Options

The Syndicate - new drama coming to BBC One

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what was said I agree, but it the manner in which the solicitor son said it (and other things) ("Just give them your card....") which made me think that old Bob was going to have to pay for everything for the family - the rooms etc plus the solicitor's wife's massages, facials etc and plus the drinks and food for the whole party. I agree I thought the others had already paid for their rooms.

Just shows how into this series I've got, that I'm reading into it my own agenda re: the two sons. :D
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they said not to worry because it was just for any extras. Which I assumed meant for the immediate family but the others had already paid for rooms, venue and the party.

for the, er, "adult viewing", perhaps?? :D
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They never said how much he gave to wife No 1, or the boys.

he needs to live 7 years, or there will be some IHT to pay.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great episode again.

Timothy Spall is such a great actor. Love his work since Barry in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

This show is very good in the sense that the cast is not too big, so it's very easy to follow. :)
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Another fantastic episode. Can't wait to see Stuart and Leanne have a cheeky kiss and find out leannes story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I'm also enjoying this series, however if they are sharing £18m between 5, so under £4m each, they are going to run out fast! The house that the brother and his girlfriend bought must have been at least £2m (although I don't know about house prices up north!). Last week Denise gave £1m to the dog's home, and it sounds like Bob's had to shell out a big chunk of his money too. I think with a concept like this one it's important as a viewer to give in to artistic licence, but somethings are a bit unrealistic...
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I'm also enjoying this series, however if they are sharing £18m between 5, so under £4m each, they are going to run out fast! The house that the brother and his girlfriend bought must have been at least £2m (although I don't know about house prices up north!). Last week Denise gave £1m to the dog's home, and it sounds like Bob's had to shell out a big chunk of his money too. I think with a concept like this one it's important as a viewer to give in to artistic licence, but somethings are a bit unrealistic...

I think the whole point is that most of them will run through the money quickly, with some of them doing good things with it and others finding that money does not lead to happiness.

Many winners have end up the same in real life, so I find it quite realistic.
  • Options
    Marveille2011Marveille2011 Posts: 227
    Forum Member

Maybe by episode 5, they are all broke again :D

Stuart's new home cost £1,100,000 but they are having work done so that will add to the cost. Then he said he bought a £20,000 engagement ring for his girlfriend.

Didn't Denise donate £1,000,000 and then say she put the rest of the money in her mum's bank account :eek:

Jamie might go to jail so he might not get to enjoy the money.

I think Leanne's daughter is kidnapped, so she might have to pay a ransom, unless it is her daughter's father just wanting visiting rights.

Then Bob giving money to his ex-wife, two sons etc.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I can't wait to find out Leannes back story, the next episode looks good.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Week on week this prog is getting better and I'm loving it!:)Just watched it on Iplayer.

I thought the dimmed lights in Bob's house and his quiet words were just right for such a scene. Thought Stuart was going to pass out, he was puffing on his inhaler that much.

The solicitor son (Peter?) is a right creep and also his wife. They were looking down their noses at Bob when he was asking if there would be a loo in his room and when he was trying the sherry. Then the wife said she was going to have "some serious pampering" (presumably the "extras" mentioned on Bob's credit card.)

I feel that Bob is going to discover something unpleasant about Peter & his wife and stops that cheque.

I have to admit I was tearful when Bob proposed and thought that scene was excellent.

Roll on next week.:)That Mr Shapiro had better fix Bob's brain tumour or he'll have me to answer to.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Week on week this prog is getting better and I'm loving it!:)Just watched it on Iplayer.

I thought the dimmed lights in Bob's house and his quiet words were just right for such a scene. Thought Stuart was going to pass out, he was puffing on his inhaler that much.

The solicitor son (Peter?) is a right creep and also his wife. They were looking down their noses at Bob when he was asking if there would be a loo in his room and when he was trying the sherry. Then the wife said she was going to have "some serious pampering" (presumably the "extras" mentioned on Bob's credit card.)

I feel that Bob is going to discover something unpleasant about Peter & his wife and stops that cheque.

I have to admit I was tearful when Bob proposed and thought that scene was excellent.

Roll on next week.:)That Mr Shapiro had better fix Bob's brain tumour or he'll have me to answer to.;)

That's exactly how I feel. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Spot on with everything, especially the last sentence. :)

I wonder if there will be a second series of this? I have no idea how it is doing ratings wise.
  • Options
    highnalhighnal Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there will be a second series of this? I have no idea how it is doing ratings wise.

