Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rzt wrote: »
    Any idea how or why Person of Interest's audience has gone up from c12.5m just before Christmas to c14.5m in recent weeks since it returned? Did the repeats over Christmas rate really well and possibly have introduced new viewers to the show. In terms of total viewers, it's rating fantastically at the moment, and even in A18-49 it's closing down the gap on Grey's Anatomy.

With The Big Bang Theory rating so well at the moment (and I think bound to hit a 6.0+ in the near future), surely CBS must be considering a 2-hour comedy block on Thursdays with TBBT at 9pm? 2BG is showing a lot of potential at the moment and is probably capable of starting off an evening, so why don't they go for:

20.00- 2BG, 20.30- ROB, 21.00- TBBT, 21.30- [New sitcom], 22.00- The Mentalist

I'm not sure where POI would go though. It's been doing well recently so maybe CBS won't risk moving it elsewhere because I can't see what other 9pm slots are available. At 10pm on another night like Tuesday, it would be more difficult for it to find an audience.

Not sure why PoI is up, I don't think Rob is actually doing much better than TBBT repeats were in that slot so there's not a massive change in the lead-in. The Finder is a bit weaker than Bones, I guess. Seems like it might just be growing, which is encouraging for CBS.

There are issues with a 2 hour block. It's not just that PoI has to move but the loss of an hour of drama and CBS are already struggling to find spots for new shows. Plus, they need a 4th big comedy to anchor each hour. So far, that looks like it could be 2 Broke Girls but it's still early days for it. Then there's the question of how much longer HIMYM and TAAHM will run. Of course, if they don't open a new comedy hour then they've not got much room for sitcoms. They'd only have one slot (Thursday 8.30pm).

A bolder move, IMO, would be to open a Tuesday comedy hour at 8pm. Because for as long as they run 3 consecutive dramas, they'll never sort out that 10pm slot. If we assume NCIS:LA gets 90%+ of its audience from NCIS, then how many will get to 10pm and want to watch a third procedural? But I doubt they'll change Tuesdays - NCIS is a fixture in that 8pm slot.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I think PoI should remain on Thursday but perhaps at 10pm with The Mentalist moving to Tuesday or Sunday but it depends how it fares in the Spring, it seems to be hitting highs, wonder if any UK broadcaster will pick it up? If Channel 5 has room I think they should acquire it.

Pan Am and Charlie's Angels got picked up and Revenge and Person of Interest still haven't... it's a bit odd!
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Liverpool were in the EL they did 2-3m with bigger matches peaking at 5m, what was the peak of the Fulham final in 2010? I think 6-7m with 8m peak would be even higher if it's an all English final with Man City,

This is still very good and suppose an all Manchester final takes place and Channel 5 could get about 10 million.
    However, while Channel 5 are dropping this contract, I am pleased they've bought the cricket highlights for the next four years. Their highlights shows seem to work as they eliminate the slow bits of the tests and deliver 1-2 million viewers.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    That's right. The Mentalist followed by Castle = awesome Friday night pairing. I'm pleased as punch with that scheduling! :D

Nothing special yet again films wise. Titles include Charlie's Angels (2000), The Transporter (2002) and the post-football Van Damme title this week is Maximum Risk (1996). Yawn. Just where are these premieres we've been expecting? :confused:

It's annoying as they have plenty of titles from 2009/10 they could show like Angels and Demons and Terminator Salvation, Channel 4 are way ahead although they did show most of the bigger films last Autumn. With Men in Black 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man in cinemas later this year, I expect they'll get both MIB films and Spider-Man 2 and 3 shown.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    It's funny to me how the most unfunniest (imo) sitcoms seems to be doing outstandingly in the US. I tried to watch TBBT, and I didn't laugh not once. TAAHM is the same... Charlie Sheen or no Charlie Sheen... Still not funny to me. Yet their ratings are fantastic.

Then you have 30 Rock and Community, clever written shows, witty... Yet their ratings are dismal.

But I wonder which one sells better on DVD/itunes? I would imagine TBBT is doing great in the overnights, but shows like 30 Rock might be doing even better when in correlation to PVR viewings etc. Someone needs to check up on that one. -Looks over to C14E lol

I love TBBT, I have to say, had a terrible start, but has grown into a different and interesting show, IMHO. It's certainly not a standard sit-com. I prefer it to Community, it's not as good as 30 rock though.

