Options

BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Why is the Alan Titchmarsh (AT he calls himself, TIT i call him) show so DULL? He asked Mary Berry "What started you off cooking?" " Are people nervous to ask you for dinner" and "how come you're not fat? " (re-worded):yawn: Oh and she would have poached eggs as her last meal, apparently ZZZZZ

He might have aksed with whom is she sleeping to find herself back on TV??? I have nothing against the woman personally, but she must be 100 if she's a day and has done all aspects of cookery to death more than once.
  • Options
    ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    It's not going to stop me eating meat twice a day. They mention that the people who eat meat also scored more highly for smoking, being sedentary, and other things, so I prefer to think that may be the reason for the increased mortality. I'm a glass-half-full person, so I deduct for the fact that I don't smoke, and my risk then evens out to nil. ;) I eat a ton of meat and my blood pressure is good (my diastolic is actually slightly low, but I have no symptoms of low blood pressure). I have no idea why meat should be bad for us--in my family we always ate meat at least once a day, and I can only think of one case of a heart attack. Hope I am not tempting fate.

They also didn't specify what the meat was eaten with and it included hot dogs, burgers and plastic deli meats.....
  • Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »
    How lovely.:) We had a little watery sun today so I sat out for a couple of hours, under a rug, it was very pleasant and the birdsong was deafening...

Yes, the only snag I forgot to mention was the racket the local rooks are making. They have an enormous colony in two glorious old copper beeches a few doors down the hill, and they are nestbuilding at the moment. Ugliest-sounding bird on earth. But they're fascinating to watch at this time of year. Even though their rookery is in among gardens, they spend most of their life in the fields and you never see them up close except at this time of year. Even now, they won't land to pick up the many twigs on the ground but instead will endeavour, often for a long time, to break twigs off trees. They usually labour in twos, which is very romantic of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Been another scorcher today--quite extraordinary. Gardened all day, planting English bluebells, gladioli corms, and some St Patrick's Cabbage I found in a footpath wall, plus moving lots of things around and cutting stuff back and apart--don't usually do the latter things till late April, but everything's ahead of itself.

It's so perfect and peaceful here at the moment--the houses on each side of me are empty, and the shouty, sweary lady who spends all day and every day in her garden (next to my backdoor neighbour) is not in evidence. It's just me and my friend the robin, chirping his little heart out. Had breakfast and lunch outside: bacon and liver, and then trout and savoury rice--well, I call it savoury rice: it is rice fried with onion powder, mixed herbs, and turmeric (I just add turmeric to make it go all saffrony yellow and Zen).

Life is very sweet--I suppose it can't last (sometimes months will go by without weather like today's, so I drink it in).

Sounds idyllic DL, Cornwall is my very favourite county in the UK, I can picture your day as I type! I think I forgot to mention the other day that I shall pinch your idea of children's seed collections - brilliant way to get variety into a patch, and so easy. Thank you:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    :D

He has a point - it depends how far you're going and on what type of road.I drive more quickly on motorways but most of my driving is on ordinary roads.

I don't like TIT, he gives himself airs because he reckons to be 'friendly' with Prince Charles. A few years ago we saw him in a restaurant during the CFS sounding off bout 'the general public'. I didn't like him before that, he always put me in mind of Uriah Heap!

OMG Balders - imagine having to live with Mario and his tango-ed partner. I'm so glad you didn't get in, you'd be in an institution by now if you had:rolleyes:

Pah the indefatigable Balders would have them lot in the nut house.

I think my "hoy daft ****" attitude will get me nommed though:D

I'd be a total game player too, Sh*t stirring I'll show them sh*t stirring:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They also didn't specify what the meat was eaten with and it included hot dogs, burgers and plastic deli meats.....

Yes - there has to be an enormous difference in 3 slices of rare beef and a processed burger:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was disappointed that all red meat got a bad rap, not only the processed, though the processed was worse. I can well believe that the person who eats hot dogs, corn dogs, etc., has worse health, if only for the likelihood that they will have it with a Coke or a beer. I wonder if American red meat is a little worse than ours: they mostly don't have local butchers over there and get most meat from the supermarket--I very rarely buy supermarket meat, because it's less good than the butchers and not always cheaper either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, the only snag I forgot to mention was the racket the local rooks are making. They have an enormous colony in two glorious old copper beeches a few doors down the hill, and they are nestbuilding at the moment. Ugliest-sounding bird on earth. But they're fascinating to watch at this time of year. Even though their rookery is in among gardens, they spend most of their life in the fields and you never see them up close except at this time of year. Even now, they won't land to pick up the many twigs on the ground but instead will endeavour, often for a long time, to break twigs off trees. They usually labour in twos, which is very romantic of them.

