Options

Netflix is Coming

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving netflix, though I must admit it has got me addicted to '24'. So much so that I have exhausted the 4 seasons available on netflix and ironically have now had to take out a lovefilm subscription just so that I can watch the DVD's of seasons 5 to 8 - ;-)

Change you dns http://www.unblock-us.com then Netflix has seasons 1 to 8 for streaming.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    azimo wrote: »
    So how many have stuck with Netflix, who's now paying for the service, I'll start my first sub was taken friday, I'm going to give the service a couple of months to see if it gets bettter.

I have for another month at least, thinking of also changing my lovefilm subscription to a slightly higher one as well, best of both worlds for no more than the cost of the T.V licence which I don't have any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving netflix, though I must admit it has got me addicted to '24'. So much so that I have exhausted the 4 seasons available on netflix and ironically have now had to take out a lovefilm subscription just so that I can watch the DVD's of seasons 5 to 8 - ;-)

i watched two episodes of 24 and could never get into it. might try again at some point.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Change you dns http://www.unblock-us.com then Netflix has seasons 1 to 8 for streaming.

Now is unblock-us.com legal ? I know they advertise on the net, and take pay-pal, but is it legal ? circumventing copyright laws.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Now is unblock-us.com legal ? I know they advertise on the net, and take pay-pal, but is it legal ? circumventing copyright laws.

It's not illegal to change your DNS.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno about the legality of using something such as Unblock-US to access US Netflix etc., but...

... Personally, I don't see how it is any different to importing US DVDs and Blu-rays. In both cases, streaming US content or importing US discs, you are paying to access content which has not been licensed for distribution in your own country. Plus, key point, you're still paying Netflix... so it's not the same as using Torrents or Newsgroups to download TV/films without paying...
  • Options
    ThriceShyThriceShy Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    It's not illegal to change your DNS.

This is true but you are doing so to access content you aren't entitled to and you are doing so knowing full well that is the case.

The biggest danger, of course, is that Netflix will notice and ban you but I suppose that is unlikely if they are still taking your money.

If millions of people in this country start doing it and the rights holders get wind of it then their could be trouble but realistically how many people in this country know about changing DNS?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    ThriceShy wrote: »

The biggest danger, of course, is that Netflix will notice and ban you but I suppose that is unlikely if they are still taking your money.
    Apparently Netflix are fully aware, but are not too bothered according to a comment on the YouTube video that was posted.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I have for another month at least, thinking of also changing my lovefilm subscription to a slightly higher one as well, best of both worlds for no more than the cost of the T.V licence which I don't have any more.

Could be wrong but fairly sure you need to have a TV licence to steam TV.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need a TV Licence only to watch or record TV as it is being broadcast. No need for something like Netflix or Lovefilm, or for watching "catch-up" TV via services such as iPlayer, 4oD, etc.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started watching "Weeds" on Netflix, but they only have Seasons 1-3, so I've started to rent the DVDs from Lovefilm!

I'm not sure I'll keep Netflix for much longer. There just isn't enough content I like.
  • Options
    gonefishingonefishin Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    You need a TV Licence only to watch or record TV as it is being broadcast. No need for something like Netflix or Lovefilm, or for watching "catch-up" TV via services such as iPlayer, 4oD, etc.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

Although worth noting that the PC and mobile versions of iPlayer also incorporate live channels, for which you would need a TV Licence if you were to watch them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    ThriceShy wrote: »
    This is true but you are doing so to access content you aren't entitled to and you are doing so knowing full well that is the case.

If millions of people in this country start doing it and the rights holders get wind of it then their could be trouble but realistically how many people in this country know about changing DNS?

The right holders are still in the 20th century and just don't get that the online world has made the world smaller and that what is available in the same language, most will want to see that content as well.

The sooner its ironed out to a more global rights issue, the less money is lost from pirating or watching content by bypassing blocks to stop anyone watching a programme they wish to watch.

No doubt there are those over there that use DNS services to get access to BBC iplayer. (Can't see anyone wanting access or the rubbish on ITV player...)

It's a shame that the industry like this isn't willing to catch up. Lovefilm had ages to gain online streaming access to programming way before Netflix came about but didn't.