I agree about the other show though, awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any predictions for the Calcutta Cup tomorrow, I'll take 6 million.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    It's annoying as they have plenty of titles from 2009/10 they could show like Angels and Demons and Terminator Salvation, Channel 4 are way ahead although they did show most of the bigger films last Autumn. With Men in Black 3 and The Amazing Spider-Man in cinemas later this year, I expect they'll get both MIB films and Spider-Man 2 and 3 shown.
    C4 are doing really well on the premiere front, they seem to have a new film on pretty much every week these days. Maybe C5 are expecting them to run out soon so they are holding fire until then? Since both broadcasters tend to use the Sunday 9pm slot now.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Any predictions for the Calcutta Cup tomorrow, I'll take 6 million.
    Not heard of that. Is it the Indian horse racing version of the Melbourne Cup? Might get a couple of million viewers, but horse racing's not as popular as it used to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »

A bolder move, IMO, would be to open a Tuesday comedy hour at 8pm. Because for as long as they run 3 consecutive dramas, they'll never sort out that 10pm slot. If we assume NCIS:LA gets 90%+ of its audience from NCIS, then how many will get to 10pm and want to watch a third procedural? But I doubt they'll change Tuesdays - NCIS is a fixture in that 8pm slot.

I think NCIS Los Angeles needs to move, I'm sure it could survive away from NCIS with a minor loss of audience. I still think they should plug the gap with an existing hit show like The Mentalist. Comedy wise, I think Rules and Rob will be renewed, Sony, the producer of Rules will want it to hit the magic 100 episodes so a 15 episode midseason order could happen but it depends on CBS' needs and whether Sony wants to cut the licensing fee for Rules, IIRC they pratically gave FOX Til Death for free in order to secure one more season for syndication.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Not heard of that. Is it the Indian horse racing version of the Melbourne Cup? Might get a couple of million viewers, but horse racing's not as popular as it used to be.

No it;s the England/ Scotland rugby union match, must admit this is about as far as my knowledge of this game goes. However, it usually is a big tie for BBC One.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    C4 are doing really well on the premiere front, they seem to have a new film on pretty much every week these days. Maybe C5 are expecting them to run out soon so they are holding fire until then? Since both broadcasters tend to use the Sunday 9pm slot now.

Channel 4 has good film titles from Paramount and Fox whereas Channel 5 only has Sony and the odd Disney and Warner Bros film, they should consider trying and getting another studio output deal along the Sony one whether it be WB, Paramount or Fox.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 has good film titles from Paramount and Fox whereas Channel 5 only has Sony and the odd Disney and Warner Bros film, they should consider trying and getting another studio output deal along the Sony one whether it be WB, Paramount or Fox.
    Agreed, they could do with a deal with another distributor. With the football on the way out they will be relying more on movies to bring in some of those more elusive viewers such as Male 16-34s.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,134
    Forum Member
    Its a shame its so hard to get hold of PBS ratings, the show is being hugely talked about in the US at the moment, and has made the front page of TV Guide -

http://weblogs.variety.com/on_the_air/2012/02/downton.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all the networks likely to have completed their drama orders, there are now 74 pilots "live" at the 5 broadcast networks. The Futon Critic lays it all out nicely.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/devwatch.aspx?series=&network=abc&daycode=2&statuscode=1&genre=drama&studio=

It's always hard to tell what will work unless you can read the scripts but there are some safe bets to get orders.

ABC have some "big name" projects. You'd bet on Marc Cherry's (Desperate Housewives) Devious Maids being picked up. It's about 4 latina maids working in Beverly Hills and sounds far more accessible than his development project last season called Hallelujah which I still don't understand! Shonda Rhimes (Grey's Anatomy) branched out this season with her Public Relations drama Scandal. Next season she's doing an 1895 period drama set at the worlds first truly luxury hotel in New York. It's titled The Gilded Lilly's. Shawn Ryan (The Shield) has Last Resort. It's about the crew of a nuclear submarine who become hunted when they refuse an order to fire a missile. An ambitious sounding project but these kinds of things can be tricky.

ABC have also swooped in to snap up the first production from Ellen Degenres' prod co. Starring Portia De Rossi (Ellen's wife!), it's about a brilliant and successful woman who ends up working for her less brilliant but more popular sister who just happens to be The Mayor. NBC had it, but let it go to ABC.

3 UK comedies being remade - Friday Night Dinner, Only Fools and Horses and White Van Man (ITV Studios sole pilot order). Bad Girls is being remade by John Wells (ER) for NBC.

NBC also ordered a pilot from JJ Abrams but you wonder what their motivations were - maybe they loved the idea or maybe it was the $2m penalty attached to the project. At that price, you're as well just doing it anyway! This kind of thing explains why bad shows get made!

The CW haven't gone for any sitcoms so far. The most talked about project there will be The Carrie Diaries - based on Carrie Bradshaw's early life. It's being helmed by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The OC, Gossip Girl, Chuck). With 8 drama pilots overall, they've got more than FOX this season as they try to revive the network under new leadership.

FOX are doing a few female lead dramas but which are set in male worlds. Two CIA projects are going to pilot - one sounds a lot like Stormbreaker (if you've ever heard of the book series). They've also got a project about a female doctor who is working for the mob. Expected to pick up lots of comedies as well so maybe opening another hour.

