Options

Talksport Chat (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommywon wrote: »
    Well done Talksport for going for a break at 3pm and when they come back Spurs have taken the lead. Why did they not have a break at 2.58pm and be back for kick off. So much for Football First.

It's commercial radio. They have to take their breaks sometime! And the show's called Matchday Live these days. ;)

This is the usual formula they employ on your typical Saturday - they go around the grounds for team news in the quarter hour up right up until 3pm, then take a break and update any early goals on their return. Unless they go commercial free for the best part of two hours it's inevitable that they are going to be in breaks when some of the afternoon's goals go in, as is the case with Soccer Saturday/Special on Sky Sports News.

Matchday Live's build-up has been excellent this afternoon. I particularly liked the montage of gaffs and funny bits from the show from over the course of the season. Interestingly it seems as if Sam Matterface is taking the reigns from the Etihad for around the grounds rather than Adrian Durham at White Hart Lane. Should be a great day of football. :)
  • Options
    m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the commentators could control themselves a bit better. They seem to erupt into hysterical screaming whenever a goal is scored. The Aguero goal was the worst example since the last example when Cisse scored for Newcastle. That was shortly preceded by the former worst example when Suarez scored.

Sam Matterfaces voice sounds like a 13 year old's that hasn't quite broken yet.

Other than that well done TS for a great afternoons coverage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree with you for a change Mark - I thought Sam Matterface was immense today.

Not only did he hold the coverage together really well and throw to the other grounds at the right time, I think his commentaries on the goals (they just happened to be with him and Stan when most of them went in) were fantastic. I'm not usually one for over the top, excitable commentaries so I'm not Sam's biggest fan; but on the big goals in the big games he has covered over the last month or so he has been superb; bringing home the raw emotion of those moments.

I thought talkSPORT's coverage was superb from start to finish today; Matchday Live was fantastic, both the build-up hours with Adrian and the around the grounds coverage from 3pm with Sam and Stan; I enjoyed the commentary on the trophy presentation and Call Collymore with Sam and Stan managing to collar most of the big players at their game. And you'll be pleased to know I've even enjoyed what I've heard of The Press Pass this evening - having caught bits over the past few weeks, I have to say I'm warming to it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree with you for a change Mark - I thought Sam Matterface was immense today.

Not only did he hold the coverage together really well and throw to the other grounds at the right time, I think his commentaries on the goals (they just happened to be with him and Stan when most of them went in) were fantastic. I'm not usually one for over the top, excitable commentaries so I'm not Sam's biggest fan; but on the big goals in the big games he has covered over the last month or so he has been superb; bringing home the raw emotion of those moments.

I thought talkSPORT's coverage was superb from start to finish today; Matchday Live was fantastic, both the build-up hours with Adrian and the around the grounds coverage from 3pm with Sam and Stan; I enjoyed the commentary on the trophy presentation and Call Collymore with Sam and Stan managing to collar most of the big players at their game. And you'll be pleased to know I've even enjoyed what I've heard of The Press Pass this evening - having caught bits over the past few weeks, I have to say I'm warming to it!

It's only a minor disagreement then Diff as other than the over-reaction to the goals I agree with every word you said.

Today was always going to be a tense and exciting finale to the season and I didn't expect City to snatch the title from the jaws of defeat quite so dramatically. I listened all day and Ts's coverage was as good as it gets. Something they have maintained all season.

I'm not over struck on Matterface's commentaries as I dislike his attempts at 'speed talking' and the way his voice breaks when a goal is scored. Nevertheless I still prefer his commentaries over those on 5Live.

I know you keep an ear to the ground on commentators so I thought I'd ask you if you think Ts have any plans on giving John Roder more work in the future. Obviously there are the Euros coming up but I'd like to hear more of him next season on the mainstream matches.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rare I listen to talkSPORT live match commentaries for the very reason M4rk has given tonight, that being totally over the top reactions to goals and near misses. Someone tell Matterface and the rest top flight football in the UK was not invented since the formation of the premiership and since talkSPORT joined the bandwagon it's been going over a hundred years and for the first eighty or ninety of them goals when scored were met with sensible reactions and comments not jumping up and down wild excitable schoolgirl type reactions.

Didn't listen to any of it but can imagine the shouting, screaming and commotion when City scored the last goal.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member

I agree with Diff regarding Sam's celebrations, it was genuine and no different to how fans at the game reacted and exactly how any armchair fan would react to the unbelievable finale to an excellent game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    I know you keep an ear to the ground on commentators so I thought I'd ask you if you think Ts have any plans on giving John Roder more work in the future. Obviously there are the Euros coming up but I'd like to hear more of him next season on the mainstream matches.

