Nudist colony.

ouch!!

might spill something hot down ya front :D
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    It's just another thing in the long list of standards going downhill in this country and we're poorer for it.
    Are we talking Skegness and Blackpool here? :)

I think if in a warm climate at a beach resort, casual-smart is sufficient for evening attire tbh
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP. I love it when I've had a day round the pool to come back to the room, have a lovely shower and then put on a nice maxi dress, do my hair and make up and head out for the evening.

Ay. It's always been part of our holiday routine. After a day on the beach/sightseeing/at the pool a lovely shower and nice summer dress or linen trousers/smart shorts or trousers and shirt for the boys and head off for a lovely relaxing supper.

I want to go on holiday now. :D
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »
    Why do people no longer dress for dinner on holiday, after a day on the beach or by the pool i think its nice to change into something smart for dinner but more and more people turn up to the restaraunt wearing shorts and teashirts, many hotels have dress codes which people ignore.

Too much schlepping in general these days. Standards have indeed fallen.
  • Options
    TxBelleTxBelle Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Surely it depends where you are holidaying? If I were at a 5-star hotel or eating in a posh restaurant I'd probably make an effort. If I were staying at a typical tourist hotel I'd not bother. Surely no one dresses for dinner if eating at Burger King? :D

No one around here does.:D:D
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Because they are on holiday and no rules apply,

And this is the answer!

Also, it can be very uncomfortable to get all dressed up while in a hot country when in the evening the temperature can still be high.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't bother but then I don't go near the sort of restaurants that have dress codes anyway.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course not!! Where would you put your doggy bag?
    :eek:

You've obviously never seen me eat, doggy bag? There's never enough left even for a hamster bag... ;)
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    And this is the answer!

Also, it can be very uncomfortable to get all dressed up while in a hot country when in the evening the temperature can still be high.

To get dressed up doesnt mean you have to be uncomfortable!!
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    And this is the answer!

Which is the exact reason why I bought my white linen suit.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57415949&postcount=25
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    I agree OP. I love it when I've had a day round the pool to come back to the room, have a lovely shower and then put on a nice maxi dress, do my hair and make up and head out for the evening. I really do hate it when I see people just wearing shorts and a vest or whatever when they're out for the night.
    What happened to making an effort to look good?

It's just another thing in the long list of standards going downhill in this country and we're poorer for it.

I don't understand this - I can understand why you might want to dress up - when on holiday sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. We like sight-seeing as well as the beach, and there isn't always time to shower and change before dinner. Sometimes we like to have a special lunch and will dress up for that. I wouldn't expect anyone else to though.

Surely, on holiday people are relaxing and it is a time to do what they feel comfortable about and enjoy doing. What harm is it doing to anyone else if dressing up isn't their thing. If they are saying you shouldn't, then that is another matter.
  • Options
    Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People used to dress up for dinner in their home too. Nowadays so many people just eat off a tray in their lap on the settee. It's a symbol of our decline as a nation IMO.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I am on holiday the most difficult decision I make each day is what to wear for dinner :D

I always dress to go out for dinner and drinks - my bikini and beach dress is for the day time.

Dressing doesn't have to mean a ballgown, it means having a shower and putting on something clean and semi pretty!
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I am on holiday the most difficult decision I make each day is what to wear for dinner :D

I always dress to go out for dinner and drinks - my bikini and beach dress is for the day time.

Dressing doesn't have to mean a ballgown, it means having a shower and putting on something clean and semi pretty!

Exactly.

I often go and buy some new outfits for the evening...a nice top or a nice pair of trousers that I can change into out of my shorts/t-shirt day wear...
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it depends where you go on holiday!
    We like the Adults only holidays, and you are told to dress for dinner ie. men to wear long trousers.

When my kids were younger and we went to child-friendly places we just went for dinner in casual clothes.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Why do people no longer dress for dinner on holiday, after a day on the beach or by the pool i think its nice to change into something smart for dinner but more and more people turn up to the restaraunt wearing shorts and teashirts, many hotels have dress codes which people ignore.

I always dress up for dinner in the evening on holiday its part of the fun after a day on the beach ect coming back doing your hair make up getting dressed up, unless we're just at the villa my parents have in spain in which case we all just crowd around the BBq a few nights of the week, and then we go out to eat locally the other nights and make an effort then but a hotel etc yes def dress up.
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I always dress for dinner.

I was in the Caribbean last year and some of the guests were wearing swim trunks and baseball caps to dinner (and that is all!)

It brings the atmosphere to a more casual and less special level and it annoys me. It's lazy.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say I blame them either. Who in their right mind wants to be trussed up like some stuffed Turkey when on holiday? :confused:
    I suppose Hotel holidays have their appeal pretty much in the same way as those who like Cruises, but being cooped up with a bunch of folk with pegs on their noses and a penchant for 'fancy dress' certainly has never appealed to me!

Each to their own but I much prefer touring in my motorhome, moving on to different countries whenever I like, seeing places and meeting a huge variety of people. I go to see a country......not gawp at who is wearing the most exclusive designer frock or has the most trinkets.
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    You have to dress up for dinner when you stay at most places in the Caribbean. I went to a resort in Grenada and there was an actual dress code enforcer.

Same in Mexico. Long trousers and collar for gents.
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP. I love it when I've had a day round the pool to come back to the room, have a lovely shower and then put on a nice maxi dress, do my hair and make up and head out for the evening. I really do hate it when I see people just wearing shorts and a vest or whatever when they're out for the night.
    What happened to making an effort to look good?

I agree. People no longer make as much of an effort at home either- e.g. when going to the theatre, concerts (the classical kind), going to visit family on Sunday etc. It's sad :(
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think a nice vest and shorts looks better than maxi dresses.

I think maxi dresses are for lazy people who can't be bothered to make an effort. :p

Ok, so, iyo, wearing a lovely dress with co ordinated accessories and spending time doing your hair and make up is lazier than just chucking on a vest and a pair of shorts? :confused:
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. People no longer make as much of an effort at home either- e.g. when going to the theatre, concerts (the classical kind), going to visit family on Sunday etc. It's sad :(

I know. It seems nowdays looking like you've just rolled out of bed and grabbed the first thing you find on the floor seems to be the dress code of choice for many and it does rub off on your attitude imo.

I'm not saying go back to the days where men wore a suit a tie to go to football or when you couldn't board a plane without a tie, but at least taking the time to put thought into what you wear and how you look shows you give a damn.
  • Options
    rickberickbe Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, pray, are we supposed to "dress up" in?

We are not in the 1950s, thank god.

I don't have any "formal" clothing anymore, no suits, no ties, it's all been banished from my life and disposed of. No old style shoes, the best I can do is plain black trainers and black jeans.

People used to stand for the national anthem and curtsey before Her Majesty as well. It's all gawn dinehill.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realise this is a revolutionary idea, but maybe people are more interested in having fun and getting the most out of their holiday than dressing up and doing their make-up?

If you like dressing up, fine, go for it. Don't try and pretend it makes you superior in some way, though.

I like the atmosphere in theatres and so on much better now too, now that it's more casual and more focused on the actual show, rather than on "dressing up and being seen".