Options

Do you feel sympathy for these parents?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2140375/Newborn-baby-suffocated-mother-let-sleep-sofa.html

I know the Daily Mail like to put their own venomous spin on things, but the facts are that this woman (who had previously served two years in jail for causing her sisters death by reckless driving) and her partner left their seven week old daughter to sleep on a cushion on the sofa and she suffocated. The woman also admitted 'I should've put her in the Moses basket, I know, but I always put her on the settee and she has always been fine.'

I am surprised they haven't been prosecuted for child neglect, they repeatedly put her at risk and she was only seven weeks old when she died.

I would normally have all the sympathy in the world for a couple who lost their baby, but this amount of ignorance and incompetence just makes me feel angry. I just hope that if they pro-create again, social services keep a very close eye on them.

Comments

• Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Of course I feel sympathy for the parents! They have suffered the unimaginable loss of a child and its coupled with the fact they were to blame!
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm sympathetic. I'd have thought sofas were relatively safe for babies to sleep on - clearly not....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I feel sympathy for the parents! They have suffered the unimaginable loss of a child and its coupled with the fact they were to blame!

But you could also say the same thing for a parent who beat their child to death. I know that's an extreme example, but they only had to give their baby the most basic level of care to keep her alive and they couldn't be bothered!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm sympathetic. I'd have thought sofas were relatively safe for babies to sleep on - clearly not....

No, you can't prop a baby up, even in a cot, they have to lie flat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sure my children sparked out on the sofa a million times. And in those days all the advice was to put babies to sleep on their tummies. It is a wonder anyone survived.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    No, you can't prop a baby up, they have to lie flat.

Well you see... the parents might have simply been ignorant due to inexperience and thought it as safe as the cot.... It wasnt down to negligence
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many parents have had the baby on the sofa with them, and I would imagine none of them thought it dangerous if they were sitting beside the baby. Though of course you would expect them to be vigilant.
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I have sympathy for them, they lost their child! And a lot of parents would have done similar things and were just lucky enough not to have a tragedy as an outcome! Similarly, lots of babies have been put to sleep in all the proper environments/positions etc and have sadly died of cot death.

These people didn't abuse or neglect their baby, and certainly didn't commit murder, so I wish them peace and some comfort in their very sad loss.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I feel huge sympathy for them. They didn't choose to be negligent, they just made a poor choice (which we all have done in our lives).

I would wonder though, had she not had alcohol, valium, methadone and traces of cannabis and amphetamines in her system, would she maybe not have made the wrong choice? That is what I would be questioning of myself if I was in her position.

Either way, she has had the biggest punishment in the world, and one I can't even imagine going through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you see... the parents might have simply been ignorant due to inexperience and thought it as safe as the cot.... It wasnt down to negligence

All new parents are inexperienced, but for most it goes the other way and they are over-cautious with their babies.

And I know you have to take DM quotes with a pinch of salt but the 'it was always fine before' part of the mums quote seems to show a lack of awareness and responsibility. It clearly wasn't fine when it was the cause of her death.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you really seem keen for the answer to your question to be "no".

My personal answer, however, is "yes".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All new parents are inexperienced, but for most it goes the other way and they are over-cautious with their babies.

And I know you have to take DM quotes with a pinch of salt but the 'it was always fine before' part of the mums quote seems to show a lack of awareness and responsibility. It clearly wasn't fine when it was the cause of her death.

I still think you're being harsh to not feel any sympathy towards them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Responsible parent?

Quote.

A toxicology report also showed she had taken prescription valium, and there were traces of cannabis and amphetamine she used some days earlier when her mother had looked after the baby.

Ms Wall was on medication for post-natal depression which, she said, is what kept her awake on the morning of the death, and methadone
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2140375/Newborn-baby-suffocated-mother-let-sleep-sofa.html

I know the Daily Mail like to put their own venomous spin on things, but the facts are that this woman (who had previously served two years in jail for causing her sisters death by reckless driving) ...

Why is the driving conviction relevant? (other than to put a venomous spin on things)

It isn't enough that they have lost their baby - you would want them done for neglect. Of course I'm sympathetic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    OP, you really seem keen for the answer to your question to be "no".

My personal answer, however, is "yes".

No, I'm not expecting others to agree with me, and I'm questioning whether my opinion is too harsh, but I suppose I'm remembering my experiences as a parent.

A seven week old isn't a big robust baby, it's a tiny little thing that would look lost on a sofa. I can't even imagine putting a seven week old (and younger) down on the sofa when both parents are there in the same room. It's lovely to have them sleep in your arms, they barely weigh anything.

Maybe it was that I was a madly over-protective parent, I don't understand the cavalier approach.

I never had any sympathy for the McCanns either. I just think that when it comes to your kids you don't take any chances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Why is the driving conviction relevant? (other than to put a venomous spin on things)

It isn't enough that they have lost their baby - you would want them done for neglect. Of course I'm sympathetic.

It's possibly relevant in this case, she has lost two family members through unnecessary and reckless actions. I can feel pity for her, but not sympathy.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sympathetic. Even though the poor baby died through their actions, it was a tragic accident, not intentional neglect. I personally had no idea that it would have been dangerous to have a baby sleep on the sofa until reading this thread, and I'm inclined to believe they wouldn't either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a tragic accident. I used to work in a children's hospital and it certainly wasn't unusual to get dead babies come in who had died as a result of this sort of thing. The parent's reaction was always heartbreaking.... they always blamed themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    I'm sympathetic. Even though the poor baby died through their actions, it was a tragic accident, not intentional neglect. I personally had no idea that it would have been dangerous to have a baby sleep on the sofa until reading this thread, and I'm inclined to believe they wouldn't either.

It's fairly obvious she was a druggie and probably cared little.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Why in the world would you suppose that a mother would 'care little' for her child? Do you not like the look of her? Do you think the small traces of cannabis in her tox screen have made her incapable of human feeling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More than a bit presumptious. Do you often draw conclusions from such little knowledge or evidence of the situation!???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why in the world would you suppose that a mother would 'care little' for her child? Do you not like the look of her? Do you think the small traces of cannabis in her tox screen have made her incapable of human feeling?

I don't know how to multi quote but my post 14 shows it wasn't cannabis but other drugs as well. Methamphetamine and methadone.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how to multi quote but my post 14 shows it wasn't cannabis but other drugs as well. Methamphetamine and methadone.

... And why would this mean that she didn't care about her baby?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    yes. in buckets.
  • Options
    springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure my children sparked out on the sofa a million times. And in those days all the advice was to put babies to sleep on their tummies. It is a wonder anyone survived.

Yes mine too.. trouble is with parenting is that it changes from mother to daughter to granddaughter and each thinks their way is / was the right way, then pow all change again