No idea to be perfectly honest - he's pencilled in to cover Euro 2012 with talkSPORT but will be back on the Beeb for the Olympic football tournaments. Roder covered Swansea City v Liverpool on Match of the Day tonight and I presume he'll continue on the show next season, meaning he'll be unavailable to work on talkSPORT during a typical Premier League weekend. They could get him in as a commentator on Champions League nights or on FA Cup weekends should they win rights to that competition, although Sam Matterface should continue to be their "chief football commentator" as Stan described him on Call Collymore this evening.

I do have another bit of talkSPORT commentary news for you though - Ian Danter tweeted earlier today that Stoke v Bolton was his last live match until August, ergo he won't be going to Euro 2012 with talkSPORT. Instead he'll be presenting the Saturday afternoon seasonal replacement for Matchday Live during the summer months. It's come as quite a surprise to me seeing as he commentated on a World Cup Semi-Final for talkSPORT two years ago.
    jackyork wrote: »
    I agree with Diff regarding Sam's celebrations, it was genuine and no different to how fans at the game reacted and exactly how any armchair fan would react to the unbelievable finale to an excellent game.

Got to echo this, Sam's reaction to Kun Aguero's winner was great as it sounded so genuine. I know what Mark means when he talks about Sam's over-reactions - I think it's more as case of him liking a "clever" line and some of these can be quite cringey (the "like Bernard Matthews it was BOOTIFUL" one-liner on a Norwich goal for instance) - and even though he pulled out a couple of trademark superlatives ("with magical powers") it just sounded so raw and emotional. I'm not usually that big a fan of his commentary work but he's won me round over the past couple of months. He's done real justice to the major games he's been lucky enough to cover.
  • Options
    NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    allowing people like Nigel and others on all the time who had completely nothing much of interest to say,
    Who?? I have managed to erase the memory of this creepy individual from my mind.
    The story on the guy I mentioned having two grand on Manchester United winning the league was thus, ... he was given £2,000 by his grandmother as a present recently because he was skint, his grandmother thought it would really help him and cheer him up, (he's married with kids and needs every penny) but the fruitcake thought it a cast iron safe bet to lump the lot on United when they looked absolute certs and make an easy extra grand on top, if City win he'll be even more pi$$ed off than you will Cant!. :D

I tend to agree with Cantona - if he was my husband and had done this then he would find himself on the street - or at least the spare room- and having to contemplate funding a divorce...

I have never understood why some people want to fritter money away in betting shops. If betting was easy there would not be any betting shops...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natterlee wrote: »
    Who?? I have managed to erase the memory of this creepy individual from my mind.

I tend to agree with Cantona - if he was my husband and had done this then he would find himself on the street - or at least the spare room- and having to contemplate funding a divorce...

I have never understood why some people want to fritter money away in betting shops. If betting was easy there would not be any betting shops...

I always imagine football managers have the mentality of addicted gamblers. However bad the loss, they always believe they can turn it around with the next game and win. And so on and so forth.

There must be a connection somewhere:confused:

PS - Waiting to crack the champagne open when it's confirmed McCleish is sacked;)
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always imagine football managers have the mentality of addicted gamblers. However bad the loss, they always believe they can turn it around with the next game and win. And so on and so forth.

There must be a connection somewhere:confused:

PS - Waiting to crack the champagne open when it's confirmed McCleish is sacked;)

How do you mean M4rk? ... is it coming off the street he's soon to be out?, ... hands off our man by the way lol. :D
  • Options
    RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I don't suppose they've mentioned much about tonight's first league 1 play-off semi final between Stevenage and Sheffield United have they?

They had the Stevenage manager on H&J and a preview of the L1 semis with (I think) their football league correspondent into Drivetime as well as reporters covering both games.
    Ian Danter tweeted earlier today that Stoke v Bolton was his last live match until August, ergo he won't be going to Euro 2012 with talkSPORT.

I'm staggered that Moz Dee doesn't see Danter as part of their commentary plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you mean M4rk? ... is it coming off the street he's soon to be out?, ... hands off our man by the way lol. :D

The calls for him out have not stopped all season and TS are literally waiting to confirm the news right now. Some news outlets are already confirming it. It's top of the sports bulletins and has been for the last few hours. Rumours are rife on twitter too.

The calls started on the day Villa signed him which was an incredible mistake that almost everybody could see straight away bar those who appointed him. Decisions like that do not give you much confidence in the board do they?. Since then there has been a sense of depression that has never lifted all season. It might by this evening though. If it is, I'd expect a surge in season tickets because right now they ain't sold many to watch that pile of crap next season.

The fact that Blues fans have been laughing all season speaks for itself. Lerner only needed to travel five miles up the road to get the handle on him or ask any number of blues fans who could have put him straight but he failed. This is against a backdrop of Chris Hughton performing miracles with what he got straddled with when they were relegate.

At one point we could have been relegated ourselves and seen Blues come up through the play offs. Try dealing with that one.:mad:

I hate to say it, but I've been off football most of this season compared to normal as I knew we'd be crap and it's put me on a downer knowing from day one that we'd be flirting with relegation by the end of the season.

