Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (part 3)

Comments

• Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 46,006
    Forum Member
    The BBC's Forum is currently on a rolling feed on the red button.

Just watching the sheer ease at which all the team handle the 'off the cuff, roaming the paddock' format reiterates what a thoroughly professional team the Beeb have.

Jake saying to Mr Ramirez: '....... and the burning question DC wants to ask ...... What's in the box?' :D

DC rushing off after his ipad, I did wonder whether he merely wanted a comfort break. :o:D

The 'manbag' returns, DC says it also holds his shirt for the next race. I shall now watch out to see if he wears a purple shirt in Spain!:confused::D

Jaime turns up, Jake asks all sorts of worthwhile and interesting questions, whilst bringing in DC and Ben. It is all so natural that it all looks SO easy, but we know, or we all should know, that it really isn't.

I watched the Sky coverage of the race today, and while I already know nothing really spontaneous will happen on there, I watch half an hour of the Forum and low and behold it is jammy packed full of spontaneity, informative chats to anyone they happen to meet, and it just looks like they are having fun rather than doing their job.

Kudos to the BBC, change of personnel, still the same excellent coverage. :cool:
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    The BBC's Forum is currently on a rolling feed on the red button.

Just watching the sheer ease at which all the team handle the 'off the cuff, roaming the paddock' format reiterates what a thoroughly professional team the Beeb have.

Jake saying to Mr Ramirez: '....... and the burning question DC wants to ask ...... What's in the box?' :D

DC rushing off after his ipad, I did wonder whether he merely wanted a comfort break. :o:D

The 'manbag' returns, DC says it also holds his shirt for the next race. I shall now watch out to see if he wears a purple shirt in Spain!:confused::D

Jaime turns up, Jake asks all sorts of worthwhile and interesting question,s whilst bringing in DC and Ben. It is all so natural that it all looks SO easy, but we know, or we all should know, that it really isn't.

I watched the Sky coverage of the race today, and while I already know nothing really spontaneous will happen on there, I watch half an hour of the Forum and low and behold it is jammy packed full of spontaneity, informative chats to anyone they happen to meet, and it just looks like they are having fun rather than doing their job.

Kudos to the BBC, change of personnel, still the same excellent coverage. :cool:

Great forum. Just finished watching it and agree with all of the above.

Jake is one hell of a good broadcaster, and the team spirit at the Beeb just shines through.

Just a shame the schedulers screwed them over today by allotting them only 80 minutes of airtime on BBC1.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Haha, oh don't worry I realise that, I'm just glad Hill has already done 3 of his 10 races, and just hope it's only a 1 year deal and that they replace him for next year (unless in his final 7 races he improves enormously).

I think a big hint was dropped about Jackie Stewart when he appeared on Sky. Sounds like they want him to appear more.
  • Options
    Guv'norGuv'nor Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another short half hour Legends show (why are some extended?) and some very soft focus on Steve Rider.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Why have the BBC decided to embed the forum on to the website rather than upload it to the iplayer? I can't watch it on my iPad now! I don't have a laptop and seem to have missed the red button replays..
  • Options
    FillyourbootsFillyourboots Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    we heard NOTHING from anyone at Ferrari, Mercedes, or STR (I mention them due to Ricciardo falling back badly from a great grid position, but more varied interviews would be good anyway)

(note: must qualify this post by stating that I haven't seen the SSF1 coverage today)

The "What happened to Ricciardo?" question is exactly the type of query Sky Pad is ideal for, use the helicopter shot running from grid to T1, pop a 'mysteron' around Ricciardo's car and you'd see his appalling launch, losing 4 or 5 places on the straight, getting stuck in his private slow lane on the inside of T1 and ultimately swallowed up from the pack.

This would have used the technology in an illustrative way.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,685
    Forum Member
    PCJW wrote: »
    One thing I will compliment Sky for today was putting Croft on the post-race show. I think he is quite on screen friendly and they should probably make more use of him.

