Options

Talksport Chat (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keys & Gray's success in the Best Sports Programme category was the only gold award of the night for talkSPORT at the Sony Radio Awards, although the station did win a few silver and bronze awards.

Alan Brazil won the silver award in the Speech Radio Personality of the Year category, missing out on gold to Danny Baker. talkSPORT Creative and their Rugby World Cup promos were silver award winners in the Best Promotional/Advertising Campaign field with their Campese Like Sunday Morning trails winning a bronze in the Best Single Promo/Commercial category.

Sadly My Sporting Life didn't win an award in the Best Sports Programme category; Keys & Gray got gold, Absolute Radio's Rock 'N' Roll Football got silver and 5 Live's Kicking-Off with Colin Murray got bronze. Neither did Moz Dee win Station Programmer of the Year; that gong went to Andy Roberts of KISS (the London dance music station; the former Windies bowler hasn't joined the face paint loving rock band!).

Here's the full list of winners from Radio Today: http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/05/sony-awards-2012-full-list-of-winners/
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Speech Radio Personality of the Year
    Gold: Danny Baker – Campbell Davison Media for BBC Radio 5 live
    Silver: Alan Brazil – talkSPORT

Best Sports Programme
    Gold: Keys & Gray – talkSPORT
    Silver: Rock ‘N’ Roll Football – Survival Sunday – USP Content for Absolute Radio
    Bronze: Kicking Off With Colin Murray – BBC Radio Sport for BBC Radio 5 live
    Nominee: Gerr’um On Side – UTV Media for 102.4 Wish FM and 107.2 Wire FM

Best Single Promo/Commercial
    Gold: Geoff Lloyd’s Hometime Show – The Complaints – Absolute Radio
    Silver: The Day Before 9/11 – BBC Radio 4 Presentation for BBC Radio 4
    Bronze: Campese on Sunday Morning – talkSPORT Creative for talkSPORT
    Nominee: Sherlock Returns – BBC Radio Cross Trails for BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 5 live and BBC Radio 6 Music

Best Promotional/Advertising Campaign
    Gold: Wimbledon 2011 – Fresh Air Production for BBC Radio Cross Trails for BBC Radio 2, 5 live & Local Radio
    Silver: The Rugby World Cup 2011 – talkSPORT Creative for talkSPORT
    Bronze: Britain Loves Radio – Radio Advertising Bureau for Commercial Radio
    Nominee: Red Nose Day – Fresh Air Production for BBC Radio Cross Trails for BBC Radio 1, 2 & Local Radio

Edit Sorry Diff I did not see your post above.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to worry Jack - I'm still trying to get my head round how the Sony judges deemed Kicking Off more worthy of the title best sports show on the radio than My Sporting Life! :( Proof if ever it was needed that we all have different opinions and tastes. Can't say I agree with them but each to their own, I suppose.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Not to worry Jack - I'm still trying to get my head round how the Sony judges deemed Kicking Off more worthy of the title best sports show on the radio than My Sporting Life! :( Proof if ever it was needed that we all have different opinions and tastes. Can't say I agree with them but each to their own, I suppose.
    There's no doubt If MSL continue the quality of shows Danny and the team has produced this year it will only be a matter of time.
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Brazil can win a silver anyone getting a bronze might as well give up,just shows how flawed these awards are as we know TS radio station of they year ...my arse.Hawksbee and Kelly don't even get a sniff although they are by far the best at TS and I can't think of any better at 5 live or any othe sports radio station.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    K&G gold fully deserved.

M4rk I'm glad for you that MacLeish has been sacked. Even though results have been poor for you all season yesterdays result just about summed it up, if it wasn't for that draw last week yesterdays game against Norwich could have meant relegation, yet there was still no fight in the team.

IMO Martinez would be a great appointment if the board give him time to implement his style of play.

Who do you want?

Totally agree on Keys and Gray. Well deserved award for one of my favourite shows on the radio. Am looking forward to Souness this morning.

One thing that annoys me about McLeish though is this idea he didn't "play football". So they were playing rounders then?
    Keys & Gray's success in the Best Sports Programme category was the only gold award of the night for talkSPORT at the Sony Radio Awards, although the station did win a few silver and bronze awards.

Alan Brazil won the silver award in the Speech Radio Personality of the Year category, missing out on gold to Danny Baker. talkSPORT Creative and their Rugby World Cup promos were silver award winners in the Best Promotional/Advertising Campaign field with their Campese Like Sunday Morning trails winning a bronze in the Best Single Promo/Commercial category.

