Options

Anyone remember "The Upper Hand"

spm2012spm2012 Posts: 219
Forum Member
I am watching it on DVD right now and forgot how wonderful it was, a real feel good family sitcom with a great cast. Honour Blackman steals every scene she is in as the foxy Laura.:D

I wonder what become of Kellie Bright and the boy?

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love this programme. I used to fancy the dad....cant remember which of the McGann brothers he is but I always thought he was well fit :)
  • Options
    spm2012spm2012 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I used to love this programme. I used to fancy the dad....cant remember which of the McGann brothers he is but I always thought he was well fit :)

Its Joe, he always pops up on Loose Women and other daytime chatshows, he still does theatre and stuff.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spm2012 wrote: »
    I am watching it on DVD right now and forgot how wonderful it was, a real feel good family sitcom with a great cast. Honour Blackman steals every scene she is in as the foxy Laura.:D

This from wikipedia:

Kellie Bright (born 1 July 1976, Essex, England) is an actress who is known for her roles as a child actress on British television in the late 1980s and the 1990s, and later in Bad Girls and The Archers.

Early career

Trained at the Sylvia Young Theatre School, Bright appeared as Sally Simpkins in two series (and a Christmas special) of the ITV children's TV series, T-Bag, and as "Little Girl" in the BBC children's series Maid Marian and her Merry Men before landing the role of Joanna Burrows on ITV sitcom The Upper Hand, a British remake of the US sitcom Who's the Boss?. Bright played the role of the housekeeper's daughter, the UK counterpart to Alyssa Milano's role, from 1990 to 1996.

Adult roles

Later roles included fraudster and lesbian Cassie Tyler in series four of British prison drama Bad Girls, The House That Jack Built with Adam Faith, and Ali G's girlfriend, "Me Julie", in film Ali G Indahouse (all 2002). More recently, Bright has appeared in the film Kinky Boots and several episodes of ITV's Jericho (both 2005)

Bright has also played the role of Kate Madikane, née Aldridge in the BBC Radio 4 soap opera The Archers on and off since 1995, and appeared onstage in 2005 in Paul. In July 2008, she appeared in an episode of the fifth series of New Tricks as Sarah Madley. This was shown on BBC1 on 21 July.

In 2009 she appeared in the BBC Three comedy show Horne & Corden. Kellie appeared in Series 4 Ep 5 of Hotel Babylon as motivational expert, Meredith Armstrong. This first aired 24 July 2009. In August 2009, Kellie played Joy Miller, mother of patient Lucy in the hospital drama Holby City. This was shown on BBC1 on 11 August.

She is currently best known as Joan Mavis Trotter in the Only Fools and Horses prequel series Rock & Chips which aired on 24 January 2010, 29 December 2010, and 28 April 2011 on BBC1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellie_Bright
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice gentle comedy.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honor Blackman was fabulous in this. I enjoyed the lead up to them getting together but it didn't feel quite the same afterwards.
  • Options
    billyboy789billyboy789 Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this a version of a US Sit-Com ?

Never quite worked for me.

The premise of a male housekeeper was rather improbable, and him being straight and hunky
    just made it crazeee !
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was- It was called Who's the Boss with Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano. It was far better than the UK version, which I still quite liked in my teenage years :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086827/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it was- It was called Who's the Boss with Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano. It was far better than the UK version, which I still quite liked in my teenage years :)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086827/

but The Upper Hand was much more popular and well loved over here. One of the few UK remakes of a US show that took off. From what I remember they basically remade all the episodes and the last series had fresh original episodes, hench the drop in quality and ended after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More popular, but not better ;)

I had already seen all of the Who's the Boss episodes from when it was on at 5.30 after school. So when they showed the exact same plots in the Uk version but tried to sell it to me at prime time, I wasn't having any of it!
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, but I think the fact that I had a huge crush on Joe McGann had a lot to with it:o:D
    I saw Kellie Bright in King Lear a while back - she and the young boy who played the boss' son were both quite good in it, as I remember, and I've always liked Honor Blackman - such an elegant woman.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The McGann's are talented actors.

lways enjoy watching their stuff.

With one exception:rolleyes:
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kellie Bright, gorgeous :D
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I always liked this sitcom have it all on DVD. The US version i believe ended with the two leads not getting together that is why i prefer the British version although RTE here sometimes shows 'Who's the Boss'. I loved the episode when after the leads admitted there feelings to each other and they are trying to have a quiet night in with out the family knowing they are an item. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't really remember the ending of Who's the Boss now you mention it... might look that up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good old Wikipedia:

"At the start of the eighth season, Tony and Angela finally acknowledge their love for each other. However, the series does not end with the widely expected marriage but on a more ambiguous note. This was due primarily to concerns by the network that a marriage, representing a definitive ending, could hurt syndication. Tony Danza, too, vehemently opposed the marriage, saying it would contradict the original purpose of the show."

Whereas the Upper Hand:

"Both Caroline and Charlie repeatedly attempt to find love elsewhere. For years denying their blossoming feelings for one another, they lead the viewer on a will-they-won't-they chase lasting until the end of the sixth series. The seventh series saw them as husband and wife which went beyond the premise of the American version"
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to love Kellie in this. Hopefully a boxset will get released soon.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved watching The Upper Hand back in the '90s. I'll always remember Tom's deep voice saying: "hey Charlie".
  • Options
    highnalhighnal Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember watching it when I was younger but don't really remember any details about it.... apart from the awesome theme tune!
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honor Blackman was the only redeeming feature of this limp comedy for me.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too!

I also liked Who's the Boss.

I'd like to watch The Upper Hand again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Gold airing it years ago on a afternoon.
  • Options
    steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Kellie Bright, gorgeous :D

Maybe ten years ago, now she is just meh.
  • Options
    maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana Weston who played Caroline had an attractive eh ..personality
    this is a pic of her in The Sweeney..maybe this should be in the Best Boobs thread

th_830946278_diana_weston___feet_of_clay.mp4_snapshot_00.06_2012.06.16_09.04.28_122_457lo.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    highnal wrote: »
    Remember watching it when I was younger but don't really remember any details about it.... apart from the awesome theme tune!

IIRC, the theme tune was the same, or at least a re-arrangement, of Knots Landing's theme tune
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe ten years ago, now she is just meh.

I dunno. I wouldnt kick her out of bed.