Options

Glee (US Pace) (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's Sugar. Jenna, Naya, Heather, Vanessa and Amber are the ones in CBT.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who's the second storysinger in CBT? I thought it was Dianna for a bit but apparently it's sugar?

It is, the verses are:

Tina - Pop
    Sugar - Six
    Brittany - Squish

with Amber doing the Intro and Naya providing additional vocals and, technically, doing Velma's part even though they don't do her verse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was the other way round and Santana did the 'squish' verse while Brittany sang the additional parts?
  • Options
    Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, how come Don't Rain On My Parade is back next week? Will it be a full performance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Lavigne wrote: »
    So, how come Don't Rain On My Parade is back next week? Will it be a full performance?
    Presumably Rachel's audition (I can't imagine her auditioning with Cry) - the promo suggest she screws it up in which case it might not be a full performance.

I've seen spoilers about a Phantom of The Opera song which would make sense given all the photos/clips of the scenery and characters in costume but it's not really clear what's happening with that - none of the songs released are from that musical.
  • Options
    wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenilou88 wrote: »
    Presumably Rachel's audition (I can't imagine her auditioning with Cry) - the promo suggest she screws it up in which case it might not be a full performance.

I've seen spoilers about a Phantom of The Opera song which would make sense given all the photos/clips of the scenery and characters in costume but it's not really clear what's happening with that - none of the songs released are from that musical.
    Yes, she's screws it up because nothing can go right for Rachel, the writers always have to put her in her place.
    That's one of the reasons I stopped watching (although I can't stop reading about it as I still care about the characters, well Rachel :D)
    As for Music of the Night, the Phantom of the Opera song, I can't believe they are doing it, none of the cast can pull it off, especially not Kurt (who is singing it) as there's no way he can go that low. I sometimes look at songs on youtube, but this I'll be avoiding like the plague.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, she's screws it up because nothing can go right for Rachel, the writers always have to put her in her place.
    That's one of the reasons I stopped watching (although I can't stop reading about it as I still care about the characters, well Rachel :D)

Supposedly she gets in eventually but is of course forced to endure the drama and upset of being rejected first.
    I do think the writing this season has ruined the characters somewhat - I've started to really dislike some of them which never happened in the previous two seasons where they were all flawed but likeable. Even those that I watch the show for like seem watered down, sanatised versions of the characters I fell in love with in early season 1.

As for Music of the Night, the Phantom of the Opera song, I can't believe they are doing it, none of the cast can pull it off, especially not Kurt (who is singing it) as there's no way he can go that low. I sometimes look at songs on youtube, but this I'll be avoiding like the plague.

It's not on Amazon along with the other covers so I imagine it can't be too significant or worthy of release.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as the plot lines and song selections are concerned, I thought this week's show was pretty good - Kurt's solo was amazing and unexpected.

But Glee has changed for me in two major way ways -

1. The quirkiness of the show is long gone because the 'geeky' characters are no longer geeks. This means a lot of the humour is lost too. Their differences are no longer celebrated and the show has become what all the detractors said in the first place - a variation of HSM.

2. Each number is recorded live, but it is dubbed over by a studio version - fair enough. But the producers no longer seem make any attempt to try and make sure the two versions are in sync. With the more experienced professional singers like Lea Michele and Darren Criss, this is much less noticeable than with someone like Cory Monteith or Heather Morris. This is a major problem for me because one of the huge strengths of Glee was the talent of the cast and the feeling that we were watching an amazing live performance. We all know that almost anyone can be made to sound good in a recording studio.

The word Gleek came from combining Glee and Geek, but if this was the first series, I doubt very much if anyone would have thought about that name. I also doubt if the audience is still as wide ranging as it originally was and it now mainly school kids and families.

I don't rush to watch each show any more and when I think about how much I used to be hooked on Glee (I even ran Glee games on here), I honestly think this should be the last series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was the other way round and Santana did the 'squish' verse while Brittany sang the additional parts?

Not as far as I am aware no.

There is no concrete evidence to suggest this is the case at all, the rumours are all based on the promo which appear to show Rachel freezing during DROMP.
    On the contrary, there is as much evidence to say
    that it is Kurt who chokes as he is supposed to be singing something from PoTO and yet actually ends up performing Not The Boy Next Door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    Not as far as I am aware ]

I thought it was the other way too. I don't think it sounds like Heather, especially not on the "he ran into my knife ten times." Bit. But that's just based on my hearing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was the other way too. I don't think it sounds like Heather, especially not on the "he ran into my knife ten times." Bit. But that's just based on my hearing :)

I'm trying to find the post where one of the vocal expert people on the forums has broken down who is doing what, needless to say I can't. Naya is definitely doing the Velma lines in the beginning of the song. It's just hard to tell if she's also speaking the Squish ones.

Right, found one of the comments on Glee Forum:
    Except for the whole "Squish" verse who is incredibly slow. Who sings it? Brittany? Because Tina is Pop, Sugar is Six and Santana is having Velma's lines.

and this is replied to by Glorfindel, who is a vocal coach and who usually is able to break down and identify voices in the Glee songs
    Yes, I think that's Brittany.
    The word Gleek came from combining Glee and Geek, but if this was the first series, I doubt very much if anyone would have thought about that name. I also doubt if the audience is still as wide ranging as it originally was and it now mainly school kids and families.

I'm 42 and watching it and not with my family as my son is only four. I have friends whose ages range from 18 through to 60+ who watch and are still watching Glee. The ratings and audience appreciation figures also tend to dispute this theory as Glee constantly tops the ratings in the 18 to 45 category :)

Your earlier part of the sentence about the derivation of the word Gleek also doesn't make any sense. A Geek is someone outside of mainstream culture therefore the audience couldn't have been "wide ranging" for series one otherwise calling them Geeks to mash with Glee and get the word Gleek would have been completely wrong.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 42 and watching it and not with my family as my son is only four. I have friends whose ages range from 18 through to 60+ who watch and are still watching Glee. The ratings and audience appreciation figures also tend to dispute this theory as Glee constantly tops the ratings in the 18 to 45 category :)...

I did say 'mainly' not 'exclusively' and it is undoubtedly still a top show.
    Your earlier part of the sentence about the derivation of the word Gleek also doesn't make any sense. A Geek is someone outside of mainstream culture therefore the audience couldn't have been "wide ranging" for series one otherwise calling them Geeks to mash with Glee and get the word Gleek would have been completely wrong.

As someone in their 50s I know what a geek is. ;) AFAIK the Geek element of Gleek came from the fact that Glee club members were regarded as geeks by their school mates. It was a natural leap to go from Geek to Gleek for fans of the show.

You don't have to defend the show to me. If you still love it, that's fine, I just gave my opinion. :)
  • Options
    konofiliuskonofilius Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for a off-topic but do you know if anyone if the cast members actually auditioned to the talent shows like XF or AI? I heard about Amber but not sure about the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Heather was on So You Think You Can Dance, not sure about anyone else though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did say 'mainly' not 'exclusively' and it is undoubtedly still a top show.

As someone in their 50s I know what a geek is. ;) AFAIK the Geek element of Gleek came from the fact that Glee club members were regarded as geeks by their school mates. It was a natural leap to go from Geek to Gleek for fans of the show.

You don't have to defend the show to me. If you still love it, that's fine, I just gave my opinion. :)

I'm not defending the show to you, I find it's a waste of time and energy as people who have a different opinion to me aren't going to change it because of what I say.

I was just saying that the entomology of the word Geek meant it didn't make sense to apply it to a wide ranging audience in the manner in which you'd mentioned.

As far as I know, when Glee started it very much was a cult type show which gained in popularity through word of mouth over the first 13 episodes, hence the use of the word Gleek to combine Glee fans with Geeks.
    Glee Clubs are very popular in the US as far as I am aware, so I don't think the people who take part in them would be referred to as Geeks. They're fairly mainstream.
    I only started watching towards the end of Season One so I can't say for sure but I know that, originally when I began to watch it, only two other people I knew watched it, as opposed to now when at least a dozen or more do.

Urban dictionary's explanation would seem to draw the same conclusion that I do about how the word developed:
    (n) Anyone who is obsessed with the television show Glee may call themselves a "Gleek". It is a combination of the words "glee" and "geek," implying that the person is a "Glee Geek." This is similar to calling someone a "Trekkie" (someone who is obsessed with Star Trek) or a "RENThead" (someone who is obsessed with the musical RENT).
    Al: Hey, did you see the new episode of Glee last Wednesday?
    Bob: Of course I did! I'm such a Gleek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still enjoy parts of the show but I think it has gone way down hill. It's become quite repetitive in the story lines and subject matter and I fail to see how much further it can go.

Generally, it appears to have been a one trick pony and doesn't have anything left up its sleeve.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been asked before but do we know
    who's in the domestic violence relationship?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but do we know
    who's in the domestic violence relationship?
    Seems to be Beiste.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be Beiste.

Ah OK, thanks :)
    Do we have any spoilers with Puck and his dad?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ They've released this short clip from the episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z6dzIf_1Pz8
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be Beiste.

Doesn't that seem a little out of the blue?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ They've released this short clip from the episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z6dzIf_1Pz8

Thanks for that - interesting...
    alixfowler wrote: »

Yeh I thought that too...which is why I thought it would be
    Puck and his dad....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alixfowler wrote: »

I was thinking the exact same thing.

It's a bit odd how that relationship has developed off screen and with her being absent for several episodes. One minute things seem positive, then there's a love triangle, then their married and now this?
    I guess it may involve Puck's dad too, although most of the speculation/spoilers I've seen point to Beiste
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really looking forward to this episode, especially cell block tango!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
This discussion has been closed.