Options

just visited KFC or kentucky as i know it

Comments

• Options
    muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I don't eat in these places very often but of all the plastic fast food outlets I actually don't mind KFC food that much, however I do have a few gripes, mainly to do with the service and how incredibly tight fisted they are.

1) it's supposed to be a fast food place so how come every outlet i've ever been in you end up walking in and having to stand in a que of about ten people who've been there for the last 10 minutes waiting to get served. When you eventually arrive at the counter and get to place your order they ask you to take a seat and wait till they bring it over to you. I swear this has happened every time in every kfc i've been in. It's supposed to be fast food. If i'm gonna have to wait 15 mins to que up get served then wait for my food, I may as well go to a Wetherspoons. At least i'll get a proper meal and not some plastic rubbish on a paper plate. It's probably cheaper too and more comfortable to sit in and they don't charge you extra for ketchup.

2) I absolutely can't stand multi million pound businesses that are so friggin tight arsed when it comes to allowing you a second tiny sachet of ketchup then insist on charging you 20p for an extra thimble of sauce like it's on sodding rations. They do this in Morrissons cafe too when it's actually cheaper to walk into the store and buy a full bottle of own brand ketchup for 35p and take it back to your table. Someone somewhere is taking the p**s. Are they really that hard up?

3) Their drinks are always warm as they never bother to put ice in them and you have to practically plead with them for it for which you get the filthy look of 'how dare you inconvenience me.' Again scrimping for the sake of some frozen water. How tight can you get?

4) I went in with my baby boy and asked for some boiled water to warm his milk bottle with. The jobsworth refused to give me any on health and safety grounds and said it was company policy not to hand out boiling water, yet said they'd be quite prepared to sell me a piping hot cup of tea for 99p and he'd conveniently leave the teabag out. I had no option but to buy a cup of tealess tea as my son needed his milk. So they can't give out boiling hot water but it's ok if they sell it you? I kid you not, the idiot said to me as he handed me the 99p cup of hot water minus the teabag, 'help yourself to milk and sugar!' He should count himself very lucky he still has all his teeth.

5) Until very recently they refused to accept cards. They have only recently redeemed themselves by finally dragging the company into the 21st century. Although the last time I went in it took them 5 minutes to get it working after firstly trying to accuse me of having a dodgy card. I don't think so. It's worked perfectly everywhere else i'd been that day.

6) Just like the sauce they also ration serviettes too. They never seem to have any out front. They're always hidden behind the counter and asking for more is like Oliver asking for more porridge. MORE! Are you serious! You want a second serviette AND a second sachet of sauce! The cheek of it!

7) No matter what time of day you walk in or how busy they are there's always tables littered with someone elses leftover rubbish which I end up having to clear away. Just because they put bins out for people to clear their rubbish away doesn't mean the staff can stand around chatting and be excused from doing any cleaning up. That's partly what they get paid for.

I've just qued up for 10 minutes and paid over £7 for a paper plate of plastic food, had to pay 40p extra for 2 more dribbles of ketchup and a warm Pepsi and practically had to begg you for some more serviettes and before I can even attempt to sit down and eat my food I first have to clean the table and wipe the seat. Do I look like I have a badge saying 'cleaner' written on it?

Perhaps you should stop eating there if it upsets you so much. Just a thought....
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbe21ok wrote: »
    Where/when was that?, last time i was there they were about the same price as here, maybe a little cheaper but not much.

The big national pizza chain's do sales and deals all the time right now Domino's is pushing their "Artisan" pizza's for 7.99 but you can't add or remove any ingredient's because they've "perfected" them. I also think they have seasonal demand differences in winter PizzaHut ran any large 1 topping $5, then after a while they were any large any toppings $9.99. Now they have the dinner box thing for $10 which is a large pizza, breadsticks and cinnamon sticks all in one box.

I'm not a huge pizza fan, PizzaHut is not even close to my favorite pizza place (Lou Malnati's in Chicago,) for one thing their lunch buffet lasts for like 10 minutes (I'm exaggerating but it's so short) and the pizza is always extremely greasy, yuck.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,356
    Forum Member
    The big national pizza chain's do sales and deals all the time right now Domino's is pushing their "Artisan" pizza's for 7.99 but you can't add or remove any ingredient's because they've "perfected" them. I also think they have seasonal demand differences in winter PizzaHut ran any large 1 topping $5, then after a while they were any large any toppings $9.99. Now they have the dinner box thing for $10 which is a large pizza, breadsticks and cinnamon sticks all in one box.

I'm not a huge pizza fan, PizzaHut is not even close to my favorite pizza place (Lou Malnati's in Chicago,) for one thing their lunch buffet lasts for like 10 minutes (I'm exaggerating but it's so short) and the pizza is always extremely greasy, yuck.

