Options

Queen Adele's 21 Overtakes Taylor Swift's Fearless In US Sales

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Well as you say for taylor it happened far more naturally there for had time to adjust as you say Adele has been thrust into it so if she has the occasional outburst so what :p

And she toured solidly for 19 and up until her throat surgery in november she had been promoting 21 by that point for a year and they aint easy songs to sing

Taylor had been touring for almost 2 years, this tour alone she played over 100 concerts some lasting almost 2.5 hours, thats a darn lot of singing.

As i said adele has clearly got throat problems regardless of how much she sings, singing alone dont cause problems, its underlying problems that do, adele's smoking i guess is making them a lot worse. But smoking is a drug and its hard to stop so maybe her habit may result in her only being a studio artsit with very little touring and will that be enough for any serious longevity.?

IMO she needs to take a few years off out of the spotlight to sort herself out, it would give the UK a good rest from her as well, allowing other artists time to grab a bit of the spotlight.
    This is not just because i dont like adele I would say the same about any artist, i think the UK has had overkill from her really and we all need a break ;)
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taylor had been touring for almost 2 years, this tour alone she played over 100 concerts some lasting almost 2.5 hours, thats a darn lot of singing.

As i said adele has clearly got throat problems regardless of how much she sings, singing alone dont cause problems, its underlying problems that do, adele's smoking i guess is making them a lot worse. But smoking is a drug and its hard to stop so maybe her habit may result in her only being a studio artsit with very little touring and will that be enough for any serious longevity.?

IMO she needs to take a few years off out of the spotlight to sort herself out, it would give the UK a good rest from her as well, allowing other artists time to grab a bit of the spotlight.
    This is not just because i dont like adele I would say the same about any artist, i think the UK has had overkill from her really and we all need a break ;)

True but prior to being famous Adele toured extensively she does tour :p

And yes smoking will damage her voice in the end like so many stars Marianne Faithfull, Amy, Whitney but as a smoker once you start its difficult to stop but at least like Rihanna she doesn't seem to want to advocate it to youngsters.

Oh totally i agree unlike 19 which had success and was well received both here and internationally it was not so overplayed that i hate it in fact its an album i play regularly but 21 has reached overkill seriously overbaked it now so yes a break in a way great because when Amy winehouse went away it allowed both Duffy and Adele and similar artists to seep through so it would be good all round for everyone and people will welcome her back once we have had time to miss her :p
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMFAO :eek:

feel free to give reasons why taylor swift is a bigger star than britney or beyonce, both are famous worldwide , both have more albums sales both have done better in the singles charts, taylor swift has sold 5 million records outside the US after three albums and is not a worldwide star, the only reason i even know about her is you talking nonsense about her on here
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stan wars, is what this thread has turned into - although it seems there is a real lack of debate on the quality of material offered by both artists, or indeed to talent of the artists themselves. The fallacy of appeal to authority is being dished out numerous here especially in relation to Taylor Swift (see metacritic and Grammys and correction, Adele has won 2 more grammys' than Ms Swift, not one).

I'd say though, looking at the careers at both, fundementally Adele is superior to Ms Swift on two counts; vocals and song writing. Ms Swift's vocal range is very limited, and adds very little to her songs. Simarly, the production of songs is very samey - mid-tempo pop, with a guitar riff. I don't take anything from it; it's inoffensive, which is perhaps why Ms Swift has garnered such success from the tween/teen market in the US, but not much in Europe. Ms Swift analytical skills, and ability to interpret things during songwriting is very poor, too.

She doesn't seem to have the ability to take situations that she expriences, and interpret them with maturity, or indeed to distingush them from other expriences. What results is a real lack of diversifaction with her writing, and very narrow, samey pieces. Adele, by contrast has an excellent vocal range - and does have the ability to interpret songs, and add mature themes. It's wierd, because in some ways Taylor Swift and Adele write along simlar subject matters, i.e shit relationships.

Difference is, though Adele actually sounds like a grown woman talking about real expriences, that many can relate too, and her audience can grow with. While Taylor Swift, still sounds like she is fourteen and hasn't learned much about the realities of life.
  • Options
    robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stan wars, is what this thread has turned into - although it seems there is a real lack of debate on the quality of material offered by both artists, or indeed to talent of the artists themselves. The fallacy of appeal to authority is being dished out numerous here especially in relation to Taylor Swift (see metacritic and Grammys and correction, Adele has won 2 more grammys' than Ms Swift, not one).

I'd say though, looking at the careers at both, fundementally Adele is superior to Ms Swift on two counts; vocals and song writing. Ms Swift's vocal range is very limited, and adds very little to her songs. Simarly, the production of songs is very samey - mid-tempo pop, with a guitar riff. I don't take anything from it; it's inoffensive, which is perhaps why Ms Swift has garnered such success from the tween/teen market in the US, but not much in Europe. Ms Swift analytical skills, and ability to interpret things during songwriting is very poor, too.

