Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    OffTheCuff wrote: »
    The other issue with series 2..Is will Brodie's motiviation not drain away.

As it is he isn't exactly the most highly motivated terrorist going he has too many ties and these are only going to strenghten while his rage over Issa's death, if that's what is driving him, will weaken

I'm sure Damian Lewis said on HIGNFY that he wouldn't be in series 2. :confused:
  • Options
    ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    Yes, I wondered about that too. I kept thinking Dana would see the brown paper packaging on her parents' bed and put two and two together because of her Dad's suspicious behaviour. Or at least, as you suggest, she would ask her mother what the present was.
    I also wondered how Brody got back out the building with that vest on. We know how he got in, because of all the commotion and the fact that multiple people were rushed into the building all together, no one suspected it was him who set the alarms off on the security walk-through door.
    But when he left, he would have walked out and all the steel ball bearings in his vest would have set the alarms off.

I thought they exited a different door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Imperial wrote: »
    I'm sure Damian Lewis said on HIGNFY that he wouldn't be in series 2. :confused:

He will be, didn't you just see during the finale that Brody is now the mastermind behind the new plan, to get behind the new President. He probably said that because that episode of HIGNFY was going to air before the finale of Homeland and he wanted to throw people off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Another thing which wasn't addressed was why Brody was found in the cell with long hair and an unkempt appearance when we know he spent considerable time with Abu Nazir in great comfort, being well looked after.
    I appreciate it is likely Brody was put back into the cell deliberately, in order to be found there by the Americans, but that doesn't explain his behaviour when he first got back home. He was acting like someone who had been in a cell for years, crouching in the corner of his bedroom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Season 2 trailer:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s188/homeland/news/a377287/homeland-season-two-teaser-debuts-watch-video.html

Poses a number of questions that haven't been answered yet.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,662
    Forum Member
    I thought right up to the end of the bunker scenes, it was brilliant.

Felt like it could've done with something 'bigger' to finish, but looking forward to season 2.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    How on earth did they get mobile phone reception inside the safe room? :confused:

An internal phone base. It's not unusual for buildings that have no reception indoors to have it's own cell.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,725
    Forum Member
    I should have been clearer. A safe room would surely be designed to block all radio transmissions in and out including mobile signals except perhaps for a secured restricted frequency for use by the security services. We have already seen one bomb being triggered by a mobile signal in this programme.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I should have been clearer. A safe room would surely be designed to block all radio transmissions in and out including mobile signals except perhaps for a secured restricted frequency for use by the security services. We have already seen one bomb being triggered by a mobile signal in this programme.

When Carrie gave Dana the phone she said something about it being for a Secret Service line. Presumably a way would have to exist for the Secret Service to communicate with the outside world in an emergency like that.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member

You have answered your own question.
    The call was not to Brody's phone, it was to the security service .
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,725
    Forum Member
    Of course. No loopholes left for me then. :)
  • Options
    PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    rebelrebel wrote: »
    Enjoyed it up to the shooting, but was disappointed after that.

-Liked the videodiary at the start. In a way this was the series 'reveal', so it was refreshing to get to this so soon.
    - Liked the non-hug between Brodie and daughter
    - The slick cut between scenes meant that the shooting came as a real surprise, despite knowing it was going to happen. For a while I thought the VP had died.
    - Vest not working felt like a cop-out.
    - Daughter's phonecall was too weak to underpin what should be the biggest point of the series.
    - From that point on it felt like treading water, just setting up for series 2.
    - Carrie was out of the action too much. She's the character i'd bought into - she'd fought so much and got so close then lost everything. This episode gave no redemption for that.
    - Brody getting close to the VP/President. Do they really think a new politician will be able to change a political party's whole ideology??
    - I did like the end scene with Carrie.

I'm glad I watched it - but i thought last week's was better.
    I personally didn't think the vest not going off was a cop out, as there have been a number of similar attacks in recent years that haven't worked because of poorly made explosives etc.
  • Options
    John8418John8418 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Miss-Fitz wrote: »
    Agree the Issa link isn't enough for me to understand why brody could kill himself and leave his own family fatherless?
    For me, that was covered by the video at the start. By signing up as a marine, he accepted that in doing his duty he might die and leave his family fatherless.

And in joining up, he'd taken an oath to protect the USA from all enemies, external and internal. He'd been convinced that the VP and just about everybody else in that room were enemies of the America he'd sworn to defend. He was willing (just about) to give his life to clean out a nest of self-serving traitors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blue34 wrote: »
    I really wish this had just been a one series show.
    I'm looking forward to series two but hope it's not going to drag on and on with it just being made up as they go along!

That's my worry too. 24 Season 1 was fantastic, I hated S2. Fortunately I was back watching and enjoying S3.

But I think with a couple of loose ends tied up, this would have been epic as just one series.

:( They'll probably flog it to death, quality will fall and everyone will wonder why we thought it was so fantastic. I generally stop watching after 3 series. Only dramas like The West Wing can hold me longer.

I'm so gld I watched it without ads, they really do ruin programmes like this.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic finale and i'm not dissapointed with it at all! Leaves it open for season 2 and hopefully those questions left unanswered can be answered (fingers crossed!). The last minute was gripping! In fact the whole Carrie scene at the end in the hospital was superb. Claire Danes really is a wonderful actress and Damian Lewis is brilliant. It was so sad that Carrie was right all along but no one believed her and she ended up even doubting herself and blaming it all on the illness. That last scene between Carrie and Brody was heartbreaking, felt really sorry for her but Brody knows the truth and manipulated her well. Shame she's in love with him.

