Options

Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Simple. Do as they do on, for instance, Eggheads, and just keep quiet about saying it's Monday, Tuesday etc. or pretending it's someone's birthday when it isn't.

Now explain what harm it does (apart from irritating you).

Eggheads is different anyway because its series are often repeated months or years later so it's made with that market in mind. Countdown generally isn't repeated past the week of its initial transmission.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    Simple. Do as they do on, for instance, Eggheads, and just keep quiet about saying it's Monday, Tuesday etc. or pretending it's someone's birthday when it isn't.

They know which day each episode will be shown on so it's perfectly fine to say it's someone's birthday etc.
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should put a warning up at the start of Eastenders and Corrie and say it's not really Christmas, easter, or whatever cos this was filmed weeks ago
  • Options
    Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't take long for Lesley to start singing

She's so annoying

I didn't think it would be long before someone complained about Lesley. Personally, I think she is a gorgeous,lovely lady with a terrific voice. She's been away from Countdown for too long.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think it would be long before someone complained about Lesley. Personally, I think she is a gorgeous,lovely lady with a terrific voice. She's been away from Countdown for too long.

I muted her today.:eek:
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems as though my mute button will be working overtime this week when it's the turn of the guest in Dictionary Corner. :D
    I thought from what Lesley said at the start of the programme she was going to tell a cricket story, but sadly not to be.
    Lesley may well be a gorgeous lovely lady, but she needs to cut down the trilling on a non-singing show.
  • Options
    Stephen AStephen A Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pountch wrote: »
    Hey Countdown fans! I am doing a research on television for my master thesis, I wonder if you could help me out, I am in particular need for tv fans. The survey is 5-10mins max, i've been told it's fun to take. I could really use your help: https://erasmushcc.qualtrics.com/SE/...AbgMLPzS6bqwyo

Link is dead for me
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least Miss Garrett is getting a good plug in for her her album
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granted Lesley is a good singer, but the sound of her combined with that smug look on her face is irritating.
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Granted Lesley is a good singer

Not from what I heard today, or perhaps it was supposed to be a comedy routine. She's an unrefined belter.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand the negativity towards Lesley Garret. She's a singer and she sings, much better than the boring anecdotes we usually get from the guests.

And she sings well, far better than the noise we get from most of the reality show contestants!
  • Options
    Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are very few guests I don't FF through these days but for this one I am poised with my finger on the button even before the first numbers game is explained. Can't stand her; can't explain why.

Hammond is another one that gets the same treatment. I did enjoy JSP last week and Chris Packham who I'd never heard of before. Angela Rippon was disappointing, for a consummate professional she seemed to have spent no time preparing her anecdotes to tell them to best effect and her mangling of Eric Morecambe's exchange with Andre Previn was unforgivable. Everybody of a certain age watching knew the line by heart, but she didn't.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to mute her again today:eek:
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was I the only person to get an eight-letter word from

A B E I R T T S X

(sorry, I can't remember the order the letters appeared on-screen, so I've listed them alphabetically.)
    Birettas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel looking gorgeous and 'virginal' in white today. And a rather large breasted lady contestant in a low cut top!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another low cut top for the big boobed contestant lady!
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least Miss Garrett is getting a good plug

Id give her a good plug :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Id give her a good plug :o

Good God!:o With those bizarre gurning facial expressions when she sings I dread to think of her 'sex face'!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    definitely muted her 2 days in a row. so cringeworthy
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Rachel looking gorgeous and 'virginal' in white today. And a rather large breasted lady contestant in a low cut top!

Am I alone in finding "virginal" rather an improbable adjective here...?.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n1ko0 wrote: »
    definitely muted her 2 days in a row. so cringeworthy
    She was always awful on Loose Women and often had a bit of a screeching warble!!
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite bemused by the people that say Lesley Garret sounds awful. Who on earth do they think sounds good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I'm quite bemused by the people that say Lesley Garret sounds awful. Who on earth do they think sounds good?

I don't know but a good start is understanding the words people are singing and you can't with her ear splitting screeching!
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

Ahhh Countdown. A wonderful, easy going programme, Nick warming up nicely, maybe a laugh at the occasional anecdote if the guest is good, a steady flicker of brain activity during the words and numbers, not forgetting general admiration of Rachel's er, brain, nothing too taxing! Then you and your cat wonder why your ears are hurting. It's Lesley, with her LAAAAAA! sudden, spasmodic shrilling, LAAAA! in the middle of a sentence. Sorry but it's out of context, the studio's too small, and a brutal assault on the senses!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nick has improved since he started but he does come out with the odd cringeworthy comment. Like today when he said, "Go on Mark, increase your lead", to the challenger. He's meant to be impartial. If I'd have been Susie(incumbent champion) I'd have been most offended. You could even see Rachel look at the current champion in a kind of awkward 'sorry about him' kind of way.
This discussion has been closed.