Options

Tesco discontinues value range...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    You were never meant to buy it anyway. They were only meant for store spot-the-***** competitons at the checkouts. Those repeatedly offending were ruthlessly removed by the security guard.
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Miles_T wrote: »
    Bloody snob :D they are all delicious you know, you're missing out!

Well thank you that is the first time I have been called that now all I need is someone to ask me for my ID and I will be made up for the rest of the year ;):D:D:D:D
  • Options
    lovemydogxlovemydogx Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Most Value stuff tastes like crap, but the odd thing is actually alright and I will buy it. I hope they don't hike the prices up too much.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Awww, that's sad.

At least there's still ASDA's Smart Price, Sainburys Basics and Waitrose Essentials... I can't remember what the yellow Morrisons ones are called.

I doubt Tesco are gonna do anything drastic with the price increases. There are a lot of competitor alternatives.

If all else fails, ALDI AND LIDL FOR IT!

I never seem to see anything cheap in morrisons, but to be honest i think they are all copying each other and taking us all for a ride.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I only buy the value food-stuffs if after reading the back of it it isn't filled with extra sugar, water, additives, colourings etc. than the normal products.

Hence, I rarely buy 'value'.

Same stands for low-fat products....that are usually filled with sugar! :D
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Meat,veg,eggs,cheese all bought locally off the farm I make my own bread. It is cleaning stuff and such like I get from tesco. We also use the farmers market and fresh fish van
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »

Most of us could do with eating only 75% of the calories we need, to be fair. I know it wouldn't hurt my figure.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »
    I never seem to see anything cheap in morrisons, but to be honest i think they are all copying each other and taking us all for a ride.

Morrisons used to do a yellow Value range, now they do a white Savers range, not sure how cheap it is in relation to other supermarkets though.

I would probably buy some of the food but dont think I could ever use the shampoo, conditioner, soap or toothpaste from any of these ranges especially the toothpaste.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a value range to help people who don't have a lot of money and who can't afford the more expensive stuff?

Is the removal of a value range really being sold to us as a good thing?
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    I never used to buy from the value ranges or lidls/aldi until I lost my job inbetween that happening and moving back home i survived on the value ranges. I could feed myself on jacket spuds with various toppings, some cheap meat cuts made into stews & stir fries etc and cheese and bacon for a week for about £15/£20 including Asdas 48p a jar coffee which i found i loved.
    All that actually sounds yummy! And for that little amount of money is very clever and resourceful.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been amused by the psychology behind the mostly plain white packaging on the value range. As if we're supposed to believe they're saving a huge amount of the production costs by printing the wrappers with hardly any coloured ink.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Morrisons used to do a yellow Value range, now they do a white Savers range, not sure how cheap it is in relation to other supermarkets though.

I would probably buy some of the food but dont think I could ever use the shampoo, conditioner, soap or toothpaste from any of these ranges especially the toothpaste.

Morrisons saver vegetables are brilliant, the only difference between them and other packs is that the size/shape can be irregular. Also value eggs are good - I only ever buy free range, and there are such strict rules with eggs that the value product cannot be inferior to the others, mostly it is that they are in cheaper packaging.

Lidl is very good for a lot of things, their olive oil is good, the only problem I have with them is that they don't stock much vegetarian stuff.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda Smart Price pickled onions are as good as the expensive ones. Their Smart Price tea bags are hideously rank though - like drinking **** ash.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of a value range to help people who don't have a lot of money and who can't afford the more expensive stuff?

Is the removal of a value range really being sold to us as a good thing?

Only to the snobs on here. It's ecologically sound not to waste the not-quite-perfect stuff too.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been amused by the psychology behind the mostly plain white packaging on the value range. As if we're supposed to believe they're saving a huge amount of the production costs by printing the wrappers with hardly any coloured ink.

It's more to embarrass the buyer. To be fair some of the value items aren't bad at all. Some notoriously bad though, like value toilet roll or washing up liquid with the consistency of water.

I remember reading the sales of value items has skyrocketed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well to be fair, they'd probably have to pay designers/branding companies, illustrators etc a lot more money if all the value ranges had intricate designs/illustrations/photographs on them, so I should imagine they do save money on that front.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    It's more to embarrass the buyer. To be fair some of the value items aren't bad at all. Some notoriously bad though, like value toilet roll or washing up liquid with the consistency of water.

I remember reading the sales of value items has skyrocketed.

Definately a false economy buying cheap loo roll/washing up liquid.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sainsbury's basics vegetable stock cubes are only 10p for a box of 10 and are as good as the equivalent (minus the price) from Knorr (IMO)
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knwo some people are hard up but I just do not know how they can eat that stuff.

From the Value Range I've tried the broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and the custard creams and they taste quite good. I acutally buy the veg every week. On the other hand, I can't bring myself to buy the Value baked beans, I have to stick with the Heinz brand on that one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I knwo some people are hard up but I just do not know how they can eat that stuff.

Some of it is actually rather good (peanut butter, chocolate spread, some of the breakfast cereals, most of their biscuits), some of it is the same stuff sold for higher prices (fruit and veg) and some of it is not very good at all (their beans are not very nice, but actually quite good if you squirt in some tomato puree :) )

Same as most of the other supermarket value ranges. You'll find stuff that is surprisingly good and comparable to the brands, and you;'ll find some of it isn't.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treble wrote: »
    Tesco will be discontinuing their value range. Replacing it with a more modern, better quality range...

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/tesco-ditches-1bn-value-range-101255907.html

New, better and possibly healthier food?

...Or simply a rebranding?

I place an online order with Tesco every week, and can honestly say they are cutting prices week after week, across the board.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Definately a false economy buying cheap loo roll/washing up liquid.

It depends.

I find Nicki toilet roll is actually very good, triple ply, quilted and lightly lotioned and fragranced and it's only a pound for 4 rolls in quid shops and the like. However, there are a lot of really crap (excuse the pun) cheapies out there too. Easy concentrated washing up liquid (two for a pound at most places) is decent too, lasts me as long as Fairy does and cleans just as well.

If you have a TJ Morris or Home Bargain Centre near you try their washing powder. Doesn't have a brand or anything, it's just labelled 2in1, but they have a money back guarantee that it cleans as well as the best selling brands or your money back, and I find it does clean just as well too.

I would say try some of the cheaper stuff. You'll find some are good, and some are as crap as you think they are. But if you find good alternatives to the expensive brands, buy them again in future and save yourself some cash.
  • Options
    SchnableSchnable Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is Lidl going to get a premium range? :D
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends.

I find Nicki toilet roll is actually very good, triple ply, quilted and lightly lotioned and fragranced and it's only a pound for 4 rolls in quid shops and the like. However, there are a lot of really crap (excuse the pun) cheapies out there too. Easy concentrated washing up liquid (two for a pound at most places) is decent too, lasts me as long as Fairy does and cleans just as well.

If you have a TJ Morris or Home Bargain Centre near you try their washing powder. Doesn't have a brand or anything, it's just labelled 2in1, but they have a money back guarantee that it cleans as well as the best selling brands or your money back, and I find it does clean just as well too.

I would say try some of the cheaper stuff. You'll find some are good, and some are as crap as you think they are. But if you find good alternatives to the expensive brands, buy them again in future and save yourself some cash.

I think that brand of toilet paper's a bargain. Although, I've noticed that it's gone up to £1.09 at my local Home Bargains now, but still good value. I think it's just a case of shopping around more and finding what's good value for your money and what isn't with regards to low priced products. Then enjoy the money saved.