Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aileen and the sketch Artist:-

She is in a room with the artist. Saul is outside. There is an album on the table. As far as I can make out it is a book with typical face shapes, hairstyles, beards etc. I image it is so the witness can give a starting point for the artist. I don't think it is a typical mugshot type book.

Saul doesn't know roof guy is black- he wouldn't ask for Brody's picture if he did. So Aileen must have been put straight into the room with the SA, and not given any type of description to Saul. Except to say he was an American.

The book on the table has several different coloured tabs at the edge. I imagine these tabs relate to ethnicity and sex? Don't know. And it's too late to be Googling e-fits.:sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's ruined the whole show for me to be honest as it's so implausible. It's the equivalent of a detective having a fling with her prime suspect whilst still trying to put a case against him that would put then in prison. Carrie's far too driven to get into a mess like that. Having said that the show as a whole is still a decent who dunnit.

Having seen the whole season, this was the point where the show lost it for me. It began to get silly and totally implausible.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Wow, what an episode! The ending was fantastic! Who thought Walker would return back from the dead, not me! They played that game very well indeed! :D
    Well, I had an epiphany last week when I thought Walker was still alive... but then dismissed it for various reasons. So I did a little Hah! when we got the reveal last night.

Except that... we don't know for definite that he's still alive... Aileen could be lying or very well briefed for all eventualities.
    Mandark wrote: »
    Carrie's far too driven to get into a mess like that. Having said that the show as a whole is still a decent who dunnit.
    I have no difficulty with believing Carrie and Brody going at it. I think Carrie is both drawn to him but determined to prove him a traitor because it vindicates her source and her conviction. When looking for the key, she was both (apparently) drunk and capable of going into the house, finding and efficiently loading the gun and then going back outside to act all drunk Carrie and compliant. Even the call to her sister may have been to fix her location with someone should she go missing. I don't buy Carrie forgetting the oven location for the key.

It's already been demonstrated to us that Carrie is happy to use sex as currency (Saul... and has she also slept with Estes?) so I don't see her having any misgivings about sex with Brodie. And I do think that if the roles were reversed and Carrie was the potential terrorist, we would not be having any debate about whether Brody was right to bed her to further his investigation.

All in all, we really aren't much further into knowing what is happening? Is it Brody? Or Walker? Or both? Or neither!! :D Is there a mole? Is Aileen telling the truth? Was the house purchased for its view of the helipad or is that another red herring? Who is after Aileen? Why didn't they try for her (sniper) when she was roaming the country for 30 hours with Saul? Is Saul the mole? I'm tending to think not, now.

I really hope this show has a proper "finish". I'll be well-miffed if it doesn't.

ETA: I thought the building up of the face by the artist and flashing from the eye he was drawing to Brody's face with Carrie was very effective. You could (or I could) see the resemblance growing. Only it wasn't... it's interesting what suggestion can do...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I am starting to think that Brodie is the good guy, I'm actually starting to believe that he is working for the CIA. Saul has something to hide, he doesn't seem to be as squeaky clean as we are being led to believe. Carrie is doing my head in plus if bodie turns out tto be a foe he can claim that she cohurst (not sure of the spelling) him and the case will fall apart. I hate people who use their bodies to frame some-one.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus Carrie's hasn't any pills on her. She looked really upset when Brody dumped her. She needs to get back to her sister or she will go batshit!!!

Carrie's suddenly realized she's been hounding the wrong man. (or so we're made to think)
    She'll probably call her sister to pick her up. Interesting that her mobile phone worked in such an remote area, but I suppose it's possible in the US

He said Issa was a guard. Maybe Issa was a nickname for Abu Nazir? Brody said he had grown to love the man because he showed him kindness. Hard to tell what the truth is in this show.

You may be right. Brody was re-living a moment in captivity when he called 'Issa'.... whoever he is.

Saul told David that it was Nazir's men who killed Faizel...but why? Is Aileen's father still around?

Brody said that he didn't pass the blade. I still think Saul did it. Brody may be lying of course, but after watching the closing shot of him crying....I think he's being honest.

Trouble is, he may seek out Abu Nazir again, seeing as he's his only friend.:eek:

Yorkshire Gold is getting a lot of publicity.:cool::p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beeper wrote: »
    I am starting to think that Brodie is the good guy, I'm actually starting to believe that he is working for the CIA. Saul has something to hide, he doesn't seem to be as squeaky clean as we are being led to believe. Carrie is doing my head in plus if bodie turns out tto be a foe he can claim that she cohurst (not sure of the spelling) him and the case will fall apart. I hate people who use their bodies to frame some-one.

