Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 32)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Marseille v Inter Milan CL Ratings for Wed 22nd of Feb. It was on ITV1. The overnight rating was 2.45m

Sorry not on BARB top 30, wouldn't know where else to look??Sorry
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    EastEnders isn't doing fine. It has lost the 2 million viewers that it had all through December and the first few weeks of January within a matter of weeks. Its recent shares infact are terrible. Its also NEVER been this close to Emmerdale on a consistant scale day in day out. Its Corrie that EastEnders should be even Stevens with not Emmerdale.

People have been burying their heads in the sand for too long on the subject of EE. Silly excuses like BBQs in the middle of February, football matches and hot weather don't wash. Its the constant excuses what have pushed EastEnders into the mess its in.
    The problems are nowhere near as bad as you want them to be right now.

Undoubtedly the drop from the big Christmas period episodes isn't great but its not exactly unexpected either. Also as far as I can tell there's not a whole lot happening right now in terms of major storylines. I know there are a couple of major stories on the horizon though and if those don't have a positive effect on the ratings then I think we can begin to question what's going on with EastEnders. Although even then staying at its current level is hardly a disaster or crisis. Disappointing perhaps.

Broadly speaking though the soaps do this all the time and every time it happens people become hysterical about the crisis at EastEnders/Coronation Street/Emmerdale for no reason because inevitably things rebound. The only soap that's been in real crisis territory in recent times has been Hollyoaks and even then I think that was overstated somewhat for effect. Its swings and roundabouts with the soaps and almost always has been. People would do well to remember that.
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danisfunny wrote: »
    Huh:confused: Myself and one other poster have just shown that the ratings are a lot higher than Emmerdale and less than 700k off Corrie, which just happens to be just below the average viewing for the 10pm repeat?? :)

D.M.N actually pointed out that what you had posted was wrong. :)
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    It's in serious trouble if it sinks below 5m in the overnights, which it came perilously close to doing last night.Did UD lose viewers to Orbit last night? (Rhetorical question). I watched Orbit last night (but have never been a UD viewer) and it seemed a bit "BBC1-dumbed-down-for-the-kids".

I agree. UD is not Prisoners Wives, its big budget sunday night landmark drama which (I understand) has taken alot of effort just to get onto the screen. The fact that its shipped getting on for two million immediate viewers in three weeks is not far off crisis point imo. This is a BAFTA type ratings performance for something Iv no doubt the Beeb were expecting to be at least a reasonable answer to DA.
    Im enjoying it, but its clear its being discarded by many people who presumably were willing to give it a go. Thats a worrying trend.
  • Options
    UpInMyFaceUpInMyFace Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »

Undoubtedly the drop from the big Christmas period episodes isn't great but its not exactly unexpected either. Also as far as I can tell there's not a whole lot happening right now in terms of major storylines. I know there are a couple of major stories on the horizon though and if those don't have a positive effect on the ratings then I think we can begin to question what's going on with EastEnders. Although even then staying at its current level is hardly a disaster.

Broadly speaking though the soaps do this all the time and every time it happens people become hysterical about the crisis at EastEnders/Coronation Street/Emmerdale for no reason because inevitably things rebound. The only soap that's been in real crisis territory in recent times has been Hollyoaks and even then I think that was overstated somewhat for effect. Its swings and roundabouts with the soaps and almost always has been. People would do well to remember that.

EastEnders shares are terrible, its ratings are now stuck around the 8 million mark and Corrie has edged over a million ahead. It was only two years ago that EastEnders was consistantly only 200k or so behind Corrie for every episode.

There are huge problems and until all the excuses stop being made the BBC won't attempt to fix them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N actually pointed out that what you had posted was wrong. :)

Yes he corrected me to add in the ITV1HD repeats which added about 700k... Where's your problem??? I think your one of those ITVistas???:p:p
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,287
    Forum Member

Undoubtedly the drop from the big Christmas period episodes isn't great but its not exactly unexpected either. Also as far as I can tell there's not a whole lot happening right now in terms of major storylines. I know there are a couple of major stories on the horizon though and if those don't have a positive effect on the ratings then I think we can begin to question what's going on with EastEnders. Although even then staying at its current level is hardly a disaster or crisis. Disappointing perhaps.

