Options

ITV1's Titanic discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17650525

Titanic records on the ancestry.co.uk subscription site, but free to access until end of May.
  • Options
    SandyHSandyH Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    goldielox wrote: »
    Three episodes in and I still couldn't give a fig about ANY of the characters. The only good part about it all has been this thread and the only reason why I'm sticking it out till the bitter end.

I'm the same.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    The BBC have a reporter enjoying the cruise which is presently following the journey Titanic took (nice work if you can get it) and he spoke to a lady whose relatives sailed in Titanic from Southampton to Ireland and then disembarked. Their photos were very interesting and they famously took the last ever pic of the ship as it sailed from the Irish port.

There is also the famous Irish priest Father Browne, who was a very keen amateur photographer who sailed from Southampton and disembarked at Queenstown in Ireland.

He took many photos on the Titanic which you can see at :

www.titanicphotographs.com
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently watching Titanic: The aftermath that I recorded last night. Got so much Titanic stuff on my Sky planner that it'll keep me occupied for a while :)
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    For those that missed it the first time, this teaser appeared a while ago which seems to be for Episode Four.

But it does seem to reveal some of who lives and who dies, so be warned if you don't intend to know beforehand. Not only that, it resolves some of the 'cliffhangers.'

So who knows where it came from..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Kxz6tNttA
    I spy Paolo somehow getting his brother and the Italian waiters out of the broom closet and the two of them jumping together. I also spy Annie crying over someone in the water.

Damn!

Not Paolo and his cheeky smile! *shakes fist at JF* :(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    There is also the famous Irish priest Father Browne, who was a very keen amateur photographer who sailed from Southampton and disembarked at Queenstown in Ireland.

He took many photos on the Titanic which you can see at :

www.titanicphotographs.com

Some of those I've not seen before! Awesome website :)
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    For those that missed it the first time, this teaser appeared a while ago which seems to be for Episode Four.

But it does seem to reveal some of who lives and who dies, so be warned if you don't intend to know beforehand. Not only that, it resolves some of the 'cliffhangers.'

So who knows where it came from..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Kxz6tNttA
    There's a split-second bit around 0.12-18 of that clip where someone clinging to what seems to be an upturned lifeboat is looking at the Titanic going down.... it looks as if it's a cardboard cut-out with two men on the other side simulating the movement lol. :D
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    There's a split-second bit around 0.12-18 of that clip where someone clinging to what seems to be an upturned lifeboat is looking at the Titanic going down.... it looks as if it's a cardboard cut-out with two men on the other side simulating the movement lol. :D
    Lmao! :D:D:D
  • Options
    sp2011sp2011 Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Haha :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Like children replaying a trauma, we are drawn to the perfect drama of the loss of the great 20th-century cruise liner"

Guardian blog http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/apr/09/why-titanic-always-sinks

Scotsman blog about the Titanic movies
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/titanic-anniversary-the-best-and-worst-of-the-films-about-the-disaster-1-2224706
  • Options
    BIDIE-INBIDIE-IN Posts: 1,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sp2011 wrote: »
    Haha :D

That trailer makes the series look as though it is worth watching. It does not warn potential viewers that prior to filming the script was thrown up in the air and filmed in the order that the pages landed. :mad:

I mean, WHAT is the point - other than filling time - of filming the same scene from different camera angles and then showing it twice? None of the exchanges between the characters have been worth seeing ONCE, let alone from a different stand point.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well spotted, Myss. It took me a few views to spot him, but yeah, you see some guy moving the cardboard cut-out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last episode of Titanic with Len Goodman is tonight @ 6.30, not next Friday.

For those who missed it - me included :o - it's repeated Sunday ~6pm.

And Ch4 is repeating the Why Ships Sink later tonight
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    I spy Paolo somehow getting his brother and the Italian waiters out of the broom closet and the two of them jumping together. I also spy Annie crying over someone in the water.

Damn!

