Options

Engelbert Humperdinck to represent the UK

Comments

• Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »
    Are we expecting an Elvis vs JXL, A little less conversation or Lou Reed vs Groovefinder, Satellite of love style song then. :p

If that's the case then I may look upon this choice more favourably. I guess it's all about the song really. :cool:
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Looks like the BBC is giving its loyal fans of Eurovison one final Middle finger before the new rules on Selection come in next year?

Or are they really saying he is the only person who would agree to it.

I have to say I don't agree with this rule change. Whilst the BBC choice may not be perfect the public vote really screwed us over for years.
  • Options
    LengsterLengster Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or are they really saying he is the only person who would agree to it.

Honestly, given 8 months and the right persuasive words, they could really have found someone more current. I honestly can't believe that none of our up-and-coming talents would jump at the chance of that exposure.
  • Options
    ellie1167ellie1167 Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    globbits wrote: »
    So you honestly expect the people who wrote songs for Adele or Lana Del Rey, and produced tracks for Mary J Blige or James Morrison are going to come up with some 70s croon-a-thon?

Not saying that at all....just that it will be unlike anything he has everdone before. He may have a 50yr career but it is built exclusively on one style of singing and performing. Whether he is either up for or, indeed, able to do anything different we may be about to find out. If Tom Jones can re-invent himself then, hopefully, so can Engelbert
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was praying this was a joke but i'm devastated. Give me ANYBODY but this...Barrowman, Attom Kitten, absolutely anyone else. The whole of Europe and the UK will be laughing their heads off... I despise the BBC for this stunt they've pulled.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,854
    Forum Member
    Just three letters .... OMG

The man is a legend, bring it on Gerry !
  • Options
    friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC are just trying to take the p*** big time out of the public. Atomic Kitten would have been a more serious attempt at winning Eurovision. This is just a joke and not a very funny one at that. It's getting to the point now where there is virtually no point the UK entering given that the powers that be have apparently given up on ever winning the competition again.

I can't imagine what the likes of Mike Read, Katrina and Bucks Fizz are making of this announcement. I'm sure he's had a decent singing career and is a nice old gent but really a crooner has no chance of winning Eurovision this or any other year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Director General personally made this decision it would explain a few things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lengster wrote: »
    Honestly, given 8 months and the right persuasive words, they could really have found someone more current. I honestly can't believe that none of our up-and-coming talents would jump at the chance of that exposure.

tbh thats my biggest problem with this hes not current its just going back to what a lot of the EU think the UK is stuck in the past with no real outlook.

It makes sense now that tweet saying either the biggest mistake ever of total Genius.I truly cant see how this wont be a massive mistake it only takes a totally crap song now to make it complete.
  • Options
    Aaron.BishopAaron.Bishop Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Never heard of him before. Stupid BBC!
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    #teamjedward :p
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This must be a f**king joke. No wonder the UK does crap. I wouldn't put it all on political voting because sometimes a good song wins. But c'mon. I backtrack what I said about Steps please i'll have them instead
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I think the BBC are just trying to take the p*** big time out of the public. Atomic Kitten would have been a more serious attempt at winning Eurovision. This is just a joke and not a very funny one at that. It's getting to the point now where there is virtually no point the UK entering given that the powers that be have apparently given up on ever winning the competition again.

I can't imagine what the likes of Mike Read, Katrina and Bucks Fizz are making of this announcement. I'm sure he's had a decent singing career and is a nice old gent but really a crooner has no chance of winning Eurovision this or any other year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Director General personally made this decision it would explain a few things.

agreed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha . :D

Great choice. Weird choice though.
  • Options
    Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    If that's the case then I may look upon this choice more favourably. I guess it's all about the song really. :cool:

Anything but this though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfhTKx43ezU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK now probably has the best chance of winning that it's had for years.
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we've lost before we compete, he's 75!, Oh dear.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ don't be ageist, Paul Simon is really old but is still amazing! ;)
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Mikes Mike wrote: »

Is he one of those men?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked the calendar. It's definitely still 2012.

Seriously though, this is a massive surprise. If i'm right, it's been a long time since someone his age won Eurovision!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HAHAHA....glad to be in Ireland and having The Jed representing us:)
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Can I be the first to say that we've all got the Hump?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To all the people that say we shouldnt be part of it because we don't win have a very school child attitude.

First and foremost we don't have a god given right to win.

Second we don't win because of the acts we "The BBC" put forward, An act representing the United Kingdom should be chosen by the majority of the United Kingdom (Not a dozen people in a room who think they know what "we" want).

Next the Issue of Commentary during the Eurovision. I Don't want dull, predictable commentary i want to be entertained.
    Al Murray would be a clever choice considering his style of pro England, however the BBC are never one to risk offending anybody so we're stuck with Norton.

I don't buy into political voting it is an issue but not i think more people tend to jump on the bandwagon and use that as a reason for us failing to win. Each country/region has its styles of music. For instance something we like they might hate and vice versa.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »

Though there won't be many Englebert vs Jedward comparisons as there were with Blue vs Jedward last year.....talk about two diametrically different acts :)
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    Can I be the first to say that we've all got the Hump?

that will be the headline when we lose.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    The song, 'The Last Waltz' seems very apt now :D

Hahahahaha :D
    Sounds great, though not forgetting Shirley Bassey vs The Propellerheads...

:P

Does that actually exist?
    tbh thats my biggest problem with this hes not current its just going back to what a lot of the EU think the UK is stuck in the past with no real outlook.

It makes sense now that tweet saying either the biggest mistake ever of total Genius.I truly cant see how this wont be a massive mistake it only takes a totally crap song now to make it complete.

They'll think the UK's stuck in the 70s. Now where did I leave my platform shoes and flared trousers? :p Certainly wasn't a totally genius move anyway, the guys down my local Apple Store are more Genius than that :p
    Shattered. wrote: »
    Just checked the calendar. It's definitely still 2012.

According to my Macbook's calendar it is 2012 as well. if it was the 70s I wouldn't be typing this - Macbook Pros didn't exist then!
    Makson wrote: »

Yeah! Go Jedward! Woooo :D