Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    If they insist on EE having some presence a short run of spin-off E20 over the period would be best.
    that is one idea, however I dont think its one EE fans would be happy with. E20 is not something the fans have taken to.
    Agent F wrote: »
    There was never going to be even the slightest possibility of EastEnders being rested for the Olympics, and there will certainly be a strong 'anti-Olympics' audience out there seeking an alternative which the BBC has to cater for. Moving it to BBC2 seems sensible enough.
    yep I agree, you can count me one of those anti Olympic types.

So ratings, Hustle still matching L&O, all the way to the finish line, really great rating for Norton however.

EE, I know ive said recently that EE has not been as good, but this week has been very good, Thursday and Friday both excellent, it would have deserved a 9 million rating this Friday.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 tends to have a good Friday due to the two soaps and a strong drama at 9pm. Their weakest weekday nights seem to be those where only Emmerdale is showing.
  • Options
    LRoseLRose Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Isn't there a storyline in EE to coincide with the olympics where Billy Mitchell gets to carry the torch? If so that's one reason why EE can't be taken off air during the olympics.
    Dancc wrote: »
    To be fair, the interior changed drastically for this January's series compared to the summer. And they only had about 5 weeks excluding Christmas to get it all ready.

We might see some more significant changes this summer as they'll have longer to prepare.
    I'd like to see some changes to the layout. One of the things I liked about BB on Channel Four was that the house was completely different from one year to the next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do the Saturday 5.30 football matches fare on Sky Sports?
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    that is one idea, however I dont think its one EE fans would be happy with. E20 is not something the fans have taken to.

yep I agree, you can count me one of those anti Olympic types.

So ratings, Hustle still matching L&O, all the way to the finish line, really great rating for Norton however.

EE, I know ive said recently that EE has not been as good, but this week has been very good, Thursday and Friday both excellent, it would have deserved a 9 million rating this Friday.
    Monday's episode was Crap but the rest of the week was pretty good. Thursday's episode got 9 million
    LRose wrote: »
    Isn't there a storyline in EE to coincide with the olympics where Billy Mitchell gets to carry the torch? If so that's one reason why EE can't be taken off air during the olympics.
    I'd like to see some changes to the layout. One of the things I liked about BB on Channel Four was that the house was completely different from one year to the next.
    Yes! Billy will carry the Olympic Torch Through Walford
    and the episode will be Partly LIVE:)
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will happen beforehand during the torch relay.

Back to tonight and a possibility the rugby will be called off - and if it begins it could be abandoned. I expect BBC2 have Coast on standby!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And it's off.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    France v Ireland has been postponed in the Six Nations, which leaves a big hole in the BBC Two schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but that is set before the opening ceremony, so it does not require EE to be on air during the Olympics
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    How do the Saturday 5.30 football matches fare on Sky Sports?

Not very well as they are almost all Championship games and they are up against PL games on ESPN.

I think they generally get approx 400,000 (programme average).

Sky usually shows about 2 or 3 Sat 5.30pm PL games per season.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's one way to keep the Irish tuned to BBC2... "Country Music on the BBC" replaces the frozen-off rugby.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    the H&A season finale episode for 2011 didn't do well at all - 760k is a disaster really.
    Agreed, it's a terrible rating. The show is in a real mess now. At first I thought it was just a temporary wobble, but Friday's episode was a pretty major episode for H&A standards and had been promoted right across the channel. If it can't even top 900k in those circumstances then the show is in crisis.

I wonder where the viewers have gone? The 6pm competition hasn't changed at all. Unless more people are flocking to the ITV regional news given the recent cold spell. This is a possibility as the timing does seem to roughly correlate. We'll soon see as milder weather is due next week. If H&A doesn't pick up then we can rule that one out.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a reprieve for ITV's beleaguered Saturday schedule with the rugby off.

At least Ross won't get beat by a Pompeii repeat....
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All things being equal, the BBC1 & ITV1 schedules seem quite evenly matched tonight, both have a mix of fairly big shows and lesser shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    That's one way to keep the Irish tuned to BBC2... "Country Music on the BBC" replaces the frozen-off rugby.
    Seems to be little thought nowadays put into last minute replacements - I'd imagine a mass turn off at 8.05pm on BBC2. BBC HD have gone for a repeat of Toughest Place to be a Binman, which is possibly a bit closer in the demos, and if nothing else gives viewers a chance to see a new BBC2 series.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Agreed, it's a terrible rating. The show is in a real mess now. At first I thought it was just a temporary wobble, but Friday's episode was a pretty major episode for H&A standards and had been promoted right across the channel. If it can't even top 900k in those circumstances then the show is in crisis.