Dominos in the UK quite often run a £5.99 any pizza any size offer which is more or less the same price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love their chicken but the frozen fries are a waste of money.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate how in my local KFC, nearly every time you go in, they are out of something be it chicken (YES REALLY :rolleyes:), gravy, drinks, desserts, whatever it is, one time they could offer me chips and tea, really?
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't eat in these places very often but of all the plastic fast food outlets I actually don't mind KFC food that much, however I do have a few gripes, mainly to do with the service and how incredibly tight fisted they are.

1) it's supposed to be a fast food place so how come every outlet i've ever been in you end up walking in and having to stand in a que of about ten people who've been there for the last 10 minutes waiting to get served. When you eventually arrive at the counter and get to place your order they ask you to take a seat and wait till they bring it over to you. I swear this has happened every time in every kfc i've been in. It's supposed to be fast food. If i'm gonna have to wait 15 mins to que up get served then wait for my food, I may as well go to a Wetherspoons. At least i'll get a proper meal and not some plastic rubbish on a paper plate. It's probably cheaper too and more comfortable to sit in and they don't charge you extra for ketchup.

2) I absolutely can't stand multi million pound businesses that are so friggin tight arsed when it comes to allowing you a second tiny sachet of ketchup then insist on charging you 20p for an extra thimble of sauce like it's on sodding rations. They do this in Morrissons cafe too when it's actually cheaper to walk into the store and buy a full bottle of own brand ketchup for 35p and take it back to your table. Someone somewhere is taking the p**s. Are they really that hard up?

3) Their drinks are always warm as they never bother to put ice in them and you have to practically plead with them for it for which you get the filthy look of 'how dare you inconvenience me.' Again scrimping for the sake of some frozen water. How tight can you get?

4) I went in with my baby boy and asked for some boiled water to warm his milk bottle with. The jobsworth refused to give me any on health and safety grounds and said it was company policy not to hand out boiling water, yet said they'd be quite prepared to sell me a piping hot cup of tea for 99p and he'd conveniently leave the teabag out. I had no option but to buy a cup of tealess tea as my son needed his milk. So they can't give out boiling hot water but it's ok if they sell it you? I kid you not, the idiot said to me as he handed me the 99p cup of hot water minus the teabag, 'help yourself to milk and sugar!' He should count himself very lucky he still has all his teeth.

5) Until very recently they refused to accept cards. They have only recently redeemed themselves by finally dragging the company into the 21st century. Although the last time I went in it took them 5 minutes to get it working after firstly trying to accuse me of having a dodgy card. I don't think so. It's worked perfectly everywhere else i'd been that day.

6) Just like the sauce they also ration serviettes too. They never seem to have any out front. They're always hidden behind the counter and asking for more is like Oliver asking for more porridge. MORE! Are you serious! You want a second serviette AND a second sachet of sauce! The cheek of it!

7) No matter what time of day you walk in or how busy they are there's always tables littered with someone elses leftover rubbish which I end up having to clear away. Just because they put bins out for people to clear their rubbish away doesn't mean the staff can stand around chatting and be excused from doing any cleaning up. That's partly what they get paid for.

I've just qued up for 10 minutes and paid over £7 for a paper plate of plastic food, had to pay 40p extra for 2 more dribbles of ketchup and a warm Pepsi and practically had to begg you for some more serviettes and before I can even attempt to sit down and eat my food I first have to clean the table and wipe the seat. Do I look like I have a badge saying 'cleaner' written on it?

A bit over the top, for someone who claims he rarely uses such places, you seemingly have enough detail here to suggest otherwise.

The card payment thing is interesting, you bemoan the fact that it isn't fast food because of the slower service, but then criticise the lack of technological advances. Surely paying by card is more time consuming than simply handing over cash, as such this kind of contradicts two of your points.

As for the ketchup, I will certainly agree 20p is expensive (Although I'm only taking your word this is actually the price), but why shouldn't there be a minimal charge? KFC won't be given a box of sachets for free, they will have a cost attached to purchasing them and as such why should they be given away for free?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    UK-small bargin bucket is £9.99? in Egypt it was (in 2007) £3.50 :eek: now thats a bargin!

Yes but in Egypt they don't actually use chicken, hence the low price.

Kentucky fried rat is what I heard. :D
  • Options
    paulmasterpaulmaster Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »

got to love kfr Kentucky fried rat
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my OH went to a KFC drive thru earlier, the server couldn't understand him - is it too much for places to employ staff who can both speak and understand English?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »

Do people really still believe the rat story or are you being ironic?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Hi.
    I was quite supprised to learn that most chicken came to the UK, prepared from Brazil.
    Just thawed out & reheated.:eek:
    Excuse me for thinking everything was fresh.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    route 101route 101 Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I agree that quite often the soft drinks are warm at KFC because the last time it surprised me how cold the Pepsi was !