She doesn't seem to have the ability to take situations that she expriences, and interpret them with maturity, or indeed to distingush them from other expriences. What results is a real lack of diversifaction with her writing, and very narrow, samey pieces. Adele, by contrast has an excellent vocal range - and does have the ability to interpret songs, and add mature themes. It's wierd, because in some ways Taylor Swift and Adele write along simlar subject matters, i.e shit relationships.

Difference is, though Adele actually sounds like a grown woman talking about real expriences, that many can relate too, and her audience can grow with. While Taylor Swift, still sounds like she is fourteen and hasn't learned much about the realities of life.

I am not even a massive fan of adele but to claim that taylor swift is a bigger star or better musician is crazy and to continually do so without any evidence as geordielady insists on doing is nonsensical, she cant even construct any argument to back this up.

my musical tastes are quite broad from classic country, folk, rock, metal, rap, indie and decent pop music (no x factor, britney, beyonce, taylor swift etc are on my ipod as i think they are fairly bland, similarly no modern crap pop like bruno mars, katy perry, the black eyed peas are on it)

adeles album would be lucky to get into my top 20 from last year but noone can deny she has made more classic songs, done better commercially and critically than taylor swift all the evidence proves this
  • Options
    mememeemememee Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! You all need to calm down! I'm ready to sleep for 10 hours after reading through this thread!

21- by Tuesday, Adele will be the longest female at no.1 in US history. If that isn't a classic album then I don't know what is.

Filler on 21- Filler? Filler to you? I love each and every track (apart from Lovesong) and could listen to it for years to come! I have been listening to 21 since the day it was released, and I am not bored of one song.

Someone like you is Adele's 'I will always love you' and 'Rolling in the Deep' is another classic. 'Rolling in the Deep' is the most downloaded song in US History.

As much as I respect Taylor for her success, she just doesn't compete with Adele in terms of vocal ability AND success.

Peace.
  • Options
    shadesofblackshadesofblack Posts: 1,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was really well said! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    I am not even a massive fan of adele but to claim that taylor swift is a bigger star or better musician is crazy and to continually do so without any evidence as geordielady insists on doing is nonsensical, she cant even construct any argument to back this up.

my musical tastes are quite broad from classic country, folk, rock, metal, rap, indie and decent pop music (no x factor, britney, beyonce, taylor swift etc are on my ipod as i think they are fairly bland, similarly no modern crap pop like bruno mars, katy perry, the black eyed peas are on it)

adeles album would be lucky to get into my top 20 from last year but noone can deny she has made more classic songs, done better commercially and critically than taylor swift all the evidence proves this

Good post. My musical tastes are quite broad too - from the Smiths, to Lady GaGa, from Oasis to Lana Del Rey - to Paloma Faith, Marina and the Diamonds, to Beyonce, Kanye West etc. I'm not a massive fan of Adele, (although I absolutely adore Set Fire to the Rain, Rolling in the Deep, and Hometown Glory) but I can respect, and recognise her very much quality output, especially recently and I very much wish her all the best of success.

GL's passion for Taylor Swift would be endearing, if it weren't for the need to dismiss, and degenerate other artists as well - particuarly those who are very talented, and certaintly possess more creative minds, than Taylor Swift. And shadesofblack - thanks!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post. My musical tastes are quite broad too - from the Smiths, to Lady GaGa, from Oasis to Lana Del Rey - to Paloma Faith, Marina and the Diamonds, to Beyonce, Kanye West etc. I'm not a massive fan of Adele, (although I absolutely adore Set Fire to the Rain, Rolling in the Deep, and Hometown Glory) but I can respect, and recognise her very much quality output, especially recently and I very much wish her all the best of success.

GL's passion for Taylor Swift would be endearing, if it weren't for the need to dismiss, and degenerate other artists as well - particuarly those who are very talented, and certaintly possess more creative minds, than Taylor Swift. And shadesofblack - thanks!:)

Apart from our nearly perfectly matched musical tastes :D

I totally agree i was a huge fan of 19 not so much 21 but can see and appreciate it for what it is regardless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont agree with hardly a single world of what you have wrote, its clear you dont understand much about taylor at all or her songwrting process or even why she writes the songs she does.
    But feel free to continue bashing one of the most talented female artists to come on the music scence for decades. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    True but prior to being famous Adele toured extensively she does tour :pAnd yes smoking will damage her voice in the end like so many stars Marianne Faithfull, Amy, Whitney but as a smoker once you start its difficult to stop but at least like Rihanna she doesn't seem to want to advocate it to youngsters.

