Options

The Matt Cardle Appreciation Thread (Part 49)

Comments

• Options
    outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Hi guys so much to catch up on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Linda Shaw wrote: »
    I agree too. It's a shame, but I don't think he'll ever get played on Radio 1. After all the hard work he's done lately and a successful tour under his belt, I'd hate to think of him trying to plug a single which we know has very little chance of getting airplay. His future is definitely as an album artist.

Some of the best music comes from 'Album' artists :D I look at the charts every week and i'm not ashamed to say i probably know one or two at the most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didnt finish my message:eek:
    Welcome new poster from overseas:D
    Hotel cafe..sounds like it went down well ..I was not surprised he showcased a new song it was the ideal time to do it..interesting the covers he performed definitely aimed at the us market but not in a pop way
    Wkd .I do think the single and album market is growing further apart but Matt does not have an established enough fan base to ignore it really ..he needs to put new singles out but maybe we should lower our expectations as where they will chart ..I do hate the domination of the singles chart by certain radio stations ..we are not the only ones who complain about it:(
    High barn..sounds great love all reports ..I am gonna enter the lottery ..you never know maybe we should all do that and if peeps can't make we can make sure others do:p
  • Options
    Linda ShawLinda Shaw Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tour is still fresh in the mind of a lot of fans. I think a single ASAP would be a great idea! Remember Will tweeting months ago that Matt had written a great song?Go for it!!
    My only fear is that this new "break up song", however beautiful it is, is just not the sort of thing to release, especially not with Amazing as the last single. Everyone knows he can sing ballads absolutely beautifully, we need BALLS, ROCK, UPBEAT, so people really get to know his range of ability. People LOVED the stuff on tour - follow that momentum!
    The mere fact that he is ALLOWED to do the Highbarn gig is a great sign of shackle-loosening. It could happen! :):):)

Re emboldened. I agree totally Cardie. We know he sings ballads beautifully but we really don't need another heartbreak song. It's time for the upbeat numbers now - raw and powerful with a bit of anger/angst thrown in. Don't mind a ballad or two but no more guilt and broken hearts. It's time to move on. Sorry if others disagree but it's what I personally would like to hear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    The tour is still fresh in the mind of a lot of fans. I think a single ASAP would be a great idea! Remember Will tweeting months ago that Matt had written a great song?Go for it!!
    My only fear is that this new "break up song", however beautiful it is, is just not the sort of thing to release, especially not with Amazing as the last single. Everyone knows he can sing ballads absolutely beautifully, we need BALLS, ROCK, UPBEAT, so people really get to know his range of ability. People LOVED the stuff on tour - follow that momentum!
    The mere fact that he is ALLOWED to do the Highbarn gig is a great sign of shackle-loosening. It could happen! :):):)

I agree with you Cardie that if there is going to be a single then it should be an upbeat rocky song rather than the emotional ballad that he sang in LA. He should save that one for the album.
    On the first point I'm not 100% sure about this DenJ. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

On the second point, with attitudes like this, he's still got an uphill struggle to get his music played. It's a crying shame that someone with Matt's talent has to rely on ignorant, narrow minded people to promote his music to the public. I bet he wouldn't have this problem in the US where they seem to nurture and embrace talent. I could go on but I'll only start to rant!!

Its a real shame that someone like Matt with so much talent has to put up with these people who can be so unkind with their flippant comments.

Matt is an unknown in the US so maybe he would stand a better chance over there of being accepted for his talent alone and not where he started his career
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _sararusso wrote: »
    Some of the best music comes from 'Album' artists :D I look at the charts every week and i'm not ashamed to say i probably know one or two at the most.

Noel Gallagher is a perfect example of this. He hasn't had huge success with singles but his album is awesome. I love every track on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenJ wrote: »
    I agree with you Cardie that if there is going to be a single then it should be an upbeat rocky song rather than the emotional ballad that he sang in LA. He should save that one for the album.

Its a real shame that someone like Matt with so much talent has to put up with these people who can be so unkind with their flippant comments.

Matt is an unknown in the US so maybe he would stand a better chance over there of being accepted for his talent alone and not where he started his career

Perhaps this is why the UK is losing so many artists to America? Just a thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Noel Gallagher is a perfect example of this. He hasn't had huge success with singles but his album is awesome. I love every track on it.

