Options

"Technical Support" - wow, they really don't have a clue do they?

Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As have mentioned in another thread, I have just been onto Sky's "technical" support to try and help me with my digibox, that keeps continuously dialling up throughout the day (and night). I explained that the modem was dialling up, and when I pick up an extension it says the number is not recognised. Hence why it is just not getting through and keeps doing it.

The woman I got through to, her name was "Anne", basically didn't believe a word I said and said to me that I must mean my broadband box. Er no...it's my Sky digibox.

"That can't be, your box has no telephone light on the front"

"You must mean your broadband. Your box doesn't phone up" I was pretty shocked to say the least.

I then had to explain that it does indeed do this, like when checking My Account etc - the whole time being completely patronised. She then stated "well I check My Account at home and have never seen a light come on before..."

After minutes of argument, I asked for the technical team...

The response - "this is the technical team" :)

In the end, she checked my callbacks which were once a month as per normal. I asked why it was doing this then - she had not got a clue. I then had to actually ask on how to do a software reset.

"Well I've learned something new today" she remarked sarcastically. I tried to remain polite but was quite annoyed really. It was just the whole attitude and ignorance.

Sky has really gone downhill. It's a completely different set up to what it was like in 1993 when I first got it.

Comments

• Options
    blueplatinumblueplatinum Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title you have given this thread is extremely unfair. "Anne" may not have a clue, but many of her colleagues do (in my experience) and they provide an excellent service.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    The title you have given this thread is extremely unfair. "Anne" may not have a clue, but many of her colleagues do (in my experience) and they provide an excellent service.
    I've had nothing but excellent service from both customer and technical support from Sky, just like you.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor customer service is criminal IMO, you help pay her wages, if she is rude, she should be reminded of this,

Hope you sort the problem OP and hopefully get some form of compensation too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know - I'm sure there are many knowledgable and helpful people at Sky, but I was so annoyed that they continue to employ people who clearly have no idea. I've got through to so many people there that are just clueless to be perfectly honest. Their broadband and phone people are equally shocking in my experience.

I understand that you guys have had the opposite experience, fair enough. I'm almost envious haha, I must keep getting put through to someplace totally different to you. :)

It just aggrivates me that a woman like this can even on their tech support team? Such total pure incompetence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    It just aggrivates me that a woman like this can even on their tech support team? Such total pure incompetence.

I can only say whenever I've called Sky CS they've always been pretty good and the one time I had a problem that wasn't resolved straight away (no HD channels on my multiroon box), they sorted it out after a second call and kept me on the line until the issue was resolved.
    I've also found after every call I've made to Sky CS I've had a questionnaire email the next day asking to detail and rate the Sky representatives performance.
    If you don't get an email questionnaire and you are genuinely unhappy with the way "Anne" handled your call then fire off a complaint to Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linea wrote: »
    I can only say whenever I've called Sky CS they've always been pretty good and the one time I had a problem that wasn't resolved straight away (no HD channels on my multiroon box), they sorted it out after a second call and kept me on the line until the issue was resolved.
    I've also found after every call I've made to Sky CS I've had a questionnaire email the next day asking to detail and rate the Sky representatives performance.
    If you don't get an email questionnaire and you are genuinely unhappy with the way "Anne" handled your call then fire off a complaint to Sky.

Cheers man, yeah I might do.

I have had some very good service in the past but it seems to be getting rarer at Sky unfortunately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have a CLI block on your phone line ? If so the box might need the 1470 prefix for it to call out successfully.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,598
    Forum Member
    Adam14 wrote: »
    Cheers man, yeah I might do.

I have had some very good service in the past but it seems to be getting rarer at Sky unfortunately.

To be honest it's always been pretty poor, 'so called' technical at Sky are almost exclusively completely non-technical, just reading off a different 'idiot chart' to the normal CS's .

A number of years ago Sky set up a special 'technical line' for ASA's - so having a faulty new card arrive we rang to get it sorted. We knew 100% the card was faulty, it didn't work in multiple boxes, and other cards worked in all those boxes - if I remember corectly it seemed to be 'write protected', so couldn't be authorised.

Anyway, the special trade 'technical' department told us to take out the SCART lead and blow on the pins, and that this would cure it :p