The sachets were free the last time i had a KFC but you hardly get any sauce in them , tubs are far better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ketchup with a KFC is just plain wrong.
  • Options
    GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny isn't it that if you have a baby you seem to think you should have things for free. It does cost money to heat up water - paying something towards that cost is a reasonable ask (I do accept that charging you the price of a cuppa and the reasons he gave were rubbish).

KFC are franchises. Each one is a separate business. Costs are generally a lot higher in the UK so it isn't surprising they have to charge more for their goods.

I usually find that if you ask for something popular it tends to be served quickly. It is only if you ask for something like mini fillets (Mr Gooby loves them) that you have to wait.

Cleanliness and staff behaviour is definitely down to the individual shop as they are all individually run.

There are a few KFCs in Leeds and their service and taste varies. We have only been to the one nearest to us once. The food was dripping in fat and tasted horrible. It has saved our diet as the nice one is so far away we have to really fancy KFC to make it worth the journey!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keith1 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I was quite supprised to learn that most chicken came to the UK, prepared from Brazil.

KFC's chicken on the bone comes from UK farms.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ketchup with a KFC is just plain wrong.

Why? If you like it then have it.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never known anyone moan about having too much of something before.

I'm not a big fan of fast food, I hate McDonalds food but I do like KFC. I don't like the buckets and pieces of chicken but the Zinger Tower burger is great.

I find it a bit strange that you use a fork for the fries too. The fries are pretty crap though have to have BBQ sauce to make them actually taste of something.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've eaten at lots of KFC on high streets, leisure parks, service stations and never experienced what you describe. You definitely don't have to pay extra for sauces, I've always had ice with my drinks if I want it (and when getting bottled drinks just ask for a cup with ice) and no issue with serviettes.

The cleaning thing does happen and its annoying but its part of the price for not paying for table service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi.

Are you sure, I've seen deliveries of fresh chicken at my local KFC many times. And seeing as most of the menu is fried in their custom pressure frying, there would be no point in pre-cooking and reheating.

Also I believe quite a few stores use halal meat.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    I've eaten at lots of KFC on high streets, leisure parks, service stations and never experienced what you describe. You definitely don't have to pay extra for sauces, I've always had ice with my drinks if I want it (and when getting bottled drinks just ask for a cup with ice) and no issue with serviettes.

The cleaning thing does happen and its annoying but its part of the price for not paying for table service.
    I disagree with alot of what that poster said but on that point I do agree.
    It came in a few years back when if you asked for extra sauce then you had to pay 10p per tub.
    I think you were allowed one ketchup free but BBQ, sweet chilli , mayo etc cost you.
    The same came in at BK.

McD is still free though.

Also, it depends on the server. Either they are too busy to start charging for little extras and just shot them in or they don't care and give you them for free anyway.
    Generally though they do charge for them.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people really still believe the rat story or are you being ironic?

Watched Demolition Man too many times, you see any cows down here? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I disagree with alot of what that poster said but on that point I do agree.
    It came in a few years back when if you asked for extra sauce then you had to pay 10p per tub.
    I think you were allowed one ketchup free but BBQ, sweet chilli , mayo etc cost you.
    The same came in at BK.

McD is still free though.

Also, it depends on the server. Either they are too busy to start charging for little extras and just shot them in or they don't care and give you them for free anyway.
    Generally though they do charge for them.

I have to say they don't normally put the sauces in but I've never had a refusal or request for payment when I ask for them. Maybe its just me. Same with BK but I rarely go there so not much experience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »
    Are you sure, I've seen deliveries of fresh chicken at my local KFC many times. And seeing as most of the menu is fried in their custom pressure frying, there would be no point in pre-cooking and reheating.

Also I believe quite a few stores use halal meat.

Only on what i have been told by someone worked there for a few years.
    I agree that some chicken must come from the UK.
    Still tastes good anyway.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only on what i have been told by someone worked there for a few years.
    I agree that some chicken must come from the UK.
    Still tastes good anyway.:)

All their on the bone chicken is UK sourced and fresh. Maybe some of the fillet stuff comes from abroad.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been back to my local KFC since I went to the drive through, and the person taking my order annoyed me, a lot!

I had my order all worked out in my head, including what drinks and sides with each meal, so it should have been easy if he'd let me finish my order without butting in, but the conversation went like this:

Him: Can I take your order?

Me: Yes, I'd like a fillet tow...

Him (interrupting me mid-word): Fillet Tower, is that a meal?

Me: yes and can I have spr.....

Him: what drink would you like?

Me: spite, and could I have some cole.....

Him: would you like any sides?

Me: coleslaw, and I would also like a original reci...

Him: is that everything?

Me: NO, can you let me finish!

I was getting peeved by this point. :mad: He didn't acknowlege my request to let me finish my order, and continued to interrupt for each of the three meals I ordered.

I'm sure this one just one individual and not all KFC staff are like that, but it has put me off going there.