Everyone talking about the mole, well it isn't Estes or Saul and i have to say Mandy Patinkin played Saul beautifully. Really wish he had won an award for his portrayal of Saul. Absolutely love him and his relationship with Carrie. So glad he's one of the good guys. You can't have season 2 without him! Although the dramatic angle of season 2 will be a huge change and certainly play out differently as we now know Brody's real intentions.

I actually thought Walker was intending to kill Brody and take him out along with the VP, i don't know what gave me that idea but it's just something that popped into my head, glad i was wrong! Also nice to see Virgil back in the finale, the poor guy really does bear the brunt of Carrie's aggressive rants! Lol

PS. And as someone said previously a few days back Dana did save the day and Brody. I also can't believe people are slagging off Season 2 when not even a single scene has been shot! Get some perspective! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    Homeland is indeed on for 1hr 45mins, just re-checked my listings and PVR's.

There is a repeat Monday night if the ending is missed on any.

I'm now unsubscribing from this thread, until I have watched Homeland tomorrow, and ignoring all TV references to it, as much as I can.

Then I'll re-subscribe for comments.

A quick entry into the thread, only reading this post! as I haven't watched the finalé yet...

Both my SKY+ and Freeview HD have recorded 106 minutes, so I have the whole finalé to watch !
  • Options
    barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit weird about it all. Not sure I can explain it properly. I did enjoy it - the acting, the tension - but I found myself being incredibly frustrated throughout most of it. Maybe I just have a lack of patience but I was hoping there would be some comeuppance for Brody in the finale. We can all see what Brody's up to when the other characters can't, and I was like "Yes! Carrie's got him!" when she figured it out but then no one believes her and Brody didn't detonate the bomb so still no one else realises who he really is. I find it hard to explain and I'm sure eventually the story arc will runs its course and Brody will eventually be caught. It's just waiting for that to come is annoying! I guess it's good in a way as it's left me wanting more. I think it's one of these shows that when it's over, I can watch it all back-to-back knowing it will all fall into place in the end and I won't get as frustrated. I think I must just be impatient!
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Underwhelming is how I felt and as usual they left some plot holes for season 2.

Apart from the Carrie moment before she got shocked there wasn't exciting that happened.

Not the best season finale I've seen and it would have better if the daughter found the vest or something as she suspected some about it.

Still I'll watch season 2 to see what happens and where they take the plot etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would have been a good ending if brody had set the bomb off and killed everybody.something different.no doubt when it does end,it will be a typical american thing and the plot will be discovered,clare danes exonerated,etc.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    John8418 wrote: »
    For me, that was covered by the video at the start. By signing up as a marine, he accepted that in doing his duty he might die and leave his family fatherless.

And in joining up, he'd taken an oath to protect the USA from all enemies, external and internal. He'd been convinced that the VP and just about everybody else in that room were enemies of the America he'd sworn to defend. He was willing (just about) to give his life to clean out a nest of self-serving traitors.

^ This. I know the show hinges on Brody being a danger to homeland security and Carrie trying to stop him etc. but for the reasons above I cannot see Brody as a true bad guy. That, for me, is what makes the show interesting.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    would have been a good ending if brody had set the bomb off and killed everybody.something different.no doubt when it does end,it will be a typical american thing and the plot will be discovered,clare danes exonerated,etc.

Yes it would have been a good ending, instead, yet agin, we have a contrived ending to lead to season 2 rather than an explosive one, so to speak.
    I didn't buy into Brody being tuned because of the deaths of the boy and the other children, if he was that much of a family man he own kids would have meant more to him.
  • Options
    kinetic747kinetic747 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    I didn't buy into Brody being tuned because of the deaths of the boy and the other children, if he was that much of a family man he own kids would have meant more to him.

After being tortured and held in solitary for several years I think his feelings were amplified as it was a return to some sort of normality for him. :)
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    ^ This. I know the show hinges on Brody being a danger to homeland security and Carrie trying to stop him etc. but for the reasons above I cannot see Brody as a true bad guy. That, for me, is what makes the show interesting.
    I agree. We have grown to like Brody over the weeks, and despite being a terrorist, he is basically a 'good' guy and the corrupt politicians are the 'bad' guys.
    loonattic wrote: »
    Definitely. It would have been a great ending for Brody to have been successful. When Carrie is at the hospital, there should have been a concurrent scene with Brody attending a social function to celebrate the VP's nomination (with all the 'bunker' people attending and much lower security). Just as Carrie realises that Brody knew Issa, the final shot is of the party, with the sound of an explosion, followed by the black screen - end of series!
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big24fan wrote: »
    Season 2 trailer:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s188/homeland/news/a377287/homeland-season-two-teaser-debuts-watch-video.html

Poses a number of questions that haven't been answered yet.

Maybe because it had been so hyped I found the finale a bit of an anti-climax compared to the rest of the series. Anyway at least this trailer shows that the mole, bomb vest & video threads in the story have not been forgotten. However I wonder if we will get any explanation as to what turned Walker? Also what was the point of the house that was rented by Aileen & Faisal near the airport? Was it only part of a previous plan that had to be abandoned once it was discovered? Would not exposing the cover up of the drone attack have more political effect than using Brody to influence policy?

Anyway notwithstanding all this am looking forward to seeing how Series 2 develops.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=loonattic;58069370]would have been a good ending if brody had set the bomb off and killed everybody.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

How did Brody get through the metal detector again on his way out with his vest on?
This discussion has been closed.