Celeste chased one of her toys out onto the balcony yesterday, a stuffed bird which was shedding tail feathers. When I went to peg the washing out, I was just in time to see a little wren making off with a lime green and a shocking pink feather, that will be a very gay nest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds idyllic DL, Cornwall is my very favourite county in the UK, I can picture your day as I type! I think I forgot to mention the other day that I shall pinch your idea of children's seed collections - brilliant way to get variety into a patch, and so easy. Thank you:cool:

I highly recommend Chiltern seeds children's one, which is a very full packet and produced a magnificent display: you can buy from them online. It was the best mixed annuals pack I have ever bought. There are so many in the pack that you could sow half now and half after the last frost and win either way.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member

I don't like TIT, he gives himself airs because he reckons to be 'friendly' with Prince Charles. A few years ago we saw him in a restaurant during the CFS sounding off bout 'the general public'. I didn't like him before that, he always put me in mind of Uriah Heap!

:D:D:D Exactly like Uriah Heep
    He's got one of those accents that just makes him sound unctuous and in love with himself. But the man is possibly the cleverest gardening expert I've seen on TV (my favourite is the lovely Mony Don, but Titmarsh borders on genius in the usefulness of his ideas and lucidity of explanation).
    Funnily enough, i quite like his gardening shows.
    Hicky wrote: »
    The problem seems to be processed food, but most food is processed.
    Breakfast of bacon sausage, black pudding is all processed.

How can you get bacon or sausage or black pudding that isn't?

And i've only been eating that virtually every day for the last 60 years, so i'll have to cut down, i already cut down the sausages at work from 3 to 2, but then i had to add bacon to make up.
    I suppose bacon doesnt have to be pumped full of additives like some that turn to a white sludge but it sounds like you get decent stuff anyway.
    I would carry on just the same if i were you, Hicky. It has served you well this long and you seem to be doing good on it. :)
    I don't think something which if we were in the wild would be essential for survival can be killing us, unless it is the combination with other factors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was disappointed that all red meat got a bad rap, not only the processed, though the processed was worse. I can well believe that the person who eats hot dogs, corn dogs, etc., has worse health, if only for the likelihood that they will have it with a Coke or a beer. I wonder if American red meat is a little worse than ours: they mostly don't have local butchers over there and get most meat from the supermarket--I very rarely buy supermarket meat, because it's less good than the butchers and not always cheaper either.

Luckily, we still have many small butchers here and they hang the meat properly so no need to buy anywhere else.I have, however,been buying Argentinian steaks from the supermarket recently as they are on offer because they are not selling. I think it is because it has been aged and is marbled with fat and, next to the bright, synthetic red of the other stuff, it doesn't look as appetising. It is beautiful eating, tender and flavoursome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Celeste chased one of her toys out onto the balcony yesterday, a stuffed bird which was shedding tail feathers. When I went to peg the washing out, I was just in time to see a little wren making off with a lime green and a shocking pink feather, that will be a very gay nest.

I have a lovely little wren out the back. I've counted 37 species of birds in the garden--all the typical British ones. Fantastic how they each have their niche in the eco system. Bluetits are the ones I love the most--I could watch them all day.

Do the Greeks eat wild birds? In Italy they put up nets in their gardens to catch them--they eat them all, and the only wild birds you see over there are seagulls and crows off the coast. Made me really appreciate the abundance here.

Are you on the stork paths? I loved seeing them nested on houses in Turkey.
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol it will, i bet Celeste would have wished she'd been there when the Wren was about !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lovely little wren out the back. I've counted 37 species of birds in the garden--all the typical British ones. Fantastic how they each have their niche in the eco system. Bluetits are the ones I love the most--I could watch them all day.

Do the Greeks eat wild birds? In Italy they put up nets in their gardens to catch them--they eat them all, and the only wild birds you see over there are seagulls and crows off the coast. Made me really appreciate the abundance here.

37 :confused::eek: Your lucky to see that may different species, we have about a half dozen:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luckily, we still have many small butchers here and they hang the meat properly so no need to buy anywhere else.I have, however,been buying Argentinian steaks from the supermarket recently as they are on offer because they are not selling. I think it is because it has been aged and is marbled with fat and, next to the bright, synthetic red of the other stuff, it doesn't look as appetising. It is beautiful eating, tender and flavoursome.

Yes, some things from the supermarket are OK. I recently had some ultra cheap pork shoulder steaks from Tesco, bogof, which I chopped up and stewed in the slow cooker.

Thinking aloud, I just remembered reading somewhere that Americans eat out or have takeaways more than they cook. That might shift the quality of the meat they eat downward. Even if you eat a good piece of meat in a restaurant, you don't know what it was cooked in, and you have no control over the sauce, marinade, etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member

They eat them more on the Islands, these days, and the Cypriots are very fond of them. We are not on the stork paths here but our friends in the Peloponnese see a lot of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    37 :confused::eek: Your lucky to see that may different species, we have about a half dozen:rolleyes:

Sometimes I've seen eight or nine species in a tree at once. They all have their regular level--starlings at the top, down a bit to jackdaws, down a bit to thrushes, down a bit to blackbirds, the robin at the bottom, and the wren on the trunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think most of ours is from supermarkets now isnt it? We have a butcher round the corner but it is the last traditional food shop we have since we were "blessed" with a 3 tescos, 2 lidls, 3 aldis, asda , 2 co-ops and a sainsburys within a two and a half mile radius.

We have a massive tit in the garden, really huge and fat. He hangs around (lumbers and thumps) with all the other usual tits but i think he must be a hybrid or throwback to a pterodactyl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I've seen eight or nine species in a tree at once. They all have their regular level--starlings at the top, down a bit to jackdaws, down a bit to thrushes, down a bit to blackbirds, the robin at the bottom, and the wren on the trunk.

Wow that must be something to see, always in the same order:confused: How funny:)
    We have sparrows, blue tits, Blackbirds, Magpies, Robins and of course Pigeons, i think thats all we have - oh wait i just remembered starlings, so thats 7 more then i thought
  • Options
    HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D Exactly like Uriah Heep

Funnily enough, i quite like his gardening shows.

I suppose bacon doesnt have to be pumped full of additives like some that turn to a white sludge but it sounds like you get decent stuff anyway.
    I would carry on just the same if i were you, Hicky. It has served you well this long and you seem to be doing good on it. :)

I don't think something which if we were in the wild would be essential for survival can be killing us, unless it is the combination with other factors.
    I find it very frustrating that they tell us not to eat all this food, but noone seems to be telling the manufacturers what to do.

It seems a crazy situation to me.

Why can't they make bacon & sausage that it good for you.

The sausage we eat at home is 95% pork (chipolatas)anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem seems to be processed food, but most food is processed.
    Breakfast of bacon sausage, black pudding is all processed.

How can you get bacon or sausage or black pudding that isn't?

And i've only been eating that virtually every day for the last 60 years, so i'll have to cut down, i already cut down the sausages at work from 3 to 2, but then i had to add bacon to make up.

You can get virtually unprocessed sausages--they just stuff beef into the skins. You can get 100% beefburgers, but I don't really see the point, as you can make them the same yourself with mince at a quarter the price. You can get bacon that was cured without sugar, but there's no getting round the processed label, because of the nitrites--nitrite-free bacon is available, but it's not that nice. A piece of bacon is much closer to the original meat than something like corned beef or salami, so I eat it with a clear conscience--streaky preferred.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get virtually unprocessed sausages--they just stuff beef into the skins. You can get 100% beefburgers, but I don't really see the point, as you can make them the same yourself with mince at a quarter the price. You can get bacon that was cured without sugar, but there's no getting round the processed label, because of the nitrites--nitrite-free bacon is available, but it's not that nice. A piece of bacon is much closer to the original meat than something like corned beef or salami, so I eat it with a clear conscience--streaky preferred.

:D:D I was almost through reading this post before I realised it wasn't Hicky
    You can get 100% beefburgers, but I don't really see the point, as you can make them the same yourself

This is pure Hicky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it very frustrating that they tell us not to eat all this food, but noone seems to be telling the manufacturers what to do.

I agree with you: it's shocking that the mass-market food industry persists in stuffing everything with salt, sugars, hydrogenated fats, additives, colourings, cornflour, etc., all of which have a weight of research against them on health grounds. The truth is that these ingredients are combined in such a way as to make processed food addictive--salt, sugar, and trans fats are known to make people want to eat more. The industry is not going to stop adding ingedients that will stimulate people into eating more, making them more profit. Fortunately, it's increasingly possible to work one's way round the problem; but really, we shouldn't have to--in an ideal world the consumer's health would be the first concern of the mass food trade; but, of course, its first concern is profit ... through the production low-cost, addictive food.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Pork just means anything from the pig though.http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/focus/story/0,,951917,00.html
  • Options
    HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    I get the Wiltshire Oak Smoked Rind-less Streaky Bacon, i go for more in the morning as i've ran out, it is wonderful, probably bad for you, but what isn't?
    :D:D I was almost through reading this post before I realised it wasn't Hicky

This is pure Hicky
    DL is another food lover.:D
This discussion has been closed.