I have just had a a wacky idea. Simon Lazenby is not working as presenter, David Croft has not set the world alight as a television commentator, Martin Brundle has what it takes to be a lead commentator and Anthony Davidson is currently very underused. Why not replace Simon as presenter with David Croft? David was very good at presenting Five Live Formula 1 and has a very relaxed style. I think he would be good with other pundits and would get some great interviews. Return Brundle to his old role of lead commentator and put Anthony Davidson alongside him as co-commentator. For practice sessions, they could always return David to the position of commentator and maybe Brundle could be the presenter.

Just an idea.

I think your idea has merit with one tiny error-you've picked the wrong person from the commentary box to promote to lead presenter.

We've seen Brundle present before (can't remember if he also commented that weekend for ITV off the top of my head but I don't see why it couldn't be done as long as Crofty is ok with filling in while Brundle hobbles along to the commentary box and he seems fine with that aspect) and we all know now that, disregarding the politics of the TV deal, disregarding the potential salaries on offer, what really swayed Martin Brundle to join sky was the increased exposure he would receive as the leading light Sky were going to base their promotion around rather than just being one

I could see him being very interested in the presenting aspect as it would be yet more career progression for him, rather than just the side step that he has performed at the moment (And the jury is still out on how this career pathway will be seen retrospectively)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Must admit, the BBC commentary team is not working - seemed like a good idea but Ben Edwards has no idea about F1.

On reading this I tasted a little bit of sick in my mouth... :cool:
    davedpg wrote: »

Excellent! Love DC's "we don't see too much of him nowadays, he's still working in television apparently". :D

Nice to see a cheery Brundle. He seemed to worn down today by Simon's poor questioning...
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    I just found this super interview with Jean Todt.
    Jake irritates him at one point when he keeps banging on about the protester death

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17797505

I've been critical of Humphrey, but he is good in situations like this. He comes across as though he actually knows what he is talking about.
    Hands down, I (as in my own personal opinion here, not speaking for anyone else!) prefer the BBC
    The only things Sky have got going for it are the bolt on extras such as the race control stuff meaning you can watch on-boards/pit lane etc online and on your ipads etc, and the fact they have all races live.

Well as you'll know already, all GP2 and GP3 sessions live and in HD are a major addition for me. As D.M.N also said, The F1 Show is very good too. I largely agree with the rest of your post, more or less.

To be fair though, I feel this was Sky's worst weekend (particularly for Simon Lazenby and Croft), so probably not a good one to fairy judge them on.
    gomezz wrote: »
    I dont think any bike race has started like that for a very long time nor push-starting them off the line.

Tut, tut Gomezz! I thought that you were a proper bike racing fan! :p I believe all FIM Endurance races are still started like this: http://youtu.be/5YOXxgd0gq0?t=53s

As I said earlier today though, I don't think Bahrain host a major endurance bike race, so maybe it's just wishful thinking on their part...
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could see him being very interested in the presenting aspect as it would be yet more career progression for him, rather than just the side step that he has performed at the moment (And the jury is still out on how this career pathway will be seen retrospectively)

Surely the main thing is the race.

I know this forum has lengthy discussion re the pre and post race but for most viewers the race is the overwhelmingly critical aspect of the coverage.

I can't imagine there is any chance at all that Brundle would become the presenter and leave race commentary.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,844
    Forum Member
    XxWeBByxX wrote: »
    Why have the BBC decided to embed the forum on to the website rather than upload it to the iplayer? I can't watch it on my iPad now! I don't have a laptop and seem to have missed the red button replays..

well, that's what happens when you have only an ipad :p
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet again, the Forum is the best non-race show of the weekend.

Gave up on beebs so called extended highlights after 10mins and went to mates house to watch the full race, couldnt cope with editing teams opinion of what was or wasnt important. In some ways i would be glad to see the BBC throw in the towel, so we can get all the best people in one place.

