Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    I thought Voice might end up with an episode of Coronation St against it, but now we know it won't, because ITV pointed out the other day how Coronation St can't go out on Saturdays.
    Im sure if ITV find themselves with an episode of Corrie that cant fit in anywhere else then it would have to air on a Saturday. ;)
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Also, Broadcast are reporting that ITV are doing a one off Dancing on Ice Olympians Special which will air in July just before the games begin. Apparently it'll feature Olympians competing on the show, and will also feature performances from Torvill and Dean and judges Robin and Katarina (which is where the reports the other day came from). Whilst DOI is down on previous years I'm sure it'll still manage c7m, which would be a nice boost for ITV who are normally dead at that time of year.
    Are ITV testing the ice (water) for moving next year's series to a less competitive slot in summer? It seems a pretty tenuous link to the Olympics. I'm no expert, but I don't think there's a lot of ice-skating fever during the build up to the summer Olympics. :D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    If it was down to keeping Ant and Dec in work I'd bring back Poker Face instead, but it's obviously down to keeping Cowell happy rather than Ant and Dec. And obviously Syco don't have another format up their sleeve they could offer ITV instead.
    I wonder whether ITV might be locked into Red or Black for three years i.e. the full length of the current Factor/Talent contract.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seventeen years, apart from the revival of The Challenge Programme, as she always pedantically called it, on ITV just five years ago. In fact around that time she also did Sunday Feast, ITV's half-arsed spoiler for Something For The Weekend, for the five minutes that lasted.

How is showing Spooks opposite Downton Abbey any different to showing Hustle against Law and Order, or indeed any time the two channels show two dramas at the same time? That used to happen on Sunday nights 99% of the time. And 'stEnders was always going to be opposite something on Christmas Day, it's not like it had never been at 9pm before. Nobody moaned when it was on at 9pm in 2005 opposite The Booze Cruise, the first episode of which has massive ratings, bigger than Downton.

Didn't start until about 10.40 actually, the match finished around 10.15 but they carried on going for much longer, I thought they'd finished at 10.30 but they were just went for another ad break. Maybe just to spite STV. I'd love to know how STV announce this kind of overrun. I think the fact the match coverage had discussed all the big football news of the day, News at Ten seemed less essential.

Well it's hardly a passionate derby, it's not the big rivalry for either team, and it wouldn't have been much giantkilling either. You gain passion from derbies but it doesn't mean much outside the North East. And then because there was that breaking news, a lot of football fans probably switched to Sky Sports News when the match began,

I thought ITV's coverage was quite good actually, Adrian Chiles proving he is still a great journalist, asking proper perceptive questions, and it's a shame he doesn't get to do that more often with only five minutes to play with. Now he doesn't day Daybreak surely there's scope for a proper sports discussion show he could do.

Which is the first time, in domestic football anyway, that ITV have actually managed to hold on to a contract, as in all their previous contracts - the Football League 1988-92, the FA Cup 1997-2001 and the Prmier League 2001-04 - they never once managed to renew them.

No idea how they announced it, if they did. But these amateurs up here recently played "muzak" over a whole hour of Lorraine with no apology/explanation, suddenly inserted a test card into a news bulletin - among other mistakes. :(
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I was only saying the other week that they should bring back Surprise Surprise.

I don't see why this should be this subject of bashing (or yes I do, everything relating to ITV must be spoken of negatively)

I don't know why they don't just get Cilla to do it though.

Having said all this, as this is reported in The Sun, it probably isn't Surprise Surprise coming back at all, probably a different show that is about 25% the same.

Remember all the fuss surrounding Amanda Holden presenting a new series of The Crystal Maze. The reality was very different.

Not a bad idea if it's in its old slot after Harry Secombe's Highway( around 6-6.30 on a Sunday) to give an idea of where Cilla's Surprise Surprise used to be. Maybe hire Christopher Biggins again and ITV could have a moderate hit.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Pretty quiet on here today. So, that's an excellent figure for Celebrity Juice. Over 2m for ITV2 is a real achievement. It's grown so much over the last few years. EE scores a very good rating for a Thursday whilst Corrie has been quite stable in its odd 8.30pm slot so far this year. Emmerdale doing good as per usual. H&A is abit low though, but it did pick up a strong figure on 5*. Was tonights episode the season finale episode for 2011? Its good at the moment so its a shame its struggling. The break has hurt it quite badly. Eternal Law is finally over, which will be a relief for ITV as its done very poorly. I think Kidnap and Ransom is back in a fews weeks so that should do quite well in the 9pm slot.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Celebrity Juice's rating stands out from last night; despite his popularity I don't think Keith Lemon will find his move to ITV1 quite so easy...why don't they give him a post watershed programme; it'd suit his audience more? The soaps all performed well; EastEnders recorded a brilliant share. The 9pm dramas on the 'big two' struggled - especially Eternal Law; at least it didn't dip to Moving Wallpaper levels but it didn't rate very well at all. The Restoration Man and Winter Road Rescue benefited from this, but BBC Two saw a dip with Putin, Russia and The West.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Further to the promo they ran covering the light entertainment side of things at the start of the year, Channel 5 are showcasing their lineup of US crime dramas for a new ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tXtWdfzbs

