Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ddj wrote: »
    First of all you said you found 'it' (Derek) uncomfortable, read above, so I responded to that. Secondly don't fling the whole cliche of being PC against me into this to trivualise what I said. Being PC or not has nothing to do with it. My point was that you shouldn't feel uncomfortable watching a programme with learning disabled characters. Next time make yourself clearer before you accuse me of self-righteousness. It could save you from needing to puke.

I actually had no clue the character of Derek was supposed to be 'disabled' I thought he was a bit slow (sorry is there a more pc word for that now???) but certainly not disabled by any means so does that make me discrimitory or you who clearly thinks the character has a disability which we should tip toe around?

Sorry I didn't explain myself to you properly next time I'll make sure I set out everything very clearly for those who like to nit pick.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    I thought there was far more to the headbutt moment than a simply explained moment.

For me, it was much deeper - like a symbolic headbutt to the ignorance of some people - and the fact that a lot of us tend to turn a blind eye to the sniggering and ignorance, when in fact we should be speaking out against it.

Yes, exactly - she should have explained to them why they were wrong, instead of headbutting one of them, which put her completely in the wrong!
  • Options
    ddjddj Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »
    I actually had no clue the character of Derek was supposed to be 'disabled' I thought he was a bit slow (sorry is there a more pc word for that now???) but certainly not disabled by any means so does that make me discrimitory or you who clearly thinks the character has a disability which we should tip toe around?

Sorry I didn't explain myself to you properly next time I'll make sure I set out everything very clearly for those who like to nit pick.

Good starting point for you.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enyoyed that despite comments made ahead of the broadcast. It was tactfully done with Derek being not just sympathetic to the plight of the old but also being likeable himself.
  • Options
    CaseyKleinCaseyKlein Posts: 3,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can anybody tell me where ricky played the derek character before? im sure it was a few years ago but cant think what programme it was on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good starting point for you.

And very good avoidance of a rather important question of judgement from you. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First of all you said you found 'it' (Derek) uncomfortable, read above, so I responded to that. Secondly don't fling the whole cliche of being PC against me into this to trivialise what I said. Being PC or not has nothing to do with it. My point was that you shouldn't feel uncomfortable watching a programme with learning disabled characters. Next time make yourself clearer before you accuse me of self-righteousness. It could save you from needing to puke.
    And very good avoidance of a rather important question of judgement from you. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't be bothered really but read the above in particular that in bold again. If you don't make your point clear in the first place which you hadn't then don't get upset when a judgement is made based on what you had actually said..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shouldn't be bothered really but read the above in particular that in bold again. If you don't make your point clear in the first place which you hadn't then don't get upset when a judgement is made based on what you had actually said..

Dur the question was not about that (and I fyi don't do 'upset' from key board PC freaks). The question was about your insistance that the character is disabled when in fact he is merely slightly mared by learning disabilities. So who is the judgemental discrimitory one? Me who doesn't like Ricky G and finds him 'uncomfortable' or you who thinks the character is disabled and deserves special treatment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dur the question was not about that (and I fyi don't do 'upset' from key board PC freaks). The question was about your insistance that the character is disabled when in fact he is merely slightly mared by learning disabilities. So who is the judgemental discrimitory one? Me who doesn't like Ricky G and finds him 'uncomfortable' or you who thinks the character is disabled and deserves special treatment?

I think you're a Troll. Also, you either don't understand the issues or are deliberately twisting my words. I'm no longer replying to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're a Troll. Also, you either don't understand the issues or are deliberately twisting my words. I'm no longer replying to you.

Very good, yes the old 'you must be a troll' if you question my thinking defence. Okay bye then. :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good, yes the old 'you must be a troll' if you question my thinking defence. Okay bye then. :yawn:

As above.
  • Options
    Queen__BeaQueen__Bea Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find it very funny as such, a couple of wry smiles, but overall I found it very touching.

It was brave of Ricky to introduce such a vulnerable character, very unusual on our TV screens.

I remember back in the early 80s when Joey Deacon came on to Blue Peter. It was marvellous for children then to be introduced to someone "different" from them. Well done to the team behind "Derek".
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A comment I read on the Guardian website summed up my thoughts on this programme ... if Derek had been written by Alan Bennet it would win a BAFTA.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Derek had been written by Alan Bennett, maybe it would have been good.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It was 25 minutes long, the first 15 minutes weren't that good, the last 10 were, I don't think that's worthy of an award really.
  • Options
    GravitasGravitas Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    A comment I read on the Guardian website summed up my thoughts on this programme ... if Derek had been written by Alan Bennet it would win a BAFTA.

Good line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    If Derek had been written by Alan Bennett, maybe it would have been good.

Bad line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    It was 25 minutes long, the first 15 minutes weren't that good, the last 10 were, I don't think that's worthy of an award really.

In less than half an hour he managed to introduce a whole cast of new characters who we could understand and empathise with. That's not a simple task.

The last 10 minutes could not have been good if he hadn't done the ground work in the first 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    bellabella wrote: »
    Doesn't Gervais write good parts for women though??
    This is very very true.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching it and I loved it.

For the first few minutes, all I could see was Ricky Gervais pulling a funny face and shuffling about. But that soon passed and before long I was watching it for the 'comedy drama' it was.

No real laugh out loud moments but I suspect it's not supposed to be that sort of comedy. Plenty of smiles though... until the end, when I burst into tears! :o

Very touching, well acted and I hope Channel 4 will commission more.
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the funny thing is that when this happens, after many years of world-wide success making him a multi-millionaire, when that has gone away and he has to resort to appearing on poorly produced, low-rated lowest common denominator television programmes, """his life will still be 1000 times more successful than yours"""".

aint that a nice thing to say :rolleyes:

same tale with same character types but different topic.it's what he does and seems to repeat.never been as good as his xfm radio shows :D
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queen__Bea wrote: »
    I didn't find it very funny as such, a couple of wry smiles, but overall I found it very touching.

It was brave of Ricky to introduce such a vulnerable character, very unusual on our TV screens.

I remember back in the early 80s when Joey Deacon came on to Blue Peter. It was marvellous for children then to be introduced to someone "different" from them. Well done to the team behind "Derek".

it's reminds me a bit of an 80's play for today,i think , about a man called Horace who lived with his elderly mum.anyone remember it ?
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know if this going to be repeated anytime soon?

Ta:)
  • Options
    LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gervais.
    You have now been exposed as the unfunniest person to be foisted on the viewing public.
    And to think you've got away with it for years.
    No longer, I think.
    I doubt whether I've seen a more distasteful and offensive programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of enjoyed it but was also slightly dissapointed. I felt a bit patronised, like Gervais was trying too hard to "move" me. Lines like "I'm not good looking or clever but I am kind, kind is magic" were just too much. Let us discover for ourselves instead of spelling it out! There wasn't the subtlety that Gervais did so well in The Office. There were some sweet moments but it just didn't touch me in the way Gervais intended. The comedy aspect wasn't great either, falling in a pond and then running naked through an old peoples home?? :sleep:

I agree with what others have said about it being better without Gervais playing Derick. I just see David Brent doing his Frank Spencer impression!!

However... It's better than the vast majorty of stuff on the tele right now so I'll be watching again. As a massive fan of The Office I just had higher expectations.