Options

The Jedward Appreciation Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone explain to me what's that and why is it so terrible?
    Do you mean Butlins? It's a chain of what some would say are rather down-market UK holiday parks. The acts that appear there are usually naff.

But maybe we are being terrible snobs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no1clothes wrote: »
    Do you mean Butlins? It's a chain of what some would say are rather down-market UK holiday parks. The acts that appear there are usually naff.

But maybe we are being terrible snobs?

If we're snobs... then so be it... I would categorize us more as 'concerned fans'... lol. The optics of this are simply dire.
  • Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butlins FAQ: http://www.butlinsmemories.com/other/faq/index.htm

Butlins accomodation today: http://www.butlins.com/accommodation/index.aspx

Book now to avoid disappointment. It could be a great weekend for everyone going to see them. Party time!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Btw, it turns out the "huge prop" thing Jedward are bringing to Baku is their own stage. We've no idea yet what this will look like but presumably it will have water facilities built into it and the capacity to drench them mid song.
  • Options
    MarcPaulBMarcPaulB Posts: 4,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Btw, it turns out the "huge prop" thing Jedward are bringing to Baku is their own stage. We've no idea yet what this will look like but presumably it will have water facilities built into it and the capacity to drench them mid song.

More excess baggage then!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarcPaulB wrote: »
    More excess baggage then!! :D

And they said something in Amsterdam about being determined to bring their 14 different outfits after all :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And they said something in Amsterdam about being determined to bring their 14 different outfits after all :D

They've gotta do what they've gotta do! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Butlins although not ideal is not such a bad idea, they dont have a pop career in the UK so it would be impossible to put on a UK tour and make any money, in fact they would lose quite a lot their last tour lost money which is why promoters wont touch them. Butlins will provide the venue, security (if needed) and pay them and they have a captive audience and should definately pick up some new fans....every cloud etc etc.

I do feel however its time for them and their management to take a step back and decide exactly what sort of "career" they are looking for in the UK - I think they need to do some media training and work on their presentation skills and go that route - if CBBC would recommission Big Adventure that would be a great start - go the Ant & Dec route gain experience and work their way up.

Europe and Ireland will always be the Pop Star route for them they have a few more years to work it and in Ireland especially they have a great TV, Panto Pop thing going.

I know this won't be a popular opinion on here but i believe their management and Universal Ireland have done a great job with John & Edward - Universal Ireland especially come in for a lot of critism - they cannot spend a fortune on marketing because they dont have any money and the boys dont sell enough albums it as simple as that, they are unsigned to any other record company so Uni Ire have to keep the tiny budget they do have in Ireland which is the only country that Jedward sell in any reasonable quantity.

Sorry for such a long post but I really feel that rather than complaining about Louis or Universal people need to manage their expectations
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for answering the Butlins question! Now I can understand a bit better why some of you are disappointed
    Sounds exciting :D

brightonsparkle I kinda agree with you, we always want something bigger and better for the boys, but could they sell more albums in a bigger company with better promo? we don't know. Today the info about the 2011 sales in Ireland has been published and Victory is a double platinum in 2011 (as Planet Jedward was in 2010) and that means that they've sold between 30,000 and 45,000 albums. Nowadays it's a really good thing in a country like Ireland (In the list selling the same amount of copies we can see names like Lady Gaga, Jessie J, Coldplay, Amy Winehouse and One direction), but unfortunately they don't sell this much abroad.

Here's the link to the certification awards: http://www.irishcharts.ie/awards/index.htm
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think the Butlins thing could be a good move for them in the UK, would let a new audience understand what Jedward are actually all about, amazing fun concerts. When I tell people here I have tickets to see Jedward, they ask "to see Jedward do what?" the average joe in the UK thinks they record a VT for Celeb Juice every once in a while and that's all they do. It would get word of mouth out that the boys own a stage and are a bloody good night out. They won't be minding the crèche and making balloon animals, however I think one of them was pretty good at balloon animals actually if they want to make balloon animals.
    Mcfly, sugababes, Saturday's, Nduz etc all played at Butlins.

Just concerns me a bit that IF Eurovision does go well they might be tied into a Butlins thing and won't have the freedom to exploit the publcity window in Europe at the right time.

Y They not Go Asia???? Grrrrrr!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Y They not Go Asia???? Grrrrrr!!!!!!
    This, please. They could be huge over there
  • Options
    ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How they can sell many records outside Ireland(forget about germany&UK, on this planet are more countrys than that) when their albums+singles are not available there? Sweden got not even Victory though Planet Jedward did chart well. Downloads are okay(though also not available in most countrys) but Jedward fans prefer a physical disc (and not everybody has/uses i-Tunes)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for answering the Butlins question! Now I can understand a bit better why some of you are disappointed

Sounds exciting :D

brightonsparkle I kinda agree with you, we always want something bigger and better for the boys, but could they sell more albums in a bigger company with better promo? we don't know. Today the info about the 2011 sales in Ireland has been published and Victory is a double platinum in 2011 (as Planet Jedward was in 2010) and that means that they've sold between 30,000 and 45,000 albums. Nowadays it's a really good thing in a country like Ireland (In the list selling the same amount of copies we can see names like Lady Gaga, Jessie J, Coldplay, Amy Winehouse and One direction), but unfortunately they don't sell this much abroad.

Here's the link to the certification awards: http://www.irishcharts.ie/awards/index.htm

BIB they probably could - look at 1D - however we have accept that no other record company wants them, Universal would love Im sure for Uni UK to sign them or for them to enter into a joint venture with say Sony or one of the smaller player - but its not going to happen - I am not saying this to upset anyone I am just pointing out the Universal Ireland have in fact done a lot for them when noone else seems interested.

30,000 45,000 is fantastic for Ireland
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This, please. They could be huge over there

Agreed Universal and Louis need to work on getting them a deal overthere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having had a think about it and read people's posts I might be coming round to the idea of Butlins a little. I suppose it's true that there will not be any other UK gigs unless any venue was to offer them a one-off show but I would have maybe thought it would have been better to see how they did at Eurovision, and if there was any further demand for them in Europe? But maybe Butlins offer (if indeed there is one) was too good to resist....it just seems though as if they aren't expecting very much out of Eurovision this year.

I'm just dreading having to defend the decision when news of it gets out to the MF :(

Schehera wrote: »
    How they can sell many records outside Ireland(forget about germany&UK, on this planet are more countrys than that) when their albums+singles are not available there? Sweden got not even Victory though Planet Jedward did chart well. Downloads are okay(though also not available in most countrys) but Jedward fans prefer a physical disc (and not everybody has/uses i-Tunes)

Schehera I hear what you're saying, but in order for there to be physical releases in Europe and sufficient promo in order to make such a release worthwhile, they really need to be taken up by UM in those countries....as brightonsparkle has pointed out, it isn't in UMI's remit to promote in other countries, they have neither the funds nor the resources to do so.

I do believe management have done a good job - what on earth would have happened to them if Louis hadn't taken over? I do wish though he would act at least in public as if he considers them to be a serious act and not just "for the kids".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having had a think about it and read people's posts I might be coming round to the idea of Butlins a little. I suppose it's true that there will not be any other UK gigs unless any venue was to offer them a one-off show but I would have maybe thought it would have been better to see how they did at Eurovision, and if there was any further demand for them in Europe? But maybe Butlins offer (if indeed there is one) was too good to resist....it just seems though as if they aren't expecting very much out of Eurovision this year.

When are these dates in Butlins? I'm already convinced that they're going to get a better result than Lipstick and have a commercial hit with Waterline, meaning they would be very much in demand in Europe.
  • Options
    ScheheraSchehera Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://t.co/uYQyxIk3

http://t.co/xRSwRdPd
    pity that they could not make the private gig in Shanghai, I hope they will nevertheless make some gigs in Asia
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Jedward fans,good to see you all keeping the faith.Butlins hmmm, you know people are going to take the pee and say they are where they belong blah blah,

Louis promotes the boys as mad, brainless eejits who cant sing. really lets be honest The high hair and crazy outfits say comedy act.Its make its hard to take them seriously.
    We all know they are intelligent, creative guys who sing well enough for pop.I like their euro song too.

They can sing as well as if not better than ID , I don't get the hype there as Jedward are better looking too.
    But S.C likes them and hates Jedward.It really irks me to see that odious, bovine David Walliams on BGT, and his digs to those twins, not to aim as low, as to be like Jedward. Whats his problem, really.!

The boys take too much disrespect on the chin, just my opinion. and need to avoid shows where they are mocked and bullied.Other guests even feel uncomfortable and so do I as a viewer.You are wondering why they endure it and it looks desperate. Turning down the volume, jumping about and nattering would improve things too.

If the boys want to stay successful, its time to grow up and change their image, even Madonna has done this.Exploit those hot looks.
    I would not worry about Butlins, many see the ESC as desperado territory too and fans worried about it. But it was a good move.
    I wish them luck and will be rooting for them.Hope I don't offend anyone, as I love them too.I do feel at times they are badly advised and promoted badly, image wise though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quasimoron wrote: »
    Hi Jedward fans,good to see you all keeping the faith.Butlins hmmm, you know people are going to take the pee and say they are where they belong blah blah,

Louis promotes the boys as mad, brainless eejits who cant sing. really lets be honest The high hair and crazy outfits say comedy act.Its make its hard to take them seriously.
    We all know they are intelligent, creative guys who sing well enough for pop.I like their euro song too.

