Options

Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you really like her avon942, but I can't hear her lines clearly either. Some actors seem to think that slurring their words makes them sound more "natural." Texas/BHS does the same. And it doesn't, it just makes them inaudible. Usually, I'd put that down to inexperience, but as Scarlett's 25, she must have worked a fair bit, so there's not really any excuse.

But as most of her lines just consist of "babe" and bitching, I'm not all that bothered. ;)

Whether I like the character is irrelevant to whether or not I can understand her when she speaks - I can clearly!
    Also I don't need people to tell me they know I like the Maddie at the start or every post replying to mine, it's highly patronising!
  • Options
    ReoReo Posts: 8,665
    Forum Member
    avon942 wrote: »
    Well I understand her perfectly and I have no problems with Scarlett's acting! Her speach us fine, I don't see a problem with how she pronounces her words or deliveres her lines. If it was as bad as you I'm sure more people would complain and something would have to be do done but as it stands I dot think there is a problem.

I have had trouble understanding what Maddie is saying..When they were sat at a table at the college last week, they were talking about something and then Maddie insulted Ruby, I just couldn't understand what Maddie was saying. I had to rewind and put on the subtitles, although I don't know why I bothered as I didn't actually care what she said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reo wrote: »
    I have had trouble understand what Maddie is saying..When they were sat at a table at the college last week, they were talking about something and then Maddie insulted Ruby, I just couldn't understand what Maddie was saying. I had to rewind and put on the subtitles, although I don't know why I bothered as I didn't actually care what she said.

Again I understand her fine and have never had a problem understanding her! It doesn't seem like many people have a problem with her speach so I don't think there's really a problem! As I said the only person I have understand really is sinead but then she doesn't even seem to say full words let alone pronounce them clearly!
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you understand her avon and I've got to admit I've never really noticed her diction because I don't really listen to her but quite a few people have said that they have a problem understanding her, it's been said a few times before.

I know you really like her and you are entitled to express that opinion other people are also at liberty to express negative opinions about her, it's not an attack on you or on her as a person it is just people saying they think she is a poor actress.

I'm pretty sure the shocking discovery Mercy makes is
    that the rest of the McQueens have been seeing Bobby behind her back.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Well, it looks like im pretty much alone but I enjoyed the George stuff on tonights E4 haha. :D

Don't worry, I always feel alone in this topic judging by the negative views the episodes (and the teens) get...even the episodes that don't feature the teens but feature some of the best characters.

I always enjoy the episode and don't mind the teens (don't care much for Jono, Tilly or Maddie though...don't hate them though).

Again I understand her fine and have never had a problem understanding her! It doesn't seem like many people have a problem with her speach so I don't think there's really a problem! As I said the only person I have understand really is sinead but then she doesn't even seem to say full words let alone pronounce them clearly!

I can understand Sinead clearly. But that's because I'm also from Liverpool. :p

I have no idea what people are talking about with Maddie's speech and I don't remember anyone bringing it up before. It seems like a sudden thing and I don't know why. I understand Maddie clearly, unless she speaks quietly. And unlike with Sinead it's not because I'm from the same city.
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    npd6900 wrote: »
    Having read the waveguide spoilers, I would guess that
    the shocking discovery Mercedes makes is that Riley has secretly been sleeping with Mitzeee, which she would see as sick as they're technically family (although it technically by law wouldn't be wrong due to the two not being that closely related)

Hi! First post on here.... Just recently got back into Hollyoaks!
    Could the something 'shocking' be her overhearing their 'divide and conquer' plot? I know that doesn't seem too shocking- but I still think Riley/Mitzeee is a way off (if it happens at all)- he still seems to have lingering feelings for Mercedes... I've never been on that site though- so I don't know how liable they are to 'hype' things up! You may be right- but as someone who would like to see Riley/Mitzeee happen, I would hope it isn't that rushed. Although the fact that he's worrying about what she might do, suggests it is something serious...

x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    I'm glad you understand her avon and I've got to admit I've never really noticed her diction because I don't really listen to her but quite a few people have said that they have a problem understanding her, it's been said a few times before.

