Options

HDR FOX-T2 - USB copy problem

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Afternoon all,

Has anyone else encountered a problem whereby some SD TV (I haven't tried copying HD TV programmes) and radio recordings refuse to copy to a USB memory stick?

This seems to be an intermittent problem for me - some programmes will copy to a USB stick, some won't - and I can see no obvious reason why this should be the case; it manifests itself as an, apparent, initial acceptance of the "copy" command (i.e. the "File added for copy" banner is shown); however, the "Copying * " message goes off within a couple of seconds and the file remains uncopied.

This happens irrespective of:
- the timed length of a programme
- the number/type of characters in the programme name
- the recorded date
- the type of programme (TV or radio)
- the physical capacity of the USB stick (provided it has sufficient space for the file to be copied)

I have also found that it happens with different instances of the same programme recorded on different dates which leads me to wonder if there is something embedded in the programme file which restricts copying (which would be odd given the random nature of the failure).

Hardware/firmware is a standard 500GB HDR FOX-T2 running official firmware 1.02.20 (I haven't and won't try upgrading to 1.02.27 until it is released officially). I have also tried this with a variety of FAT32-formatted USB sticks but not with an external USB drive as I don't have one to hand.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thought that comes to mind is that there is a character in the file name that isn't valid on a FAT32 file name. I am fairly sure that there is no restriction on copying SD programs; the HDR actually decrypts recordings whilst copying (HD programs cannot be decrypted with the standard software but can still be copied for backup purposes). Have you tried enabling the FTP server and copying them off by FTP (they will still be encrypted but it might demonstrate if the file name was a problem)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Martin,

Thanks for the input; strange characters don't seem to be an obvious cause as I've successfully copied files with commas, colons, semi-colons, aspostrophes and hyphens ... and, equally, failed to do so as well. Given that the resulting filename comes out in DOS 8.3 format on the USB stick, that doesn't appear to be an issue.

FTP is the one thing I haven't tried doing as I still haven't gotten around to hooking my box to my router - sad but true especially as I've had it for over a year.

I'll have to give that one a go and, if successful, I might try copying back and forth again to see if I can persuade the box to release a decoded SD file (I'd rather my backups were playable on my computer than having to rely on FTPing or copying back to the Humax for replay).

Thanks again
    Dave
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have to give that one a go and, if successful, I might try copying back and forth again to see if I can persuade the box to release a decoded SD file
    You will need the user community firmware to get a decoded recording if you can't copy to USB.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else encountered a problem whereby some SD TV (I haven't tried copying HD TV programmes) and radio recordings refuse to copy to a USB memory stick?
    Have a go at playing the programme and then press the stop button on the remote to stop playback. And then have another go at copying.
    (My thinking is that this may be some sort of variation of the 'it thinks it is still playing' feature.)

Have you also tryed just leaving it for a few minutes after the the "Copying * " message goes off? The removal of the message does not always mean that the copy process has stopped/finished. Sometimes it is still continuing in the background.

I wonder if the hmt file for the programme is corrupt. Using FTP you may be able to get closer to have a look.