Options

government work programme puts black cloud over jubilee

Comments

• Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Conditions aside, all this Work Programme/(non) apprenticeship rubbish is undermining what little real jobs there are.

My son has been working it IT for two years on various contracts. With his current contract due to finish soon, he applied for a position with much less pay than he is used to but had the advantage of being permanent. The company looked very good and they were very impressed with his cv and samples of his work. On finding out the location and cost of travel, my son decided to withdraw his application. The company practically begged him to come for an interview, insisting that for someone of his calibre, they were prepared to negotiate.

So he spent a small fortune to get to the interview and all went well until he was asked his age. Upon discovering he was only 19, the whiff of government grants and free labour proved too much for them and they proceeded to downgrade everything they were previously raving about in an attempt to bamboozle him into some shoddy work experience. Needless to say, my son told them where they could put their offer.
    Good for your son
    the WP is a flop as it doesn't make a difference
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    So lowest-common-denominator wins, ethics be darned?

Read my posts, thats not what I said.

LCD only wins if it has general support. Both on the output side and the supply side. You cant have your cake and eat it, or not for long, without affecting the strength of your economy either in terms of employment or currency strength.

If you wish to provide high wages, they will lead to high prices. Its inevitable. If you want cheap goods from abroad, expect high unemployment, where wage inflation will fall.

That is the price of an artificial wage rate, and we are now seeing it kick in. Its not idealism, its market reality.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Auld Snody wrote: »
    Ah if you do not support the exploitation of the unemployed , you are anti British and hate the Queen, and most probably a traitor to boot :D

Bizarre isn't it? I enjoyed watching the event but I don't like to think people down on their luck were exploited by some securty firm either.Plus you can bet the firm involved wasn't shy in billing us. Somehow that makes me some anti-British feminist lesbian who hates the Queen(even though I'm male) in the right wing boys book of politics. :D
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is The Guardian's consistency on moral matters such as exploitation.

http://order-order.com/2012/06/06/guardian-begging-bowl-backfires/

Lessons will be learned.
    Point proven. The right wingers are getting desperate and have to resort to desperate measures to try to deny and smear this scandal.

So, as I asked before, why are the Government and right wing commentators being so defensive - what have they got to hide?
  • Options
    ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah if you do not support the exploitation of the unemployed , you are anti British and hate the Queen, and most probably a traitor to boot :D
    Get over yourself with this traitor nonsense old chap.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Ewww, it's suddenly become very toadying and sycophantic in the thread! :D
    Some people can be so touchy :o
  • Options
    Mr.HumphriesMr.Humphries Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Point proven. The right wingers are getting desperate and have to resort to desperate measures to try to deny and smear this scandal.

So, as I asked before, why are the Government and right wing commentators being so defensive - what have they got to hide?

Perhaps they have been to The Guardian School of Morality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So, let me get this straight: you've all spoken to these people and none of them ever wanted to come to the Jubilee because they have no time for the Queen? They all were frog marched onto the bus and told that's what they had to do? Not one of them actually wanted to put themselves to good use and honour someone they have admired all of their lives? Oh no, not one of them?

Are those the facts?
  • Options
    Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read my posts, thats not what I said.

LCD only wins if it has general support. Both on the output side and the supply side. You cant have your cake and eat it, or not for long, without affecting the strength of your economy either in terms of employment or currency strength.

If you wish to provide high wages, they will lead to high prices. Its inevitable. If you want cheap goods from abroad, expect high unemployment, where wage inflation will fall.

That is the price of an artificial wage rate, and we are now seeing it kick in. Its not idealism, its market reality.
    Strange but it is not, or rather the devil is in the detail, cheap goods. One way to compete with cheap goods made with exploitative wages is to pay your workers for their ability to produce quality goods. You do not attempt to compete with low quality , mass produced goods supplied by countries with poor worker protection, you produce far superior goods manufactured by a well educated, motivated workforce. You play to your strengths not to your opponents. Trouble with most right leaning people on here is that they fail to see that cost is not the absolute determinant .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    Get over yourself with this traitor nonsense old chap.:p

Certainly old boy, as soon as you stop with the nonsense posts:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, let me get this straight: you've all spoken to these people and none of them ever wanted to come to the Jubilee because they have no time for the Queen? They all were frog marched onto the bus and told that's what they had to do? Not one of them actually wanted to put themselves to good use and honour someone they have admired all of their lives? Oh no, not one of them?

Are those the facts?

You missed the fact that they were not all paid for their labours, and the ones that were, we're paid a pittance. Asking to be paid at least the NMW does not make you a traitor;)
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange but it is not, or rather the devil is in the detail, cheap goods. One way to compete with cheap goods made with exploitative wages is to pay your workers for their ability to produce quality goods. You do not attempt to compete with low quality , mass produced goods supplied by countries with poor worker protection, you produce far superior goods manufactured by a well educated, motivated workforce. You play to your strengths not to your opponents. Trouble with most right leaning people on here is that they fail to see that cost is not the absolute determinant .

