Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 31)

Comments

• Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    No it didn't reinvent it, but it's returned it to the forefront of the public's eye.

Before Downton, BBC have always had period drama on, what with Cranford, Larkrise, Pride & Prejudice etc etc etc
  • Options
    myscrapbook2011myscrapbook2011 Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LRose wrote: »
    I know it's only a small thing but I'm getting sick of them using the same layout of the BB house. That's another reason it shouldn't be on back to back.

The house has been the same for 3 series now. I hope they have made changes for this year's summer series as if they keep the same layout and only make minor alterations to the decor again it really will feel like they are doing the show on a cheap budget.

They only had 6 weeks to do refurbishments. It's not about budget, it's about available time! The next series will have a different layout. And it's not like CBB has never had the same layout as the prevous BB series..... Channel 4 did that all the time..... Please get over the Channel 5 knocking.....

Oh, and the budget is THE SAME as it was on Channel 4.....
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    - Silent Witness (12x60) looks likely to return on Monday and Tuesday's from Monday 19th March, bringing a possible clash with Scott & Bailey

Quite a big drama clash there. SW will probably edge it but it'll be pretty close and both will be dented.
    - Celebrity Pointless starts in March for 8 weeks on Saturday evenings, probably from Saturday 17th March after the current run of Winter Wipeout ends
    - With all the above in mind, Saturday 24th March can be pencilled in for the start of The Voice

The BBC One Saturday schedule from mid-March will therefore look like:

18:30 - Celebrity Pointless
    19:30 - The Voice
    20:30 - Lottery
    21:20 - Casualty
    22:10 - BBC News
    22:30 - Match of the Day

Although depending on how well it launches it may end up moving due to Britain's Got Talent, if it stuck with a very good 6/7m audience then they could stick to their guns and pit it with a BGT overlap, but if it dipped to 5/6m, then it may be in their interests to move it away from BGT if such a situation arose.

I don't really see much point in The Voice going against BGT - they'll hurt themselves more than they'd hurt BGT doing that. That schedule will probably shift 30 mins earlier (with Pointless only 45 mins) so The Voice will probably air at 7pm. They'll need that spare half hour later on for a Voice Results show anyway (they'll probably get some comedy to take the slot for the first few weeks). So with that in mind the Saturday night schedules may look like:

BBC1
    18:15 - Pointless Celebrities
    19:00 - The Voice
    20:00 - In It To Win It
    20:50 - BBC News
    21:05 - The Voice Results
    21:35 - Casualty
    22:25 - Match of The Day

ITV1
    18:45 - You've Been Framed
    19:15 - Keith's Lemonaid
    20:00 - Britain's Got Talent
    21:00 - Mad Mad World
    21:30 - Piers Morgan's Life Stories

If BBC1 are smart they'll put the news on against the end of BGT (as they did for a few weeks in 2009) so that The Voice and Casualty can avoid it. That way The Voice Results gets to start just after BGT ends, capturing a load of BGT viewers. Casualty could start at 21:05 for a few weeks before The Voice gets a results show. Lemonaid is almost confirmed for that slot and as Mad Mad World is recording this month I guess that'll get the post- BGT slot. Piers has confirmed Life Stories will be back in April so I guess he'll go after Mad Mad World.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Heartbeat was on way too long and the demos were bad, it was mostly watched by old people. Yet it still pulled in 5 million viewers and could have been replaced by a similar easygoing show.
    I did a little research on Where The Heart Is and didn't realise it ran for 9 years. Yet it fell into the same trap as Heartbeat, ratings were reasonable, but it was deadly slow and the demos were as bad as Heartbeat's, certainly anyone under 35 avoided it like the plague.

I am 24 and the only programme I have ever watched on ITV1 on a Sunday (besides the Crossroads Omnibus in 2003) was Where The Heart Is.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    - MOTD peaks with 5.7m
    * peak up 0.1m week-on-week
    - Take Me Out peaks with 6.0m (includes +1)
    * peak identical week-on-week

Source: John Williams

Cheers for those. Also:

-France vs England peaked with 7.1m.
    -BBC1's all hours share of 23.2% was more than twice that of any other channel.

Source: Sam Hodges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    And yet, by some distance, it's the idea that has been suggested most on here since Big Brother arrived on Channel 5 and the celebrity series did the business whilst the normal series underperformed. Now it looks like it might be happening, it's going down like a lead balloon! But why wouldn't they want to expand upon the most successful part of the franchise? It's a logical progression.

