Options

Is Denzel Washington very over-rated?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
Forum Member
I know many contemporary actors and actresses are quite over-rated.However it seems he is even more over-rated than many others.I have not viewed many of his films,however he does not seem to have much range.Plus he comes off as 'intense' and not in a good way.He always looks like he is acting--and that is surely not the sign of a good actor.Good actors and actresses should not, and do not look like they are acting.Your opinions?

Comments

• Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's so accepted by audiences as an "every-man" actor that you get the impression he's highly rated but really it's just that a lot of people find him very watchable.

Personally I find him just "ok" and a bit predictable. I think he's found his niche and plays it safe.
    I wouldn't rush to see a DW film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. You just don't like him. Many do.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No if anything he is under rated in my view. And personally I feel he has a great range. How you can make such a claim when you freely admit to not even seeing many of his films is rather baffling, tbh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    No if anything he is under rated in my view. And personally I feel he has a great range. How you can make such a claim when you freely admit to not even seeing many of his films is rather baffling, tbh.
    I've seen about 4 of his films,and that was enough to tell that he is very similair in all his roles.Plus it seems other actors and actresses often have to 'carry him' in scenes..
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denzel is a fine actor who doesn’t always pick the right movies. A little more care before he signs on the dotted line would enhance his reputation.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think when some actors become that famous/respected they just play themselves. If you don't see some of their earier successes and just rely on their current movies then you may think they are overrated.

If you watched De Niro or Pachino's efforts from the past 15 years you wouldn't think they were commonly rated as the best actors of their generations.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him in Training Day & Man on Fire.
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every actor has his/her day.
    That as degsyhufc states, about De Niro, is the perfect example.
    Musicians have an even shorter timeline of innovation and quality.
    That's why The Beatles will reign for a long time yet Macca hasn't really hit the mark since before the Speed Of Sound LP.
    That's some 36 years ago.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think when some actors become that famous/respected they just play themselves. If you don't see some of their earier successes and just rely on their current movies then you may think they are overrated.

If you watched De Niro or Pachino's efforts from the past 15 years you wouldn't think they were commonly rated as the best actors of their generations.

That's quite true - I think once they find their most marketable method, then they stick to it, and that's what Denzil Washington's done really with the whole Mr Broody thing.

I think he's certainly one of the better actors around, but I don't think he'll ever be regarded as one of the all time greats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a great actor, one of the best, he is not overrated one little bit.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denzel is one of the best even when the film isnt that great you can rely on him to put in a good performance
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is, he's just a bit samey! He never wows you or puts in a performance that takes you on a journey. That's not to say he's a bad actor because he definitly isn't but he's just got a little predictable in his film choices and that in turn makes his character/performance predictable too.

I thought one of his recent films, Unstoppable, was dull and predictable. His latest release was featured on Film 2012 the other night and the clips and interviews stirred nothing in me.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I really like him

Philidelphia was great.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do kind of suspect there's a one-dimensionality to his continued casting.

Having said that, he has got an unique, ahem, 'attribute' as those who have seen the film 'Ricochet', and one shot in particular from it (preferably in very slow motion HQ), will be aware. :D:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's got a big cock or something?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's a good actor but was a great actor in some of his earlier films.
    He seems to represent an every-man for black men in the same way somebody like Tom Hanks or Harrison Ford may be for white men in generally run of the mill quite good average films.
    Dependable and reliable to get the job done, but not really having much of an opportunity to shine due to the material or subject matter.

So I think it's more of a case of what roles he gets given or offered.

I think his best role in recent years was American Gangster where he was at his near best.

I think the comparison with De Niro and Pacino is a good one because they probably suffer even more from taking on roles which undermine the image the public had of them as great actors.
    De Niro was at one time seen almost like an acting God, but then he took on a lot of lightweight family friendly roles in mainstream comedies, and then he wasn't.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denholm wrote: »
    I've seen about 4 of his films,and that was enough to tell that he is very similair in all his roles...

Cant agree - he has very good range. Take the character in training Day -- completley different to say - the blue collar train driver in Unstoppable or the burnt-out bodyguard in Man on Fire
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,403
    Forum Member
    Overrated? No

He's one of the best actors in the world.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen many of his films, but Man On Fire is one of my favourites.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was incredible in Training Day, people say he only got his Oscar because of Russell Crowe's poor behaviour that year but Denzel deserved it more anyway imo.

I will say that in his team ups with Tony Scott and other similar action films he plays a similar character, and they're all relatively reliable run of the mill films that you enjoy but struggle to remember, it's a little lazy. Bar Man on Fire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Denzel is a fine actor who doesn’t always pick the right movies. A little more care before he signs on the dotted line would enhance his reputation.

I think there is a lot of truth to this! A lot of his most recent films he seems to be playing the enigmatic / charismatic broody baddie. That is not to say he isn't good at that but I don't think he is really stretching himself.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    He's a good, solid actor. Better than many.

One of the great actors? No, not at all. But that's okay, at least he never disappoints or phones in performances.
  • Options
    crabstercrabster Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denholm wrote: »
    I've seen about 4 of his films,and that was enough to tell that he is very similair in all his roles.Plus it seems other actors and actresses often have to 'carry him' in scenes..

I've seen a lot of his films (about 20) and in many think he makes the film.

I can't think of one where he puts in a bad performance or one where other actors carry the scene.

In my (and I’m sure most people’s) opinion he is at his best in: Malcom X, The Hurricane, American gangster, John Q, Training Day, Man on Fire, Glory.

In these he plays, A famous black activist, framed boxer fighting for freedom, drug lord, father fighting to get his son treatment, murderous crooked cop, dried up ex bodyguard and private in the first black regiment in the American civil way.

As has been said, he seems to have fallen into churning out action films year after year now which is a shame because in many of his other roles he really stands out with his performance.

I’m no action film fan and don’t normally watch them, but I will if Denzel is in them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only watched four of his movies -- Philadelphia, Courage Under Fire, The Bone Collector and Deja Vu. He is a good actor.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    Trouble is, he's just a bit samey! He never wows you or puts in a performance that takes you on a journey. That's not to say he's a bad actor because he definitly isn't but he's just got a little predictable in his film choices and that in turn makes his character/performance predictable too.

I thought one of his recent films, Unstoppable, was dull and predictable. His latest release was featured on Film 2012 the other night and the clips and interviews stirred nothing in me.
    I was just thinking about this last night and realised that his characters in Phelam 123 and Unstoppable could have been the same person. Unstoppable could have been the prequel and after he saved the day he got bumped up to the desk job :D