big24fan wrote: »
    So who's buying the DVD/Blu-ray tomorrow? LOL

tumblweed drifts across the thread
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member

I'd buy it as a present....but there's no one I hate quite enough to give it to.
    duffsdad wrote: »
    My gran spoke of her with great awe. Apparently quite a legend in her time. Led me and my brother to name our craps that wouldn't flush away after her when we were wee. "Did you leave the unsinkable Molly Bown in the loo?"

ROFL
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did that bloke in the lifeboat ask if anyone had any objections before he recited the Lord's prayer? Would anyone be likely to be offended by this in 1912? It seemed a bit 21st century to me.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    Why did that bloke in the lifeboat ask if anyone had any objections before he recited the Lord's prayer? Would anyone be likely to be offended by this in 1912? It seemed a bit 21st century to me.

The script was full of strange anachronisms like this.

Also strange was that scene of Madame Aubart casually getting out of bed topless whilst her maid and Guggenheim's valet watched. Firstly, would the two servants have walked in on their masters (even in a disaster) and secondly, would a woman be so exhibitionist in 1912, even if she was a mistress?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    To be fair, it was probably judged as 'not PC' to show smoking so they omitted it.
    buttsfife wrote: »
    Does anyone think the lack of depiction of smoking was deliberate - I can only conclude it must have been :D

What does it matter? It's been shown after the watershed ?

Do I need to leave now ? :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Summing up?

Lousy script
    Lousy set design
    Lousy acting

Lousy. Did I say that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The footage they're showing from that old movie is so much more superior to Fellow's pitiful offering.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was holding out a little hope that this would be halfway decent and dramatic - an hour focused on the sinking. But it was so underwhelming. I almost feel bad for the people involved in this about how badly its panned.

I wanted to hurt that Irish father! You've found your daughter so GO BACK THE WAY YOU CAME!!?! Don't just sit there and wait 15 minutes to drown you fool!

I think I would have smacked Mrs Rushton and her bloody dogs.

*Shakes fist* at JF for killing Paolo. Not only is it too much like Jack and Rose all over again, but I had to suffer that arrogant tw*t revived by brandy instead of him!!?! Fail. :mad:

But the worst was how it didn't capture those last moments well at all imo. 1500 people went into the water but you wouldn't know it from this - it was very very quietly shot. No screaming/cries for help. There was hardly anyone in the water (there looked to be about 15 extras floating there). Im sure a ship came back 2 days later to collect the dead and found 300 odd bodies (I think - I need to check this). And wasn't there another ship passed through where she went down and the passengers saw people floating in the water. The point being that there were a lot of dead people in the sea - to not show this is pretty poor tbh. I agree what others have said about the lack of cold/ice on people as well. And the pan out at the end - surely they would have (again) been surrounding by the people lost, plus ice/icebergs etc?
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    goldielox wrote: »
    I'd buy it as a present....but there's no one I hate quite enough to give it to.

Oooh now THERE'S an idea to get rid of a particularly snotty acquaintance !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Summing up?

Lousy script
    Lousy set design
    Lousy acting

Lousy. Did I say that?

And apart from all that it was great :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Whatever was in that brandy - the NHS should get the formula and bottle it!:D

Odd they didn't seem to try the brandy on poor Paolo - it looked like a litre bottle (how did the woman manage to smuggle that on board).

Surely the viewers would have much preferred poor Paolo to live - as Annie has nothing. Rather than the toff whose wife would be well looked after as her dead husband was loaded and a member of the aristocracy?

PS I thought the reference to TOWIE being on next on ITV2 during the closing credits was so TACKY! Show some dignity and respect ITV!

Watching the factual accounts now I actually think that the Fellowes' bilge is an insult to the memory of those lost .......
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    The only problem with interspersing the words with footage of ANTR is that is showed the ship going down whole. We know that Jack Thayer saw it break apart but I think at the time of the inquests, the British Board of Trade would not hear of any stories of it breaking apart on top of the ignominy of it sinking in the first place.

As a bit of an aside - today I just didn't really want to see anything about the memorial cruise. Somehow watching ANTR seemed a more fitting tribute.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Watching the factual accounts now I actually think that the Fellowes' bilge is an insult to the memory of those lost .......

I think this is so well made.
  • Options
    fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Julian return to the titanic forum to see if the reaction changed after everyone saw the 4 episodes?
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    To be fair, it was probably judged as 'not PC' to show smoking so they omitted it.

If they can have Winston Churchill with a cigar in Dr Who I'm sure Titanic could stand a few cigars.

This is a historical drama :confused: - I doubt its PC to stop 3rd class passengers getting to the decks :D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,396
    Forum Member
    Ken Tun wrote: »

After the real sinking, when men were clinging to the upturned lifeboat, they were all from different denominations, so they decided on the Lord's Prayer.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could do with a new coaster.
  • Options
    buttsfifebuttsfife Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredsnail wrote: »
    Did Julian return to the titanic forum to see if the reaction changed after everyone saw the 4 episodes?

Hopefully he did the honourable thing and went down with the programme :D
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After the real sinking, when men were clinging to the upturned lifeboat, they were all from different denominations, so they decided on the Lord's Prayer.

Different denominations would surely mean that they were all Christian so surely they would have The Lord's Prayer in common. Or have I got something wrong?
  • Options
    ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dull dull dull...no likeable characters, no sense of drama.

And pretty poor acting..such a shame..could have been great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This programme has been a poignant tribute and puts Fellowes trash to absolute shame.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paolo :mad: It could have redeemed itself for all of five seconds, but that was too much for Fellowes.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does it matter? It's been shown after the watershed ?

Do I need to leave now ? :o

Yes. In a lifeboat. :mad:;):p
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    goldielox wrote: »
    This programme has been a poignant tribute and puts Fellowes trash to absolute shame.

Yes, I found it very moving

(I also love Richard E. Grant so that was a bonus).