Without question a full length summer series + 2xCBB's would be overkill for a show past its peak. But the days of 13 week long runs are a thing of the past with the last series of BB coming in at just 9 weeks. If they were to cut that down a bit more and do say a 6-8 week run during May/June, and then another Celeb BB in say September, that could work with sufficient enough gap between each. It's not as though Celebrity Big Brother is a big commitment for the viewer at just 3 weeks long so I think they could easily get away with two per year.

None of this has been confirmed yet so hold your horses before you get the knives out. The contract is being renegotiated, that's the story at the moment. We won't know the details until that process is complete.

One thing I can be sure of, whatever the outcome, the response on here will be extremely critical.

Yes, the Channel Snobs will be out in force.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I think the best thing for BB is to drop the summer series if it performs as badly as last year and air two celeb versions a year. This will guarantee Channel 5 2-3 million viewers for six weeks of the year.
    Actually Channel 5 have been shrewd with BB. Gone are the pointless fanzine shows like BBLB and the through the night coverage, with people asleep. Also cutting the length of the series was a good idea as the whole show was becoming an overlong and unpopular bore on Channel 4.
    BB still has life in it and I reckon the celeb version should be with us for a few years yet. I'm not in its demographic but fair play to Channel 5 for landing a hit for them.
    ( ITV1 must be well miffed that their reality offering, The Biggest Loser, was beaten by CBB).

I think the original 10 weeks from season 1 was more than enough.
  • Options
    Emine.CEmine.C Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Thank you wrote: »
    That's a lame excuse and totally unfounded it got low ratings because the show is poor at the moment, and it got near enough the same ratings on Monday night so don't give us all that rubbish.:D
    I think you'll find Friday is always the lowest rated EE of the week. Maybe it's you who needs to do some research.

If EE is so "poor" at the moment how come it got 9.2m on Thursday?

Fact is EE is doing fine. I'll grant you Monday didn't perform brilliantly but the competition was stronger than it normally is. That Caroline Quentin thing got 4.5m viewers, up on the ratings ITV usually has in that slot. But Tuesday, Thursday and even Friday by its usual standards performed fine.

Nobody said Corrie was in crisis when it dropped below 7m last month did they? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Before Downton, BBC have always had period drama on, what with Cranford, Larkrise, Pride & Prejudice etc etc etc

And how many of them took 10m as live? In fact, how many of them took above 8m as live?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emine.C wrote: »
    I think you'll find Friday is always the lowest rated EE of the week. Maybe it's you who needs to do some research.

Fact is EE is doing fine. I'll grant you Monday didn't perform brilliantly but the competition was stronger than it normally is. That Caroline Quentin thing got 4.5m viewers, up on the ratings ITV usually has in that slot. But Tuesday, Thursday and even Friday by its usual standards performed fine.

Nobody said Corrie was in crisis when it dropped below 7m last month did they? :rolleyes:

Erm, unless you've been on Mars, then you would know Coronation Street WAS bashed on here by BBC-Vistas.....
  • Options
    LRoseLRose Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    They only had 6 weeks to do refurbishments. It's not about budget, it's about available time! The next series will have a different layout. And it's not like CBB has never had the same layout as the prevous BB series..... Channel 4 did that all the time..... Please get over the Channel 5 knocking.....

Oh, and the budget is THE SAME as it was on Channel 4.....
    Erm excuse me I am not knocking Channel 5 for the sake of it. I have watched all 3 series of Big Brother that they have shown and the Celebrity series just gone is one of my fave series of all time.

All I pointed out was we have had the same layout in the BB house for 3 series now. That has never happened before and if it's as a result of running the show back to back then I wouldn't like to see 3 series close together again.
  • Options
    LRoseLRose Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    You must be an BBC-Vista then. Because you've obviously forgetten about Louise Berridge and Kathleen Hutchinson's reigns as EP of EE..... Emmerdale was at the time the no2 soap..... Get over it..... It's already happened.....
    Unfortunately (for you) BARB doesn't support your claims.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really have to use the term BBCista and ITVista and also Channel snob? Unnecessary.
    Score wrote: »
    BBC1
    18:15 - Pointless Celebrities
    19:00 - The Voice
    20:00 - In It To Win It
    20:50 - BBC News
    21:05 - The Voice Results
    21:35 - Casualty
    22:25 - Match of The Day

