Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what I would quite like to see? A tour to South America, their economy is growing quite quick, so one would imagine, there is a fiar bit of disposable income there, plus there might be a few sponsors that might be interested in us, and it would be quite nice to play teams like Santos, Corinthians, Boca, etc.
    I know it is a reallllllllllllllyyyyyyy long trip, but then so are some of our Asian tours.
    We could also pay lip service to our feeder club out there as well, and see how our youngsters are getting on.

Maybe not this year, but maybe in the future, as it is an untapped market of sorts I fee, espcially to clubs in this country.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Little bit from SAF's press conference today.....

Boss responds to Vieira
    Sir Alex has responded to Patrick Vieira's criticism of the decision to bring Paul Scholes out of retirement.

The former Arsenal legend, now working for Manchester City, had attempted to turn up the pressure on the champions by suggesting the Blues have nothing to fear from a club that needed to add a member of the coaching team to the playing staff. In Vieira's view, it was an act of desperation because the Reds were losing Ravel Morrison and Paul Pogba.

It looked to most observers as a clear example of trying to play mind games but the master of these situations was happy to laugh it off.

"If it’s desperation, bringing the best midfielder in Britain for the last 20 years back, then I think we can accept that," said Sir Alex at Friday's press conference. "I think he was programmed for that. Roberto [Mancini] had a wee dig a couple of weeks back. We’re all going to play our hand that way. There will be plenty of ammunition for that [any mind games].

"I think the point he makes about Ravel Morrison and losing our young players – we wanted to sell him, let’s be clear about that, for obvious reasons. But we want Pogba to stay.

"If you talk about desperation, they played a player [Carlos Tevez] the other night who refused to go on the pitch and the manager said he’d never play again and he takes a five-month holiday in Argentina…what is that? Could that come under the description of desperation? There will be plenty of ammunition don’t worry."
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,549
    Forum Member
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I've only been to 3 Utd testimonials to be honest. Cantona, Scholes, and Ole. I nearly went to the Giggs one but hubby put his foot down :D

Has anyone heard on the grapevine about if/where we're doing our pre season tour this year? I'm fancying a little tripette.

The only testimonial I have ever been to was the one at Coventry for David Busst. I had empathy for him as his career was ended about 15 metres in front of me and he had not been a professional player for long (was a latecomer).
    I also had an inkling that it would be Eric's last game in a United shirt and so it proved.

Boss responds to Vieira
    Sir Alex has responded to Patrick Vieira's criticism of the decision to bring Paul Scholes out of retirement.

The former Arsenal legend, now working for Manchester City, had attempted to turn up the pressure on the champions by suggesting the Blues have nothing to fear from a club that needed to add a member of the coaching team to the playing staff. In Vieira's view, it was an act of desperation because the Reds were losing Ravel Morrison and Paul Pogba.

It looked to most observers as a clear example of trying to play mind games but the master of these situations was happy to laugh it off.

"If it’s desperation, bringing the best midfielder in Britain for the last 20 years back, then I think we can accept that," said Sir Alex at Friday's press conference. "I think he was programmed for that. Roberto [Mancini] had a wee dig a couple of weeks back. We’re all going to play our hand that way. There will be plenty of ammunition for that [any mind games].

"I think the point he makes about Ravel Morrison and losing our young players – we wanted to sell him, let’s be clear about that, for obvious reasons. But we want Pogba to stay.

"If you talk about desperation, they played a player [Carlos Tevez] the other night who refused to go on the pitch and the manager said he’d never play again and he takes a five-month holiday in Argentina…what is that? Could that come under the description of desperation? There will be plenty of ammunition don’t worry."

Never try to mind game the master:D
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,345
    Forum Member

Boss responds to Vieira

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, please welcome the undefeated champion of Mind Games, Sir Alex Ferguson. Let the games begin.:D
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, please welcome the undefeated champion of Mind Games, Sir Alex Ferguson. Let the games begin.:D

The Berties are in for a rude awakening.