Sadly My Sporting Life didn't win an award in the Best Sports Programme category; Keys & Gray got gold, Absolute Radio's Rock 'N' Roll Football got silver and 5 Live's Kicking-Off with Colin Murray got bronze. Neither did Moz Dee win Station Programmer of the Year; that gong went to Andy Roberts of KISS (the London dance music station; the former Windies bowler hasn't joined the face paint loving rock band!).

Surely that's a rare error on your part Diff and what it meant to say was that Colin Murray got bronzed ;) Don't be surprised about Brazil's silver - they clearly think "personality" means coming in half cut...MSL deserved a gold award.
  • Options
    m4rk1m4rk1 Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    K&G gold fully deserved.

M4rk I'm glad for you that MacLeish has been sacked. Even though results have been poor for you all season yesterdays result just about summed it up, if it wasn't for that draw last week yesterdays game against Norwich could have meant relegation, yet there was still no fight in the team.

IMO Martinez would be a great appointment if the board give him time to implement his style of play.

Who do you want?

Jack it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off the team but that doesn't excuse the Board's ridiculous decision to appoint him in the first place.

My first choice from the main contenders is Lambert but I always enjoy the speculation involved with new managers at any club.

I've listened to other suggestions from fans and pundits and some are good options. Bob Bradley's name is still on the list and given the sorry state of play last season I'm intrigued as to what he might have done instead of Eck. Paulo DiCanio got a mention by one fan which would be interesting. Ugo Ehiogu has spoken twice recently on TalkSPORT with two interesting views The first being Karl Robinson from MK Dons and before that he previously didn't rule out a coalition management between him and Gareth Southgate if the chance came up. Curblishley's name always appears to be in the hat whenever a Villa job comes up but of the other contenders it seems to be Martinez, whose credentials for season long quality rather than a ten game burst are a little in doubt as far as I'm concerned.

Of course any manager worth his salt is going to demand some funds to operate so that will eliminate some options straight away but mainly the unrealistic ones. Comparing the job Chris Hughton has done at Blues to the resourses he's had I'd say he is starting to become hot property in the troubleshooting stakes. If Villa had him you'd see we aren't bitter about anything BCFC as was portrayed under McLeish. We complain about dour play, bad results and taken to the brink of relegation.

In the real world. I hope it will be Lambert but there are serious questions over the boards ability to pick the right manager. I have a strange feeling it will be none of the above or some reckless appointment that puts Villa fans back in the same frame of mind as before such as Steve Bruce.

There is quite a merry go round at the moment and now Liverpool are in the hat we'll be up against them for the better choices which means I can see us losing out. We can't even tempt David Moyes these days as there is likely to be no money.

Whoever it is it'll be an improvement compared to the last incumbent but Villa fans have suddenly had to get used to a big crash in status. I think Lerner imagined one large chunk of money was all it needed to get to the top and stay there and is faced with the hard fact it isn't.
  • Options
    RightHandPillarRightHandPillar Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    My Sporting Life is a fantastic show.

Kicking Off on 5 Live is abysmal.

In my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Baker and Alan Brazil nominated in the same category for a radio award just doesn't sit well, to mention these two in the same breath something is seriously wrong, I listen to Baker all the time and I can tell you he is on another planet when it comes to presenting a radio show, just to mention Boozy in any connection to Baker is tantamount to insulting Danny's name. Thank God DB won the gold, completely and utterly deserved, a brilliant presenter on a brilliant show on a brilliant station, Brazil is light years away from ever matching anything that Baker puts out. Congratulations Danny and the team.

Best sports programme Keys & Gray?, again deserved I suppose but I would have made the winner of this category My Sporting Life by a mile, this show is the best on radio Danny Baker apart, I like Keys & Gray and have backed them since the start, I'm glad they've won something but like I say it should have been Danny Kelly's My Sporting Life in my view.

How come talkSPORT didn't win the 'Most Commercials Crammed Into Twenty Four Hours' Award?, they tried hard enough all year!, most radio stations have air time for the presenters to entertain and then segments for the commercials, ... talkSPORT do it the other way around with commercials throughout the hour with little breaks here and there for presenters to speak, try switching off your radio for a few minutes at regular intervals and I promise every time to switch back on adverts will be playing and tediously the same ones over and over. :yawn:

Didn't Goldstein win anything for his hair?, all that time he must spend on it before fronting on Sky and he gets nothing, he could have at least won a new hair dryer or something. :(

