Options

BBC iPlayer app on iPodTouch

I've been using the above app for ages to listen to BBC radio programmes. Last week it stopped working and it appears that it must be something to do with the iPod Touch software I have. On my iTouch I have done an update and have the latest software installed 4.2.1. The BBC app says that it needs version 4.3 for it to work.
I assume that there must have been some recent changes.
Does this mean that I will no longer be able to use my iTouch and that this is unlikely to change in the future.
Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I thought the latest version was ios5
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You may be right MeanMint but I can't get my iTouch to download anything beyond 4.2.1.
    Maybe the BBC app issaying that it needs at least version 4.3 to work.
    My iTouch is a few years old - could it be that Apple aren't going to support the model I have any more by issuing any more software updates?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    the iPlayer via Safari stopped working on my ipod touch last week. As it's a 2g Touch I can't run the iPlayer App and some sites were saying the iPlayer is no longer supported on that model.

Anyway, I reported the issue through the iPlayer site and apparently there is a problem with the iPLayer on mobile devices (all devices - it doesn't work through Safari on my iPhone4) and they are working on it. It's now listed as a known issue on the iPlayer site and you can check back there for updates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the info. merroney. Sounds as if there may be some light at the end of the tunnel after all.
  • Options
    saint paulsaint paul Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Thought it was just me, lets hope they find a fix soon.
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPod 2g is my trusty bedside companion - today I discover iPlayer site on Safari fails. Can navigate to each prog but tapping play nothing happens.
    On Android phone iPlayer app does work. On Android phone Firefox with iPlayer fails with phone not compatible message. The app stupidly cuts off the audio when screen is off so useless for listening at night. Solutions?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    buglawton wrote: »
    iPod 2g is my trusty bedside companion - today I discover iPlayer site on Safari fails. Can navigate to each prog but tapping play nothing happens.
    On Android phone iPlayer app does work. On Android phone Firefox with iPlayer fails with phone not compatible message. The app stupidly cuts off the audio when screen is off so useless for listening at night. Solutions?

See my post above. For updates check here http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/apple_browser_iplayer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link merroney.
    Let's hope the problem is resolved soon.
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks also, What with BBC's behaviours lately (eg IPlayer being the only IOS app I have ever encountered that is not installable on IOS 4.20 or lower), I thought it was an intentional phasing out of older iThings support.

Fix is eagerly awaited!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    :)Hi! after reading all the comments on everyone's posts I feel a little more reassured that we might get a positive outcome. Although it seems to be a bbc iplayer issue-having spoken to Apple support-I get the impression that Apple are not bothered that their customers with older ipods have lost bbciplayer(after all its to their advantage for us to replace our older models with later ones).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's just a problem with iPlayer, nothing to do with Apple, support or updates. It's happened before but not for this long. Although the information on the iPlayer page says it relates to older operating systems, I can't view the iPlayer through a browser on my iPhone 4 so it's a mobile browser issue rather than an iPod software age issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to the iPlayer website, the fix has now been rolled and iPlayer should now work again on iPhones/iPod Touches that use iOS 4.2 or older. http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/announcements/apple_browser_iplayer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the update merroney.

All seems to be working ok here - our listening pleasures have been restored!
  • Options
    saint paulsaint paul Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Yay, my insomniac pleasures have been restored :p