Options

Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Why do you all think DM wears his hair so short? When we saw him as a boy, he didn't have a crew cut. And, why always a suit? Why can't DM ever wear casual clothes?

I don't need him in casual clothes myself. I love the suits--he looks so good in them. Add in boxers and t-shirt at night, and that's all the clothes DM needs! ;-)
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone said earlier that LG's character was never fully developed. I think the love interest in this series, especially in S1 and S2 was never intended to be a major plot line, just an aside to have DM take an interest in a local woman when he came to PW to be a GP with the hopes that this would be a temporary time in his life. But, in S1 in the interview for the position she was the only one at that table who spotted his lack of bedside manner and rejected him for the position. He then was intrigued by her insight to the true DM. Then slowly the chemistry between DM and LG grew to the point that this was the major plot line and his doctor skills took a backseat by S5. I credit this in large part to CC who through her acting skills and beauty made her part an important aspect to the success of the storyline with the viewers focusing almost as much on her as on MC. Although I think this is one of the great love stories, I hope that they get back to a little more "doctor healing storyline" with DM still being rude and still wearing that suit in public.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I don't need him in casual clothes myself. I love the suits--he looks so good in them. Add in boxers and t-shirt at night, and that's all the clothes DM needs! ;-)

You said it, sister! :):p:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree! However, you guys were wondering if there was a psychological reason why Louisa wore a ponytail, so I was wondering about any psychological ideas you guys might have as to why DM always wears suits, (except at bedtime) and such short hair?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    I agree! However, you guys were wondering if there was a psychological reason why Louisa wore a ponytail, so I was wondering about any psychological ideas you guys might have as to why DM always wears suits, (except at bedtime) and such short hair?

You make a great point, Renee. Why should LG's choice of hairstyle have some deeper psychological meaning and not DM's?

Maybe they're both just accustomed to the style they wear and don't feel the need to change? After all, PW isn't exactly a fashion mecca, and there doesn't appear to be pressure to follow the latest trends in the media, so it could be that LG just wears the ponytail because it suits her personal sense of style. And DM wears his hair short so he doesn't have to spend time fussing with it -- plus, it dries very quickly at that length! As for his suits ... could it be that he wants to be treated professionally at all times? If he dresses casually, then he would open himself up to more casual discussions. People would feel they could treat him like a regular bloke, but he doesn't want those kinds of relationships, so he stays in Doctor-mode at all times. Don't know.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is a bit from an exchange with the WETA blogger. I tend to agree with her take - and appreciate her honesty and enjoyment of the series.

"They had that lovely emotional moment at the very end of Series 4 and then...well, apparently decided never to talk about it again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they are ostensibly together-together now, if that makes sense, but it also seems like we've skipped right over the part where they're happy/romantic/pleased/swoony about it? Is it the moving thing that feels like it's put their relationship in a holding pattern or their continuing inability to actually have a real conversation about what they are to one another and what they want from one another? I wanted a least a tiny bit of, well, swooniness before we segued back into real-life day to day stuff and thus far other than that "I bought a fish" moment (which was actually perfect) I don't think we're getting it and that makes me sad. (I *want* to root for them, show! Let me!)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, these two have always been terrible about things like talking about feelings, but it's such a big step for Louisa to uproot her whole life for this that I think she is (and us viewers too!) are owed a moment where there's some actual joy for them. This just seems, for the most part, kind of tiring and grim. I don't mind doing a bit of the heavy lifting as a viewer and filling in some gaps, and I certainly don't want to see them skipping through a meadow of flowers holding hands or anything, but I would like to see something that reads as more than obligation."

What do you think?
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm thinking it might be his rigid childhood. His parents were strict with him. In the boarding school pictures found at AJ's farm, as a child he was (mostly) in a suit. Maybe it was instilled in him to "dress the part" of a surgeon. His short haircut completes the package.

As to LG's ponytail, hmm, I don't know. Could be she is trying to hold on to her lost childhood, wherein she had to grow up pretty fast, given her father who was , in part, a thief and her mother who left to follow her heart.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a bit from an exchange with the WETA blogger. I tend to agree with her take - and appreciate her honesty and enjoyment of the series.