Finally the BIG one!! ... how come Moz didn't win more awards this year?, after getting rid of current affairs and introducing such fantastic overnight sports such as underwater hockey, pea shooting, relay chess, land diving, blo-ball, swamp football from the central African Republic, American NFL/NBA, Australian ladies arm wrestling, Ethiopian bicycle polo, camel racing from Egypt and Russian underwater hockey I had fully expected him to sweep the awards this year, tut tut you are wasted at talkSPORT Moz, anyway keep on wrecking the station I'm sure the RAJAR results will show increased audience figures and you'll win more plaudits however bad it gets. ;)

Just a final comment for Ronnie, yes Ronnie most of us know you will read these message-boards like a man possessed to see what nasty things are being said about you, your ego always gets the better doesn't it, - Keys & Gray Ronnie, been at the station what 2 years Ronnie?, win a gold award now tucked in the bag, yourself Ronnie?, what is it SEVEN YEARS you've been there and not so much as a sniff at a top award?, ever wonder why Ronnie?, ever really wonder why?, let me tell you why Ron, .... it's because you are god dammed AWFUL son, GOD DAMN AWFUL. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm highly dubious about these awards notwithstanding being pleased K&G won gold for their show.

When I read in another thread about one station being prepared to pull out unless they won more and the BBC less, it rather casts a big question mark over the whole proceedings and suggests that there might be a bit of fiddling going on.
    There was a rumour a year or two back that they'd threatened to pull out unless they won more and the BBC less, hence the introduction of more "commercial-friendly" categories like Best Competition and Best Promo/Commercial - neither of which they won last night.
    In fact there will soon be awards for everyone just to keep them all sweet. The fact that certain programs like H&J can be continually overlooked after years of consistently high standards makes me even more dubious.

I have never come across many things in life where someone isn't pulling strings, on the fiddle or be able to have a word in the right ear so I judge things with my own eyes and ears.

Danny Kelly is one of the best broadcasters on radio yet he hasn't even had a well done thrown in his direction. Brazil's award may not be greeted with with raturous applause by some but I like the bloke really and he's definitely got a personality unlike his sidekick. Hopefully it will make TS re-evaluate whether they will ever win the Gold with Irani on breakfast when the other half of the team is capable of winning awards. But we all know the answer to that.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark 'Mr Xenophobe' Saggers is in a bit of a pickle. Not only has an Italian manger, who employs Tevez and Balotelli, won the league with Man City, the team that Saggers really hates, but his best mate 'Arry will miss out on CL football, if Chelsea win on Saturday. But Saggers is obliged to support English teams in Europe against 'dirty foreigners'. I wonder what will win out, Saggy Baggy's love for Redknapp, or his support for the English team in Europe.

Has he actually said 'dirty foreigners'? (You've put it in quotes so I was just wondering)
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    Nice work Stan. Got the McCleish scoop a full thirty minutes before any other news outlet could confirm it.

The cloud has lifted:)

It's a sad day :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Danny Baker and Alan Brazil nominated in the same category for a radio award just doesn't sit well, to mention these two in the same breath something is seriously wrong, I listen to Baker all the time and I can tell you he is on another planet when it comes to presenting a radio show, just to mention Boozy in any connection to Baker is tantamount to insulting Danny's name. Thank God DB won the gold, completely and utterly deserved, a brilliant presenter on a brilliant show on a brilliant station, Brazil is light years away from ever matching anything that Baker puts out. Congratulations Danny and the team.

Best sports programme Keys & Gray?, again deserved I suppose but I would have made the winner of this category My Sporting Life by a mile, this show is the best on radio Danny Baker apart, I like Keys & Gray and have backed them since the start, I'm glad they've won something but like I say it should have been Danny Kelly's My Sporting Life in my view.

How come talkSPORT didn't win the 'Most Commercials Crammed Into Twenty Four Hours' Award?, they tried hard enough all year!, most radio stations have air time for the presenters to entertain and then segments for the commercials, ... talkSPORT do it the other way around with commercials throughout the hour with little breaks here and there for presenters to speak, try switching off your radio for a few minutes at regular intervals and I promise every time to switch back on adverts will be playing and tediously the same ones over and over. :yawn:

Didn't Goldstein win anything for his hair?, all that time he must spend on it before fronting on Sky and he gets nothing, he could have at least won a new hair dryer or something. :(

Finally the BIG one!! ... how come Moz didn't win more awards this year?, after getting rid of current affairs and introducing such fantastic overnight sports such as underwater hockey, pea shooting, relay chess, land diving, blo-ball, swamp football from the central African Republic, American NFL/NBA, Australian ladies arm wrestling, Ethiopian bicycle polo, camel racing from Egypt and Russian underwater hockey I had fully expected him to sweep the awards this year, tut tut you are wasted at talkSPORT Moz, anyway keep on wrecking the station I'm sure the RAJAR results will show increased audience figures and you'll win more plaudits however bad it gets. ;)