I wonder where the viewers have gone? The 6pm competition hasn't changed at all. Unless more people are flocking to the ITV regional news given the recent cold spell. This is a possibility as the timing does seem to roughly correlate. We'll soon see as milder weather is due next week. If H&A doesn't pick up then we can rule that one out.
    I'd say by H&A standards though the finale was very weak - it's certainly not noticeably the season finale as it usually is. Indeed someone getting shot is pretty much like any other week in Summer Bay! ;)

As for where the viewers have gone - away from TV I'd guess, but how well is The Chase doing on ITV1+1 picking up the viewers from Pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Not very well as they are almost all Championship games and they are up against PL games on ESPN.

I think they generally get approx 400,000 (programme average).

Sky usually shows about 2 or 3 Sat 5.30pm PL games per season.

I know the Championship games on BBC Two can pull in 2 million. Actually some of the Championship clubs have big followings like Birmingham City, but the others like Doncaster Rovers have lower league type followings.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Harry Hill's aside at the beginning of TV Burp.

"You never know, I might be back in the Autumn".
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I'd say by H&A standards though the finale was very weak - it's certainly not noticeably the season finale as it usually is. Indeed someone getting shot is pretty much like any other week in Summer Bay! ;)
    LOL. It was back in the good old days. These days there are not enough villains for that and the characters are more likely to end up in hospital through their own stupidity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I liked Harry Hill's aside at the beginning of TV Burp.

"You never know, I might be back in the Autumn".
    the episode got me thinking about the often discussed topic of "loyal ITV viewers" would the woman who got excited about appearing on one of ITVs local news, count as a loyal ITV viewer? Hustle also seem to be taking a few jibes at ITV as well.

Pretty sure TV Burp has finished now, whatever joke Harry might make, or what newspaper articles may report.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV1 tends to have a good Friday due to the two soaps and a strong drama at 9pm. Their weakest weekday nights seem to be those where only Emmerdale is showing.

ITV1 appear very dated when you consider EM and CS form the backbone of their M-F primetime schedule. Of course they are very popular shows. Currently they don't have a lot else to shout about weeknights, European football saving their embarrassment often. Next week they have 2 football nights, 2 soap sandwiches and one flopzone. Whitechapel amd Law & Order UK bookending the weeknight schedules.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon MOTD could see more of an increase tonight after events at Old Trafford at lunchtime. Certainly got alot of people talking about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, ITV have a good night, but lets dismiss that and keep the usual bashing going as per usual
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    the episode got me thinking about the often discussed topic of "loyal ITV viewers" would the woman who got excited about appearing on one of ITVs local news, count as a loyal ITV viewer? Hustle also seem to be taking a few jibes at ITV as well.

Pretty sure TV Burp has finished now, whatever joke Harry might make, or what newspaper articles may report.

Sounds like the TV snobbery is rearing it's ugly head again. :eek:
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,480
    Forum Member
    Been a relatively close drama battle between Hustle and Law and Order. The latter has surprised me in it's resilience, and I think ITV will be rather pleased with it's competitiveness. Hustle is a bit down on the last few series and it feels like the right time to end (though it continues to time shift close to that 6m barrier). I wonder if it'll take any sort of boost for the final episode next week? Hope so. It's been a terrific servant to the channel and - alongside other departed stablemates like Spooks and Waking the Dead - can take a lot of credit for BBC One's relative success over the past decade.

Room 101 has been equipping itself rather well at 8.30, but seems to be dropping episode-on-episode which is a worry. IIRC, it's now well below what QI used to pull in that slot. Though I understand that tonally, QI felt very "BBC2-ish" - I personally wouldn't have fiddled given it's ratings. And I can't understand why it was shifted back again if the effective replacement was going to be a slightly glossed-up version of another former BBC2 panel game...

Graham Norton recorded an excellent figure and really seems to be going from strength-to-strength. Ross' departure was a blessing and Graham now seems comfortable on the channel - after a number of awkward years lurching from panel games, to BBC2, to Saturday Night entertainment. He could stay where he is for years now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good point about Room 101 being a revamped BBC 2 show, but the other problem is that it could also be a "Made by Dave" program on Dave. I enjoy it but im not sure its BBC 1 worthy.
This discussion has been closed.