Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I always thought Ricky was an excellent dramatic actor when, as David Brent, he begged for his job back in The Office.

YES, now that moved me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I kind of enjoyed it but was also slightly dissapointed. I felt a bit patronised, like Gervais was trying too hard to "move" me. Lines like "I'm not good looking or clever but I am kind, kind is magic" were just too much. Let us discover for ourselves instead of spelling it out! There wasn't the subtlety that Gervais did so well in The Office. There were some sweet moments but it just didn't touch me in the way Gervais intended. The comedy aspect wasn't great either, falling in a pond and then running naked through an old peoples home?? :sleep:

I agree with what others have said about it being better without Gervais playing Derick. I just see David Brent doing his Frank Spencer impression!!

However... It's better than the vast majorty of stuff on the tele right now so I'll be watching again. As a massive fan of The Office I just had higher expectations.
    I completely agree. I didn't find it moving either for the same reasons. It was too forced imo and not helped by Gervais playing the character. I think a comedy drama such as this needs more subtlety in the writing/comedy and acting than a sitcom to be really effective but plenty of people seemed to have liked it. Maybe if there's a series it will be better.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it - fully expected to hate it. Rather enjoyed it. I could do without the farce though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was o.k apart from Ricky's gurning.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lysandar wrote: »
    Thanks Gervais.
    You have now been exposed as the unfunniest person to be foisted on the viewing public.
    And to think you've got away with it for years.
    No longer, I think.

I've got bad news for you. Quite a lot of us enjoyed it so I'm guessing he'll continue to be successfull for many more years to come.
    Lysandar wrote: »
    I doubt whether I've seen a more distasteful and offensive programme.

Distasteful and offensive? That just proves you watched it with pre-defined blinkers on.

Some liked it (myself included), some didn't - fair enough, we all have different tastes - but anyone who still thinks it was distasteful and offensive after seeing it must be incapable of rational thought.

It clearly set out to show the main character in a positive light - rather than mocking Derek the programme made him compassionate, caring and good hearted - a thoroughly likeable and sympathetic character.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Yes, exactly - she should have explained to them why they were wrong, instead of headbutting one of them, which put her completely in the wrong!

Yes, the head butting incident was strangely simplistic. For all she knew, that girl might also have learning disabilities. That was just one example of the knee-jerk reactions the programme seemed to try to provoke. Having said that, I think it's too early to say whether it will work or not.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was o.k apart from Ricky's gurning.

Most of the Gervais fans on this thread mistook that for acting :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the Gervais fans on this thread mistook that for acting :rolleyes:

So people have a different opinion to yours and you dismiss them as 'Gervais fans' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Jazzman wrote: »
    So people have a different opinion to yours and you dismiss them as 'Gervais fans' :rolleyes:

I've met him...he's a nice guy and I consider The Office to be in the top 5 comedy shows ever produced in this country. But....honestly :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched it and quite enjoyed it. Gentle, sweet etc. I didn't find the custard joke funny - it was too obvious. The rodent + piano scenario (the fact that he got so much pleasure from a silly YouTube clip) and the pond joke had me chuckling.

However, for me, it was a drama rather than a comedy drama. I found the poignant parts more poignant than the comedy parts funny. I enjoyed it as a drama, and the silly physical attributes didn't bother me at all (I thought they would).

I didn't think Life's Too Short was a disaster, but it was a disappointment. Derek, I felt, was a notch up in standard. I can understand, though, why for some it didn't appeal at all, especially if they were expecting a comedy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met him...he's a nice guy and I consider The Office to be in the top 5 comedy shows ever produced in this country. But....honestly :rolleyes:

Me too. He's polite, charming, caring etc. in real life. It's such a shame that his arrogance seems to win over for many people.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Honestly what? It was enjoyed by people on this thread that don't even like the guy, which proves your point wrong.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I oved it. I cried and I laughed and sometimes a bit of both. It was gentle and it was a reminder that there are lovely , kind gentle people about. .It was perfect for me.:)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there gonna be a series?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never watch anything that he is involved with.

I think he is an ugly, arrogant slimeball who is the least funny person in the Universe.
  • Options
    maxingtonmaxington Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Jeanie wrote: »
    I thought there was far more to the headbutt moment than a simply explained moment.

For me, it was much deeper - like a symbolic headbutt to the ignorance of some people - and the fact that a lot of us tend to turn a blind eye to the sniggering and ignorance, when in fact we should be speaking out against it.

Spot on. Not everyone's gonna get into it, of course! And if you're not, I'm sure it seems like "Oooh, Gervais wrote a headbutt scene! How unoriginal is that!". Ditto the slapstick stuff. That sort of context is difficult to create in a sub-half-hour pilot, but it was managed here.

Seems to me from some of the above comments that sometimes, people have two 'strawman' expectations of Gervais' writing - (1) to be funny all the time and (2) to be realistic due to the faux-documentary style. Well... he has done neither here. Instead he's just made a very high quality 24 mins (or however long) of telly. With a few laughs in there too. I think it's a great new direction.

To those who criticised in the latter way ("yeah, but it wouldn't happen like that in real life!"): why does it need to be totally realistic to be enjoyable? Because of the 'mockumentary' style?? I really don't understand it.

(P.S. Sorry Jeanie for going off on a tangent, I agree with all you said!!)

And as a poster suggested above, if we had all never heard of Gervais (or if he'd not appeared bar the credits/publicity), this programme would have gone down a whole lot better. And despite all that (and the recent twitter controversy), this has gone down extremely well. I'm not the first to say it, but well done here, Gervais, however unexpected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

I think he is an ugly, arrogant slimeball who is the least funny person in the Universe.

How can you say he's 'the least funny person in the Universe' if, by your own admission, you would never watch anything he was involved in?

To have such a fixed opinion, you must have watched him... unless you're being disingenuous.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
    I thought Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No. 1 was a good choice of music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ria Vega wrote: »
    How can you say he's 'the least funny person in the Universe' if, by your own admission, you would never watch anything he was involved in?

Don't Feed The Troll!

Anyone want a biscuit by the way, changing the subject? I have both Rich Tea and Dark Chocolate Hob-Nobs. Also I watched that latest Ricky Gervais thing on TV the other day........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Dark Chocolate Hob-Nobs

Ooooh, yes please. It'll go well with my bottle of Coors. I'm so sophisticated.:)
  • Options
    scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 9yr old and I watched this,enjoyed it and were both crying when the old lady passed on and derek wanted to say goodbye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is there gonna be a series?

According to recent twitter/interviews, it is a strong possibility. Seems he may be writing it as we speak (perhaps literally!)...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ria Vega wrote: »
    Ooooh, yes please. It'll go well with my bottle of Coors. I'm so sophisticated.:)

Here you go...
    *passes hob-nob*

Goes quite well with my sophisicated can of 1664 too. Cheers!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Yes, the head butting incident was strangely simplistic. For all she knew, that girl might also have learning disabilities. That was just one example of the knee-jerk reactions the programme seemed to try to provoke. Having said that, I think it's too early to say whether it will work or not.

I think the head butting incident was the most interesting moment! It took me by surprise, and made me think theres more to this character (what was the womans name again?) than just the "nice" girl who works in a care home. She's obviously a bit of a recluse, perhaps this sort of "knee-jerk" behaviour is the reason why?

I found her far more interesting than Derick! I'll be interested to see how her character develops. I suspect we might discover she's more of a social mis-fit than Derick!
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

what a great contribution :rolleyes: