Options

Madonna Appreciation Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    Maybe something still electronic, but more down tempo like trip hop? Not just get up and dance type of electronica.
    I don't know if she would ever do it, but I would love something like Garbage does on their latest album where they mix guitars and electronics. I don't think she could ever completely remove electronics from her music but maybe less of a club/dj based sound which is just about fun and dancing.

Well we have had themes as a "trilogy" of sorts within the past 15 years.

Ray Of Light - Music - American Life = Her rebirth, self analysis, issues with pop culture, rebelling against the system trilogy.

Confessions On A Dance Floor - Hard Candy - MDNA = Her self analysing, retrospective, dance odyssey, retreading ground style albums.

I reckon with that in mind could we initialise a new set of a trilogy? Maybe downtempo/trip hop elements could be incorporated....but with subliminal messages...i mean Madonna IS Dance and IS Pop but very much IS music too....so with all these elements i reckon she could definitely create another masterpeice on her rack next....again we will see where her journey is headed.

But an album with Nu-Acid House style Dub/Trip Hop Progressive Dance could be something to behold :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Yeah Josh...after the Madonna of sitcoms The Big Bang Theory but during the Kylie of sitcoms Two Broke Girls and coolio! I would really love to see them commenting on the two songs especially Like a Prayer :)

Haha i love those analogies!
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we have had themes as a "trilogy" of sorts within the past 15 years.

Ray Of Light - Music - American Life = Her rebirth, self analysis, issues with pop culture, rebelling against the system trilogy.

Confessions On A Dance Floor - Hard Candy - MDNA = Her self analysing, retrospective, dance odyssey, retreading ground style albums.

I reckon with that in mind could we initialise a new set of a trilogy? Maybe downtempo/trip hop elements could be incorporated....but with subliminal messages...i mean Madonna IS Dance and IS Pop but very much IS music too....so with all these elements i reckon she could definitely create another masterpeice on her rack next....again we will see where her journey is headed.

But an album with Nu-Acid House style Dub/Trip Hop Progressive Dance could be something to behold :cool:

That's interesting. I never thought about it before, but you can group her recent albums in a trilogy like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of know what you mean. I know some people love them but I don't really listen to True Blue or Like a Virgin that much for that reason. Those records had a bubblegum pop sound not as dance/club oriented as the first record. But I think the stuff on LAP holds up great.

Like A Prayer isnt an album....its a canvas of outer limits....it is its own Twilight Zone....the spectrums of colour, the coming of age journey across the record is why i make it my favourite album of all time. So it very much doesnt define its 80s surroundings....much like Hounds Of Love and Sign O The Times....the messages within the music....subliminal!

Like A Virgin for me doesnt reflect "bubblegum" as an essence....LAV i feel is a progression on from The First Album but very much is centred in a small concept and therefore the Synthpop is slicker the Rock Dance themes are incorporated well and her experimentation with Funk/Motown influences are moments of genius! :cool: For me that is why i feel LAV isnt typically "80s" by definition while it does hold some of the biggest hits of that decade of course :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting. I never thought about it before, but you can group her recent albums in a trilogy like that.

Yeah it is funny it hit me recently because Hard Candy is mainly SYnthpop and has Disco influences and some Funk/Club vibes like The FIrst Album. While Confessions On A Dance Floor reflected her own inspirations, her own past and her own journey as the artist/Icon she is, Hard Candy was a "what if we made The First Album in the 21st Century scenario" while MDNA as we know is a reflection of herself and exorcising those demons.
  • Options
    McdigestiveMcdigestive Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One song I think deserves credit is M's version of 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina'. It's beautiful. I love it!
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting though because a lot of casual fans of Madonna seem to love True Blue and LAV. They basically think everything she did after that is terrible! Someone once told me that they would only go to her tour if she just sang those two albums. For me, if she did that, I'd want my money back!
    There are some people who only love the style of music that was popular when they were teenagers. They just completely resist when an artist tries any new type of production or sound at all even if it's in the same genre. I respect older music but I am also open to new current contemporary trends and sounds. I don't like it when an artist completely changes to another genre, but I like it when they update it with contemporary production.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting though because a lot of casual fans of Madonna seem to love True Blue and LAV. They basically think everything she did after that is terrible! Someone once told me that they would only go to her tour if she just sang those two albums. For me, if she did that, I'd want my money back!
    There are some people who only love the style of music that was popular when they were teenagers. They just completely resist when an artist tries any new type of production or sound at all even if it's in the same genre. I respect older music but I am also open to new current contemporary trends and sounds. I don't like it when an artist completely changes to another genre, but I like it when they update it with contemporary production.