Ben and Brundle (Ant for practice)
    Jake, DC, Herbert and Eddie
    Ted, Pinkham and McKenzie (Georgie, Crofty and Ted on F1 Show)
    Ant and Crofty on the pad. (and used a lot more)
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect that some people might be criticising the BBC coverage of Bahrain a bit unfairly.

I watched the race live and then watched the BBC coverage this evening as well and, TBH, I found the race just as choppy, confusing and disjointed as the BBC show portrayed.
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Yet again, the Forum is the best non-race show of the weekend.

Gave up on beebs so called extended highlights after 10mins and went to mates house to watch the full race, couldnt cope with editing teams opinion of what was or wasnt important. In some ways i would be glad to see the BBC throw in the towel, so we can get all the best people in one place.

Ben and Brundle (Ant for practice)
    Jake, DC, Herbert and Eddie
    Ted, Pinkham and McKenzie (Georgie, Crofty and Ted on F1 Show)
    Ant and Crofty on the pad. (and used a lot more)

Pipe dream, can't see Jake staying with F1 if the Beeb were to dump it, suspect Eddie wouldn't continue either.
  • Options
    MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best forum in ages. Loved it. Great seeing Ben on there, he should have been there from day 1. Great moment with DC running off to find his bag and loved the Martin Brundle sidestepping.

I agree with a past post that maybe Croft will make a good presenter. I actually enjoyed the Five Live Christmas Show with him, Ant and Natalie. I don't think Simon is suited to the pits/paddock. He reminds me of a 'sit behind the desk with a tie on in a studio' presenter. Georgie has really grown on me - massive surprise but credit where credit is due she's not bad at all especially on the F1 Show. I don't particularly mind Croft mixing the drivers up all of the time. It's easy to do. Even Ben did it last week in China when he mixed the Caterhams up. Kovaleinen was in the pits with his name on the caption, yet Ben still said Petrov. It's easily done so cut Croft some slack, it's not an easy job. My issue with him is he shouts too loud and his commentary sounds forced. I wanted to switch the volume down. The football reference was out of order and I don't understand why he did it. I'm not a fan of football so it mattered not two hoots what the score was to me, but to some it must have really annoyed them. I can see it particularly annoyed Botty and I sympathise. It isn't nice waiting for a repeat/recording of a live sporting event and having the result spoiled. I'm sure Croft will listen to the feedback and act accordingly. His commentary was improved somewhat from Australia and I hope when I next watch Sky in Canada it'll be improved again. Whether he'll get up to the standard Ben is at, is yet to be seen but let's not forget that Ben has commentated on motorsport since the mid-90s and is well versed in F1 (Eurosport, F1 Digital, F1 in Cinemas, Season Reviews). And hasn't Croft just commentated on motorsport since 2006? This isn't a Croft-bashing post but genuine feedback - he is definitely improved on Jonathan Legard!

With the BBC coverage, they need longer highlights than just over 45 minutes. Shocking, I'm glad I watched on Sky. In Malaysia I found it to be more than ample but here, nope. It needs making into 60-70 minutes of highlights. The team is gelling nicely, that can be seen and heard on screen and despite being the best in the business Ben continues to improve. He was quite weak in comparison to his BTCC '11 form but he's been getting better and today was right up there and now I don't expect to hear Tim Harvey, his relationship with DC is really gelling well. I do miss Martin & Ted, hugely. Ben always needs to ask Gary a question whereas with Ted he can just come into it. Croft will just say 'Ted' and off he goes.

The F1 Show and Inside F1 both compliment the weekend nicely. The latter is much improved since Lee was brought on board to present it. I thought the studio based format was stuffy and boring and I stopped watching last year but this year it's been great.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I wanted to really air my opinions. Next time I'll just put it on ym website blog ;)
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,685
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Surely the main thing is the race.

I know this forum has lengthy discussion re the pre and post race but for most viewers the race is the overwhelmingly critical aspect of the coverage.

I can't imagine there is any chance at all that Brundle would become the presenter and leave race commentary.

