Options

Battleship Rocks!

Comments

• Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it is enormous fun, really was surprised about how fun it was, and some of the humour was pitch perfect
  • Options
    caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this was like transformers but 100x better! , all of the characters are actually likeable and i was sat through the whole film rooting for them to win! :D , a few people did walk out about three quaters of the wayinto the film, but i did go to a 8pm screening and the films 2 & 1/2 hours long and these where people with children so i can imagine the kids getting a big tired so the film was probably a bit long and a bit much for children to take in.

My negatives are that the film is on for far to long, especially since the same thing happens over and over again so it does feel very repeptative and stretched out and eventually predictable, at some points i was sat their thinking, i could actually do a better job in command! :p

But when you first see rihanna you kinda think "oh thats rihanna" but after that i didnt think of her like that, i saw her as the character she was playing and she was actually pretty good :) and liam neeson was brilliant as always!

so i would reccommend Battleship to anyone who likes films like transformers/skyline ect

Plus, i left just as the credits came on, so i don't know if their was a scene hinting at a sequel during them? if their was could someone let me know? :)
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made me seek out a Battleship game app for my phone. Whether that's an endorsement or not...

I quite enjoyed Battleship. The setting and naval hardware made for a change and once the film got into gear and actually relied on the conventions of the game, it became far more enjoyable. Yes, there are stock characters on screen and events were fairly predictable. Use of genuine veterans was a nice touch. The FX were stunning and glad this wasn't another 3D debacle. Rhianna has a good onscreen presence, so can see an acting side-line looming. A negative point is the ending is about as abrupt as the notorious one in Jurassic Park 3.

If you're in the mood for lots of massive explosions, alien ships, heroic posturing and good looking 20 somethings, then Battleship will float your boat. I'd put the film on a par with the first Transformers movie, since they're close brethren.

Rating - 7/10.
  • Options
    5panky5panky Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I saw this in Cineworld Glasgow on dbox, new interactive moving/rumbling seats, and I thought the film was great and the dbox made it even better.

I know it's nonsense but to me it's brilliant nonsense.

I mean if Brooklyn Decker is really working as a therapist for injured soldiers she wouldn't be sitting down with them talking about their feelings. She'd walk into work wearing a swimsuit & they'd be like 'I know I've got no legs but I just wanna dance!'

Film 4/5
    Dbox 4/5 (can't wait to see The Avengers on this)
  • Options
    stormtrooper123stormtrooper123 Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I'm going to see this tomorrow at the ODEON, hopefully it'll be good :)
  • Options
    mirrorimagemirrorimage Posts: 4,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks a crock of shit, and won't even grace my screen when it eventually arrives on terrestrial.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it today and while I thought it was mindless fun, it felt like every other film I've seen before rolled into one, some of the shots looked like they'd been recycled from Transformers.

The problem with Battleship is that it has no backstory you can tap into unlike Transformers which thanks to the various comics and animated series has a lot of things that can be worked into a film. I know Hasbro is planning based on their properties but I struggle to think what would work, even Risk would be difficult to adapt to film.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    it is enormous fun, really was surprised about how fun it was, and some of the humour was pitch perfect
    Total Nonsense....but yes, enormous fun, even the ..."Lady loves Burritos"...moment.:cool:
    As blockbusters go....8/10

And Rihanna was in it much more then I thought.:).....2/3 scenes at most, but no, she was in a lot more.....and she was good.:eek:
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see it at the weekend. Great fun. I especially liked they way they integrated the actual game into the movie (was wondering how they would do it).

If Hasbro has any sense - they will get a movie tie in version of the game out sharpish.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    4 out of 10.

Trashy, mediocre, shallow.

Why did the aliens come to Earth?
    What did they want?
    What could the contribute?
    The trigger-happy militaristic Americans didn't ask any of these questions, and it obviously never occurred to the film-makers that the viewers might be curious. But never mind, just make a shallow action-filled movie with lots of bangs and explosions and special effects - and hope that nobody will notice that no explanation is given for the aliens coming here.

The only good thing about it is that I am feeling smug because I stayed until the end of the credits, and I was therefore the only one in the cinema who saw the extra final scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    Plus, I left just as the credits came on, so I don't know if there was a scene hinting at a sequel during them? if there was could someone let me know? :)

Yes there was a scene after the end of the credits. But I'm not going to tell you anything about what was in it, because you obviously didn't want to bother watching it.