ITV1
    18:45 - You've Been Framed
    19:15 - Keith's Lemonaid
    20:00 - Britain's Got Talent
    21:00 - Mad Mad World
    21:30 - Piers Morgan's Life Stories

If BBC1 are smart they'll put the news on against the end of BGT (as they did for a few weeks in 2009) so that The Voice and Casualty can avoid it. That way The Voice Results gets to start just after BGT ends, capturing a load of BGT viewers. Casualty could start at 21:05 for a few weeks before The Voice gets a results show. Lemonaid is almost confirmed for that slot and as Mad Mad World is recording this month I guess that'll get the post- BGT slot. Piers has confirmed Life Stories will be back in April so I guess he'll go after Mad Mad World.

It's quite interesting, because I can see both Lemonaid and Mad Mad World only getting 3m/4m which means The Voice should quite comfortably walkover it, unless viewers do not take to it.

I would say strong schedules for both, BBC's on paper looks strong but ITV's not so strong depends how The Voice does, really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm excuse me I am not knocking Channel 5 for the sake of it. I have watched all 3 series of Big Brother that they have shown and the Celebrity series just gone is one of my fave series of all time.

All I pointed out was we have had the same layout in the BB house for 3 series now. That has never happened before and if it's as a result of running the show back to back then I wouldn't like to see 3 series close together again.

Perhaps you should have worded your OP better then. People wouldn't mistake it for channel bashing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately (for you) BARB doesn't support your claims.

Even more unfortunate for you, I'm going through BARB now and have found 2 months of ratings SO FAR where ED was ABOVE EE.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really have to use the term BBCista and ITVista and also Channel snob? Unnecessary.

It will only be unnecessary when FM's DON'T behave like that.....
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There were plenty of people saying Corrie was in crisis last month (and a few papers as well)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even more unfortunate for you, I'm going through BARB now and have found 2 months of ratings SO FAR where ED was ABOVE EE.....

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=45230037&postcount=16

So no, Emmerdale hasn't been above EastEnders in at least the last 10 years.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They did actually!

Some posters still like to think Corrie is in crisis even when it isn't!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

It is a fact that Emmerdale is the 3rd soap. EE and Corrie are the only soaps that are the most watched.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is why this thread gets so many parts surely this discussion re: soaps can be done on the Soap Forum.....just saying
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    It is a fact that Emmerdale is the 3rd soap. EE and Corrie are the only soaps that are the most watched.

A position it has always held, unfortunately. Going back to the pre Eastenders era, Crossroads beat Emmerdale Farm two to one in the ratings. However, in its original form, Emmerdale Farm was an easygoing drama about country life.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Emmerdale Farm went out at lunchtimes when ITV started expanding into Daytime TV. It was actually based on RTE's The Riordans which pre-dated it by some years. Like the RTE series it was notable for an early use of videotape (rather than film) on location, RTE deploying an OB to record the Riordans which was also about a farming family. Early Emmerdales were much closer to The Archers, dispensing tips to farmers mixed with some soap drama, rather a long way from its present story lines:eek:
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The original Emmerdale Farm went out at lunchtimes when ITV started expanding into Daytime TV. It was actually based on RTE's The Riordans which pre-dated it by some years. Like the RTE series it was notable for an early use of videotape (rather than film) on location, RTE deploying an OB to record the Riordans which was also about a farming family. Early Emmerdales were much closer to The Archers, dispensing tips to farmers mixed with some soap drama, rather a long way from its present story lines:eek:

It was only shown for six months of the year and Border used to show it at 3.30 in the late seventies before giving it a 7.00 slot. Emmerdale Farm was always regarded as the other soap, as Crossroads and Coronation St had double the audience, even if it was a good rural drama.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we really have to use the term BBCista and ITVista and also Channel snob? Unnecessary

I agree. Really unnecessary and frankly quite rude. From what I can see Scrapbook, you are the one being immature about all this channel nonsense. Can you please stop acting like a five year old? It makes the thread a bit of an unpleasant read sometimes.

As for last night, that's a good peak for Take Me Out. I wonder what the average was? In the back of my mind, I was predicting that it would increase its audience slightly from last week after the contestant in last Saturday's show (Damien) got a lot of people talking.
This discussion has been closed.