Awash with cash.
    Ego's United.

Hang on tight, get strapped in and prepare for Fergie's white knuckle ride.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know I've said my piece on this in the past but even reading that article about Rooney breaking a 9 yr olds wrist with his wayward shot at weekend and the first thing the berties start banging on about him coming from wherever and Utd fans not from Manchester blah blah.

Seriously - how the f**k are they going to have world domination and turn the world blue if they can't accept fans from outside the Beswick postcode?!

I really shouldn't play on the MEN website :cry:

Edit - smiling again now. Just seen this on Twitter...

"I can't believe the newspapers didn't go with the headline 'Robby put the kettle on" :D
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If i'm obsessed why are you on the United thread so often?

Ryan Giggs couldn't keep it in his pants but I don't remember anything else to tarnish his name.

Do I need your authorisation to criticise Chelsea on any threads related to football?

I have I created any threads critcising Chelsea FC?

Even if I had which I haven't ,is it any of your concern?

Do you devote the same energy to other forum members that criticise other clubs such as you have to mine?

As for the Newcastle thread:confused:why would I be there?

A chance meeting with you perhaps? Fraid I'd rather wash my hair.:rolleyes:

You carry on your anti-Chelsea trolling Nin. I realised that for a "Northern" United fan disliking Chelsea so much especially when this season we are not really a rival is a huge compliment. Thanks lady.

As for the Newcastle bit, that went woosh right over your head. ;)

Have a nice weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone know when the 2nd leg of the Youth semi is and if on telly ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    Anyone know when the 2nd leg of the Youth semi is and if on telly ?

Either Friday 13th or Monday 16th April, I'm not sure about the TV coverage, though I suspect that if neither ITV or ESPN are picking up the game then the FA themselves will stream the game live, like they did the semi finals last year, plus for sure both Chelsea TV and MUTV will show the games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either Friday 13th or Monday 16th April, I'm not sure about the TV coverage, though I suspect that if neither ITV or ESPN are picking up the game then the FA themselves will stream the game live, like they did the semi finals last year, plus for sure both Chelsea TV and MUTV will show the games.

Thanks. I didn't realise that the first leg was on ITV4 so maybe they might have it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Did you see the Queen today? She came through Hulme past work - dear lord she looked petrified!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you see the Queen today? She came through Hulme past work - dear lord she looked petrified!

No I didn't bother this time. I've seen her a few times if I'm honest. Got invited to see her at Man Airport once, only 250 of us there, through work invites and then seen her in Manchester for her last Jubille celebrations. Was thinking of popping down to the BBC, however decided against it.

Hulme and Moss Side aren't that bad to be honest, I've never had any issue with those area's. I wonder if on the tour of the BBC she was introduced to any of the "stars" of football focus or MOTD???
  • Options
    MusInce92MusInce92 Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of all the 'mind games' stuff myself. To be frank, i think it's a load of old b*llocks, mostly fabricated by the press to make slow news days go by quicker.

I have noticed several of our players trying to get City to bite over recent weeks. I'm not sure we need to bother. We have proven marginally better than them over 29 games, if we keep that up over the final 9 we'll be Champions, simple as that.

Young, Evans, Ferdinand, Rooney and others keep feeling the need to assure us that City will 'bottle it' at some point. They haven't so far and we're still top of the table. Let's just get on with our football and ignore them, we're giving the impression we're worried.

Vieira's comments are also unecessary, but are around three weeks old. I'm not sure why they have resurfaced now.

Those involved, on both sides, are just footballers. It's a surprisingly stress and pressure-free job compared to those lots of people do. Whoever wins the title will have been slightly better at football over 38 games, it's as simple as that, the rest of the tabloid-orchestrated 'heat' is something i think we can do without.
  • Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was good to see Ben Pearson back after a long absence with glandular fever doing so well particularly in the tackling department. Joe Rothwell has been out for five months with a serious hip injury. Hopefully he gets over that.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,548
    Forum Member
    I saw last night that Spurs are playing LA Galaxy & NY Metros - sorry Red Bulls - and that was what caught my eye. I'd have quite fancied a US trip.