That thought crossed my mind last week. I even think that Saul and Brody might be working together...but for some reason I don't like Saul. He annoys me.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    dunravin wrote: »
    Having seen the whole season, this was the point where the show lost it for me. It began to get silly and totally implausible.
    Agree....By the end of this episode, I was falling asleep, just the Yorkshire Tea, stopped me from dropping of completely.
    What with the Saul, Aileen road trip, to nowhere.
    Daughter and the Window [n-n-n-n-nineteen stitches]......Uncle Mike to the rescue; does he have that tool belt on, all the time.
    Plus Carrie & Brody at the Cabin...:yawn:....but how did Carrie get home, that's the Burning issue I take from this episode, Brody just drove off.
    Sounds like he's got a case of Stockholm syndrome.
    You'd think after 8 years.:eek:
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that Aileen & Faisel were married, yet they keep referring to him as her 'boyfriend'.:confused: It would be more plausible, IMO, if when they met she'd been 13 & him 15 rather than her being the older one. I find it odd that he's referred to as some poor kid who couldn't afford shoes, in which case how did he end up as a professor at a university? I wouldn't have thought that there was much in the way of social mobility in Saudi Arabia - a country that doesn't even allow women to drive.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will check the album on the desk when I get chance.
    Aileen and the sketch Artist:-

She is in a room with the artist. Saul is outside. There is an album on the table. As far as I can make out it is a book with typical face shapes, hairstyles, beards etc. I image it is so the witness can give a starting point for the artist. I don't think it is a typical mugshot type book.

Saul doesn't know roof guy is black- he wouldn't ask for Brody's picture if he did. So Aileen must have been put straight into the room with the SA, and not given any type of description to Saul. Except to say he was an American.

The book on the table has several different coloured tabs at the edge. I imagine these tabs relate to ethnicity and sex? Don't know. And it's too late to be Googling e-fits.:sleep::sleep:

Thanks so much for doing that Keith.
    Normandie wrote:
    ETA: I thought the building up of the face by the artist and flashing from the eye he was drawing to Brody's face with Carrie was very effective. You could (or I could) see the resemblance growing. Only it wasn't... it's interesting what suggestion can do...

Isn't it! Maybe it was for that very effect that they chose Saul to be ignorant of roof-man's general description and it wasn't a plot-hole/indication of Saul doing a deal (with Aileen) after all.
    I had an epiphany last week when I thought Walker was still alive

Did it happen during the memorial service, I wonder? The first time Brody called for Walker I thought it quite touching, but when he persisted another 2 or 3 times, I began to think he really expected Walker to come forward. Heck, I was waiting for the church doors to open myself :D

I also had no problem with Brody and Carrie going at it. And I agree, if the roles were reversed no one would question a male spy's actions...Mr Bond has been bedding the baddies for decades!

@spaniel-lover. I understood Saul to be making assumptions in an effort to find common ground with Aileen. Nothing he said (about Faizel and Aileen's relationship) came across as fact, it was all second-guessing as I heard it. The viewer has the advantage of seeing their relationship at first hand and Aileen was definitely the dominant partner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I thought that Aileen & Faisel were married, yet they keep referring to him as her 'boyfriend'.:confused: It would be more plausible, IMO, if when they met she'd been 13 & him 15 rather than her being the older one. I find it odd that he's referred to as some poor kid who couldn't afford shoes, in which case how did he end up as a professor at a university? I wouldn't have thought that there was much in the way of social mobility in Saudi Arabia - a country that doesn't even allow women to drive.

I think that they may have been wearing wedding rings for apperance, to make their cover more realistic. Refering back to how did he end up at university, it could either be Aileen/ Aileen’s father who brought him over to the US to study?
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    It does also seem a bit odd that Aileen turned so easily.
    Don't think that is the best description. She is co-operating and saving a lot of years on her sentence! She was with Saul for 25+ hours and they have a similar background, so you'd expect some sort of connection. As mentioned above, Saul found her weak spot of not being able to give Faisel a proper burial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    She is co-operating and saving a lot of years on her sentence! She was with Saul for 25+ hours and they have a similar background, so you'd expect some sort of connection.
    Saul's work was half done for him anyway because being made the subject of a execution order by your own side (safe house booby-trapped and then shot up at motel) would tend to make Aileen - or any of us - a little vengeful in outlook. :D Factor in the death of Faisal who she appears to have loved...
  • Options
    ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has already been mentioned on the thread, I only read the posts from the beginning of this page. Now that Walker is (allegedly) alive, maybe he was the driver in episode 3 who shot Lynne Reed dead? Also, I wonder if that means that the scene in the nightmare Brody had where Walker was put into a shallow grave did not actually happen, but was a figment of Brody's imagination, and not a flashback. So many possibilities, and I can't wait for the next episode!
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunravin wrote: »

I too was very disappointed with that episode. I suppose I could have just about accepted one of the road trips, but to have two totally implausible car journeys going on at the same time was too much for me to swallow.
  • Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've still got 3 episodes (might be 2 and a bit) I still can't bring myself to watch.

