Options

The Bridge BBC4 (UK pace) No spoilers!

Comments

• Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    what made Saga walk up and down that path that led to her finding 'August? could she hear/see something suspicious?

She must have been thinking about the building plans and the cement in the sink while looking for plausible places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I can only go by what I am told, nomad2king, and I can only assume that BBC4 got Inspector Montalbano at a bargain basement price! :D

It looks promising, chucky907. It stars good ol' Rolf Lassgård as the lead character, Sebastian Bergman, who is a flawed criminal psychologist - someone with character and history shall we say without going into any spoiler details.

It comprises 2x 90 minute episodes and it was first shown on SVT Swedish Television in 2010 under the title Den fördömde which is so similar to the Norwegian Den fordømte that I know it means The Condemned although the subtitled BBC4 version appears to be going by the name of the main character.

I think we're in for a treat and at least we've got more Scandi drama to keep us going. :)

PS If anyone wants to learn more then copy and paste Den fördömde into a search engine.

PPS So who's going to start up a new no-spoilers thread for us? :)

Is there more after Seb Bergman on bbc4 or end ?
  • Options
    WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was two hours of great tv. It took us everywhere once Jens confirmed as TT and that as suggested by many, Martin had shagged his wife.

Enough open ended situations to go forward into series two and as I thought, Saga continued to grow very fond of Martin and that she did go out on a limb to not necessarily save him, perhaps too obvious, but save his career and freedom. Loved the way she just put her hand on his hand in the car, when he began to brrakdown and again the extent of the unmentioned bond at the end in hospital. But he did get her to admit she missed him when he didn't stay at hers. She cancelled her complaint against him, as much about what she has learnt from him and the emotions demonstrated as she shed the tear for Hans leaving. Just made me love her more.

Whilst Martin taught her how to lie, he knew that he could ask her to state the full lie otherwise she would cave and she did. Thought it was strange she managed not to tell the team of Martin and Jens wife, particularly after she knew Martin had told Mette. Saga must have taken and hidden the boxes with Mikaela's things, where the diary gave the game away. The team were struggling and she again remained loyal. Was shocked when she was shot by Jens, but clever in playing dead, still using her determination to get up and note the car and enough of the reg no, before the weird eye roll and collapse.

So it was all about the betrayal leading to the unbearable loss of his son and the extreme way to exact ultimate revenge, including those involved in the police and prosecution failures along the way. Alot of incidental stories built in along the way and some really irrelevant other than to confuse and intrigue. Once the point was revealed, it was concluded well, with emotions left open and unknown which way they'll end.

Overall, it's been unmissable viewing and will continue to wonder how the two forces and importantly, Saga and Martin be teamed together again. With Hans off, doubt Martin would move to Malmo, even if Mette divorces him and would he be considered for the job? Come what may it's going to be a hard series to repeat and take forward, but Saga is wonderful and should remain the way we love her being, although, the conversations after her interaction education, were often priceless comedy and should continue here and there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The journey was better than the destination.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofia Helin and Kim Bodnia were excellent and they have to keep them together for Bron/Broen 2

At times it was not clear if they were in Denmark or Sweden but I thought stuff it does it really matter.

I have to admit that I was not keen on the son who did bugger all apart from using electricity and if I was his Father I would have kicked him out long ago.

As soon as they got on the train it was clear where they were going.

Fantastic photography and that sound track { Hollow Talk } is a cracker.

Its rare that I watch anything live but I wanted to see it in HD and its handy having two episodes per week - well done the BBC for picking it up in the first place.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    what made Saga walk up and down that path that led to her finding 'August? could she hear/see something suspicious?

Great finale. nail biting stuff. specially as it could have been wound up with episode 9 but they made another full blown episode that really worked.
    It was something to do with the number of paces indicating that the internal external dimensions did not match. Or there was something about a window that was visible from the the outside but had not been seen from the inside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    djvizsla wrote: »
    The journey was better than the destination.

The above sums it up perfectly for me too! What a great journey it was.

Looking forward to next weeks offering now - I hope the BBC4 people re-think their decision on offering us some 'vintage' quality Scandi crime dramas too. I am very keen on seeing some!
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff, but I have a question. Does the assembled populace think that August was actually in the box behind the wall? There were clues that he was (same sort of box, the look on Sebastian's face when he said "I'm impressed") but there were also hints that he wasn't (box was vertical but August seemed to be lying down, no smell of paint and plaster was hard, we never saw what was in the box when they opened it).

Saga trying so hard to lie to Martin was just brilliant telly!

K
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    It was something to do with the number of paces indicating that the internal external dimensions did not match. Or there was something about a window that was visible from the the outside but had not been seen from the inside.

Yes that was the way I read it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame the Brits can't write drama of the quality that the Scandanavians can. A gripping and intelligent programme. Loved it.
  • Options
    KleistKleist Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    The secret compartment idea was used by Conan Doyle in the Norwood Builder
    http://www.online-literature.com/doyle/return_sherlock/2/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame the Brits can't write drama of the quality that the Scandanavians can. A gripping and intelligent programme. Loved it.