"They had that lovely emotional moment at the very end of Series 4 and then...well, apparently decided never to talk about it again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they are ostensibly together-together now, if that makes sense, but it also seems like we've skipped right over the part where they're happy/romantic/pleased/swoony about it? Is it the moving thing that feels like it's put their relationship in a holding pattern or their continuing inability to actually have a real conversation about what they are to one another and what they want from one another? I wanted a least a tiny bit of, well, swooniness before we segued back into real-life day to day stuff and thus far other than that "I bought a fish" moment (which was actually perfect) I don't think we're getting it and that makes me sad. (I *want* to root for them, show! Let me!)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, these two have always been terrible about things like talking about feelings, but it's such a big step for Louisa to uproot her whole life for this that I think she is (and us viewers too!) are owed a moment where there's some actual joy for them. This just seems, for the most part, kind of tiring and grim. I don't mind doing a bit of the heavy lifting as a viewer and filling in some gaps, and I certainly don't want to see them skipping through a meadow of flowers holding hands or anything, but I would like to see something that reads as more than obligation."

What do you think?

I think she's right especially about the holding pattern and that sometimes their staying together does feel like obligation. I look deeper into the Doc's actions to grab onto the hints that his commitment is more than obligation.

Maybe his sense of obligation is what he is comfortable feeling at the beginning. He had underlying feelings about Louisa that he was just not getting to yet. She's not confident that he loves her, but is willing to let him go through his process to find out how he feels about her. She knows him well enough to realize that he needs space and time to make a decision about staying, his son, and her. At the start she thinks it's only for a couple of weeks that he will be there.

At the beginning of the series I think she wanted him to bond with his son, so was happy that he wanted them to stay together while he was still in Port Wenn. She had made the commitment to move to London, and still allowed him time to come to understand his feelings. Once she realized that he loves his son, and time marched on, she then wanted to know how he felt about her. But she may give him space for longer than she is comfortable with - that is, she needed to let her needs known sooner. Because holding back on letting him know what she needed put her into frustration.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll up on http://www.docmartinonline.net/ - If Peter Cronk got a part time job, what would he do?

Thanks to Renee for the suggestion. :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    madmother wrote: »
    New poll up on http://www.docmartinonline.net/ - If Peter Cronk got a part time job, what would he do?

Thanks to Renee for the suggestion. :):)

Hi madmother, is there any way we can look at the past polls that have been on there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member

What do you think?

I really enjoy WETA blogger’s perspective and writing skill. What touches me here is her note of sadness at how “bottled up” – joyless as she puts it - the two of them are. That is actually just the way I’m feeling now about much of season 5 - sad. I’ve been watching the series this week with my daughter, who just returned from college. It is probably about my fourth viewing – but her first. And I’m actually really enjoying this viewing, more than prior viewings – seeing little things about how DM and LG relate to each other that I missed before. But I’m also aware of a feeling of sadness about the story line – more sadness than frustration, which is how I felt during my first few viewings. WETA blogger captures that just right.

We watched episode 4 last night, and my daughter gave out such a heartfelt “aww” when DM touched LG on the cheek (the “I bought a fish” scene). Made me appreciate the brilliance of that scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, his hair has been discussed before. Someone said that surgeons in London usually wore their hair that short. And, frankly, he looks good with that haircut and I bet LG loves running her hand through the soft fuzziness of it. Or maybe that is my hand....

As for wearing suits, I think his sense of self is enhanced by wearing suits, his knowledge of what he has achieved professionally, being the top physician he was/is. Given the insecurities his childhood began, he became the best surgeon in London, earned the resulting money and although he is not very spend-thrifty at all, he used it to buy very nice things, such as top notch suits, and a great Lexus, which shows his wealth and professionalism on an exterior basis to others.

In Port Wenn, I think he probably also kind of liked being separate from the villagers in clothing, given that he sort of loathes them a great deal of the time.

I do think there is a psychological basis to LG ponytail myself, which probably will never be addressed in the show. There is no doubt also a psychological basis for DM wearing the suits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make a great point, Renee. Why should LG's choice of hairstyle have some deeper psychological meaning and not DM's?

