Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (part 3)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Freeview EPG showing that its quali with 5live commentary on 301 but it's the driver tracker instead.

Naff
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adder wrote: »
    I suspect a live feed is not being offered as Silverstone is stand alone from the normal Euro F3/International GT Package. It was produced by a different company to the rest of the season last year (Hayfisher?).
    Motors TV are showing this weekends racing next weekend because they think bikes are great.

The Bol'dor takes priority for them, and about six people in France probably agree with their prioritisation.

Everyone else, well I'm sure we're already clamouring for Motors TV 2

(It SHOULLDDD be live on the F2 website though...shouldn't it? :confused: )

Adder is correct: F2 is too cheap to pay for TV coverage of its own, so unless it is piggybacking on someone else's coverage it won't be live.

That's why Motors is showing it on a seven day delay, rathet than a few hours.
  • Options
    Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    No big deal they have recorded interviews, the point is we were obviously meant to believe it was a live part of their stroll down the pit....a bit norty really, but also a clever bit of stiching.

For me the main impression flicking between both channels is just how similar the content is, really very slim differences to quibble over.

Pretty big backhanded compliment - not only did Sky poach so many of the BBC TV and 5 Live teams (both in front and behind the camera/microphone), but have shamlessly ripped off the format that BBC developed (one that ITV began, but BBC took up and brought to new heights).

Hope BBC haven't adopted a "no Martin Brundle commentary rule", but I expect they have - it doesn't matter if we hear his voice on any archive footage from 09-11!
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    bbc online pitfeed has the wrong audio feed, amateur hour from someone
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha who were the names on that graphic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbc online pitfeed has the wrong audio feed, amateur hour from someone

Seems okay now on red button, although they need to move the blue "MENU" button (which you can't make disappear) as it obscures the graphic telling you which team radio you are listening to!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only really watched Quali on Sky this weekend but the Chinese drumming idents thingummy is really tediously annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    I've only really watched Quali on Sky this weekend but the Chinese drumming idents thingummy is really tediously annoying.

Watching on BBC right now, but saw these on "The F1 Show" last night. I know, what are those about?! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha who were the names on that graphic?

Apparently FOM failed to update the names set from the Porsche Supercup session!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS!

Does Gary Anderson and his cameraman/producer/handler not have a Fanvision unit so that he SHUTS UP during team radio?
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can understand Gary better during this session, he needs a monitor (or to use the monitor) so he stops talking when the team radio graphic appears.
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basing coverage on a DOG... :rolleyes:

When there is so little between the coverage, it has to come down to something. I just wish GA would shut up during Team Radio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not coverage related but what a fantastically interesting front two rows. Perhaps some stats buff can identify the last time there was a starting grid that had no Red Bulls, Mclarens or Ferraris on the front two rows.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,412
    Forum Member
    Ant goes on about how we should keep an eye on the lap-delta to see where Nico gained time, However they switch to a wide shot so we can't actually see the lap delta :rolleyes:

For an OnBoard lap like this there's no need to show us the wide shot unless Ant is specifically pointing something out.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,412
    Forum Member
    BBC's post session coverage miles better than Sky's again.
  • Options
    gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no adverts on Sky when live coverage Head-to-head with BBC
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not coverage related but what a fantastically interesting front two rows. Perhaps some stats buff can identify the last time there was a starting grid that had no Red Bulls, Mclarens or Ferraris on the front two rows.

Malaysia 2009? Maybe? Seb qualified 3rd but had a penalty and started 13th
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    *Drools* They have to have to be the pork pies with pickle on them ;)

/notofftopicoranything

That's exactly what they were :) ... 4pack for a pound
  • Options
    Forum Member

2009 Belgian gp?

1. Fisichella (Force India)
    2. Trulli (Toyota)
    3. Heidfeld (BMW Sauber)
    4. Barrichello (Brawn)

But yeah amazing grid for tomorrow, I think you can honestly say anyone in the top 11 can win.
  • Options
    F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Sky going uninterrupted from 7am isn't just an attempt at one-upmanship when the BBC are live, same goes for the 30 minutes of extra post-race coverage. If they were serious about producing their best possible coverage these two changes should be for every race.

Sky were abrupt in ending their qualifying show again with Simon asking MB and JH if they think Mercedes can win tomorrow but cut Johnny off before he even answered. They really need to have some flexibility in their ad/finish times. All in all I think the BBC have once again produced the better post-session coverage.
    OnBoard, Driver Tracker & Pit Lane feed avaliable on BBC via the Red Button.
    I wonder if we would have got all these feeds if it weren't for Sky forcing the BBC's hand somewhat (page 4 of the timing screen was on the BBC website too). Ben Edwards, 16:9 graphics and the onboard feed for qualifying; 3 things that have come 3 years too late from the BBC IMHO.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,102
    Forum Member
    F1-Addict wrote: »
    Sky were abrupt in ending their qualifying show again with Simon asking MB and JH if they think Mercedes can win tomorrow but cut Johnny off before he even answered. They really need to have some flexibility in their ad/finish times.

Agreed, can't understand why with an 8.45am finish they finished at about 8.38am (not the first time they've finished 7 or 8 minutes early either). 3-4mins I can understand, as that's the norm on alot of channels, to get in a few mins of ads before the next programme starts, but 7-8mins early?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richo2006 wrote: »
    Pretty big backhanded compliment - not only did Sky poach so many of the BBC TV and 5 Live teams (both in front and behind the camera/microphone), but have shamlessly ripped off the format that BBC developed (one that ITV began, but BBC took up and brought to new heights).

Hope BBC haven't adopted a "no Martin Brundle commentary rule", but I expect they have - it doesn't matter if we hear his voice on any archive footage from 09-11!

"Shamelessly ripped off the format"? They haven't ripped off the format at all, I'm sure RTL and plenty of other broadcasters' use a similar format! There's no other real format to use, to be honest. It's gone as far as it has done, to be honest.
    BBC's post session coverage miles better than Sky's again.

I watched Sky and I thought their coverage was really good. I assume you've got BBC on one TV and Sky on another TV stef.

I didn't once feel the need to turn over to BBC for a long period of time, I only turned over at the 5-minute signal to see if there was any delay on one or the other, and turned over at 8:29am to see if BBC were off air when Sky took their break.

I liked their post-race better than BBC's last years - the only thing they need to improve on is timing, at the end of the show, and cutting off Norbert before the PC was a bit rude, although funny to see him talking to Paffett on the phone.

I did see Gary and Ted squarming to interview Ross Brawn at the end of Qualifying, looks like Gary got first dibs there. Also, I didn't spot BBC when Sky were interviewing Senna, were BBC walking in Sky's direction when the interview was taking place, or away from Senna? If BBC's was pre-recorded at 06:15 UK time as someone said, then that means the majority of their pre-show was pre-recorded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    "Shamelessly ripped off the format"? They haven't ripped off the format at all

Well they blatantly have, its a good format so I don't blame them but they could easily have gone down a different route.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they blatantly have, its a good format so I don't blame them but they could easily have gone down a different route.

The only different route would have been studio. Which would have been a step back.

They can't get any closer than pitlane...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The only different route would have been studio. Which would have been a step back.

Would it? Simon controlling things from the sky pad with GT and Ted roaming the paddock doing what they do best.

Is a very rare thing in sports coverage that you have the main presenter being the main interviewer as well, very very rare.
This discussion has been closed.