Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Retina is a trademark, nothing more. If Apple call it Retina it is Retina
  • Options
    PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    No home button? Gesture based? Sounds a lot like the way my playbook works. RIM should perhaps give apple a taste of their own medicine and sue them. It if course Apple don't steal other companies ideas and tech.

Gesture were RIM's idea? News to me.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Retina is a trademark, nothing more. If Apple call it Retina it is Retina

Steve Jobs said that retina display was reserved for a screen with over 300DPI so I agree that the iPad 3's alleged screen is great but not a retina display.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real retina (if there is one) is something like 500dpi+ but I imagine every display is so called retina at a certain distance. There are in fact a few 500 dpi displays around, just non a large scale production.

There was an 8" iPad rumoured so if the 'Retina' label is to be used, it is the 8" that has a chance.
    I must admit, having a 7" 4/3 ratio tablet I think the 8" size would hit the right spot for portability and usability compromise.
  • Options
    dreamfishdreamfish Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people expect an iPad mini this year? I know it's rumoured. I'd definitely get one if so. I think the current iPad is a little on the heavy side.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dreamfish wrote: »
    Do people expect an iPad mini this year? I know it's rumoured. I'd definitely get one if so. I think the current iPad is a little on the heavy side.

It's possible, but I'm gonna say no. More likely a bigger iphone later.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    It's possible, but I'm gonna say no. More likely a bigger iphone later.

Looks like Apple are taking a very different tack now Jobs has gone .....

Open about production details .....
    Smaller iPad ....
    Bigger iPhone ?

I wonder if history will show such changes, and widening of the product range, as being a good or a bad move.

Maybe a new, open, 'better' Apple ?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Jobs' strategy made it work. All the secretiveness meant anticipation, then the sharing the details with the chosen ones was like a religious experience with Jobs as a preacher. With all that gone Apple may lose some of its edge. But the times are changing anyway, iPhone, iPad now have viable alternatives that are at least as good and cheaper. It wasn't like that a couple of years ago. So maybe you cannot do these reveals as effectively anymore when what you offer is already available somewhere else. They have a long innovation cycle while the competition manages to come with new products faster, simply because there's more of them.
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gesture were RIM's idea? News to me.
    But using g gestures in place of a home button is something Apple did not invent. So since they keep filing law suits all the time instead of their competitors, they should accept that they also take ideas that were implemented by other companies.

Like recently they sued Motorola for using slide to unlock on their devices. See where I am going with this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah - that was pretty petty. Next someone will be suing someone else for using a tap to open an app.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I use my iPad all day and haven't came across any websites that need flash, that combined with the fact adobe have abandoned all mobile flash, it's dead in the water.
    I'm sorry but that is absolute fan boy garbage, I use my iPad all day too and there are absolutely crap loads of sites that require flash and I come across them daily.

I love my iPad but flash would make it better, of that there is no doubt.
  • Options
    daz_fdaz_f Posts: 6,642
    Forum Member
    the chimp wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that is absolute fan boy garbage, I use my iPad all day too and there are absolutely crap loads of sites that require flash and I come across them daily.

I love my iPad but flash would make it better, of that there is no doubt.

i agree even some of the video's don't play on DS for a start
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it fanboy garbage? It just means that people's use & experience is different. Gormond & many other people manage quite happily without Flash because they don't visit sites which need it, while you happen to visit sites which do need it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Why is it fanboy garbage? It just means that people's use & experience is different. Gormond & many other people manage quite happily without Flash because they don't visit sites which need it, while you happen to visit sites which do need it.
    It is fan boy garbage, there are literally millions of sites that require it, I can't even watch video on the BBC news site for a start, it's an absolute joke to make out its not needed and a downright lie to say you go on it all day and never come across a site that needs it.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a huge and ever increasing number of free casual games available online implemented with Adobe Flash.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is fan boy garbage, there are literally millions of sites that require it, I can't even watch video on the BBC news site for a start, it's an absolute joke to make out its not needed and a downright lie to say you go on it all day and never come across a site that needs it.

Try the BBC News app....

Although there are many sites that still use Flash to a greater or lesser degree, the overall trend is certainly that Flash is on its way out. Heck, if Adobe themselves are no longer supporting Flash Mobile...
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    There are plenty of websites that use flash. It is possible to surf the web without encountering any of them. However when you do come across a flash website, its very frustrating. Its like going to a club, and some guy standing at the door saying, your not allowed in VIPs only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the BBC News app....

Although there are many sites that still use Flash to a greater or lesser degree, the overall trend is certainly that Flash is on its way out. Heck, if Adobe themselves are no longer supporting Flash Mobile...

I have the bbc news app and it's rubbish compared to the regular site.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just visited BBC Bytesize (the educational section of their site) and it uses Flash.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Try the BBC News app....

Flash maybe on its way out, but it will be years until Flash has totally gone. So it makes no sense whatsoever to stop supporting it for the foreseeable future.

Its a totally stupid argument to use.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the bbc news app and it's rubbish compared to the regular site.

Videos on the BBC news website play fine for me - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17229797 for example.

Also looking at the video section of DS http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/video/ they also play fine.

I seriously can't recall the last time I came across something in flash that I couldn't play, all the websites I visit seem to be HTML5, the odd time it used to happen I just used a browser that supported flash html5 like puffin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Videos on the BBC news website play fine for me - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17229797 for example.

Also looking at the video section of DS http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/video/ they also play fine.

I seriously can't recall the last time I came across something in flash that I couldn't play, all the websites I visit seem to be HTML5, the odd time it used to happen I just used a browser that supported flash html5 like puffin.

Can you play this then on ds coz I can't
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/scoop/a368922/eastenders-lauren-gets-drunk-again-video.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Flash maybe on its way out, but it will be years until Flash has totally gone. So it makes no sense whatsoever to stop supporting it for the foreseeable future.

Its a totally stupid argument to use.

OK, its just not something I've ever really thought of as that much of a problem these days.
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daz_f wrote: »

They all play from the BBCiPlayer app
  • Options
    Forum Member
    boyzie wrote: »
    They all play from the BBCiPlayer app

i know that but not from Safari