Options

David Hockney's Flotilla Painting

Comments

• Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Casting a critical eye over this piece, I feel that Hockney has conceptually activated the ridulous nature of monarchy in a highly accessible piece of work.

The devious simplicity of using what can only be described as a floating prison ship to represent the barbaric conditions of the slave labour bussed in to police the event. Or perhaps it's a metaphor which signifies the cage mentality of the flag-wavers, trapped by their inability to escape from a rose-tinted past?

The image of the Duke turning blue in the cold, spatially undermining the joyous celebrations by being hospitalised, lends a touch of pathos, while the painter's use of vivid grey colours and the formal juxtaposition of rain on flotilla perfectly sums up what a dismal washout the whole event was.

In summary, Hockney has captured the dying nature of a medieval relic, a moment when the monarchy did indeed become history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    ladymoanalot: a great painting. You are a good painter.

Ahh thanks. I am not great but I do enjoy it. I have run out of room for them all now though:D
  • Options
    Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's absolute rubbish but as others have said, it's all subjective anyway :D
  • Options
    pastanuttypastanutty Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    its art so it must be good
    personally its absolute rubbish looks like something a child would send in to the Sun for a competition...
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, might be worth a trip.

I tried to do my own Hockney inspired painting, it is not great and i got more paint on the floor but I enjoyed doing it.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/fairladyzxgirl/?action=view&current=425351_10151384385115160_1588288742_n.jpg

Ladymoanalot, that is amazing! You would definitely win a game of 'draw something' against Hockney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ladymoanalot, that is amazing! You would definitely win a game of 'draw something' against Hockney

Thank you very much, I wish I could get Hockney money for them lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member

I tried to do my own Hockney inspired painting, it is not great and i got more paint on the floor but I enjoyed doing it.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/fairladyzxgirl/?action=view&current=425351_10151384385115160_1588288742_n.jpg
    That's really good! Looks like the future as seen from the 1950s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the use of artistic licence, putting Tower Bridge next to Krakatoa.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it looked like an entry for the under 5' section of a 'Paint the Jubilee' Blue Peter contest.

I've got no problem with artist's like Hockney expressing his art in this way. What I do have a problem with, in these sparten times, is some twonk buying it for £500,000, or some other ridiculous amount!
  • Options
    JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like it's moving with the water coming towards us.
    Or did I drink too much last night.
    Apart from that. I's a no from me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really like your painting, ladymoanalot! Showed it to OH and he said he likes it better than Hockney's!
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's amazing, all the small details and the shading is great! And the retro feel of it is so cool, I would love to see more of your work.
  • Options
    peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would do a better job than that on DrawSomething.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itwasn'tme wrote: »
    I really like your painting, ladymoanalot! Showed it to OH and he said he likes it better than Hockney's!
    That's amazing, all the small details and the shading is great! And the retro feel of it is so cool, I would love to see more of your work.

Cheers guys. I am a tad obsessed with the 1950s, so I tend to do paintings in a 50s style.
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what's the big blue mountain on the right supposed to be? I must have missed that when driving around London. Is it the Shard :D

Does slightly annoy me that someone can get away with the childish mess that this "painting" is just because of their name. Sure his prior work might be good but this one certainly isn't!
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    personally i find a lot of interest here,
    far more so than those overblown photo based landscape things and the like
    i've never rated hockney as a painter, he's drawings have always been the thing for me

in some ways it's looking back to some of (IMO) his best work,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hockney,_We_Two_Boys_Together_Clinging.jpg
    they may be paintings but the main work is the drawing

there's a bit of http://www.jeandufy.com/en/68.htm and http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/piper-covehithe-church-t03818
    trying to find equivalents for what your trying to represent given the restrictions and opportunities of your media of choice
  • Options
    steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Have you seen it yet?

If not, here it is.

The story goes that he did it on an ipad.

So?

My view is it looks like something a child would produce. Perhaps that was intent, to show the magic of the day (debatable) through the non-cynical, inspired eyes of a child.

Personally, i just think its lazy tat.

He's going to present this to the Queen. Maybe she should chop his head off?

Thoughts?

I am a fan of Hockneys work but that has crap written all over it

Looks like dementia has started to kick in.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is Hockney - 11?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see Ladymoanalots take of the pageant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    warszawa wrote: »
    How old is Hockney - 11?

From that effort i'd say he is still in diapers. :D
  • Options
    chynapearlchynapearl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    love the rain depicted as diamonds against the sky but its crap lazy art
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About as much artistic talent there as one might find from pupils in an infant school, painting in total darkness, probably far less.

Although of course if Hockney had painted this effort by holding the handle of a 10 cm brush in a place the sun does not shine and squatted over the canvas to paint it one could be described him as having some type of talent:D
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it. It captures movement, joy and spirit simply. People always say 'I could do that' when they see a painting, but they are not Hockney.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With some of their works you can tell these type of artists really are talented, and so I don't why they want to paint like crap.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    I like it. It captures movement, joy and spirit simply. People always say 'I could do that' when they see a painting, but they are not Hockney.

Which is exactly my issue with modern art. It's not about the skills or the imagination used. It's about whose name is on the white label. Ingratiate yourself with the right folk from the art clique and you can get yourself some "awards" and then shift any old crap for a small fortune.