As for programming rights on Sky Anytime +, that should not stop another service from accessing it if it's locked to one ISP at the moment, same can be said for VM's On-Demand service.

The UK has this very weird sense of locking things away in lots of very small services that aren't available to all. It's no wonder some import from US/Australia when there is a title available there and not here.

For example there's some Australia PAL discs that have better special features than what the UK devision of a movie company can be bothered to do.

It's the content providers that need to change and get their acts together if they want to really stop this sort of bypassing to gain access to content.

If people are willing to pay for it, then there is a market to release more stuff in a particular part of the world. I'm glad Netflix has not only kicked Amazon off the sofa to do something but also with Sky to open up Anytime+ to any online provider. If Netflix didn't open up here, both of those companies would still be stagnated so to speak.

Then again I do feel that Sky has stagnated in itself, it crushes all competition and it's like Intel was way back when AMD woke it up with it's Athlon processors and again with the AMD64 processors.

Just a shame there's no actual company big enough to push Sky once more to evolve and improve itself once again. (Don't class 3D channel being enough, that's just a gimmick really.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, you are wrong. People really should read their T.v licence and see what it entitles you to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gonefishin wrote: »
    Although worth noting that the PC and mobile versions of iPlayer also incorporate live channels, for which you would need a TV Licence if you were to watch them.

If you want to watch them, which I don't.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to watch them, which I don't.

Thank you for sharing that, I'll sleep easy tonight now:rolleyes:

Tvcatchup seem to be in and out of court over what exactly a 'live' channel is. I use them but to be honest am surprised they are still in business.

I hope Netflix puts out season three of Warehouse 13.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, you are wrong. People really should read their T.v licence and see what it entitles you to watch.

A TV Licence is not just for TV sets

Watching TV on the internet
    You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+ You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.

Mobile phones A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.

so if you wtach TV via the internet that is live in another country, although probably not legal, you don't need a licence:D
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Is everyone using Unblock US or has someone found a free alternative? My trial is up and whilst I'm happy to sub to Netflix I really don't want to have to pay for IP changing software.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    Is everyone using Unblock US or has someone found a free alternative? My trial is up and whilst I'm happy to sub to Netflix I really don't want to have to pay for IP changing software.
    Im paying for unblockUS now. I couldnt find a free alternative.
    It only works out at about £3ish a month.

I didnt want to give them my card details, but found out i can pay by paypal. So thats not too bad.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You didn't need to do that.
    All you need to do is apply the DNS workaround thats been posted many times to your device and you can access the US Netflix content using the same account and then you've got access to all the episodes of 24.

Duly noted ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im paying for unblockUS now. I couldnt find a free alternative.
    It only works out at about £3ish a month.

I didnt want to give them my card details, but found out i can pay by paypal. So thats not too bad.

Cheers.
    Shame there's such a stark difference in content between the two sites. I'll probably end up paying it so it's good that I can do it by paypal.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers.
    Shame there's such a stark difference in content between the two sites. I'll probably end up paying it so it's good that I can do it by paypal.

The strange thing is its not just the US site having content that the UK doesn't. The UK has content the US doesn't.

Just wish because of this there was an easy way to switch between the unblock.us DNS and the standard as remembering the ip addresses and manually changing them back and forth is a pain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    The strange thing is its not just the US site having content that the UK doesn't. The UK has content the US doesn't.

Just wish because of this there was an easy way to switch between the unblock.us DNS and the standard as remembering the ip addresses and manually changing them back and forth is a pain

Do the manual DNS server fields reset when you click obtain automatically? Thinking you could leave the IP in the box and just hit the auto button for UK stuff.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »

On my Sony Blu Ray player it saves the DNS numbers so I can switch between Auto and Manual as I please without having to re-input any numbers.(it's just a shame I don't use it for Netflix at the moment)
    On my Wii I've set up two wireless connections with connection 1 on Auto settings for UK content and connection 2 on manual DNS for US content and can easily switch between the two.
    Perhaps your device offers a simar solution?
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    How does this compare to Hotspot Shield (VPN rather than DNS solution) which I have used before (for free) on a PC? I see that HS now also have an iPad App (but this is about £0.99/month)