At one time Villa were a must see because they were quick and exciting under MON. Anyone expecting to watch one of our games now will see the most dour performance in the whole league and it's no coincidence we were LAST on MOTD more than just about any other team.

Don't worry about us getting your man though, if he's any good we'll certainly overlook him that's for sure. :rolleyes:

:(:(:(:(:(

Oh .And if anyone has noticed I keep spelling McCleish's name wrong, don't worry - it's deliberate.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Natterlee wrote: »

You are right Nat, I will only gamble what i'm prepared to lose. I'v yet to meet a millionaire gambler, the bookies allways win in the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice work Stan. Got the McCleish scoop a full thirty minutes before any other news outlet could confirm it.

The cloud has lifted:)
  • Options
    ScottHarrisScottHarris Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the commentators could control themselves a bit better. They seem to erupt into hysterical screaming whenever a goal is scored. The Aguero goal was the worst example since the last example when Cisse scored for Newcastle. That was shortly preceded by the former worst example when Suarez scored.

Sam Matterfaces voice sounds like a 13 year old's that hasn't quite broken yet.

Other than that well done TS for a great afternoons coverage.

The commentating is terrible on TalkSport , Stan Collymore is just a big mouth and Sam Matterface is just awful. 5Live commentary is so much better , always has been and always will be.
  • Options
    NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    "Mum, my dog has just attacked the girl whose dog has eaten Steve Redgrave..."
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Mark 'Mr Xenophobe' Saggers is in a bit of a pickle. Not only has an Italian manger, who employs Tevez and Balotelli, won the league with Man City, the team that Saggers really hates, but his best mate 'Arry will miss out on CL football, if Chelsea win on Saturday. But Saggers is obliged to support English teams in Europe against 'dirty foreigners'. I wonder what will win out, Saggy Baggy's love for Redknapp, or his support for the English team in Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm staggered that Moz Dee doesn't see Danter as part of their commentary plans.

Staggered is the word. Given the geography involved (and presuming from things said on the station they are planning to do every match of Euro 2012 on-site this time), I'd have thought Dants would have been a cast iron pick to be their fourth choice commentator after the already-confirmed Matterface, Pearson and Roder.

As to the reason why Moz Dee hasn't put him in their Euro 2012 plans, it beats me. Perhaps he's not comfortable with him outshining some of his handpicked guys (see also Andy Goldstein and Sam Delaney when it comes to H&J cover work).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matchday Live's build-up has been excellent this afternoon. I particularly liked the montage of gaffs and funny bits from the show from over the course of the season.

I'm pleased to say talkSPORT have uploaded this to their website, meaning I don't have to find it on Listen Again: http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/matchday-live/120513/matchday-live-bloopers-20112012-171932

Highlights from Matchday Live in 2011/12 include Stan groaning, Dom McGuinness getting all emotional, Grahame Lloyd growling, some of Sam Matterface's tortuous links, Harry Redknapp admiring Graham Courtney's voice, Tony Incenzo talking about his underpants and Moose getting his sums mixed up. No idea what "I'm your boogie man" was all about though.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony Gold for Keys and Gray. I was amused to hear it greeted by 'muted applause' by a friend in the building. Some people must be bitter.
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    Sony Gold for Keys and Gray. I was amused to hear it greeted by 'muted applause' by a friend in the building. Some people must be bitter.

http://pic.twitter.com/MmBOgxp7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well done K&G.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,584
    Forum Member
    Mark 'Mr Xenophobe' Saggers is in a bit of a pickle. Not only has an Italian manger, who employs Tevez and Balotelli, won the league with Man City, the team that Saggers really hates, but his best mate 'Arry will miss out on CL football, if Chelsea win on Saturday. But Saggers is obliged to support English teams in Europe against 'dirty foreigners'. I wonder what will win out, Saggy Baggy's love for Redknapp, or his support for the English team in Europe.

Just a general load of moaning about the fact Man City won it seems.

Too much money,pampered players and not good for the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least they (presumably) didn't get the kind of reception a former talkSPORT mid-morning host received at the Sonys a few years back upon having their name read out as a nominee.

Pleased that talkSPORT have won the Sony gold in this Best Sports Programme category, just a shame it wasn't for the show I was hoping they'd win it for. That being said, I echo what Mark has written, so well done to Richard, Andy and everyone who works and regularly guests on their show.

I hear Absolute Radio's Rock 'N' Roll Football got the silver award in the sport category, anyone know if My Sporting Life got the bronze?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well done K&G.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
    K&G gold fully deserved.

M4rk I'm glad for you that MacLeish has been sacked. Even though results have been poor for you all season yesterdays result just about summed it up, if it wasn't for that draw last week yesterdays game against Norwich could have meant relegation, yet there was still no fight in the team.

IMO Martinez would be a great appointment if the board give him time to implement his style of play.

Who do you want?
This discussion has been closed.