They also seem to ignore the one pertinent fact.

Average house pricing at 8 times the CURRENT average salary.

We cant have a race to the bottom , because our infrastructures base cost of living precludes it. You see, if a company pays someone £2 an hour, that isnt enough to live on, so guess who picks up the tab. Tax payers, in working tax credits.

Superwomble is basically asking for less cost to business at the expense of drastic raises in taxation to cover the benefits required to make up for the wages defecit.

In other words, the largest corporate benefit scheme in history.

Its odd that people being subsidised by tax is 'scroungers' and bad, but businesses being subsidised by massive benefit expenditure is some panacea.

That, or the poster in question hasnt a clue of the economics of the lowest wages possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too young ecco. I hope that you had a lovely time. Republicans vanquished! We love our Queen.
    I did thank you Mr Humphries, I am sure you did too! Long live our Britannic Majesty. This has been a wonderful weekend and I've been so proud to be British. We need more of this: move the May Day holiday to make it a Pride of Britain day, and add another in the Autumn for our wonderful armed forces. I'm fed up with all this slagging off of our country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That, or the poster in question hasnt a clue of the economics of the lowest wages possible.

That, I think, could be the answer
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What black cloud?
    Other than the rain clouds?
    As other posters said, it was a great four days and we all thoroughly enjoyed the Jubilee.

Next time they should ask for volenteers and I reckon there will be thousands who would apply as they would get the chance to attend and get their transport costs paid.

Isn't that what is happening with the olympics?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did thank you Mr Humphries, I am sure you did too! Long live our Britannic Majesty. This has been a wonderful weekend and I've been so proud to be British. We need more of this: move the May Day holiday to make it a Pride of Britain day, and add another in the Autumn for our wonderful armed forces. I'm fed up with all this slagging off of our country.
    Yep people who slag of GB are traitors. It is a sign of a mature democracy that people can question and , if needed, criticise the established order of things, it is one of the things that makes Britain , Great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Moaning is British. It's our character! And I'm proud of Britain the way it is, thank you. I'm fed up of people trying to subvert that pride and turn us into some sort of jingoistic militarised nation to further some nefarious and shady political agenda. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What black cloud?
    Other than the rain clouds?
    As other posters said, it was a great four days and we all thoroughly enjoyed the Jubilee.

Next time they should ask for volenteers and I reckon there will be thousands who would apply as they would get the chance to attend and get their transport costs paid.

Even volunteers should be protected from people who wish to exploit them , simply to line their own pockets. Why pick on the volunteers , pick on the morally bankrupt, carpet bagging , corporate welfare cheats. Why do the unemployed have to be whiter than white but he corporate welfare cheats have to be immune from the moral consensus .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep people who slag of GB are traitors. It is a sign of a mature democracy that people can question and , if needed, criticise the established order of things, it is one of the things that makes Britain , Great.

I think some people just hate Britain, our democracy and what we stand for.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Moaning is British. It's our character! And I'm proud of Britain the way it is, thank you. I'm fed up of people trying to subvert that pride and turn us into some sort of jingoistic militarised nation to further some nefarious and shady political agenda. :p

Agreed.

But wouldn't you agree that there's just as much of an agenda on show from those who constantly moan about the country?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Companies getting fat contracts and cutting costs by using "volunteers". :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even volunteers should be protected from people who wish to exploit them , simply to line their own pockets. Why pick on the volunteers , pick on the morally bankrupt, carpet bagging , corporate welfare cheats. Why do the unemployed have to be whiter than white but he corporate welfare cheats have to be immune from the moral consensus .

I think the point about being a volunteer is that volunteers are quite happy to put up with what's being offered.

Why the hell should it be up to anyone else to take issue on their behalf?
    Mind your own business and let people mind theirs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are those the facts?
    Is this a joke? Because I'm missing the punchline.

The vast majority - royalist or republican - have seen what the individuals have gone through and been disgusted at how these individuals have been treated. Without the need to bring the Queen or patriotism into it.

If it is considered patriotic to be exploited, messed about and stripped of dignity, think I'll launch a raft to a civilised society that gives a damn to people doing work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point about being a volunteer is that volunteers are quite happy to put up with what's being offered.

Why the hell should it be up to anyone else to take issue on their behalf?
    Mind your own business and let people mind theirs.
    They are entitled to legal protection from the law even if unpaid. And even then, I would be skepitcal of any claims made to save face by the organisations concerned.
  • Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I absolutely agree in principle, but it isnt actually what has been happening. Far east countries like China have been waging an economic war against us - they have not only been producing cheap goods, they have been completely eliminating all competition by pricing it utterly out of the market.

To defend ourselves against such tactics we needed to level the playing field at the country level, not at the domestic wages level, which is basically artificial, and absolutely playing to the strengths of the importers. Now that they have the upper hand, and the debts are with us - we are being very limited in our room to maneouvre, and are being forced to play them at their own game instead.

The important thing was not to put ourselves at debt disadvantage in the first place. It weakens our hand.