The funny thing is while they are blockbuster albums...Like A Prayer, Ray Of Light, Music and COnfessions On A Dance Floor have sales to rival them too and acclaim not to mention too :cool:

It is really absurd the mentalities tbh....but there ya have it. I always love an artist who progresses...i mean i think if they remained in the same box for too long then they end up like those vintage acts that tour and do okay ya know...i mean we all know the ones i am referring to like em as i do!

But Madonna as an artist epitomises...well...transgression and moving forward while reflecting at the past in elements.

And as Madonna is the artist she is...she incorporates all these elements that does please everybody :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd look fantastic. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd look fantastic. ;)

my cider belly may show....hmmmm well theres only one way tuh find out :D:D:D

;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now MDNA has been out for a month and a bit I thought it would be nice to see where you rank it amongst the albums. For me it's:

1. Confessions on a Dance Floor
    /1. Ray of Light
    3. American Life
    4. True Blue
    5. Like a prayer
    6. MDNA
    7. The First Album
    8. Hard Candy
    9. Erotica
    10. Bedtime Stories
    11. Music
    12. Like a Virgin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's cool. Do you have any more pictures from the Bedtime Stories shoot?

PS: is the cover meant to to be upside down or right way up (ie hairline at bottom or top)? I always gets confused
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's cool. Do you have any more pictures from the Bedtime Stories shoot?

PS: is the cover meant to to be upside down or right way up (ie hairline at bottom or top)? I always gets confused

I personally dont as its my least favourite album of hers so i dont tend to collect stuff from it...though she is striking in the artwork :)

And the front cover i think was meant to be upside down but initial pressings were right way up...i love it upside down tbh.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of know what you mean. I know some people love them but I don't really listen to True Blue or Like a Virgin that much for that reason. Those records had a bubblegum pop sound not as dance/club oriented as the first record. But I think the stuff on LAP holds up great.

Like A Virgin I'm afraid, considering how many CD's I own from different artists, is the most dated and rather "retarded" album I own. It was so relevant to me at the time and is no way a bad album. There is no such thing as a bad Madonna album, but it rarely gets a go in my CD player now. The other Madonna album that feels so irrelevant to me and dated is Bedtime Stories. I use the word "retarded" by the way, because that is the word Madonna herself uses to describe some of her back catalogue songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Like A Virgin I'm afraid, considering how many CD's I own from different artists, is the most dated and rather "retarded" album I own. It was so relevant to me at the time and is no way a bad album. There is no such thing as a bad Madonna album, but it rarely gets a go in my CD player now. The other Madonna album that feels so irrelevant to me and dated is Bedtime Stories. I use the word "retarded" by the way, because that is the word Madonna herself uses to describe some of her back catalogue songs.

I only listen to the title track from LAV really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally dont as its my least favourite album of hers so i dont tend to collect stuff from it...though she is striking in the artwork :)

And the front cover i think was meant to be upside down but initial pressings were right way up...i love it upside down tbh.

Ouch... That hurts. Bedtime Stories is amazing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Like A Virgin for - Dress You Up, Shoo-Bee-Doo, Material girl, Angel, Stay, the title song, Pretender and Over & Over :cool:

Madonna and Nile Rodgers were more than a team, they were a damn force of nature o nthat album :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Like A Virgin for - Dress You Up, Shoo-Bee-Doo, Material girl, Angel, Stay, the title song, Pretender and Over & Over :cool:

Madonna and Nile Rodgers were more than a team, they were a damn force of nature o nthat album :cool:

I forgot Dress You Up- oops!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ouch... That hurts. Bedtime Stories is amazing!

Each to our own.

We all have albums we have that definied our lives and or dont really have that passion for....but tbh i love every Madonna album .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot Dress You Up- oops!

Now whos hurting who? :sleep:
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree Josh, they were a great team on the album. It's just they didn't create a lasting sound and as such the album has become as outdated as Blue Nun and Black Forest Gateau.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now whos hurting who? :sleep:

I'm hurting myself!
This discussion has been closed.