Oh totally i agree unlike 19 which had success and was well received both here and internationally it was not so overplayed that i hate it in fact its an album i play regularly but 21 has reached overkill seriously overbaked it now so yes a break in a way great because when Amy winehouse went away it allowed both Duffy and Adele and similar artists to seep through so it would be good all round for everyone and people will welcome her back once we have had time to miss her :p

Has she:confused: maybe the word extensively has a differnt meaning to you then it does to me;)
    But glad to hear you think that the UK has had adele overkill, the adele stans wont be happy with you at all:)
    The one problem adele has in taking even a 2 year break is will anyone really bother when she returns or after having a 2 year breaking counting her money will she want to return.
    I personally think that a full 5 year break is well overdue for the poor lass so she can recharge herself and all that.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taylor Swift is just another bland wallpaper singer like so many others that can't break the UK market.
    On a worldwide scale Adele will be remembered in 10/20 years time, Taylor will be long forgotten by anyone outside the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    But feel free to continue bashing one of the most talented female artists to come on the music scence for decades. :)
    That's what YOU are doing. Practice what you preach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    Taylor Swift is just another bland wallpaper singer like so many others that can't break the UK market.
    On a worldwide scale Adele will be remembered in 10/20 years time, Taylor will be long forgotten by anyone outside the US.
    Very true. I can't remember the last time I heard someone talk about Taylor over here in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DLeon wrote: »
    That's what YOU are doing. Practice what you preach.

I sure would not waste my time going into extensive incorrect detail about adele like that poster did on taylor so in fact your wrong:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true. I can't remember the last time I heard someone talk about Taylor over here in the UK.

Yeah maybe she is popular in US, but in rest of the world she is largely unknown..just looking at her albums and singles sales tell this. Almost all sold just in US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I sure would not waste my time going into extensive incorrect detail about adele like that poster did on taylor so in fact your wrong:)
    That post you replied to was entirely correct.

I'm not having a go at Taylor by the way, I think she is rather good, just not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frank5 wrote: »
    Yeah maybe she is popular in US, but in rest of the world she is largely unknown..just looking at her albums and singles sales tell this. Almost all sold just in US

Around 30% sold outside the US actually and of course a sold out WORLD tour, largely unknown outside the US isn't she :rolleyes:
    The only place she dont sell many records in the UK, but that speaks for itself really, but she still came here and sold out the biggest arena's we have as well as having the BBC begging on their knees for her to do an abbey road show.
    Not too shabby for an artist that dont sell many records here is it.:D

The UK is just not important enough for taylor to worry about record sales in this country.
  • Options
    IlleismIlleism Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brilliant Post.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That post you replied to was entirely correct. I'm not having a go at Taylor by the way, I think she is rather good, just not my cup of tea.

No it was the view of one poster who clearly dont understand anything about taylor swift, that was clear as day by the posts content.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The UK is just not important enough for taylor to worry about record sales in this country.

You're only saying that because she doesn't sell a huge amount in the UK. You'd be singing a different tune if she sold a million plus copies of an album here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're only saying that because she doesn't sell a huge amount in the UK. You'd be singing a different tune if she sold a million plus copies of an album here.

She was never gonna sell a lot of albums here, no country artist ever does.
    She earned far more from her sold out UK tour then she could ever earn by selling more albums in the UK. The UK makes up less then 0.5% of her total 24M album sales, we are pretty irrelevant to Taylor, we can just all be thankful she makes the effort to play shows in the UK.
    Guess her next tour will be just one UK show at wembley stadium, she wont mess around playing our small arena's next time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was never gonna sell a lot of albums here, no country artist ever does.
    She earned far more from her sold out UK tour then she could ever earn by selling more albums in the UK. The UK makes up less then 0.5% of her total 24M album sales, we are pretty irrelevant to Taylor, we can just all be thankful she makes the effort to play shows in the UK.
    Guess her next tour will be just one UK show at wembley stadium, she wont mess around playing our small arena's next time.

We have had this argument before as the Third biggest music market in the World it would be a huge deal to sell here but as you say country artists rarely do Shania only did as she remixed the entire album into pop (bar one song i think)

And Gl as you regularly tell me check your Facts :p

And i don't think 5 years but some break there has to be with all artists otherwise it is simply detrimental rather than to their credit but i think the interest is there i mean as you have said 19 was a success but with only 3 million sales to have come back and do what she has i'm not too worried ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brilliant post, couldn't have written it better myself. :)

I'm not a big Adele fan either, though there are parts of 21 i really really like she is much more mainstream then the music i usually go for. Even though I'm not her biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, like her or loathe her she is the biggest female artist in the world right now.

I just think its such a crying shame country music has gone from I keep a close watch on this heart of mine. I keep my eyes wide open all the time. I keep the ends out for the tie that binds. Because you're mine, I walk the line ... to 'maybeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you belong with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :( oh well.

Still surprised this thread is still going though. :eek: