Options

Doctors bid to unseat 50 mp's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
Forum Member
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/doctors-bid-to-unseat-50-mps-in-revenge-over-nhs-bill-7576423.html

This could really take off, if I was Labour I would consider not having a mp run in these areas as well

Comments

• Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on them; people always take to independent candidates with honest causes. Just wait for the Coalition anti-GP smear campaigns to start.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can appreciate feelings being strong on one issue but an MP has to surely have interests across the board not just in unseating someone over one issue.

Will they give a toss about the economy, education, policing or constituents who are having planning permission problems with wanting to build an extension onto the upstairs bedroom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I can appreciate feelings being strong on one issue but an MP has to surely have interests across the board not just in unseating someone over one issue.

Will they give a toss about the economy, education, policing or constituents who are having planning permission problems with wanting to build an extension onto the upstairs bedroom?

The democratic process allows anyone to stand on any platform they wish, and I think we should all respect that.

If they receive a majority of the votes based on the issue/issues on which they stand, then the public agree with them.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »

I think you'll find that no MPs has any "interests" whatsoever.

It's the electorate who have "interests" and the MPs job to represent those interests.

That's how it works.
  • Options
    geordiejackiegeordiejackie Posts: 3,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely good on them,,,,,,, now wait for the backtrack as they see themselves removed from the trough they will be widdling their pants at this :D
    good on the doctors
    regards Jack
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting quite alarmed at the media in this country, it's increasingly like Russia.

The Indy headline on this article:

Doctors Bid To Unseat 50 MPs In Revenge Over NHS Bill

Revenge?, I don't think so. But it reveals a great deal about the direction that media organisations, owned by individuals with corporate interests, are going in.
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctors are just pissed off that their £100,000 a year might be at risk. I have no respect for them whatsoever.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I'm getting quite alarmed at the media in this country, it's increasingly like Russia.

The Indy headline on this article:

Doctors Bid To Unseat 50 MPs In Revenge Over NHS Bill

Revenge?, I don't think so. But it reveals a great deal about the direction that media organisations, owned by individuals with corporate interests, are going in.

You seem to be contorting a nothing issue quite substantially there.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheesh, I thought doctors were rushed off their feet nowadays? Running a political campaign is bound to affect the amount of time they can devote to patients.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctors are just pissed off that their £100,000 a year might be at risk. I have no respect for them whatsoever.

What a disgusting comment; GPs save lives every day of every year. Get back under your bridge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

until you need one :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member

It's the electorate who have "interests" and the MPs job to represent those interests.

That's how it works.

Of course that is not how it works. They may bring up local issues but on the big national issues their job is to argue from their own political point of view.

As for this threat. This will have very little effect except perhaps drawing votes away form the anti government parties. Which will ensure that the incumbent MP will more likely win (especially if that MP is a Conservative).
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt some MPs give a flying rat's ass about their voters, anyway, and their only aim is to get their feet under the table and their snouts in the trough on that Westminster gravy train.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to note that these medicos are targetting Lib Dems and Marginal Tory seats...................but not marginal Labour Seats.

Or, is it just the cynic in me which believes that what they're really after is a return to Labour "throw more money at the NHS" policies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt some MPs give a flying rat's ass about their voters, anyway, and their only aim is to get their feet under the table and their snouts in the trough on that Westminster gravy train.

And that's why they will or should be worried about this the gravy train is what they love best
    regards jack
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting to note that these medicos are targetting Lib Dems and Marginal Tory seats...................but not marginal Labour Seats.

Or, is it just the cynic in me which believes that what they're really after is a return to Labour "throw more money at the NHS" policies.

Except that they will only split the Anti Conservative/Lib Den vote so helping them.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    Except that they will only split the Anti Conservative/Lib Den vote so helping them.

One wonders if they've really thought it through.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I guess it depends on which seats...........if they stand in seats which are Tory/Lib Dem marginals and where Labour always trails in a distant 3rd, then they won't be helping split the anti-coalition vote.........
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How much should doctors get then? NMW?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure Labour will be eying up these areas and deciding what to do in each circumstance.
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member

That's how it works.

Sadly the only interest an MP has is self-interest. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Labour will be eying up these areas and deciding what to do in each circumstance.

Labour will never decide not stand in a seat. It would damage them too much as a party.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,427
    Forum Member
    On the eve of the embattled legislation's final hurdle in Parliament, scores of GPs, consultants and other NHS doctors have signed a letter to The Independent on Sunday condemning the Bill as an "embarrassment to democracy" and pledging to stand as candidates against MPs who backed it. Nick Clegg and other senior Lib Dems will be specifically targeted on polling day in 2015, as well as those in marginal seats, for betraying the wishes of activists at last week's spring conference who called for a last-minute rethink of the reforms.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/doctors-bid-to-unseat-50-mps-in-revenge-over-nhs-bill-7576423.html

I very much welcome this move that is being done out of principle to save the NHS from mindless, unnecessary and costly reform. Furthermore, this has the potential to get some well educated but independent-minded MPs into parliament as opposed to the mindless, braindead "Stepford Wives" sheep MPs who obey the party whips every time and don't have a thought or opinion of their own.

This does have the potential to decapitate a number of Tory and Lib Dem MPs and I very much welcome this move. If I had the opportunity to vote for one of these independent doctors over my current coalition MP then I almost certainly would vote for them (and I might even offer to help too).
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    How much should doctors get then? NMW?
    How much do you think they'd get if it was an open market?

David Starkey was absolutely right with what he said about Doctors. If the Tories offered them more money, they'd forget about any opposition they had to the NHS reforms. Unfortunately, the Tories aren't going to do that.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much do you think they'd get if it was an open market?

David Starkey was absolutely right with what he said about Doctors. If the Tories offered them more money, they'd forget about any opposition they had to the NHS reforms. Unfortunately, the Tories aren't going to do that.

Would you say the US is an open market? Do you think doctors are paid less there?