I love his album soooo much. I grew up on Oasis, so i love that style of music. He is epic :D
  • Options
    eldracttameldracttam Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very glad he left it out - doesn't really represent him :p:D

I had a moment yesterday when I quite liked the song. It took me by suprise :eek::eek::D I was having an early morning walk along the beach, the tide was out, the sun was glistening on the sea & then RFYL came on my radio, it took me all my willpower not to spread my arms out and run along the sand singing Run for your life......If you leave me behind.....Don't worry common sense prevailed until the moment passed :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eldracttam wrote: »
    I had a moment yesterday when I quite liked the song. It took me by suprise :eek::eek::D I was having an early morning walk along the beach, the tide was out, the sun was glistening on the sea & then RFYL came on my radio, it took me all my willpower not to spread my arms out and run along the sand singing Run for your life......If you leave me behind.....Don't worry common sense prevailed until the moment passed :D:D:D

Lol, Tam. Sometimes things creep up on us unawares and we just do what we feel at the time. Have to admit, it would have been a sight to see. :D:D
  • Options
    tillysteeth1tillysteeth1 Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Apparently amazing was played on corrie twice tonight!! :D
    Is Ken Bruce in charge of the corrie tunes :p
    Edit - Snap toasty!!

sorry for the rudeness hello to the newbies x 2 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,950
    Forum Member
    Amazing was just on the background of Corrie twice! They love him on there :D

Forgot to say earlier thanks for the reports from yesterday and welcome Music Lover One and Mcsenne :)
  • Options
    tillysteeth1tillysteeth1 Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    eldracttam wrote: »

PMSL !! You should have!! You could have pretended Matt was chasing you :p

I actually really like the song the way it's bandified on MTV sessions. It's like a totally different animal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently amazing was played on corrie twice tonight!! :D
    Is Ken Bruce in charge of the corrie tunes :p
    Edit - Snap toasty!!

sorry for the rudeness hello to the newbies x 2 :D

PMSL Tilly. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calling it a night now. Sleep well everyone. :):sleep:
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member

I agree with you about the ballad stuff but one cautionary note is that if every single person who attended the tour bought a new single in the week it was released it probably wouldn't even make the Top 5.

On the first point I'm not 100% sure about this DenJ. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

All artists release "singles" in some form if only to have something to release to radio and music television - the difference is people like Noel don't care whether they chart. They purely serve the purpose of letting people know the album is coming out.

My concern for Matt is that the press still think of him as an XF act and XF acts are primarily judged on how they do in the singles charts, because to date that's where they have been aimed. If he puts out a single without it being linked to an album suggests that they are expecting it to sell in its own right (given no album to promote) He'd have to promote it or it wouldn't sell at all and if he promotes it and it isn't a hit that will seal his fate to the press who are looking for him to fail. If he got a big TV appearance to back it up then maybe but otherwise I think it would be hugely risky given he would need to sell more than 30K copies in the week just to make the Top 10 - that's a big ask.

Has any song in the last 12 months made the top 10 without radio 1 support? Yes radio 2 will play it but people who listen to radio 2 don't generally buy singles.

Didnt finish my message:eek:welcome new poster from overseas:D
    Hotel cafe..sounds like it went down well ..I was not surprised he showcased a new song it was the ideal time to do it..interesting the covers he performed definitely aimed at the us market but not in a pop way
    Wkd .I do think the single and album market is growing further apart but Matt does not have an established enough fan base to ignore it really ..he needs to put new singles out but maybe we should lower our expectations as where they will chart ..I do hate the domination of the singles chart by certain radio stations ..we are not the only ones who complain about it:(
    High barn..sounds great love all reports ..I am gonna enter the lottery ..you never know maybe we should all do that and if peeps can't make we can make sure others do:p

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating he doesn't put out singles (every artist does that) just that singles should seen as a promotional tool for the album rather than having chart success being an end in itself. Which is why I question the sense in putting out a summer single without and album to promote.

There's a way to write Matt's story being he did well at first (album sold first single charted) but interest in him has declined and if another none album related single is released and fails to chart those wanting to write about his demise will have all of the ammunition they need. i know it's rubbish - the album was in the charts for the best part of six months and the tour was a sell out but if you've an agenda it's an easy story to write

that said if he can secure a big TV performance or chart radio play (see that flying pig) the whole argument changes
  • Options
    LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Where did this idea of a single without an album come from? :confused:

Couldn't agree with you more Cardie. An angsty song off the back of his break up would be good (don't think she'd think so though :o) but please no more ballady singles! Especially not for the first one. I'd like to think they've learnt a thing or two.

And I hadn't even thought about that with Highbarn, you're right :eek: When he was there before they didn't even want any mp3s or anything on the go did they?