Ep 1: 5.9m
    Ep 2: 5.4m
    Ep 3: 5.4m

Holding steady in the mid 5mils which is decent for a Tuesday night drama I guess.

No idea how they'll manage to stretch the premise to a second series though. Seems like there's only enough material for a one-off 5 parter to me.

I'll be sad when it ends as it's shaping up to be a cracking drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    highnal wrote: »
    Ep 1: 5.9m
    Ep 2: 5.4m
    Ep 3: 5.4m

Holding steady in the mid 5mils which is decent for a Tuesday night drama I guess.

No idea how they'll manage to stretch the premise to a second series though. Seems like there's only enough material for a one-off 5 parter to me.

I'll be sad when it ends as it's shaping up to be a cracking drama.

Thank you highnal. :)

I guess you're right about continuing after this series finishes.

Shame really, as I am really enjoying this. :)
  • Options
    lovemydogxlovemydogx Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Last nights episode made me cry..I'm really enjoying this series so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesdays episode was fantastic. I cried about 3 times. My uncles best mate got diagnosed with a tumor last week, and died on Monday, just five days after he was diagnosed. So this episode touched me, really really good, i hope Bob survives.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had the series worked out from the first week it was that predictable.. but it is better than predictable..it is utterly brilliant.. last night gave me goosebumps.. the bbc at it's very best.. it deserves a quick repeat for people who missed out on the first run..
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Tuesdays episode was fantastic. I cried about 3 times. My uncles best mate got diagnosed with a tumor last week, and died on Monday, just five days after he was diagnosed. So this episode touched me, really really good, i hope Bob survives.

Me too and I'm sorry to hear about your uncle's friend. My aunt's just been diagnosed with a tumour. They seem to have caught it early

I thought the scene in the rain was quite touching. Even if I did think he'll catch his death prematurely from cold!
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a fantastic series Just watched the last episode with Bob story, good job the tissues were not far away lol
    What great acting as usual from Timothy Spall

I think your all right about some of them ending up broke (with the exception of Leanne who doesn't look like she has spent much and Denise)
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a terrific programme isn't it? I'm finding it a lot darker and more dramatic than I expected it to be. I initially thought it was going to be a comedy drama along the lines of Stella or Mount Pleasant (both of which I really enjoy) but it's proving more complex than that.

Anybody got any idea what Leanne's big secret is? The Radio Times are hinting that it's nothing like what we would all think. I think most people would assume she's on the run from an abusive ex partner but we might be surprised.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a terrific programme isn't it? I'm finding it a lot darker and more dramatic than I expected it to be. I initially thought it was going to be a comedy drama along the lines of Stella or Mount Pleasant (both of which I really enjoy) but it's proving more complex than that.

Anybody got any idea what Leanne's big secret is? The Radio Times are hinting that it's nothing like what we would all think. I think most people would assume she's on the run from an abusive ex partner but we might be surprised.

I think Leanne may not be the victim as we assume, maybe she has committed a crime and is trying to keep her head down.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm absolutely loving this series, it's got better every episode. Cannot wait to find what Leanne's secret is. Joanna Page said it was the only reason she took the part - so much be good. :)
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Leanne may not be the victim as we assume, maybe she has committed a crime and is trying to keep her head down.

That sounds intriguing. I wondered if perhaps her "daughter" wasn't rightfully hers and that was why she was on the run.
  • Options
    strangerstillstrangerstill Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Loving this series. One thing niggled me, wouldn't it be enough to just send Bobs medical files to S.A. to see if the operation were viable?
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just love this programme. Timothy is one of the best actors on television IMO. There is not one programme i have watched with him in, that I didn't like.

It's had me gripped from the start and I usually record the show to catch up when there is nothing else on. I only just managed to watch it last night. What a corker it was too, very powerful stuff. I know it's only a show but I hope his treatment is successful, winning all that cash after working all his life they getting this!
    Thought it was lovely the way he went to see his ex wife to talk somethings over and to give her a cheque, that was nice.
    Didn't see the proposal coming at all, lovely touch.
    Only three so far but I'm hungry for more, it's that good.
    I too am wondering what Leanne is fearful of, could it be witness protection or maybe she doesn't want her childs father having contact with her daughter.
    The more I see of the greedy, nasty girlfriend who is buying up all she can, I just want to slap her. I hope he dumps her and throws her out of the house, she is just driven by greed.
    The good thing about taping the show and not watching for a few days is you don't have to wait long for the next episode:)