Options

BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 41)

Comments

• Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear that gemo :(
  • Options
    LittsisLittsis Posts: 11,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    He will find out more in about six weeks when the pins are due to come out. I’m nagging Mr G for us to go down and see him in the next couple of weeks.

I thought amputation happened if there was infection and there is no sign of that.

He hasn’t had another plaster put on and he can wear shoes but he’s been told not to put any weight on it. Everyone has told him to put dried peas in his shoe.

I think they were being melodramatic and dissing Tunisian workmanship. When I had my incident I was told I could’ve lost part of my lung.

I’m going to do a lot of googling.

Maybe they were saying "you must do what we say to the letter, otherwise you will lose your leg". That might help one get through the next six weeks. How is OH reacting to it?
    O I'm sorry, it's not about me. I shall just shut up and send you all a hug.
  • Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Gemo, i am so sorry for you all. You must all be shocked and frightened. I do think you are probably right in thinking that they have presented a worst case scenario, and everything will be fine.
    I remember many years ago my brother was badly cut saving a wildcat from dogs and the doctors warned his gangrenous hand might be amputated when in fact he responded right away to treatment and i have never understood why they mentioned it at all.
    It will be very difficult for your son to keep the weight off his leg i think. Are the peas to make him aware if he presses down?
  • Options
    Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Littsis wrote: »
    Maybe they were saying "you must do what we say to the letter, otherwise you will lose your leg". That might help one get through the next six weeks. How is OH reacting to it?
    O I'm sorry, it's not about me. I shall just shut up and send you all a hug.

Mr G says he’s to busy and we are (well he is) but I’m sure we can fit in a weekend away. My son does work (writing and photography) for Mr G and he’s been slacking. It’s hard to know whether it is better to put pressure on him to get stuff done so it takes his mind off other things or to let him off.

My son said we should go and stay with them for a weekend and my son says he wants to see me it means he really, really wants to see me.

I was shocked for a minute, honey and then I remember what I was told and I’m not particularly worried and when I think of the worst case scenario I think of Heather Mills. She has many bad points but she shows what can be done after an amputation. I’ll come to terms with the worst case if it happens but I very much doubt it will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen something to cheer me up.

Just a minute is on telly – BBC2 weekdays and 6.00p.m. :)
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they’ve just given him the worst case scenario.

I’ve done some googling and found people saying that this type of fracture takes a long time to heal, but I haven’t yet found anyone saying they’ve had their limb chopped off.
    I agree, it sounds highly unlikely they intend on chopping his lower limb off because of a break which isn't infected!
    Mr G says he’s to busy and we are (well he is) but I’m sure we can fit in a weekend away. My son does work (writing and photography) for Mr G and he’s been slacking. It’s hard to know whether it is better to put pressure on him to get stuff done so it takes his mind off other things or to let him off.

My son said we should go and stay with them for a weekend and my son says he wants to see me it means he really, really wants to see me.

I was shocked for a minute, honey and then I remember what I was told and I’m not particularly worried and when I think of the worst case scenario I think of Heather Mills. She has many bad points but she shows what can be done after an amputation. I’ll come to terms with the worst case if it happens but I very much doubt it will.
    Get on a bloody train & just go..........if Mr G can't spare the time so be it, you have no reason not to go & it's only the other week he went down to see your son & left you behind! :mad:

I'm quite sure it won't come to that.
  • Options
    ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    Just seen something to cheer me up.

Just a minute is on telly – BBC2 weekdays and 6.00p.m. :)

Cheered me too!:)
  • Options
    HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Son has cast off, doctors say he has a butterfly fracture that wasn’t set properly in Tunisia and it isn’t healing and he may lose his lower leg.

That seems incredibly drastic and I can’t believe there isn’t another solution.
    omg, That's dreadful, wonder why it isn't healing if it isn't infected.:(
  • Options
    poppynymphpoppynymph Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sending gemo and son loads of hugs. lets hope it doesent come to that sending tones of good vibes to you all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hicky wrote: »
    omg, That's dreadful, wonder why it isn't healing if it isn't infected.:(

Seems that that type of fracture is slow healing. I’ve read loads of people’s reports on them with my Google searches. My guess is that it’s hard to get the bones in close contact, not that I know very much about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scots rool wrote: »
    I agree, it sounds highly unlikely they intend on chopping his lower limb off because of a break which isn't infected!

