Options

Woman receives horrific abuse for wanting to discuss sexism in video games

Comments

• Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Bogz wrote: »
    She wanted $6,000 to study sexism in video gaming.

Waste of money, has she never played Tomb Raider?

And what about all the male sterotypes in games?
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    But video games are aimed at men who don't have a girlfriend. So obviously the women are going to be a stereotype - it's just anything it takes to makes them feel a little superior. I wouldn't get worked up about it, if anything it's kind of funny.
    You're both probably right, stereotypes are everywhere, they're a fact of life as is sexism (which goes both ways). But, someone should be able to comment on it and ask for funding to look into it without being subjected to abuse and threats from people who can't think of a decent counter argument to what she's saying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how many women complain about the new Yorkie adverts, where the man had to bring the shopping in because the woman was sat on the sofa doing her nails.

I would, if that were the point of the advert. I hate that kind of shit even though I could 'benefit' from it, in a narrow and confining way. But that's not the point of the advert, the point is he's been to the shops and is doing that thing where you have 2 dozen shopping bags and string them on your arms up to the oxters and struggle in feeling like The Hulk. It still annoys me because I do that every single time I get shopping and I'm a woman, but less so than it would if it was 'oh look at this dippy woman doing her nails while her man provides for her.'

Most of the decent gamer guys I know hate the tropes of women in games, as they should. It's not true to say it has no effect. You might not see or be able to fathom the effect but it's just one of a million pieces of misogynist culture, and that shit adds up. Combating it is a good thing. How can it not be? Wah, we can't portray women as sex objects or weaklings, how else are we supposed to have any fun?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Sadly, it's more serious than that. It becomes cyclical. The way that women are presented in some games is disgusting. Men who don't have a girlfriend play them. They play them, it re-inforces their stereotypes and makes said stereotypes more extreme.

Whilst it tells any women that plays them exactly how they should behave.
    Unfortunatley that is just a problem with some men, you can't blame video games for that. This is just another stick to beat video games with imo. There are plenty of strong female role models in gaming eg , Lara Croft, Trip from Enslaved to name but a few.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thinks you should behave as you do in a video game. I like ones now and again where you shoot zombies but I'm the least likely person to do this in real life.

No, but a lot of society's values are present in games, however subtely they are placed.

Bogz wrote: »
    more rubbish.

Most of the female characters that are in games are intelligent, heroric and sexy.

Also as a gamer, I don't know any body who takes the female characters serious, or for that matter male ones.

So apart from having a sexy body, what steroetype or they?

They have an incredibly sexy body - heroines tend (generalisation, not all) to be sexily dressed. Males heroes tend to be a variety of different types, inverting the strong, male type. You also have a variety of games that use prostitutes in them - some of them even allowing you to 'use' them for more health. There are a lot more but I have neither the time nor the energy to post them. If you're interested, research ludology in a bit more detail.

Again, it's not about taking them seriously. There's a string of prominent ludologists who believe that games are a reflection of culture. You don't need to be a genius to work out that some of those stereotypes can be harmful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    Unfortunatley that is just a problem with some men, you can't blame video games for that. This is just another stick to beat video games with imo. There are plenty of strong female role models in gaming eg , Lara Croft, Trip from Enslaved to name but a few.

I'm not blaming video games. I'm an avid gamer myself, having played games since I was about nine. I'm just posting my observations.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Sadly, it's more serious than that. It becomes cyclical. The way that women are presented in some games is disgusting. Men who don't have a girlfriend play them. They play them, it re-inforces their stereotypes and makes said stereotypes more extreme.

Whilst it tells any women that plays them exactly how they should behave.

Have you got any examples because I really can't recall any instances. Maybe it's the games I play but women are generally protrayed pretty positively in games like LA Noire, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed etc. Women don't feature at all in popular shooters like Call of Duty or Halo. Sure, there are prostitutes in the Grand Theft Auto series but that's ironic as any fule kno.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I've noticed that almost any Youtube video involving a woman often becomes the target for disgusting, abusive comments, usually sexual and often violent. It is very depressing. It doesn't matter what the woman is doing, or whether or not she is attractive, fully-clothed or even of age. It still happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not blaming video games. I'm an avid gamer myself, having played games since I was about nine. I'm just posting my observations.
    Ok sorry . But its interesting that I mentioned Enslaved because in that game the lead character (male) in my opinion is portrayed as a stupid clumsy oaf (something I as a male didnt mind in fact I found it funny).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got any examples because I really can't recall any instances. Maybe it's the games I play but women are generally protrayed pretty positively in games like LA Noire, Metal Gear Solid, Assassin's Creed etc. Women don't feature at all in popular shooters like Call of Duty or Halo. Sure, there are prostitutes in the Grand Theft Auto series but that's ironic as any fule kno.

Well, one certainly springs into mind from one of the examples you gave: Cortana. As I said, I don't have the time or the energy to go into the debate properly, even though I'm stupidly still replying.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    I've noticed that almost any Youtube video involving a woman often becomes the target for disgusting, abusive comments, usually sexual and often violent. It is very depressing. It doesn't matter what the woman is doing, or whether or not she is attractive, fully-clothed or even of age. It still happens.

Exactly, and that is the issue. The fact that women can't make any comment any place online without receiving vicious sexual attacks from people who simply disagree with them.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    Exactly, and that is the issue. The fact that women can't make any comment any place online without receiving vicious sexual attacks from people who simply disagree with them.