I actually really like the song the way it's bandified on MTV sessions. It's like a totally different animal.

Don't think she'd be running away if he was :p
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    Linseyap wrote: »
    Where did this idea of a single without an album come from? :confused:

nowhere in particular just a follow on from previous conversations but in the context of him previewing a new song in LA. This may be more to do with the XF shackles not being on so he feels able to share a bit more, whereas last year if felt like a state secret. Or it may be that they intend to put some stuff out much earlier - purely conjecture on our part I think - unless anyone knows anything I don't.:o
  • Options
    CardlescardieCardlescardie Posts: 4,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about the ballad stuff but one cautionary note is that if every single person who attended the tour bought a new single in the week it was released it probably wouldn't even make the Top 5.

All artists release "singles" in some form if only to have something to release to radio and music television - the difference is people like Noel don't care whether they chart. They purely serve the purpose of letting people know the album is coming out.

My concern for Matt is that the press still think of him as an XF act and XF acts are primarily judged on how they do in the singles charts, because to date that's where they have been aimed. If he puts out a single without it being linked to an album suggests that they are expecting it to sell in its own right (given no album to promote) He'd have to promote it or it wouldn't sell at all and if he promotes it and it isn't a hit that will seal his fate to the press who are looking for him to fail. If he got a big TV appearance to back it up then maybe but otherwise I think it would be hugely risky given he would need to sell more than 30K copies in the week just to make the Top 10 - that's a big ask.

Has any song in the last 12 months made the top 10 without radio 1 support? Yes radio 2 will play it but people who listen to radio 2 don't generally buy singles.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating he doesn't put out singles (every artist does that) just that singles should seen as a promotional tool for the album rather than having chart success being an end in itself. Which is why I question the sense in putting out a summer single without and album to promote.

There's a way to write Matt's story being he did well at first (album sold first single charted) but interest in him has declined and if another none album related single is released and fails to chart those wanting to write about his demise will have all of the ammunition they need. i know it's rubbish - the album was in the charts for the best part of six months and the tour was a sell out but if you've an agenda it's an easy story to write

that said if he can secure a big TV performance or chart radio play (see that flying pig) the whole argument changes

We had a conversation yesterday along the lines of, like it or not, he came to people's attention through XF & therefore cannot have a "successful but unprominent" career, like various names who could be mentioned - ie a couple thrown my way that I'd never heard of yesterday! XF is such a poisoned chalice, but it's all part of what people sign up for. So, with respect, Noel Gallagher can do what he pleases & it won't matter if his singles sell or not. He didn't come from XF so he can get away with it. It might not be fair, but it's the perception of success as well as actual success that seems necessary, if that makes sense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nowhere in particular just a follow on from previous conversations but in the context of him previewing a new song in LA. This may be more to do with the XF shackles not being on so he feels able to share a bit more, whereas last year if felt like a state secret. Or it may be that they intend to put some stuff out much earlier - purely conjecture on our part I think - unless anyone knows anything I don't.:o
    Matt has said on a few occasion that he is not so concerned about the singles charts and is more concerned with album sales ..I hope he is not just saying that:eek:..so I presume with that in mind he will only release something if he has an album to back it up..he does seem to getting a bit more freedom at the mo ..I hope this is a positive sign ...there is always the question that he could be looking to re-work letters ie add some extra tracks for a US release but I don't honestly think that's on the cards at the mo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mcsenne wrote: »

Welcome mcsenne
    Yes I loved this vid, Danii gets so many Cardlehugs & Cardle kisses, I'm well jealous :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still can't get the Mars Bar cheesecake out of my mind :D Whatever next deep fried mars bars :eek::eek: Tilly ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by BrokenBromance
    Sorry guys, this is the only video I shot... Since this was the only US show, I had to concentrate on "listening" to his voice... :-)
    Here's the set list: Jolene, Letters, Way to Be (upon my request...hehehe), River, When We Collide, {new untitled song}, Amazing, (encore) All for Nothing
    The new song (about his recent relationship) was raw, sad but simply beautiful... His voice was captivating, and everybody at the club seemed to be impressed. It was too short, though. About 40 min long.

This makes me feel a bit upset. Not sure I'd be able to listen to it without getting emotional. :(

Me to BOABH Still turns me to mush everytime I hear it :cry::cry: Just beautiful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, but knowing me I'd have fallen flat on my face :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think she'd be running away if he was :p[/QUOTE]
    You know me so well Linse :D:D
This discussion has been closed.