Options

Great British Menu 2012

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,356
    Forum Member
    I'm also from the Midlands :)

The fish dishes have come from Aktar Islam and Glynn Purnell who are both Birmingham-based chefs.

As far as I can tell, the Central region is basically the West Midlands and the East Midlands combined (there's been a chef based in Ludlow and another from Cambridge in recent years - not sure I'd count Cambridge as the Midlands though).

I think counties such as Lincolnshire and Derbyshire might be split though, not too sure on that one.

Cambridge is definitely not in the Midlands.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Welcome to the board/thread I agree with you!
    Whodini wrote: »
    Thank you very much.

This thread has been as entertaining as the show.
    Often the way - also with Masterchef and the Apprentice ;)

Welcome from me too, Whodini. I also agree with you wholeheartedly.

Incidentally, as well as Masterchef and the Apprentice, Four in a Bed is always a terrific friendly thread.

I'm also from the Midlands :)

As far as I can tell, the Central region is basically the West Midlands and the East Midlands combined (there's been a chef based in Ludlow and another from Cambridge in recent years - not sure I'd count Cambridge as the Midlands though).

I live in Norfolk, and certainly would never class Cambridge as Central. But "Central" also includes Norfolk & Suffolk!!! So if Galton Blackiston from Morston Hall in North Norfolk was still competing, he would come under Central. Ridiculous. It is the equivalent of Cheltenham being included in Wales!
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one ever really knows what to do with Lincolnshire, either.

Colin McGurran with restaurant in Scunthorpe won the North East heat :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    This week has been the best for me. Paul always amazes me with his creations and the standard seems so much better with these three, though I guess it's personal taste for me.

It's been a really good week so far with a really high standard of cooking, and much as I love Nathan, I think Paul is really nailing the brief - his food looks and sounds lovely, plus the added flair of his presentation - he seems to be the one out of all the heats that's pretty much covered most aspects of the, ever changing depending on which way the wind's blowing, brief. Simon seems nice enough, although the thought of caramel with peas is making me feel slightly ill :(

Definately got Paul and Nathan down as restaurants I will visit if ever in that area, absolutely love most seafood and I'd imagine dining at Nathan's place would be a complete pleasure
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week has been the best so far in my opinion. Paul's main course looked fantastic last night, and I'm looking forward to seeing how he can turn feta cheese into a dessert! Personally I love salty-sweet combinations and I can't wait to see what he produces.

I feel a little sorry for Simon this week, as he's obviously tried his hardest to be imaginative, but it's fallen flat - however he's up against some really stiff competition.

Overall the brief this year has been very confusing and the results chaotic. I hate the sound of some of the "chemistry" techniques and I wouldn't order anything from a menu that sounded like it came out of a test-tube, but like Agent Kryek said, this week's chef's have got it just right I think, with unusual combinations but great-tasting (I assume!) food being the priority.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Why did the voiceover say Simon was on 13 points at the start of the show, when he was on 12?

Using work-experience-voiceover-bod :rolleyes:

Talking about which… I have had a longstanding beef with the written descriptions of the dishes compared to how the chefs actually describe their food…

So is it that the chefs submit a spec of their dishes some time beforehand which is used to create the titles… but then they describe slightly differently… maybe because they have re-thought one or two things about the dish…

:confused: Or the person who does the titling is ridiculously inept at transcribing what they hear…
    Cambridge is definitely not in the Midlands.

I would say that Cambridge is to the Midlands…

what fois gras is to the great British ingredient… :D

It’s fairly obv that they have difficulty in getting the correct number of chefs for each region (why... we can’t be that bereft…) so they first do the ones that they cannot move… and then ascribe chefs to varying other regions to get it all to fit…

Then again, maybe it’s the way they ‘teach’ geography these days :mad:

I do think it’s Paul FTW.

A lot sorry for Nathan as I would love him to get something into the banquet at long last... I do think he deserves it...

A bit sorry for Simon but I just can’t see his soul (sole ;) ) in his food… to me it’s coming across very much as an intellectual exercise…

And as for that toffee pea ‘mousse’ that was more like a set jelly :p … Saw another continuity glitch yesterday… they are discussing his pea mousse while he is preparing them (cutting the hole in the middle)… they start with 4 mousses (mice…) one with a hole, then you see 4 with holes… then they do a close up… and we’re back to one hole… :rolleyes:

So continuity bod must be a registered blind citizen to keep up the appropriate quotas :o

At long last the final heat tonight...

Awaiting next week with interest... I think we may be in for some twist on Monday... just saying...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Talking about which… I have had a longstanding beef with the written descriptions of the dishes compared to how the chefs actually describe their food…

So is it that the chefs submit a spec of their dishes some time beforehand which is used to create the titles… but then they describe slightly differently… maybe because they have re-thought one or two things about the dish…
    They must send a spec dish/recipe and description as the photos they use in the roundup look like a perfect representation of what the chef wanted and then on the pass the dishes can sometimes look very different.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

:confused:

Quite often, the dish shown immediately after the chef has first presented his ideas, and explained what he plans to do, doesn't match what's then tasted.

I've got a mind like a sieve (:rolleyes:) but I recall one where the chef had a bit of a 'mare and something failed to set. However, the first shot we had of the dish showed it to be perfect! The producers can't have just taken a shot of the Friday version as only two chefs go through.

Is the "perfect" dish done before or after the "real" cooking, or does someone from the props department knock one up using plaster and paint? :confused:

Sorry degsyhufc ... I didn't mean to repeat what you'd just said ... I was busy composing while you were busy posting! :D
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    I thought we'd heard of everything but - toffee pea mousse? :eek:

He missed a trick by not 'spherifying' it! :o
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    No seafood from Nathan today? Not even Sea Buckthorn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More savoury puddings?

Paul is really enjoying himself today
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh, I do like strawberry sorbet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Ooh, I do like strawberry sorbet.

Nathans dessert sounds and looks delicious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Paul should just have gone with the disk. I don't really see the point of the rest.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh does the tart have a soggy bottom? (Too much watching Great British Bake Off!)
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nathans dessert sounds and looks delicious
    Seconded. :)
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could they not shut up about 'pushing boundaries' and 'ground breaking?' What about wonderful food with a wonderful taste?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmm. I'd definitely order Nathan's dessert but I'm not sure it's right for the competition.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the dessers look fab tonight.

Somewhere Aktar is looking at Simon's tourch flaming away and sobbing slightly.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could they not shut up about 'pushing boundaries' and 'ground breaking?' What about wonderful food with a wonderful taste?
    But "pushing boundaries" and being "ground breaking" are the theme! ;) Oh yes- and going for gold...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon's won today, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So anyone know what he actual final scores are?
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But "pushing boundaries" and being "ground breaking" are the theme! ;) Oh yes- and going for gold...

I get that, but I don't have to like it. I like wonderful food, not all this stupid ornamental stuff. I think what they've been doing personifies what the dis-credited Olympics have come to be about - an elite experience, enjoyed by the few but paid for by the masses.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They've painted themselves into a corner with the brief. If you follow the brief about being innovative and pushing boundries then you shouldn't be able to put standard restuarant dishes up to be judged and expect to be awarded top marks (if they follow the brief).

It's all a bit of a mess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Outlaw you are a lucky man