We can and we frequently do. It's just that we probably only see the best of the Scandi stuff whereas we also see all the Brit dross too.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame we never got to hear anything about Stefan's scars or Charlotte's wig.
    Yes, I was a bit disappointed that all the stuff that seemed important in the first 7 episodes didn't matter to the last 2. They had spent a lot of time and detail on those characters. However, for me the ending turned on the two leads, especially Saga's development and ability to lie and Martin's inability to keep his trousers on, and so the role of those other characters was to bring that stuff out.
    So Jens did not necessarily know about the vasectomy; the kick in "the scrotum" could just have been part of the revenge!
    Surely August would have told him.
    Bit odd that Jens could kill those Policeman tonight and previously at the office/warehouse but could not kill Saga.
    He tried, and thought he'd succeeded, but his bullet happened to miss vital organs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    xynaria wrote: »
    So how come they only did Vol1?..don't tell me....................no one bought it cos no one had heard of it.........;)

you can get all the unit eps as dvds on that site. think it is 3-4 volumes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I'm still a bit shell shocked because of the bleak ending. Although it's probably using the word out of context, l'd describe the ending as dystopian. :cry:

I've already had this discussion with senior BBC4 management. Basically, they don't like what they regard as old stuff no matter how high the quality. For example, they refused to show the older Rolf Lassgård Wallander episodes. :(

If a series is more than a decade old then it's unlikely to be shown and they seem to prefer series that are less than half a dozen years old - it has to be "contemporary".

Okay , a little strange but okay :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really going to miss this. Although the plot wasn't quite as tight, I grew to like the main characters far more than those in The Killing.

What's next? Any news on when BBC might show Borgen 2?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denley wrote: »
    but where are Kerstin Ekwall's legs.....? and no Charlotte at all, so we'll never know why the wig?! :eek:

They found Ekwall's legs in the Meat Warehouse at the end of episode 2. The note about victims was pinned to them.
  • Options
    shadforthshadforth Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RM83 wrote: »
    I'm really going to miss this. Although the plot wasn't quite as tight, I grew to like the main characters far more than those in The Killing.

What's next? Any news on when BBC might show Borgen 2?

Spiral Season 4?
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be happy to watch Scandi drama from more than 10 years ago if the writing, acting, production etc. are of decent quality.

Unfortunately a lot of people are more concerned with other aspects than quality of the content. Some would complain about aspect ratio or lack of HD and refuse to watch on principle.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,438
    Forum Member
    chucky907 wrote: »
    Is there more after Seb Bergman on bbc4 or end ?

Sorry, no idea, chucky907, but details of the first Sebastian Bergman episode are now available below:

Sebastian Bergman
    The Cursed One: Part 1
    Episode image for The Cursed One: Part 1
    Episode 1 of 2
    Duration: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Brilliant, difficult and politically incorrect, Sebastian Bergman is one of Sweden's leading police profilers. His life and and career are on the skids when he returns to his home town, two weeks late for his mother's funeral but just in time to help the local police solve the brutal murder of a 15-year-old boy.

In Swedish with English subtitles
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jg0nt
  • Options
    1066andallthat1066andallthat Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw a close up of August's eyes - they were open and he wasn't blinking. Maybe that was just before they pulled him out...

I thought he looked dead but hoped he wasn't.

That was before Saga realised that he was behind the false wall.

However, (and I'll need to re-check on iPlayer) if he was indeed vertical I think he must have been levitating when he banged his feet against the bottom of the "coffin".:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was before Saga realised that he was behind the false wall.

However, (and I'll need to re-check on iPlayer) if he was indeed vertical I think he must have been levitating when he banged his feet against the bottom of the "coffin".:eek:

Yes that was weird. I would say he was definitely lying down when we saw him in there. That was a bit of a boob I think. I will go back and look too.

edit - yes it's at 21.00 and he definitely doesn't look like he's standing in the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From inside the window lines up with the fake wall exactly. From outside the brickwork went on for about another 3 feet (or, I suppose, they would say one metre!).
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved this show. Saga is a great character and the relationship between her and Martin was really nicely developed, especially the thread running through the series about her inability to lie culminating in her having to lie to Martin about August not being dead. Brilliant stuff.

Likewise I thought it was a bit out of character when Martin had sex with Charlotte Soringer until we realised that he has a history of infidelity and, of course, was revealed as the man Jens' wife was having an affair with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susurrate wrote: »
    The above sums it up perfectly for me too! What a great journey it was.

Looking forward to next weeks offering now - I hope the BBC4 people re-think their decision on offering us some 'vintage' quality Scandi crime dramas too. I am very keen on seeing some!

Didn't BBC4 show Abigail's party a while back? Seems that they make the rules up as they go along. Nothing wrong with vintage drama as long as it's not too fuzzy.