I strongly approve of this! Great promo, and a truly awesome set of shows. And in a week where NCIS returned nearly 200,000 up on its season premiere last year before Big Brother arrived on the scene, however "confused" the channel's identity might be at the moment, it seems to be working from a viewing figures point-of-view so far this year.
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For Robbie :)

Consolidated figures for The Royal Bodyguard (Timeshift in brackets) :

Episode 1: 8.35m (+ 1.30m)
    Episode 2: 5.23m (+ 0.73m)
    Episode 3: 3.54m (+ 0.61m)
    Episode 4: 3.10m (+ 0.51m)
    Episode 5: 3.26m (+ 0.49m)
    Episode 6: TBA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    H&A is abit low though, but it did pick up a strong figure on 5*. Was tonights episode the season finale episode for 2011?
    Yes it was. Great episode tonight I thought. If there's any justice it will be close to that magic million mark, preferably above it. They certainly plugged it enough.

Hopefully this marks a return to form for the show. Under a new producer now too so we should start to see some fresh storyline ideas come through.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Digital Spy are claiming last night's Celebrity Juice was not only a series high but also a record audience for ITV2. Our friend Paul Millar with the story:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a365109/celebrity-juice-becomes-itv2s-most-watched-show-ever.html

Hope it stays off ITV1 and doesn't infest the channel.
    For Robbie :)

Consolidated figures for The Royal Bodyguard (Timeshift in brackets) :

Episode 1: 8.35m (+ 1.30m)
    Episode 2: 5.23m (+ 0.73m)
    Episode 3: 3.54m (+ 0.61m)
    Episode 4: 3.10m (+ 0.51m)
    Episode 5: 3.26m (+ 0.49m)
    Episode 6: TBA

Series average of 4.70 million, is a recommission on the cards? That's really good for a comedy. :eek:
    No. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Hope it stays off ITV1 and doesn't infest the channel.
    I think their keenness to find other ITV1 formats for Lemon probably suggests a channel swap isn't on the cards, at least not in the near future.

It's just not practical I suppose with ITV News at Ten occupying the 10pm slot every weeknight. It's probably more valuable to ITV2 just now anyway.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I can't see it moving to ITV1 anytime soon. Like Dancc says it's quite valuable to ITV2. And it's not guaranteed it would have similar success on ITV1 where it would have to do relatively better to justify such a move.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    US Ratings Thursday February 9

American Idol was up a tenth vs. last Thursday's outing but it still lost out head-to-head to CBS' The Big Bang Theory in first half hour of prime time. Sticking with Big Bang barring any upward adjustments in the finals its in a dead demo heat with Modern Family for the comedy crown during the first full week sweeps.

Elsewhere...

Person of Interest was steady with a series high and The Mentalist matched its second best outing of the season at 10PM. Rob meanwhile climbed a tenth week-on-week. On ABC Wipeout was down three tenths the same amount that Grey's Anatomy was up at 9PM pulling in one of its better performances of the season. At 10PM Private Practice was steady.

Over on NBC an hour long edition of 30 Rock was up vs. last weeks 30 minute episode. The Office however feel to its lowest levels since its first season all the way back in April 2005. On a sort of plus side for NBC a repeat of The Voice delivered their best Thursday 10PM performance since a special episode of Grimm aired there.

ABC
    8PM: Wipeout – 1.5 [5.24]
    9PM: Grey's Anatomy – 3.9 [10.10]
    10PM: Private Practice – 2.3 [6.63]

CBS
    8PM: The Big Bang Theory – 5.5 [16.06]
    8:30PM: Rob – 3.4 [11.00]
    9PM: Person of Interest – 3.3 [15.07]
    10PM: The Mentalist – 2.9 [14.36]
    Never heard of Rob but with it growing I guess it's unlikely CBS would try and crush Idol further by doubling up episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

