Options

Romney can beat Obama

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 873
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

It appears gas prices in the U.S. will likely go to 10 american dollars a gallon right before the election. I know people in the UK simply don't want to see anyone from the right wing get elected in America, but I think Obama will be out.

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is change good for the US at present?
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the republican candidates I think he is the only one that can beat Obama, will here though....I'm not sure.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,067
    Forum Member
    Romney just isn't able to connect to most normal Americans though, which matters a lot in POTS elections.
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    So, in effect, Rasmussen's daily tracking presidential poll, shows an 11-point swing from Obama (-5) to Romney (+6) in as little as four days

Obama was ahead of Romney by 6 (49-43) on Wednesday yet now trails by 5 (43-48) ???
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Romney doesn't represent anything, he is part of the much maligned elite establishment and the grassroots in his own party dispise him. He shifts his opinion too readily for Americans liking. I liked the joke - An Irish man, a black man and a jew walked into a bar and he said, "Hi my names Mitt Romney"
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

It appears gas prices in the U.S. will likely go to 10 american dollars a gallon right before the election. I know people in the UK simply don't want to see anyone from the right wing get elected in America, but I think Obama will be out.

Remotely credible source please.
  • Options
    Dave HawkDave Hawk Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Romney doesn't represent anything, he is part of the much maligned elite establishment and the grassroots in his own party dispise him. He shifts his opinion too readily for Americans liking. I liked the joke - An Irish man, a black man and a jew walked into a bar and he said, "Hi my names Mitt Romney"

Mitt Romney is what he is - a valueless cipher
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... and with the Republicans in charge they can finish off the Bush legacy of bankrupting the US Treasury.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is true that, among other things, Romney has fought the primaries on the basis that his wife has got two cadillacs and that he has a friend who owns formula one cars and offering to bet another candidate 10 thousand dollars.

That might get him past the guy who said there were three important topics, the economy, education and er he couldn't remember the other one, and even beat also the man who wants to legalise drugs and the woman whose great great grandma lived when there were dinosaurs.

But against someone who has a clue about campaigning he would get a shellacking and Obama is rather higher class than that. It will be Long John Silver versus Lionel Messi.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be said though Obama's had one of the worst first term approval ratings for any president. He still averages mid 40's and Clinton and Reagan were near 60 at this point in time.

So although Obama's favourite, he's not a shoe in with those approval ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Remotely credible source please.

It is only rumor and speculation being put out by very left wing green energy sources. I have also heard commetators on CNN claim it could happen. Gas prices in California alone are now over 5 american dollars a gallon and gas prices usually go up right before a U.S. election. They are high for people now so if they go up any further, Obama is giong to be in trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rick Santorum could not do it with all his sex talk but Romney can beat Obama.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/03/04/cantor-romney-can-beat-obama.html
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obama's problem is that he hasn't done much.

Romney's problem is that seemingly even the Republican voters don't trust him to do much.

Economy isn't yet great so it's better the devil you know. At least thats how i think it will play out. Can't ignore though Romney's failure to pull away from what is a pretty AWFUL bunch of fellow candidates in the Republican party.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rasmussen are the biggest joke pollsters going, I don't know why UK media always quotes them as a reliable source. Their pro-Republican bias is legendary in the US.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,700
    Forum Member
    Rick Santorum could not do it with all his sex talk but Romney can beat Obama.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/03/04/cantor-romney-can-beat-obama.html

You do know who Eric Cantor is don't you? The leader of Romney's party in the House of Representatives and only one step below the Speaker. That's like someone putting up a video of Nancy Pelosi talking about how Obama will definitely win and suggesting that is some kind of proof.

As the old saying goes - well he would say that wouldn't he.

I think Obama is eminently beatable in November but whether Romney can do it is very debatable. Romney is barely scraping by in the primaries and it's clear that large chunks of the base of the Republican party don't really want him. As with McCain 4 years ago the Republicans may well struggle to get their base out to vote. Many see Romney as no different to Obama and would stay at home on election day.

It's also true that immediately following primaries, even in states that Romney wins, polls have shown him actually getting less popular. The poll taken in New Hampshire, Romney's back yard, following the primary there found him trailing Obama by 10% having led there previously. It seems that having got to know Mitt Romney people actually like him less.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears gas prices in the U.S. will likely go to 10 american dollars a gallon right before the election.

That would be extraordinary, it'd put US and UK prices about level. Petrol used to cost about three times less over there.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Cost me effing £1.38 a litre today.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose it depends on who the money is spent on when it's campaign trail time.

They say money talks, and it certainly did the last time.
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that ever happens you can expect a huge riot over here.
  • Options
    martyn20martyn20 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member

The President of the United States has very little to do with gas prices, it's not a tax issue like here. Sensible people know this, even the right wing Fox News and Bill O'Reilly was saying gas prices were nothing to do with the President when Bush 2 was in the White House.
    The Republicans want to go to war with Iran the day they win the election so what do they think that Presidential decision will do at the pumps?
    Of all the candidates Obama is the happiest right now, did you see the economic numbers on Fridays, Fox News forgot to report them for some reason?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By the way I doubt anyone in the UK really wants a Republican victory
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is that once the candidate is selected, whether it be Romney or someone else, they're going to have to 'fight' someone who exists.

The base will love Obama being painted as this anti-American, tax-raising, anti-family, college-going snob.

When it comes to winning over 'normal' people, it won't wash. The Republicans have simply been inventing an opponent to stand against because it's not difficult to get the base to support that.

The wider country will just be confused at attacking this fictional president they've made up for themselves. Obama is in the same position as Clinton was in 96. Just do..nothing. He'll win.
  • Options
    MikaelMikael Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the guy that strapped a dog on the roof of his car and went a 12 hour trip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mikael wrote: »
    This is the guy that strapped a dog on the roof of his car and went a 12 hour trip.

Of course he stopped when the dog was ill, cleaned the car down and put the dog back on the roof and set off again!
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    The problem is that once the candidate is selected, whether it be Romney or someone else, they're going to have to 'fight' someone who exists.

The base will love Obama being painted as this anti-American, tax-raising, anti-family, college-going snob.

When it comes to winning over 'normal' people, it won't wash. The Republicans have simply been inventing an opponent to stand against because it's not difficult to get the base to support that.

The wider country will just be confused at attacking this fictional president they've made up for themselves. Obama is in the same position as Clinton was in 96. Just do..nothing. He'll win.

Clinton's approval ratings were stronger, and the country had a higher sense of being the right direction. The opposition is worse for Obama however (in that its much crazier).