Must - force - myself.
  • Options
    wrighty694wrighty694 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    Firstly, i have to say i'm loving this series and the comments on here, but i just wanted to say:

A lot of comments on here and in the dailies online that are carrying review blogs are focussing a lot on 'how can she sleep with him? He's a suspected terrorist!!' and stuff like that, but remember (and this is only speculation on my part, no spoilering or watching ahead or anything) Carrie is the only one who ever really suspected that he IS the 'turned soldier' and so, while it would be rather inadvisable to jump on his bones at every available opportunity when you're full of ale (lol) i think some people are buying more into our interpretation of the plot and the characters rather than the plot itself (if you get me).
    Having said that, i had a huuuuge intake of breath when Carrie dropped the Yorkshire Tea b0ll0ck, and it was an excellent device to bring on the confrontation/interrogation that developed from it.....and i still think Saul's dodgy :D

cheers! wrighty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did it happen during the memorial service, I wonder? The first time Brody called for Walker I thought it quite touching, but when he persisted another 2 or 3 times, I began to think he really expected Walker to come forward. Heck, I was waiting for the church doors to open myself :D
    No, it was when I was watching the opening credits last week. Walker and his wife were part of the opening montage and I couldn't see why they warranted that - as they'd been a small part of the story until that point. But then the memorial service was a rather large part of the episode so I concluded that my assumption had been wrong and the montage was episode-specific.

Re the call for Walker three times (I think) at the service, it was quite spooky and appeared to unsettle the congregation but I have it in my mind that there is some tradition about summoning a spirit by calling their name three times... but otoh, I could just have read too much fantasy fiction over the years!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Louis Armstrong in the opening credits? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield
    Walker has a Twin

:eek: Please, no!!!! I hope they don't go down that route.:(

I've a feeling I know where this is heading. Brody (a sniper) will be called in to kill Walker 'again' or Abu Nazir. He'll be faced with a dilemma....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Carrie was sleeping with Brody in the hopes of getting more info out of him seeing as she had to remove the cameras in his house. I think she was just acting drunk,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Re the call for Walker three times (I think) at the service, it was quite spooky and appeared to unsettle the congregation but I have it in my mind that there is some tradition about summoning a spirit by calling their name three times... but otoh, I could just have read too much fantasy fiction over the years!

It's called the Last Roll Call, in honour of dead soldiers.

http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621047-The-Last-Roll-Call

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUAYjmYqA9I
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cool I had no idea. I wondered what that was about when I saw it.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I'm finding Carrie to be a very interesting character in a series full of interesting characters.

There were numerous references to her being able to hold her drink (getting better at pool while drinking as Brody got worse, ordering very specific drinks etc). And while I believe she is in to Brody, it is definitely not just a physical/intellectual attraction. She's intrigued by him because she is convinced there is something dodgy about him. Even when they had arrived at the cabin and were getting very friendly, she still asked him about the polygraph test. She's fascinated because she wants to beat the defences he's putting up. Her actions are very much those of a very intelligent and experienced spy rather than someone following their heart.

As soon as she stops to think about the phonecall she got from Saul (that appears to acquit Brody), she'll realise that he is still no less a suspect. Just because his fellow captive appears to be the main suspect, there's absolutely nothing to say Brody isn't involved. She'll be annoyed that she pushed Brody away after getting so close to him.

Also, if Brody isn't a player then there would be no need for him in the rest of the series, so he's either involved with the bad guys or he'll be drafted in to help nail them.

As for Saul, I don't suspect him at all. There were a couple of episodes that appeared to signpost Saul as a villain and I don't see Homeland being so obvious. Also, he obviously loves his wife and is more in to sorting his future with her than plotting some elaborate conspiracy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree this episode seemed far fetched and then I got interested when Carrie got the loaded gun but nothing came of it. I was hoping that she was trying to get info from him (as someone else said) but it just seemed to turn into some weird bonk a thon and slightly unwatchable, I'm not a prude but was that needed?

The summary for this week says Brody finds out some secret about his kidnapping so I wonder what that is? Also how do we know Aileen didn't lie when she said it wasn't Brody?
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Saul say the car journey was going to take at least 25 hours? Why would the FBI let him drive Aileen for that long without sleeping? (Or are we supposed to assume they had a break to sleep which wasn't shown?)
This discussion has been closed.