I know you really like her and you are entitled to express that opinion other people are also at liberty to express negative opinions about her, it's not an attack on you or on her as a person it is just people saying they think she is a poor actress.

I'm pretty sure the shocking discovery Mercy makes is

Of course people are allowed of expression their opinion good or bad - did I say otherwise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course people are allowed of expression their opinion good or bad - did I say otherwise!

No but you always seem to think that people are attacking you, they aren't, acting talent is a subjective thing and there is no wrong or right, you love her, others hate her.

You almost seem to be suggesting that people are making the fact that they can't understand her up though, just because you can.

Why would anyone do that?

ETA Anyway I don't want to get dragged into this argument again, I thought tonights episode was flat, to be honest I was expecting more from the whole George thing and I am disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but you always seem to think that people are attacking you, they aren't, acting talent is a subjective thing and there is no wrong or right, you love her, others hate her.

You almost seem to be suggesting that people are making the fact that they can't understand her up though, just because you can.

Why would anyone do that?

ETA Anyway I don't want to get dragged into this argument again, I thought tonights episode was flat, to be honest I was expecting more from the whole George thing and I am disappointed.

Where have I suggested anyone is making anything up, I was pointing out that I can understand her. I also said while understand people are getting their point across they don't need to patronise me in the prosess! I stand by what i said!

If it came across any other way then I apologise but that was not what I was getting at! I was trying to put across my opinion!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about the George storyline being flat in tonight e4, I think I mentioned it in another post.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Everyone has said pretty much what I think of tonights ep. Just didn't feel any dramatic vibes from the George thing, I think it was the way he just got in the car. When he was running I expected that other guy to turn up from nowhere or him to be driving the car. Deena seemed a bit off tonight as well, something about the way she talks. trying to act evil but it's not coming naturally. Never a good sign when the filler is better than the supposed big dramatic storyline.
    Agreed, the big bloke needed to be driving the car. Or at least be waiting at the house to manhandle George into the den.

Callum/Maddie scenes as dodgy as ever. Unfortunately Maddie is dragging both down instead of Callum bringing her up. Her diction is lousy but I always use subs so it isn't as big an issue.

Osbourne scenes and Riley at the flat were very good though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Don't worry, I always feel alone in this topic judging by the negative views the episodes (and the teens) get...even the episodes that don't feature the teens but feature some of the best characters.

I always enjoy the episode and don't mind the teens (don't care much for Jono, Tilly or Maddie though...don't hate them though).

I can understand Sinead clearly. But that's because I'm also from Liverpool. :p

I have no idea what people are talking about with Maddie's speech and I don't remember anyone bringing it up before. It seems like a sudden thing and I don't know why. I understand Maddie clearly, unless she speaks quietly. And unlike with Sinead it's not because I'm from the same city.

What city is maddie from? Obviously sinead is from Liverpool!:)
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    What city is maddie from? Obviously sinead is from Liverpool!:)

I don't know about Maddie. I just looked on Google and haven't found anything. She doesn't seem to have a Wikipedia page either.

It's definitely not Liverpool, anyway.
  • Options
    BeeBumbleBeeBumble Posts: 5,925
    Forum Member
    I
    Can't be that because she finds that out on the Monday the 'shocking discovery' is on the Wednesday. Then on Thursday it say's Mittzeee is at the centre of her scorn and on Friday she confronts Mitzeee and Riley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I don't know about Maddie. I just looked on Google and haven't found anything. She doesn't seem to have a Wikipedia page either.

It's definitely not Liverpool, anyway.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maddie_Morrison

This is but it doesn't say where she's from.
  • Options
    08MattL9008MattL90 Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Well, what can I saw about yesterday's e4? Rubbish. Although the Nancy/Darren/Jack/riley stuff was great!

