Options

Homeland on Ch4 (UK Pace) - No Spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    As much as I like Brody, I would have preferred him to go through with it too and not return for the next season, it feels like his story has been told at this point and I think the show is strong enough to go ahead with Carrie and Saul sorting through another potential disaster next year without Brody being around.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly apologies if there has been a thread on this or if it has been mentioned before but the Israeli series " Homeland " is based on is being shown on here for the first time this week.
    The critically acclaimed "Hatufim " is being shown on Sky Arts 1 on Thursday 10th May at 9.30.
    Two series of Hatufim have have already been shot & much of series two of Homeland will be filmed in Israel.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denley wrote: »
    I agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one disappointed with the finale RP.

It felt laboured and there were no hidden surprises or twists or any sense of urgency to it tonight. Shame because the rest of the series was superb. But they took away the characters' ambiguity without filling the gap with a well paced, thriller ending imo.

The mole hunt never materialised at all. :( Most of the questions we've been asking and mulling over on this thread have been brushed under the carpet and largely amounted to nothing.

I did get some satisfaction seeing Elizabeth Gains ripped apart by a bullet :D (I really didn't like her very much) but we still never found out what turned Tom Walker, even when the chance presented itself.

In the end Brody was motivated by revenge for Issa. I don't get that as a big enough event to turn someone into a suicide bomber and willing to destroy his own family in the process.

He could much more easily have become whistle blower on the drone attack and caused damage to the state that way instead....? As the VP admitted to Saul.

Carrie's revelation that Brody knew Issa was no great revelation to end on. Memory loss or no memory loss, she's fried her career anyway. Who'll believe her now?

I don't think there's enough left of what made this so good to make me lose sleep until series 2 to be honest.

Spot on with all your points Denley. :)

We're left to our own guesswork - which is a shame. Do we make our own mind up who passed the blade and who the mole was/is ?
    Is Aileen still in custody?:D

Brody's reaction coming face to face with Walker was totally unbelievable. I couldn't understand how emotionless he was to see his friend again after thinking he'd killed him.
    Would have liked to have found out more about Walker....

In the end, the characters I felt closest to were Carrie and Saul. Clare Danes acting was brilliant even when she was lying in bed doing nothing.:D Her facial expressions make me laugh.

Now that I've got over the initial shock and disappointment of a poor ending, I might be tempted to watch the 2nd series :o but I agree with other posters that the ads get in the way and ruin the flow....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »
    Firstly apologies if there has been a thread on this or if it has been mentioned before but the Israeli series " Homeland " is based on is being shown on here for the first time this week.
    The critically acclaimed "Hatufim " is being shown on Sky Arts 1 on Thursday 10th May at 9.30.
    Two series of Hatufim have have already been shot & much of series two of Homeland will be filmed in Israel.

Will this series Hatufim come out on DVD? I haven't got Sky.
  • Options
    seelleeseellee Posts: 10,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess I'm the only one who thought this program was alright but highly overrated? Clare Danes is definitely the best thing about it though. Even though it seems highly unlikely to me that the CIA wold not know that she had a serious condition. I just found it a little formulaic. The ending was also a serious letdown.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Will this series Hatufim come out on DVD? I haven't got Sky.

Yes, Amazon.co.uk already has a listing for it, though it won't be available for sale till the show has had its TV run, obviously.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

How did Brody get through the metal detector again on his way out with his vest on?
    Someone suggested earlier thye used a different exit - presumably because the main door was a crime scene?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Yes, Amazon.co.uk already has a listing for it, though it won't be available for sale till the show has had its TV run, obviously.

Thanks MoreTears.:)
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on with all your points Denley. :).....Now that I've got over the initial shock and disappointment of a poor ending, I might be tempted to watch the 2nd series :o but I agree with other posters that the ads get in the way and ruin the flow....
    Same thoughts as you and Denley RP. Lots of loose ends. Still don't buy Brody turning. Does he really know nothing of US fighting in the last 40 years and is ignorant of the number of innocents killed? Yet he was OK to join up and stay.
    Thought Brody might have worked out by now that the original reason Nazir had him set aside has lapsed and that together with Walker's non-death might lead him to question the extent to which Nazir is manipulating him.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: cell-phone reception
    gomezz wrote: »
    Of course. No loopholes left for me then. :)

There was one gaff - the window in the apartment would have to be either toughened or laminated glass, so Walker wouldn't have been able to cut a neat hole in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I saw an interview a few months ago with David Harewood, when he was promoting Homeland over here. He said he's been signed up for 7 years. Same timeframe as Lost. :eek:

Needless to say, I'm another one who thinks it would have been better as a stand alone drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Same thoughts as you and Denley RP. Lots of loose ends. Still don't buy Brody turning. Does he really know nothing of US fighting in the last 40 years and is ignorant of the number of innocents killed? Yet he was OK to join up and stay.
    Thought Brody might have worked out by now that the original reason Nazir had him set aside has lapsed and that together with Walker's non-death might lead him to question the extent to which Nazir is manipulating him.