Maybe they're both just accustomed to the style they wear and don't feel the need to change? After all, PW isn't exactly a fashion mecca, and there doesn't appear to be pressure to follow the latest trends in the media, so it could be that LG just wears the ponytail because it suits her personal sense of style. And DM wears his hair short so he doesn't have to spend time fussing with it -- plus, it dries very quickly at that length! As for his suits ... could it be that he wants to be treated professionally at all times? If he dresses casually, then he would open himself up to more casual discussions. People would feel they could treat him like a regular bloke, but he doesn't want those kinds of relationships, so he stays in Doctor-mode at all times. Don't know.....

Yep, I agree. Didn't MC say that during the time they were originally planning the show, he noticed a lot of surgeons with extremely short crew cut hairstyles? He then decided to adopt this style for DM. As you said, I assume it's because it's a no-fuss thing, a quick wash in the shower & you're good to go. About the suits, yes, I think you're right that it's a sign of his professionalism & a kind of warning to others. I see it almost as his uniform or a kind of suit of armor signifying that he's a busy professional, not available for idle chitchat, & don't try to get too close to me.

On the other hand, it's also there so us female fans can get lightheaded & call for the smelling salts on the rare occasions he removes his jacket.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Arf! Oops, sorry. For a moment there I got all clogged up with hormones.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gh21 wrote: »
    Hi madmother, is there any way we can look at the past polls that have been on there?

I think only administrators can. Were there any particular ones you were interested in - I can look and tell you what the results were.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I haven't been following much lately, so I apologize if this point was already mentioned and thoroughly discussed, but I was talking to a friend with a counseling background who just finished watching Series 5. I mentioned that I didn't warm up to LG as much in this series mostly because she seemed to have no patience for DM (who by now we all realize, as should LG, is an emotional stump). My friend said that she thinks that LG's mom coming back was a reminder to LG of the inconsistency and insecurity of the love she has had in her life and made LG really question her relationship with DM since he doesn't offer (barely) any reassurances that he loves her -- and so would she really be able to survive and thrive in such a relationship. I like that, and I've started watching again and do notice that what I perceive as a difference in LG starts after the arrival of her mother.

On another note, I just finished watching the season finale of US TV's Once Upon a Time and Prince Charming repeats to Snow White the same "I was wrong" speech that DM offers LG at the end of Series 4. It's almost word for word! DM's delivery was, of course, much better.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CopperHill wrote: »
    I haven't been following much lately, so I apologize if this point was already mentioned and thoroughly discussed, but I was talking to a friend with a counseling background who just finished watching Series 5. I mentioned that I didn't warm up to LG as much in this series mostly because she seemed to have no patience for DM (who by now we all realize, as should LG, is an emotional stump). My friend said that she thinks that LG's mom coming back was a reminder to LG of the inconsistency and insecurity of the love she has had in her life and made LG really question her relationship with DM since he doesn't offer (barely) any reassurances that he loves her -- and so would she really be able to survive and thrive in such a relationship. I like that, and I've started watching again and do notice that what I perceive as a difference in LG starts after the arrival of her mother.

On another note, I just finished watching the season finale of US TV's Once Upon a Time and Prince Charming repeats to Snow White the same "I was wrong" speech that DM offers LG at the end of Series 4. It's almost word for word! DM's delivery was, of course, much better.

I agree with this. I think she does change with the arrival of her mother, and I agree that the mother serves to remind her of how important it is to her that DM be able to provide consistent, reassuring love, and of course, he is unable to be explicit at all or even demonstrative.

also, I guess we know from MC's comments that they are not, and are not meant to be a "normal" couple, and I think it's possible that with her mother's arrival, Louisa sees Martin and their relationship from the perspective of her mother, to whom it all looks very odd, including and especially Martin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I think only administrators can. Were there any particular ones you were interested in - I can look and tell you what the results were.

Thanks for the offer but there are none in particular, it's just that sometimes I don't get to see the final result of a poll before the next one goes up.

Incidentally, have you ever had one asking "What age group are you in?"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I agree with this. I think she does change with the arrival of her mother, and I agree that the mother serves to remind her of how important it is to her that DM be able to provide consistent, reassuring love, and of course, he is unable to be explicit at all or even demonstrative.

also, I guess we know from MC's comments that they are not, and are not meant to be a "normal" couple, and I think it's possible that with her mother's arrival, Louisa sees Martin and their relationship from the perspective of her mother, to whom it all looks very odd, including and especially Martin.