Well as I say, I don't think the two things are mutually exclusive, he's presented before while commentating so he could easily hobble along to the commentary box while Crofty fills in for his travel time from the presentation area with a bit of pre-event colour. (Or, more likely, cram in more references to whatever football matches Sky are showing that weekend: poor form Crofty, and one that won't be forgotten in a hurry....)
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanielF wrote: »
    Pipe dream, can't see Jake staying with F1 if the Beeb were to dump it, suspect Eddie wouldn't continue either.

Not now, but maybe in 4 years or so. Once hes done 2 Olympics with the beeb, he might start looking for a new challenge.
  • Options
    Richo2006Richo2006 Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richo2006 wrote: »
    I genuinely enjoyed Ben and DC last time out in China (and by all accounts they did another great job today in Bahrain).

I *do* miss the "proper" HD picture, Martin and Ted though, so I think I will modify my plans for the next few races (and beyond)

* Sky exclusive

Spain - BBC
    Monaco - Sky (need to see Monaco in "proper" HD)
    Canada - Sky*
    Valencia - BBC
    Britain - probably BBC
    Germany - Sky
    Hungary - Sky
    Belgium - unsure
    Italy - Sky*
    Singapore - Sky (again, need to see Singapore in "proper" HD)

Can't edit on my phone for some reason. Britain for me will be Ben and DC (via TSN) as I'll be in Canada
  • Options
    Frank FurtFrank Furt Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's an app for that.... u toob. :D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,806
    Forum Member
    Tut, tut Gomezz! I thought that you were a proper bike racing fan! :p I believe all FIM Endurance races are still started like this: http://youtu.be/5YOXxgd0gq0?t=53s
    Unfortunately I don't have access to the endurance races (is there any coverage?) so have to rely on memory and hear-say.
  • Options
    4chords4chords Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Just to follow up on something I mentioned yesterday, Sky have indeed got the times of next weekends GP2 races. According to the official website www.gp2series.com Friday holds practice, qualifying plus race 1 (at 1pm) with race 2 on Saturday at 11am.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    well, that's what happens when you have only an iPad

Indeed. Tablets which run Flash are pretty commonplace now.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,727
    Forum Member
    shelsey93 wrote: »
    I always assumed that overseas broadcasters who get the BBC commentary through the world feed would just get Ben/DC from the FOM sting until a few minutes after the podium. I'm surprised you get Jake and co as well.

I don't think they have any idea they're being broadcasted live
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished the forum - excellent. So smooth, so flexible (about to end then stayed to speak to Jaime/Gary). A very good job by Jake, DC and of course Ben.

Sky's main problems appear to be:
    • Ads breaking the flow
    • Rigid timing that they MUST break/finish at predetermined points (ridiculous for a dedicated channel)
    • Damon isn't good in front the camera and on the hoof.

It's no coincidence that the China show was much better and the above three points didn't apply (so much).

It's early days for Sky, but they do have a lot of room to improve.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Neken wrote: »
    Just finished the forum - excellent. So smooth, so flexible (about to end then stayed to speak to Jaime/Gary). A very good job by Jake, DC and of course Ben.

Sky's main problems appear to be:
    • Ads breaking the flow
    • Rigid timing that they MUST break/finish at predetermined points (ridiculous for a dedicated channel)
    • Damon isn't good in front the camera and on the hoof.

It's no coincidence that the China show was much better and the above three points didn't apply (so much).

It's early days for Sky, but they do have a lot of room to improve.

Yeah I agree with this Neken and in particular, point 2. I get annoyed when they just cut an interview short because they have to go to an add break and have to show us some clever VT they've come up with that leads us there.

I think it was Whitmarsh they did it to this week and it was like, why the hell cut him off because he has something more interesting to add then your next 'Numbers Game' piece. Just delay the ad and try and create a bit of flow to the show.

Ooh that's got a nice ring to it! Come on Sky, add some flow to the show :D

Botty
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,115
    Forum Member
    Just seen the forum, and apart from how good it is, 1 thing sticks out for me. Just how small does Ben Edwards look stood between DC and JH?
This discussion has been closed.