The only conclusion I can come up with, is that Brody has been severeIy brainwashed and it's going to take the next series for him to realise this....slowly. ;)
    Brody's daughter managed to jolt his mind a little and stop him from blowing himself... I suppose that's a start.
    I also think that Brody has feelings for Carrie and deep down appreciated her for getting his daughter to contact him.

tealady wrote: »
    Someone suggested earlier thye used a different exit - presumably because the main door was a crime scene?

Oh, I must have missed it.

I don't want to sound fastidious, but wouldn't a back door exit also have some sort of detectors or checks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to sound fastidious, but wouldn't a back door exit also have some sort of detectors or checks?

They could have just turned them off to get out. Remember, the Vice President was in there, along with all his bodyguards etc. They would have had guns on them too.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,235
    Forum Member
    still not sure about it at all..feel a bit disappointed,wished he'd blown himself and the rest of the rotters up.
    Also i was a bit alarmed at the portrayal of ECT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I saw an interview a few months ago with David Harewood, when he was promoting Homeland over here. He said he's been signed up for 7 years. Same timeframe as Lost. :eek:

Needless to say, I'm another one who thinks it would have been better as a stand alone drama.

That's it for me then. Series 2 possibly -definitely no more after that.
    I wasted so many years on Lost and all for a pitiful and dismal ending.:cry::(

We have terrorism in real life. I might as well watch the news everyday.:(
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could have just turned them off to get out.
    It's my recollection that the buzzers were going off as everyone was rushed through the detectors on the way in so even if they went back out through the detectors, alarms would be no more than was expected. I doubt they'd check each person through individually because the threat was, apparently, past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hear you RP! Me too - I sometimes feel I wasted 7 years of my life watching Lost!

I think they do try and spin these things out for too long. Another example is Desperate Housewives. The first series was very good, I gave up on the second and never watched it again. It went from the first series being a brilliant mystery/thriller to being like any old soap opera. :(
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    I found it funny how the season 2 trailer shows possible answers to who has the video, what happened to the vest and will Carrie remember but it doesn't mention at all what happened to Walkers body :rolleyes:. After Brody shit him did he dispose of the body or leave it.

When Brody was facing the VP nobody noticed the red switch in is hand which was quite easy to see. Why did not put the switch in his pocket.

Why did Walker leave the witness alive and so on. All things which were never explained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear you RP! Me too - I sometimes feel I wasted 7 years of my life watching Lost!

I think they do try and spin these things out for too long. Another example is Desperate Housewives. The first series was very good, I gave up on the second and never watched it again. It went from the first series being a brilliant mystery/thriller to being like any old soap opera. :(

Yes, I gave up on that too, Calamity-jo.:D
    I only watched the first series of 24. Didn't get hooked on the rest, but do remember it as being a fantastic one off.

I honestly need/want a conclusion, a decent ending of some sort to these series....Two series would be enough for me - the maximum.
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the finalé this Bank Holiday Monday morning.

Both PVR's recorded the whole 106 minutes, glad to spool through the ads.

Quite enjoyed it, but sussed Brody was going to kill Walker, ( a loose end) nice to get the OK from Abu N.

Couple of SOR's
    Would he really jeopardise his family by carrying bomb in boot of family car ?

Walker cut a circle in one sheet of glass, it would have been double glazed, extra thick, toughened at least.

Plus, was Damian Lewis's nose padded out with putty for the show, on HIGNFY his nose was very thin and angular ?
    He doesn't do live well IMHO.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member

I think it's standard practice to sign the actors up for 7 years after a successful first series, doesn't mean it will actually run that long though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chaz rich wrote: »

:) Thanks. I've just added it to my planner ( It's called "Prisoners of War" I see) I wonder if they've dubbed it? I can never make up my mind whether I prefer subtitles or dubbing with foreign shows. I can just about get by with French so subtitles are OK, but any other language is beyond me. :o
  • Options
    AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member

Would anyone leaving a secure area need to be put through a metal detector? Surely nobody cares when people are on their way out?
This discussion has been closed.