Just a final comment for Ronnie, yes Ronnie most of us know you will read these message-boards like a man possessed to see what nasty things are being said about you, your ego always gets the better doesn't it, - Keys & Gray Ronnie, been at the station what 2 years Ronnie?, win a gold award now tucked in the bag, yourself Ronnie?, what is it SEVEN YEARS you've been there and not so much as a sniff at a top award?, ever wonder why Ronnie?, ever really wonder why?, let me tell you why Ron, .... it's because you are god dammed AWFUL son, GOD DAMN AWFUL. :D

HERE HERE
  • Options
    TokyoTokyo Posts: 8,559
    Forum Member
    Irani as presenter or Eck as manager, which is worse? Tweet yer answers to TS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BrumBall wrote: »

It's a sad day :D

It might get better for you yet BB. There are some really terrible managers out there we can still pick up. ;)

Kenny Dalglish might even end up here then Alan Hansen might insist we aren't last every week on MOTD :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tokyo wrote: »
    Irani as presenter or Eck as manager, which is worse? Tweet yer answers to TS.

Eck as a presenter on Breakfast with AB don't sound that bad:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brazill v Danny Baker miss match of the decade just highlights what a sham the sonys are.Chris Evans managed to turn up for his show this morning same can't be said for Brazill what an embarrassment it used to be amusing 6 years ago him going on the lash but it's so boring.There are far more deserving presenters at TS than this excuse for a radio celebrity and l wouldn't mind betting the likes of Kelly ,Hawkesbee Keys and Gray ect look at him as a sad joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brazill v Danny Baker miss match of the decade just highlights what a sham the sonys are.Chris Evans managed to turn up for his show this morning same can't be said for Brazill what an embarrassment it used to be amusing 6 years ago him going on the lash but it's so boring.There are far more deserving presenters at TS than this excuse for a radio celebrity and l wouldn't mind betting the likes of Kelly ,Hawkesbee Keys and Gray ect look at him as a sad joke.Had to laugh at Durham tweeting last night saying "you have to question the selection committee when my sporting life failed to get an award"Didn't complain when that same committee voted TS station of the year.
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m4rk1 wrote: »
    It might get better for you yet BB. There are some really terrible managers out there we can still pick up. ;)

Kenny Dalglish might even end up here then Alan Hansen might insist we aren't last every week on MOTD :D

H&J just mentioned Mick McCarthy's odds have come in dramatically!
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ears are bleeding listening, to the King Kenny love in, Quinny just said Liverpool aren't as bad as people say, & are getting better :confused: Wot games has he been watching ? and as for Durham

When did he ever have a good word to say about Liverpool? cos I've never heard him once, Is it just cos hes sitting next to Quinny ? The blokes got more faces than the town clock !!!
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,513
    Forum Member
    Durham on the Premier League winning Arsenal Invincibles

"Were they all that?....for me....no"

Good grief.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Durham on the Premier League winning Arsenal Invincibles

"Were they all that?....for me....no"

Good grief.

Arsenal 2004 were certainly all that, that's for sure, but I agree with him about Chelsea.

I think their achievement is greater thanks to the superior amounts of wins & points total.

I've always argued this point & I always maintained that the Arsenal side of 1997/98 was better than the 03/04 team.

That Arsenal team was breathtaking, plus they came from behind to overhaul United who were massively clear at the top at the end of 1997, to go on & win the Double.
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    "Adrian Durham" is now trending on Twitter in the UK....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old oak wrote: »
    Brazill v Danny Baker miss match of the decade just highlights what a sham the sonys are.Chris Evans managed to turn up for his show this morning same can't be said for Brazill what an embarrassment it used to be amusing 6 years ago him going on the lash but it's so boring.There are far more deserving presenters at TS than this excuse for a radio celebrity and l wouldn't mind betting the likes of Kelly ,Hawkesbee Keys and Gray ect look at him as a sad joke.

It stopped being amusing Brazil not turning up about five years back and I think the guy needs help, he knows he can't be trusted anywhere near booze because he pre-books days off well before the event he's attending. Naturally deficient of brains Irani still believes we all find it hilarious when in fact I would guess most people are bored to death with it, being a personality is not someone who can drink you under the table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommywon wrote: »
    Well done Talksport for going for a break at 3pm and when they come back Spurs have taken the lead. Why did they not have a break at 2.58pm and be back for kick off. So much for Football First.

I haven't researched it but I would be confident in saying no other radio station in the UK plays more commercials than talkSPORT, if there is they should be shut down!.
This discussion has been closed.