Get on a bloody train & just go..........if Mr G can't spare the time so be it, you have no reason not to go & it's only the other week he went down to see your son & left you behind! :mad:

A train out of the Borders? No trains, no dual-carriageways, bug rall here in the way of public transport.

Mr G will spare the time. I very rarely nag, plead or whine but I haven’t forgotten how to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    poppynymph wrote: »
    sending gemo and son loads of hugs. lets hope it doesent come to that sending tones of good vibes to you all

Thank you poppy.

One of the rasons I want to see him is so I can put my healing hands on him. :D:D

As well as give him a big hug.
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »

For what it's worth I agree with SR - just go and see him. I'm sure you'll both feel better for it, even though you can't wave a magic wand and make it all go away. He needs his mum.
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    A train out of the Borders? No trains, no dual-carriageways, bug rall here in the way of public transport.

Mr G will spare the time. I very rarely nag, plead or whine but I haven’t forgotten how to.

:D Go girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seems that that type of fracture is slow healing. I’ve read loads of people’s reports on them with my Google searches. My guess is that it’s hard to get the bones in close contact, not that I know very much about it.
    My O/H's sister's hubby broke his shoulder/collarbone or something, he fell down some stairs while under the influence, they pinned it and everything but it got infected and wouldn't heal, 9 or 12 months later after trying everything they could they took out the pins as they were causing the infection with it being an open wound.
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you poppy.

One of the rasons I want to see him is so I can put my healing hands on him. :D:D

As well as give him a big hug.

I am sure he will appreciate a big hug too :):)

Just hope things arent as drastic as they said and it was a worse case scenario they gave him :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My O/H's sister's hubby broke his shoulder/collarbone or something, he fell down some stairs while under the influence, they pinned it and everything but it got infected and wouldn't heal, 9 or 12 months later after trying everything they could they took out the pins as they were causing the infection with it being an open wound.

His pins are due to come out in six weeks. He’s been told to move his leg but not put any weight on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loving this underwater dancing on BBC1 Sport Relief.

Wow, how cool is this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His pins are due to come out in six weeks. He’s been told to move his leg but not put any weight on it.

At least it's not infected, or hopefully it isn't.
    How can they take the pins out if his bones aren't healed?

They didn't want to take my relatives pins out but where forced to because the infection couldn't be controlled till they did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least it's not infected, or hopefully it isn't.
    How can they take the pins out if his bones aren't healed?

They didn't want to take my relatives pins out but where forced to because the infection couldn't be controlled till they did.

I’ve no idea what their plan is. I’ve tried googling. Maybe I’ll find out more if I go to see him.

Maybe they’re hoping the healing will start when he moves his foot around more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I’ve no idea what their plan is. I’ve tried googling. Maybe I’ll find out more if I go to see him.

Maybe they’re hoping the healing will start when he moves his foot around more.
    Don't think bones can heal if they aren't held rigid.
    I know they can put bones together then keep separating them by minute amounts to make the bones longer, but think they have to be together to start the healing.
    If the bones are kept separated don't think they can knit together but may heal as 2 separate bones which wouldn't be good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think bones can heal if they aren't held rigid.
    I know they can put bones together then keep separating them by minute amounts to make the bones longer, but think they have to be together to start the healing.
    If the bones are kept separated don't think they can knit together but may heal as 2 separate bones which wouldn't be good.

You’re almost certainly right. I know you always are. I’ll just wait to hear when he has his foot chopped off and maybe I can have it embalmed and keep it as a souvenir on the mantelpiece so I will always have a little part of my son with me, even if he is miles away.
  • Options
    LittsisLittsis Posts: 11,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You’re almost certainly right. I know you always are. I’ll just wait to hear when he has his foot chopped off and maybe I can have it embalmed and keep it as a souvenir on the mantelpiece so I will always have a little part of my son with me, even if he is miles away.

Couldn't you make do with a finger instead?:o
    Either way, I shall support your decision on this matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure why they would put the pins in if the bones were not together, you would think they knew what to do in Tunisia.

But as you say, it could just take quite a while to heal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Littsis wrote: »
    Couldn't you make do with a finger instead?:o
    Either way, I shall support your decision on this matter.

That’s the thing though, Littsis, support.

I foot would stand up on its own but a finger would keep falling over.
This discussion has been closed.