EastEnders is pretty much nearly always ahead of Corrie at xmas and into January so for corrie to be ahead of EastEnders is normal.
    EastEnders at the end of Dec/Into Jan and The B&B explosion and a storyline climax,Pats death and the return of David wicks. All it lacks is a big storyline.

I think Phil's return next week and Heathers Murder will see ratings rise and if not maybe that's the time i might start to worry
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soap ratings always flucuate. In six months we'll probably be saying that Coronation Street is struggling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some might be interested in this particularly given all the fuss that's being made about CBS' Elementary

CBS and Warner Bros. have shut down production on drama pilot Quean after Sony threatened legal action over similarities between the project and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series of films they're producing. Quaen was to centre on an edgy hacker girl who works at a private detective agency and teams with an Oakland police detective to solve crimes (which does sound quite a bit like Dragon Tattoo) and was written by The L Word's Ilene Chaiken. When Sony originally contacted Warner Bros. about the similarities a series of rewrites to the pilot were ordered – the female hacker was relocated to a law firm rather than a private detective agency and her boss made a black female but outside counsel have apparently informed Warner Bros. that the series is still too similar to Dragon Tattoo.

This is a pretty crazy situation though because you can basically go through every pilot in development this year (especially on the drama side) and point out what it seems to be ripping off.
  • Options
    J.R.EwingJ.R.Ewing Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders is pretty much nearly always ahead of Corrie at xmas and into January so for corrie to be ahead of EastEnders is normal.
    EastEnders at the end of Dec/Into Jan and The B&B explosion and a storyline climax,Pats death and the return of David wicks. All it lacks is a big storyline.

I think Phil's return next week and Heathers Murder will see ratings rise and if not maybe that's the time i will start to worry

Last week you said the Eastenders low ratings were because people were having bbqs in their gardens! Now you're saying its because they haven't got any big storylines.

Soaps shouldn't have to rely on big storylines for ratings. The everyday stuff is just as, if not more, important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Soap ratings always flucuate. In six months we'll probably be saying that Coronation Street is struggling.

Didn't people say Coronation Street was in big trouble last year? yet it wasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Back to Titantic.

Am I the only one who expects this to underperform?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J.R.Ewing wrote: »
    Last week you said the Eastenders low ratings were because people were having bbqs in their gardens! Now you're saying its because they haven't got any big storylines.

Soaps shouldn't have to rely on big storylines for ratings. The everyday stuff is just as, if not more, important.
    I personally don't have a problem with EastEnders ratings atm and im just stating that IF a soap has a big storyline running it's enough to bring in the casual viewers and keep them for a whille.

Does this not imply to Corrie then who seem to be having a massive highly promoted episode/storyline every couple of weeks. Do they not do 'Every day stuff' up in Manchester?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some might be interested in this particularly given all the fuss that's being made about CBS' Elementary

CBS and Warner Bros. have shut down production on drama pilot Quean after Sony threatened legal action over similarities between the project and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series of films they're producing. Quaen was to centre on an edgy hacker girl who works at a private detective agency and teams with an Oakland police detective to solve crimes (which does sound quite a bit like Dragon Tattoo) and was written by The L Word's Ilene Chaiken. When Sony originally contacted Warner Bros. about the similarities a series of rewrites to the pilot were ordered – the female hacker was relocated to a law firm rather than a private detective agency and her boss made a black female but outside counsel have apparently informed Warner Bros. that the series is still too similar to Dragon Tattoo.

This is a pretty crazy situation though because you can basically go through every pilot in development this year (especially on the drama side) and point out what it seems to be ripping off.

Love how changing a minor characters nationality, is their way of trying to make the show different... But yes, most us tv programmes are essentially ripping off something, Glee is just an edgy High School Musical, House is just Sherlock as a Doctor, the list goes on...
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The premise sounds a lot like TGWTDT and I'm not surprised Sony took action, Elementary is different because Sherlock Holmes is out of copyright hence why the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes can co-exist with Sherlock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I personally don't have a problem with EastEnders ratings atm and im just stating that IF a soap has a big storyline running it's enough to bring in the casual viewers and keep them for a whille.

Does this not imply to Corrie then who seem to be having a massive highly promoted episode/storyline every couple of weeks. Do they not do 'Every day stuff' up in Manchester?