Two projects based on Beauty and the Beast are at pilot stage at ABC and The CW. And in a bizzare twist, Deadline today reported that the Exec Producer of the ABC show is also going to direct the pilot for The CW version. There are differences in the plots but if they both go to series, they'll have to change the titles!
  • Options
    Hollywood1989Hollywood1989 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Coronation Street 8.30pm episode probably got 12.5-13m tonight.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Coronation Street 8.30pm episode probably got 12.5-13m tonight.

Take off 3.5m and you're there.
  • Options
    Hollywood1989Hollywood1989 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Take off 3.5m and you're there.

Dont think so darling, Beckys exit got 11.5m and there was a big hype over the trial.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/03/fox-tuesday-line-up-of-raising-hope-i-hate-my-teenage-daughter-new-girl-breaking-in-starts-march-6/118628/

Starting March 6, FOX Tuesday will be all half-hour comedy shows. They are:

8pm: Raising Hope
    8:30pm: I Hate My Teenage Daughter
    9pm: New Girl
    9:30pm: Breaking In

Glee will have their "winter finale" on Feb 21 and returning with new episodes on Apr 10.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratings Charts for Week 4 of 2011 - week beginning 23rd January (overnights)
    - Top 100 Ratings of the week: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/t/k/r/Top-100.pdf (seems to be missing Monday Corrie eps though)
    - Top 30 Ratings for BBC2/C4/C5: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/t/h/z/Top-30-Channel-Overview.pdf
    - Top 30 Multichannel Ratings and Multichannel weekly Shares: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/h/l/s/Top-30-Multichannel.pdf
    - Top programmes by genre: Children's, Factual, Drama, Entertainment, Sport, Current Affairs: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/f/x/o/Genre-Overview.pdf
    - Daytime and primetime shares for the week and year so far: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/t/h/z/Top-30-Channel-Overview.pdf
    - Demographic Shares of Channels: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/v/m/c/Demographic-Focus.pdf

Also Top 30 consolidated ratings by timeshift for week ending 22nd January: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/z/w/a/Consolidated.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The CW haven't gone for any sitcoms so far. The most talked about project there will be The Carrie Diaries - based on Carrie Bradshaw's early life. It's being helmed by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The OC, Gossip Girl, Chuck). With 8 drama pilots overall, they've got more than FOX this season as they try to revive the network under new leadership.

The Carrie Diaries look like it will either start off well and then fall off, or just pull a mediocre number get an eventual renewal by May 2013. I think it is amusing how CW will commission reality shows, which clearly no one is interested in than to launch a sitcom. How long has it been since The CW actually had a sitcom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    Link: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/03/fox-tuesday-line-up-of-raising-hope-i-hate-my-teenage-daughter-new-girl-breaking-in-starts-march-6/118628/

Starting March 6, FOX Tuesday will be all half-hour comedy shows. They are:

8pm: Raising Hope
    8:30pm: I Hate My Teenage Daughter
    9pm: New Girl
    9:30pm: Breaking In

Glee will have their "winter finale" on Feb 21 and returning with new episodes on Apr 10.

So is that a vote of confidence in Raising Hope that they think it is their best hope to start the night?

Or have they just decided that none of the other 3 will do well without the lead-in and they'd rather give Breaking In a chance than Raising Hope?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont think so darling, Beckys exit got 11.5m and there was a big hype over the trial.

Becky's exit was on a Monday and had a popular outcome. Practically everyone knew Frank would get off, and the fallout from the affair was sewn up in yesterday's episode. I think both episodes will be around the 9m mark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paltonz wrote: »
    The Carrie Diaries look like it will either start off well and fall off or just pull a mediocre number get an eventual renewal by May 2013. I think it is amusing how CW will commission reality shows which clearly no one is interested in than to launch a sitcom. How long has it been since The CW actually had a sitcom?

It's ironic that The Game outrates everything on The CW but BET did a great job with it and TBH it's suits BET than the CW, I think the CW should do a sitcom block maybe on Wednesdays where theyre not succeeding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ironic that The Game outrates everything on The CW but BET did a great job with it and TBH it's suits BET than the CW, I think the CW should do a sitcom block maybe on Wednesdays where theyre not succeeding.

Wednesdays? We wish. The CW would rather have Tyra and her now bullshit gimmick cycles (All-stars, US vs UK) of ANTM than to have a sitcom!
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    - Daytime and primetime shares for the week and year so far: http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/Journals/2012/02/03/t/h/z/Top-30-Channel-Overview.pdf
    Think Channel4 are missing Celebrity Big Brother, their 2012 ratings share is most down. Channel5's on the other hand is up the most. BBC2 is also up a little bit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is that a vote of confidence in Raising Hope that they think it is their best hope to start the night?

Or have they just decided that none of the other 3 will do well without the lead-in and they'd rather give Breaking In a chance than Raising Hope?

I think a bit of the latter. FOX pretty much pitted their two weak sitcoms against ABC's Last Man Standing, which is rapidly declining and Cougar Town which even with all the hype could be in realistic ratings concern. If Cougar Town can build on LMS, that is good. However, with the season cut and multiple delays, I would be worried.
This discussion has been closed.