As far as I am concerned, the credits at the end of a film - and any extra scenes which may appear during or after them - are an integral part of the film itself, and should not be considered as some sort of afterthought.

People who walk out of the cinema while the credits are still being shown, are just as bad as the people who walk out half way through a film. It's fair enough if you decide you don't want to watch the whole of a film, but people should not pretend that they have done so if they have not bothered to stay to watch the credits.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,286
    Forum Member
    Plot/Script Overboard!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    .. it obviously never occurred to the film-makers that the viewers might be curious.

or it obviously never occured to film-makers that some people might want to over analyze and pick apart a film that was never meant to be taken so seriously in the first place !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    I went to see it yesterday... not the best. Transformers is much better. I was actually laughing when
    they played the actual game with the tsuanami buoys

There were some pretty big plot holes in a plot that was almost non existant but I expected that no not going to moan about it.
    One thing I was thinking though is that the Aliens never actually attacked anyone and only defended themselves. (i.e non agressive people stayed green, it was only those that attacked them first that turned red and then were attacked). The aliens could have come in peace but the Americans never gave them time to say so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes there was a scene after the end of the credits. But I'm not going to tell you anything about what was in it, because you obviously didn't want to bother watching it.

As far as I am concerned, the credits at the end of a film - and any extra scenes which may appear during or after them - are an integral part of the film itself, and should not be considered as some sort of afterthought.

People who walk out of the cinema while the credits are still being shown, are just as bad as the people who walk out half way through a film. It's fair enough if you decide you don't want to watch the whole of a film, but people should not pretend that they have done so if they have not bothered to stay to watch the credits.

I will :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrzwGRUBTxM
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I will go and see it now. :)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Yes. I always feel I haven't experienced the full film unless I've acknowledged not just the Best Boy but also the Key Grip. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow.

Just wow.

The fact that so many people are enjoying this is surprising. And disappointing.

This has to be, without doubt, one of the worst films in recent years to grace our screens. It would have been more enjoyable to actually watch a couple play a game of Battleships than see this.

What the hell was Peter Berg thinking??! Used to have a lot of respect for him, as an actor and a director, but this is the equivalent of a cinematic lobotomy.

Yes the effects are quite sparkly in places, but they can't detract from some non-existent performances and a script that was clearly scribbled on the back of someone's hand in a rush.

Steer clear.

Review here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

WTF!
    That is really bizarre!
    I normally stay for the credits, but had to scoot on this occasion.
    Quite glad I did. That adds sod-all to the film...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    WTF!
    That is really bizarre!
    I normally stay for the credits, but had to scoot on this occasion.
    Quite glad I did. That adds sod-all to the film...

yep, it feels like a much lower budgeted, different film tacked on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.

Just wow.

The fact that so many people are enjoying this is surprising. And disappointing.

This has to be, without doubt, one of the worst films in recent years to grace our screens. It would have been more enjoyable to actually watch a couple play a game of Battleships than see this.

What the hell was Peter Berg thinking??! Used to have a lot of respect for him, as an actor and a director, but this is the equivalent of a cinematic lobotomy.

Yes the effects are quite sparkly in places, but they can't detract from some non-existent performances and a script that was clearly scribbled on the back of someone's hand in a rush.

Steer clear.

Review here.

mark kermode, I don't give a f££K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The fact that the film is based on the game "battleships" completely went over my head while I was watching it, and I had no idea until it said so in the credits at the end. If I had realised that was what the film was doing with the ocean wave detectors, I would have groaned and thought it was even more ridiculous.
  • Options
    NoiseboyNoiseboy Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of vague interest, for those who say it was - and I quote - "fun", would you say Battleship is more like a Con Air / The Rock movie than a Transformers movie? IE, is it MEANT to be funny? Does it know it's ridiculous and sorta have fun with it? Or is just a deafening dirge of noise and recycled ideas, like the trailer looked?
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Umm, whilst I would agree that any scene after the credits can be seen as intergral to the film I really can't see your argument that the credits are.

They are not, they are a list of actors and film crew. If you cut out the credits the film itself is not affected in any way and since integral means "essential or necessary for completeness" then they don't qualify.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that so many people are enjoying this is surprising. And disappointing

Why disappointing ?

Disappointing that some people can clearly distinguish fantasy from reality and sit and enjoy a cheesy, absurd alien invasion film for a couple of hours ?

Or disappointing that people aren't as pretentious as your post makes you sound ?