Options

Cheryl Cole - Credit Where It's Due

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
Forum Member
✭✭
Cheryl comes in for so much stick on this board and she doesn't really deserve a lot of it. She really impressed me today. She took part in a signing at Westfield shopping centre in London for the Stylistpick Pop Up Store. The signing was for two hundred people and was supposed to last for two hours maximum. She started at 5.30 this evening and she has only just finished at 10.40. That's over five hours of signing. She also had gift bags made up for everyone who was there full of L'Oreal make up and a bracelet. The bracelets were all individual designs. She spent a few minutes talking to each person and having photos taken with them which is why it took so long to do. She also remembered the names of many of the ones that she's met before, only met on one occasion in a couple of cases. A lot of celebrities do these signings but I can't think of another one who spent the time or put the effort in that she did today.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless our Chezza Cole. She's not a bad geordie really. Maybe she should make her comeback to the X Factor. Can't wait to see Girls Aloud get back together for their 10 year anniversaire!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never used to like her until she was on X-Facror. Just goes to show how press coverage can trash someones reputation. Having seen what she's been through I have a lot more time for her.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A book signed by its author will add a lot to its value in YEARS to come. This is of course, providing the celebrity stays famous for the whole of their life.
  • Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sandytop wrote: »
    Never used to like her until she was on X-Facror. Just goes to show how press coverage can trash someones reputation. Having seen what she's been through I have a lot more time for her.

Oh I was the exact opposite! I quite liked her 'til Simon Cowell got his grubby mitts on her :)
  • Options
    busy_beebusy_bee Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you honestly think she was doing all that all out of the goodness of her heart?

There is probably a very nice paycheck sitting in her bank for all of 5 hours work.

I doubt she made the 'gift bags' up herself, and they were probably provided by people from L'Oreal - again part of the nicely paid for modelling/advertising contract. SHE is being paid to flog L'Oreal products. She is being paid to flog her shoes.

She was contractually obliged to turn up and sign stuff for a certain amount of time, for a certain amount of people.

This is her job. She relies upon the public to keep her wages being paid. If she is nasty, rude and doesn't turn up to do things like this, she will get a reputation and the work would dry up. You have to keep the punters happy, and that involves doing signings and having photos taken with people who think they know you like their best mate.

I doubt any celebrity, given the choice would willinging do this on their own time without a financial incentive.

It amazes me how naive people can be sometimes........
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    busy_bee wrote: »
    Do you honestly think she was doing all that all out of the goodness of her heart?

There is probably a very nice paycheck sitting in her bank for all of 5 hours work.

I doubt she made the 'gift bags' up herself, and they were probably provided by people from L'Oreal - again part of the nicely paid for modelling/advertising contract. SHE is being paid to flog L'Oreal products. She is being paid to flog her shoes.

She was contractually obliged to turn up and sign stuff for a certain amount of time, for a certain amount of people.

This is her job. She relies upon the public to keep her wages being paid. If she is nasty, rude and doesn't turn up to do things like this, she will get a reputation and the work would dry up. You have to keep the punters happy, and that involves doing signings and having photos taken with people who think they know you like their best mate.

I doubt any celebrity, given the choice would willinging do this on their own time without a financial incentive.

Obviously she'll have been paid for it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She comes across very well in interviews... but the sh*t that surrounds her outside of it all. Marrying a footballer? And not just any footballer... Ashley Cole. Not really gonna win you votes in a popularity contest.
  • Options
    soapdoctorsoapdoctor Posts: 3,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a massive Cheryl fan, so I just don't read the negativity about her because she may use auto tune, but she can sing 100x better than 90% of the people who criticise her!
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    soapdoctor wrote: »
    I am a massive Cheryl fan, so I just don't read the negativity about her because she may use auto tune, but she can sing 100x better than 90% of the people who criticise her!

But the people criticising her aren't releasing singles and judging others on talent shows, being paid millions.

The problem people have with Cheryl is that she is so overexposed for someone with such little talent.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is probably a very nice paycheck sitting in her bank for all of 5 hours work

I would hazard a guess that if it's for the makeup company, it's probably part of her contract as the "face" of the company to do signings like this so I don't necessarily think she'd have been paid for the event itself.

If she was specifically booked for 5 hours but the event was promoted as a 2 hour only event then obviously it's a clever bit of marketing by the makeup people.

If she was indeed only booked for 2 hours and stayed for 3 more, then fair play to her.

We'll have to wait for all her managers and agents on the Showbiz forum to chip in to set us straight :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soapdoctor wrote: »

I wouldn't be too sure on that percentage... Look how many people audition on x factor that can sing better than her. Though she is based very much on image and very few are in her league when it comes to looks.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow five hours of work, maybe you should make a thread about me i did 8 hours of work
  • Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is a nice thing to do, she apparently spent an extra three hours meeting fans and the fans weren't even made to purchase any of the products to meet her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She was there promoting the shoe range she helped design and she was contracted for a certain amount of time. She was contracted for two hours but she stretched it out for five hours. All celebrities need to do at these things is sign and smile and say hello, which most do, she did a lot more today.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,105
    Forum Member
    Am I right in thinking she personally arranged and packed these goody bags....which may have been worth more than the cost of the book?
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking she personally arranged and packed these goody bags....which may have been worth more than the cost of the book?

There had to have been a book in the first place :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Buster65 wrote: »
    She was there promoting the shoe range she helped design and she was contracted for a certain amount of time. She was contracted for two hours but she stretched it out for five hours. All celebrities need to do at these things is sign and smile and say hello, which most do, she did a lot more today.

How come you know so much...did you negotiate the contract?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was no book. It was her shoe collection pop-up shop. L'oreal had nothing to do with the event, as far as I know.
  • Options
    rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    She took part in a signing at Westfield shopping centre in London

I bet the sales of ear plugs went through the roof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rory r wrote: »
    I bet the sales of ear plugs went through the roof.

Is she a noisy writer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This ain't aimed specifically at Ms Cole but surely all she was doing was her job?

Why do people make these workers are doing something above and beyond the call of duty... 5 hours giving away stuff for which people give you more money by buying more expensive stuff.

Is she doing anything more than a glorified promotions person, who are probably on their feet for 12 hours being happy smiley to the public?

I can understand the liking of a person but the adulation is misplaced.
  • Options
    rory rrory r Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Is she a noisy writer?

Sorry, im dyslexic, should have stayed on at scool.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ain't aimed specifically at Ms Cole but surely all she was doing was her job?

True, but for the "industry" she is in, her "job" will be tightly scheduled so if she was indeed booked for 2 hours and stayed for 3 more then it is worthy of credit. Adulation maybe not, but credit for putting herself out for everyone who went when she probably didn't have to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come you know so much...did you negotiate the contract?

It was very well advertises so no, I didn't have to negotiate the contract. I also know folk who were there.
  • Options
    ScenciaScencia Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    It was very well advertises so no, I didn't have to negotiate the contract. I also know folk who were there.

But you still haven't explained how you know for certain she was only contracted for 2 hours