I used to love George's storyline, but now it just looks like they're scraping the barrel. As much as I love Deena (as a character), she wasn't believable. Any why. Why? Why did they have to add MADDIE into it? She is a hopeless character played by a bad actress. Why does she think it's her right to know everything about everyone ever? The sooner they kill her off, the better. Callum was awful tonight, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BeeBumble wrote: »
    Can't be that because she finds that out on the Monday the 'shocking discovery' is on the Wednesday. Then on Thursday it say's Mittzeee is at the centre of her scorn and on Friday she confronts Mitzeee and Riley.

Ah I didn't see that, maybe that's it then, could be interesting but my god if they start putting Mercy on her high horse then it will be bloody stupid.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Whether I like the character is irrelevant to whether or not I can understand her when she speaks - I can clearly!
    Also I don't need people to tell me they know I like the Maddie at the start or every post replying to mine, it's highly patronising!

Never meant to patronise you. We all like who we like. You've just made your preferences very clear.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Personally, yeah, I find Maddie a very poor character, on lots of levels, and adding her to the George storyline has made it very much worse.

But maybe it'll hot up a bit next week, when the focus is more on George and Phoebe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any trouble understanding the actress who plays Maddie, of course I don't pay attention to her either but any diction issues is most likely her just being lazy with it.

It's so frustrating, the George storyline in yesterdays e4 would have been so much better if only they had done a few, very obvious to the context of it, things. ie the chase scene, great, but make it scarier. Like many I was expecting the man to be there in the car or waiting or something and for there to be some force involved. George really didn't put up any fight at all. HO has done edge of the seat scary before, Fright Night was the best example of that and I guess I was expecting more on that sort of track. Even the Brendan/Ste storyline has had more punch than that in the past, excuse the pun ;)

gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the spoilers, purely because
    Dennis & Leanne stuff plus Dodger's "new" "storyline" is just the same as before..... boring. But I'm really glad Barney has something to do at last
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    Hi! First post on here.... Just recently got back into Hollyoaks!
    Could the something 'shocking' be her overhearing their 'divide and conquer' plot? I know that doesn't seem too shocking- but I still think Riley/Mitzeee is a way off (if it happens at all)- he still seems to have lingering feelings for Mercedes... I've never been on that site though- so I don't know how liable they are to 'hype' things up! You may be right- but as someone who would like to see Riley/Mitzeee happen, I would hope it isn't that rushed. Although the fact that he's worrying about what she might do, suggests it is something serious...

x
    That would be my interpretation of things that makes Mercedes explode. It is serious enough for Mercedes who hates Mitzeee anyway, If she thinks Mitzee has persuaded Riley to go a long with the plot. Not just because of the plot per say but because Riley is close enough to Mitzeee to go along with it, that would infuriate her and the following guilt trip from Riley would fit nicely into it. That being said, twice Riley has touched Mitzeees knee. So that could be a tentative start to a 'thing' going on and the guilt trip would fit that scenario also. I too want Riley Mitzeeeto be an item and have done since 'later' but I don't want it to be an 'on the bounce' thing. Riley is still not in a good place really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iShum wrote: »
    gotta say I'm a bit disappointed with the spoilers, purely because
    Dennis & Leanne stuff plus Dodger's "new" "storyline" is just the same as before..... boring. But I'm really glad Barney has something to do at last

Personally, I was under the impression that
    the mystery woman who turns up has more to do with Dennis than with Dodger cos of whatever happened whilst he was in India. Doesn't make it more interesting though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh right, yeah still pretty dull then
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Asif everyone is complaining about Darren and the pub.

We already had that storyline at the fore a few years ago. Much like his gambling addiction having a bit of a wave. He has overcome both and it is obviously to show that Darren has kinda come out the other side.

All seems part of consistent writing to remember his backstory and actual character development to me.
  • Options
    adamo8adamo8 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I really think Callum and Ruby seemed a lot more believable and better acted in there one scene then all of Callum and Maddies Scenes.

I Also hated George at the beginning but i seem to enjoy every scene he is in now. but I'm disappointed the way they have gone with Phoebe :(

I Want to see more Annalise and Scott scenes they seem to forget about them for ages and bring it up in one scene then forget about it again.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Annalise, Scott and Rob come to the foreground over the next couple of weeks.
This discussion has been closed.