Would love to see them crack this open in series six. We kind of understand DM – but getting more out of LG – and more self awareness that is expressed - will ignite the conversation about what they mean to each other. After all, LG is the one in the relationship that is supposed to have the superior communication skills, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gh21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the offer but there are none in particular, it's just that sometimes I don't get to see the final result of a poll before the next one goes up.

Incidentally, have you ever had one asking "What age group are you in?"?

Okay. Feel free to ask if you miss it.

No, would you like an age range poll?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would love to see them crack this open in series six. We kind of understand DM – but getting more out of LG – and more self awareness that is expressed - will ignite the conversation about what they mean to each other. After all, LG is the one in the relationship that is supposed to have the superior communication skills, right?

Right, the season 5 failure was by no means only on DM's shoulders. Where was all the gratitude and thanks LG should have offered him for all the help he did give, and bend over backwards to give with the care of their child? In S5 LG needed a lot and gave very little; she was too hard to judge and too little to thank. One example, DM comes home from sleeping on the moor with their child and LG SHOULD have welcomed him home graciously and thanked him effusively for helping her out and giving her quiet time alone; instead she barely looks up and then says she thinks she broke his beloved espresso machine. Yet, we constantly criticize DM for not complimenting her on her dress.

It takes two to tango and in S5, both of them were very problematic, not just DM. I hope both of them learn to be better partners in S6 and it looks like starting out, that will be the case, perhaps with them "cohabitating", again, but this time with the sex!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One wonders again about the relationship realities of S5--here are two people who are massively sexually attracted to each other. They are living together and have a baby. They sleep together and use the same bathroom and bedroom. Thus, they must see each other nekkid, showering, toweling off, brushing teeth, dressing, etc, on a day to day regular basis. And, yet, no sex between them!

Either they are both dead inside, which we know is not true, or they are in internal torture.

The more one thinks about it, the more implausible it seems. I'm glad to hear that will be righted in the next series.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay. Feel free to ask if you miss it.

No, would you like an age range poll?

I think it might be fun to have a spot in the site to see the results of all the polls. Just an idea - maybe no one else is all that bothered?
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, the season 5 failure was by no means only on DM's shoulders. Where was all the gratitude and thanks LG should have offered him for all the help he did give, and bend over backwards to give with the care of their child? In S5 LG needed a lot and gave very little; she was too hard to judge and too little to thank. One example, DM comes home from sleeping on the moor with their child and LG SHOULD have welcomed him home graciously and thanked him effusively for helping her out and giving her quiet time alone; instead she barely looks up and then says she thinks she broke his beloved espresso machine. Yet, we constantly criticize DM for not complimenting her on her dress.

It takes two to tango and in S5, both of them were very problematic, not just DM. I hope both of them learn to be better partners in S6 and it looks like starting out, that will be the case, perhaps with them "cohabitating", again, but this time with the sex!

When I had my first baby I leaned on my husband a lot. As soon as he got home from work I asked him to do something. While I don't remember how long that went on for, it probably went on for a few months. Louisa is not the same type of mother I am, but I guess I can understand a little bit about her shortness with him. But I agree that she doesn't seem appreciative of all he is doing for her sometimes.

I know when my mother in law (God rest her soul) was there I was very nervous. So in a way I can relate to the emotional shock that it must have been for Louisa when her mother showed up out of the blue. And then on top of that not knowing where the relationship is going, and her mother poisoning her thoughts about Martin, I would find that stressful. It was brave of the producers to not make her the best mother in the world and not make him the worst father, but make them both struggling to cope with their own demons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One wonders again about the relationship realities of S5--here are two people who are massively sexually attracted to each other. They are living together and have a baby. They sleep together and use the same bathroom and bedroom. Thus, they must see each other nekkid, showering, toweling off, brushing teeth, dressing, etc, on a day to day regular basis. And, yet, no sex between them!

Either they are both dead inside, which we know is not true, or they are in internal torture.

The more one thinks about it, the more implausible it seems. I'm glad to hear that will be righted in the next series.

Well, we can only hope.:p I guess we'll know for sure in the first episode if there's any sign of those damn pajamas!:eek:
This discussion has been closed.