Youtube is like that for anyone
    I have recently been looking at exercise stuff and a guy is getting racist abuse in the comments for his vid
    I do agree that games can be very sexist against women though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallaha wrote: »
    Sadly Youtube is a breeding ground for all the morons of the world to meet. I watched a clip on their of Patrick Viera playing for France in the 98 World Cup and in amongst the comments were some disgusting vile racist ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst disapproving of the abuse she received, I have to say that she is very tedious. She over-analyses everything. But I suppose that's her job - to think too much.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the latest game, Lara Croft has to face the "challenge" of opponents trying to rape her, and if she doesn't fight back hard enough, she "fails" and is raped (and possibly dies). Super feminist!
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    I'm really incredulous that THIS part of the story that everyone is focussing on.

The article is not about whether there is stereotyping in video games or not, it's about a woman who wants to discuss a topic she cares about being the target of HORRIFIC abuse.

IF a man had posted a video on YouTube about how he wanted to discuss this topic, do you think he'd find his Wiki photo had been changed to an explicit sex act? Do you think his videos would be flagged for terrorism? Do you think he'd receive violent and sexually violent threats? Do you think his clothing, hairstyle and face would be attacked? Do you think his racial heritage would be used against him in an aggressive way?

Yes, this is the internet we are talking about. LOL, FTW ROLFCOPTER, 1337 and all that crap, the internet is a weird place and when one of the 'geeks' who uses such things as above gets hold of something they think it is funny, they will post it,deface it and upload it to various forums or what not, this happens to men and women.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women are mostly mutilated bodies in LA Noire, and there's only one mainish female character as far as I know. Women not featuring in games is part of the problem. And "ironic" sexism is still sexism, sadly.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    It's not always women who get abuse on Xbox Live. I was told by a gamer they were going to "rape my mother and burn my house down". I lol'd. :p

There'll always be childish, immature ass clowns in the video game world who grief others. I just don't get this faux "OH MI GODD AV BN TROLLED" mentality that the media are running away with. It's like the media are somehow brand new to the internet, forums, trolling and video gaming. Next week the media discover BBM and text messaging.

I'm not saying it's always women who get abused in games. But it is women who get abused for simply being women in games. That's why I said it was an 'extra heap of abuse'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    In the latest game, Lara Croft has to face the "challenge" of opponents trying to rape her, and if she doesn't fight back hard enough, she "fails" and is raped (and possibly dies). Super feminist!
    The synopsis does not mention anything about rape . Just that she has to escape from some mercenarys . I doubt a game would use "rape" as a feature . I don't think women are badly portrayed in games at all (apart from GTA prostitutes etc).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I loved the first GTA game, where you just drove round nicking stuff and causing havoc. The prostitutes don't add anything to it and just put me off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I haven't lived a sheltered life by any means but this stuff is shockingly contemptible to me.

I am also puzzled by the glib "jokes" in the posts above, did you read the article and links and feel it was OK to add to the abuse. Whether games are targeted or not does that justify this level of hatred for someone is just proposing to do research?

I only game with my friends and family co-op (in person), but as far as I can tell, It's pretty much par for the course online.

P.S. I'd switch 'glib' for 'incredibly dumb'.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well women can get the last laugh. It just adds to the stereotype that hardcore gamers are sad messed up males without a girlfriend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The synopsis does not mention anything about rape . Just that she has to escape from some mercenarys . I doubt a game would use "rape" as a feature . I don't think women are badly portrayed in games at all (apart from GTA prostitutes etc).
    Article about it here at Kotaku with quotes from the executive producer about it.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    pickwick wrote: »
    Women are mostly mutilated bodies in LA Noire, and there's only one mainish female character as far as I know. Women not featuring in games is part of the problem. And "ironic" sexism is still sexism, sadly.

Yes, there are female murder victims in the game but as LA Noire is reflecting the genre of Hollywood noire films, that's to be expected - it doesn't make it sexist. You might as well object to all the dead men in war films.

I really don't see that not featuring women in games is part of the problem. The vast majority of games are targeted at men and reflect male fantasies of being a soldier, cop, cowboy, warrior, criminal etc. Given that agenda, I would say that gamemakers are remarkably responsible in not ladling on female stereotypes.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's pretty sad what she's been subjected to, all very well to say it should ignored but sometimes it's hard to. I've encountered so much abuse online that I changed my xbox tag to a gender neutral one after I got sick of constant digs and unsporting behaviour. I play mainly racing games online and I tend to be quite good at them (Forza esp!) and I often beat other players. Occasionally I'd get a congratulations message if I beat someone in a close race but mainly just abuse or I'd be voted out of the game lobby. Some men really hate getting beaten by a woman and can't except it. I've been told I was going to be raped, I'm ugly, I'm a ho, I was clearly just a butch ugly lesbian, all the usual cheap shots. One of the funniest digs I got was some random german sending me an abusive message and a picture (see link!), I hadn't ever raced him before ever!! Not once had I ever spoken to him or been in contact.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/30042721657260839254528.jpg/

So I went stealth and changed my profile and immediately noticed a much nicer online experience. I'm allowed to race without people ramming me off the road simply for being who I am. As a matter of interest I keep a really overly girlie 'Hello Kitty' style paint job for one of my race cars (will have to pic it later) and occasionally use it. I notice my likelyhood of being able to make a single ovetake without being rammed disappears, people will try and ruin my races yet were happy to see me cruise past them when they thought I was just another bloke. My own experiences have shown that being female in the world of online gaming requires a thick skin!!