They can sing as well as if not better than ID , I don't get the hype there as Jedward are better looking too.
    But S.C likes them and hates Jedward.It really irks me to see that odious, bovine David Walliams on BGT, and his digs to those twins, not to aim as low, as to be like Jedward. Whats his problem, really.!

The boys take too much disrespect on the chin, just my opinion. and need to avoid shows where they are mocked and bullied.Other guests even feel uncomfortable and so do I as a viewer.You are wondering why they endure it and it looks desperate. Turning down the volume, jumping about and nattering would improve things too.

If the boys want to stay successful, its time to grow up and change their image, even Madonna has done this.Exploit those hot looks.
    I would not worry about Butlins, many see the ESC as desperado territory too and fans worried about it. But it was a good move.
    I wish them luck and will be rooting for them.Hope I don't offend anyone, as I love them too.I do feel at times they are badly advised and promoted badly, image wise though.

I agree with this post 100%.

If the twins do not take themselves and their careers seriously, why should anyone else? This is not a game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera I hear what you're saying, but in order for there to be physical releases in Europe and sufficient promo in order to make such a release worthwhile, they really need to be taken up by UM in those countries
    We're about to contact Universal Spain to "help" us with the Waterline promo here, at least for delivering the song to the radio stations or something, wish us good luck ;)

BTW should we post the info of Waterline charting in the official Austrian charts in the Eurovision forum? We all know it still means nothing but... :cool:
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're about to contact Universal Spain to "help" us with the Waterline promo here, at least for delivering the song to the radio stations or something, wish us good luck ;)

BTW should we post the info of Waterline charting in the official Austrian charts in the Eurovision forum? We all know it still means nothing but... :cool:

Good luck..I hope you get the help.. :)

Butlins ..hmmm..

I was in the hospital waiting for my appointment when I thought I'd have a quick check on twitter to see if there had been any news...and all I could see was "Butlins" ..and to be honest..I wanted to cry.

My daughter sitting next to me thought I was going to faint, because I literally went white .....I'm trying to put a postive spin on it, but at the moment I can't...they deserve better :(

Sorry to be so negative.....obviously if they do it, I'll support them as I always do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schehera wrote: »
    http://t.co/uYQyxIk3

http://t.co/xRSwRdPd
    pity that they could not make the private gig in Shanghai, I hope they will nevertheless make some gigs in Asia

Glad to hear Liam is now fully recovered, I hadn't realised he'd been in hospital for 2 weeks :eek: Yes pity about the private gig but there was no point rushing about getting jetlagged and arriving completely knackered in Baku - that's got to be their priority at the moment. What are they doing in Newcastle by the way?

Good luck - it certainly can't do any harm :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosemary wrote: »
    Good luck..I hope you get the help.. :)

Butlins ..hmmm..

I was in the hospital waiting for my appointment when I thought I'd have a quick check on twitter to see if there had been any news...and all I could see was "Butlins" ..and to be honest..I wanted to cry.

My daughter sitting next to me thought I was going to faint, because I literally went white .....I'm trying to put a postive spin on it, but at the moment I can't...they deserve better :(

Sorry to be so negative.....obviously if they do it, I'll support them as I always do

Though I wonder how many Butlins acts are about to have their next album and single released across Europe and have European tours lined up for later in the year.

It does seem though as if Louis and the twins have given up on ever been taken seriously in the UK : they probably see it as fighting a losing battle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Butlins although not ideal is not such a bad idea, they dont have a pop career in the UK so it would be impossible to put on a UK tour and make any money, in fact they would lose quite a lot their last tour lost money which is why promoters wont touch them. Butlins will provide the venue, security (if needed) and pay them and they have a captive audience and should definately pick up some new fans....every cloud etc etc.

I do feel however its time for them and their management to take a step back and decide exactly what sort of "career" they are looking for in the UK - I think they need to do some media training and work on their presentation skills and go that route - if CBBC would recommission Big Adventure that would be a great start - go the Ant & Dec route gain experience and work their way up.

Europe and Ireland will always be the Pop Star route for them they have a few more years to work it and in Ireland especially they have a great TV, Panto Pop thing going.

I know this won't be a popular opinion on here but i believe their management and Universal Ireland have done a great job with John & Edward - Universal Ireland especially come in for a lot of critism - they cannot spend a fortune on marketing because they dont have any money and the boys dont sell enough albums it as simple as that, they are unsigned to any other record company so Uni Ire have to keep the tiny budget they do have in Ireland which is the only country that Jedward sell in any reasonable quantity.

Sorry for such a long post but I really feel that rather than complaining about Louis or Universal people need to manage their expectations

You speak a lot of sense. :)
This discussion has been closed.