Also wonder what the prospects are for another season of Winter Wipeout - seems to have fallen quite a bit this year, so wouldn't be surprised if the winter version is axed. I guess the main summer series will determine it's own fate this summer.
    I wonder whether ITV might be locked into Red or Black for three years i.e. the full length of the current Factor/Talent contract.
    I doubt it would be three years for an untested format, but a guaranteed two season run isn't unheard. That's the deal the BBC had with SYTYCD and I think they've done the same with The Voice too.
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really dont think Wipeout will be cancelled any time soon. Its a very cheap filler compared to the many expensive drama flops since Ugly Betty.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are ITV testing the ice (water) for moving next year's series to a less competitive slot in summer?
    Not a terrible idea. It would leave their first quarter pretty empty next year although they'll have the return of Saturday Night Takeaway and another run of Take Me Out so it won't be completely empty. They could maybe try and fast track another Webber show into the slot as well if Superstar (somehow) isn't a complete disaster this summer.
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Never heard of Rob but with it growing I guess it's unlikely CBS would try and crush Idol further by doubling up episodes of The Big Bang Theory.
    I suspect CBS will run an hour long season finale for Big Bang Theory again which on past schedules would go against the Idol semi-final. That may involve them running an episode of Rob out of a Big Bang repeat or simply carrying a season one episode over to what now appears to be a locked in second season. However I'd agree that it seems unlikely we'll see any doubling up before then.
    Also wonder what the prospects are for another season of Winter Wipeout - seems to have fallen quite a bit this year, so wouldn't be surprised if the winter version is axed. I guess the main summer series will determine it's own fate this summer.
    Its overexposed at this point. ABC have come dangerously close to just running some version of the show all year round and it appears as if audiences are growing tired of it. If they want the summer one to survive then they need to stop rolling it out as random schedule filler for the rest of the year.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked this question yesteday but why have the likes of Rzt and George stopped posting?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked this question yesteday but why have the likes of Rzt and George stopped posting?

Without wanting to sound harsh, people do have real lives. :o Like the past few days I've only been on first thing and from 8pm in the evening due to Uni. Hence only passing comments from me lately and no roundups.
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I've only been on first thing and from 8pm in the evening due to Uni. Hence only passing comments from me lately and no roundups.

Crisis meetings RE 'Sunday night' could probably explain GeorgeS' absence. ;)

As for you Dave, when has Uni ever taken priority? (the same goes for any student)

This is the ratings thread. We need roundups! Sort it out! ;):)
  • Options
    C.M.W.C.M.W. Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Big hitter coming soon.

6 x 2.

Shhhhhh........... ;)
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C.M.W. wrote: »
    Big hitter coming soon.

6 x 2.

Shhhhhh........... ;)

That'll be Silent Witness then. ;)

I guess it's looking at a Thursday/Friday split then with Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays all booked up for the next few weeks at least.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

rzt hasn't posted since late Monday evening, he does have a degree course to attend to currently I believe. GeorgeS won't be around until ITV1 starts hitting big non soap ratings, so maybe Easter time....:D
  • Options
    C.M.W.C.M.W. Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    That'll be Silent Witness then. ;)

I guess it's looking at a Thursday/Friday split then with Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays all booked up for the next few weeks at least.

It's still a few weeks off, by the time it TXs, Mon/Tue would be available, but days of transmission are to be decided.

It's in the cupboard now, anyway.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few adjustments with the US finals.

Perhaps the most newsworthy one is The Big Bang Theory adjusted up a tenth (to a 5.6) putting it a tenth ahead of ABC's Modern Family for the biggest comedy of the week. That's also a Thursday high for Big Bang Theory and in fact the CBS line-up as a whole hit season highs on Thursday night.

Full adjustments

American Idol (5.8), Big Bang Theory (5.6), Grey's Anatomy (4.0), The Mentalist (3.0) and Vampire Diaries (1.3) all up a tenth. Rob (3.3), The Finder (2.2), Private Practice (2.2) and Up All Night (1.7) all down a tenth.

In cable news the wheels seem to be coming off of Jersey Shore in the US. It dropped seventh tenths last week and last night dropped another two tenths. That's just shy of an entire point over the course of two episodes. Of course its still hitting a 3.0 which was enough to beat everything but The Mentalist at 10PM...
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Further to the promo they ran covering the light entertainment side of things at the start of the year, Channel 5 are showcasing their lineup of US crime dramas for a new ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2tXtWdfzbs

I strongly approve of this! Great promo, and a truly awesome set of shows. And in a week where NCIS returned nearly 200,000 up on its season premiere last year before Big Brother arrived on the scene, however "confused" the channel's identity might be at the moment, it seems to be working from a viewing figures point-of-view so far this year.

Good promo but odd not to include OUAT, Dallas or The Walking Dead, maybe they'll be shown separately or as part of a different drama trailer.
This discussion has been closed.