You're just the type though who would say 4 million was a good rating for Eastenders. Thats what I am saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're just the type though who would say 4 million was a good rating for Eastenders. Thats what I am saying.
    I am the type:rolleyes:
    Yeah you know so much from your 10th post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders shares are terrible, its ratings are now stuck around the 8 million mark and Corrie has edged over a million ahead. It was only two years ago that EastEnders was consistantly only 200k or so behind Corrie for every episode.

There are huge problems and until all the excuses stop being made the BBC won't attempt to fix them.
    When did consistently being at 8+ million become a crisis exactly?

Your entire argument seems to be that its behind Coronation Street (which is in the midst of a huge murder storyline whilst EastEnders basically has nothing going on at the moment) so its in crisis. Or of course there's the other popular argument that its not far enough ahead of Emmerdale. Does it not strike you as odd that you have to point to every other shows numbers to make EastEnders look like its in crisis?

Undoubtedly the numbers right now aren't amazing but they're far from being in the crisis zone. Come and talk to me about EastEnders being in crisis when its struggling to stay above 7 million or 6 million then we'll talk. Or even when its not consistently above 8 million and dropping every week then we might talk. At this stage by your own admission the show is consistent at a solid but not particularly spectacular level. As I said before we'll see what happens when some of the upcoming big storylines hit.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    Jumping PrixxieJumping Prixxie Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    If you ask me all 3 of the big soaps are underperforming. 8 million for February is terrible. In some cases 7 million for Emmerdale and EastEnders.

Its common for the soaps to lose 3 million in the summer. Dread to think what they will be come then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When did consistently being at 8+ million become a crisis exactly?

Your entire argument seems to be that its behind Coronation Street (which is in the midst of a huge murder storyline whilst EastEnders basically has nothing going on at the moment) so its in crisis. Or of course there's the other popular argument that its not far enough ahead of Emmerdale. Does it not strike you as odd that you have to point to every other shows numbers to make EastEnders look like its in crisis?

Undoubtedly the numbers right now aren't amazing but they're far from being in the crisis zone. Come and talk to me about EastEnders being in crisis when its struggling to stay above 7 million or 6 million then we'll talk. Or even when its not consistently above 8 million and dropping every week then we might talk. At this stage by your own admission the show is consistent at a solid but not particularly spectacular level. As I said before we'll see what happens when some of the upcoming big storylines hit.

Indeed.

Isn't that what everyone in this thread does? compare shows ratings against each other :confused: lol thats the whole point isn't it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to Titantic.

No.
    danisfunny wrote: »
    Love how changing a minor characters nationality, is their way of trying to make the show different... But yes, most us tv programmes are essentially ripping off something, Glee is just an edgy High School Musical, House is just Sherlock as a Doctor, the list goes on...
    I'm hoping they made more changes but those are the only ones being reported. It seems though that they spectacularly missed that Sony's concern was that the lead character seems to be the lead character from Dragon Tattoo. Although why CBS thought that would work on broadcast television I have no idea. And I still can't work out how you pronounce the shows title..
    Jonwo wrote: »
    The premise sounds a lot like TGWTDT and I'm not surprised Sony took action, Elementary is different because Sherlock Holmes is out of copyright hence why the Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes can co-exist with Sherlock.
    I'm surprised if only because nobody ever takes action on these things. Occasionally they threaten to but it never goes anywhere. I suspect the networks and production companies might be a little concerned that this is a sign of things to come. Although if Lionsgate are willing to let The CW go ahead with The Selection which appears to be The Hunger Games by another name it probably isn't...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that what everyone in this thread does? compare shows ratings against each other :confused: lol thats the whole point isn't it. :)
    I tend to think that if a show is actually in crisis you don't need to say that its x behind Corrie or only x in front of Emmerdale but rather just state what its actual ratings are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back to Titantic.

No due to time of year, format and length of series, I reckon it'll start at 8.5 million, hold at mid to low 6's for two and three then drop again for the last...
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to think that if a show is actually in crisis you don't need to say that its x behind Corrie or only x in front of Emmerdale but rather just state what its actual ratings are.

Does anybody know how EastEnders is doing in comparison to last year, please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know how EastEnders is doing in comparison to last year, please?

Down about 450k. Someone posted it the otherday.
This discussion has been closed.