Ooooh retro sounds good though - we could play Molde.

Chelsea are also in the US and playing Celtic at Yankee Stadium!! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jokanovic wrote: »
    You carry on your anti-Chelsea trolling Nin. I realised that for a "Northern" United fan disliking Chelsea so much especially when this season we are not really a rival is a huge compliment. Thanks lady.

As for the Newcastle bit, that went woosh right over your head. ;)

Have a nice weekend.

Why are you still here then if I'm a troll?

Is this the Chelsea thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's been suggested that United have taken the option of signing Lucas Evangelista today. He'll sign in Feb when he's 18, in the mean time he's trying to get his passport sorted out or he'll have to take a stint at FC Twente.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Boss responds to Vieira

Beautiful :D

Fergie may be a stubborn old git, and occasionally his team selections are frankly :eek: , but my God we'll miss him when he's gone. There's nobody better at this sort of thing than he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Beautiful :D

Fergie may be a stubborn old git, and occasionally his team selections are frankly :eek: , but my God we'll miss him when he's gone. There's nobody better at this sort of thing than he is.

There's only Jose that would get anywhere near when it comes to press conferences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing a bit of reading today, and it seems all the talk of Barca's famous "Tiki-Taka" style of football comes from us, in our early days!

Here is a report on how we used to play in the 1907-1908 season (from the old newspaper called Topical Times)

"....With head, arms and hands Meredith would make all kinds of quaint signals and a Manchester United player would be seen taking up a fresh position upon the field. Sure as death, in a few minutes the Welsh wizard would be seen chasing down the field and at the finish whiz! would come the ball within an inch of the player who had evidently got his instructions by the tick-tack method."

Now I am no Spanish language expert, but surley "tick-tack" translates nearly to "tiki-taka"?? :confused:

We deserve more credit, perhaps Messi might want to come and play for the team that ACTUALLY invented the "tiki-taka" method of play?! Not the team that claims to! :D;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been in the Liverpool thread. PMSL!
    They've turned on virtually everybody they defended at the start of the season. Even King Kenny's halo is slipping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    Just been in the Liverpool thread. PMSL!
    They've turned on virtually everybody they defended at the start of the season. Even King Kenny's halo is slipping.

I can't believe that some would have Rafa back either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that some would have Rafa back either.

I'm surprised no one has asked for Souness back yet:D Seriously though, I think they realise that the promised land is as far off as it was for United back in 86 when Sir Alex came down from Aberdeen. The club needs a rebuild, and whilst personally I don't think Kenny is the man (he's never rebuilt a team or club), it will be interesting to see what happens..

We have to be careful, they don't some how do to us what we did to them and become the force in English football. Chelsea and City will be there or there abouts with the money, but we can't let Liverpool overtake us ever again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no one has asked for Souness back yet:D Seriously though, I think they realise that the promised land is as far off as it was for United back in 86 when Sir Alex came down from Aberdeen. The club needs a rebuild, and whilst personally I don't think Kenny is the man (he's never rebuilt a team or club), it will be interesting to see what happens..

We have to be careful, they don't some how do to us what we did to them and become the force in English football. Chelsea and City will be there or there abouts with the money, but we can't let Liverpool overtake us ever again.

Why no love for Roy Evans?! :D:o;)

Isn't Houiller free at the moment, why not bring him back, have a bit of retro 90's and have them as "Joint Managers" again, as that worked oh so well last time! :D:D
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Boss responds to Vieira

When since was Vieira a Citeh legend?:eek:

He played 2 years for them at the end of his career & was about as much use as a banker in the 2008 collapse & suddenly he's talking as if he's Mr Manchester City!:eek:

He should be at Arsenal, not Citeh & he should shut up about us.:D
This discussion has been closed.