Not Paolo and his cheeky smile! *shakes fist at JF* :(
    Well it looks almost certain therefore that the following die:

Linus Roache's character - the Earl of Manton

Maria Doyle Kennedy's character (is it written into her contract that every character she ever plays must die) - Mrs Batley and

probably Paolo (but not definitely as Annie could kiss him and he lives?) - it would seem odd to kill him off and surely their reunion would be a positive note to end on?

Presumably Mr Batley lives - surely better to kill him off with his wife as there is no happy ending there at all!

Seems like Fellowes is killing off the wrong people - you need some sort of upbeat element to end it all!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those I've not seen before! Awesome website :)

The "At sea" photos are the most fascinating. The weather between Southampton and Queenstown appears to have been cold and overcast as everyone on deck is dressed in heavy overcoats. It's incredible to actually see so many photos from aboard the Titanic on it's only ever voyage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice montage of audio & photos by the Beeb
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17608126
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the thirs EP yesterday and I think it has got better. I still dont care about any characters but I will stick with it to find our who dies and who lives. Im hoping the last EP will be the best....
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIDIE-IN wrote: »
    The BBC have a reporter enjoying the cruise which is presently following the journey Titanic took (nice work if you can get it) and he spoke to a lady whose relatives sailed in Titanic from Southampton to Ireland and then disembarked. Their photos were very interesting and they famously took the last ever pic of the ship as it sailed from the Irish port.

As far as i was concerned i believed this Irish priest famously took the last picture of the Titanic as it left Cobh (Queenstown) there is a whole book of his photos and other famous photos he took.:)
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as i was concerned i believed this Irish priest famously took the last picture of the Titanic as it left Cobh (Queenstown) there is a whole book of his photos and other famous photos he took.:)

It's not on his website http://www.titanicphotographs.com/ . I saw the BBC news report too, definitely looks like it was in her collection.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    There's a little article here about the last known photograph of the Titanic:

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-the-last-photograph.html
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noiseboy wrote: »
    It's not on his website http://www.titanicphotographs.com/ . I saw the BBC news report too, definitely looks like it was in her collection.

Yes it is hit on the cobh section its the picture of it from a distance and men in a small boat in the forground.:)
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice montage of audio & photos by the Beeb
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17608126

The opening picture of the newsboy is one of the iconic images of the aftermath. Sadly that young lad's life was to be cut short too.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, its the scale part of the show that for me makes it all realistic. The ship was 2 football pitches long, and yet the dining room looks as though about 8 people could sit there at a time. And when they race on to deck, why do we only see about 30 odd people milling around. There were thousands of people on board and trying to get around the deck must have been hard, and yet its empty.

But finally, on the last show it showed the maid and her italian beau running from one side of the ship to the other in order to get on the lifeboat ... and they managed it in about 3 strides.

Edited to say, and when the lady was on deck sneaking a sneaky snog with the 'bit of rough' her hair was barely moving and she looked quite warm. In reality it must have been blummin freezing on deck and not somewhere you would want to linger. And surely there must have been some wind up there, that high above the sea level on a moving vessel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Wow this time 100 years ago Titanic left Southampton on her maiden voyage. So sad

You could probably see episode 4 before it's transmission on Sunday if you order the DVD/Blu-ray by tomorrow on Play.com, they dispatch so you get your item usually on the Saturday before release.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    As others have said, its the scale part of the show that for me makes it all realistic. The ship was 2 football pitches long, and yet the dining room looks as though about 8 people could sit there at a time. And when they race on to deck, why do we only see about 30 odd people milling around. There were thousands of people on board and trying to get around the deck must have been hard, and yet its empty.

But finally, on the last show it showed the maid and her italian beau running from one side of the ship to the other in order to get on the lifeboat ... and they managed it in about 3 strides.

Edited to say, and when the lady was on deck sneaking a sneaky snog with the 'bit of rough' her hair was barely moving and she looked quite warm. In reality it must have been blummin freezing on deck and not somewhere you would want to linger. And surely there must have been some wind up there, that high above the sea level on a moving vessel.

Absolutely, Even if everything else was brilliant, I do not see how you can make a show about Titanic without a sense of 'bigness.' Looked to me like they were all out on a pleasure steamer going to the Isle of Wight.