Options

Humax PVR fails to record Coronation Street

N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,701
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello.

Yesterday, our Humax PVR failed to record Coronation Street.
A realitve's Humax PVR also failed to record Coronation Street, but their Panasonic PVR ( using the same aerial ) succeeded.

Can anyone explaing what went wrong?
Did the preceding footbal overrun? Is there a timeframe within which the PVRs consider the programme to be late, but outstide which the PVRs consider the programme to be not transmitted? If so, does this timeframe differ between the Humax and the Pansonic?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be due to a number of reasons.

The commonest reason on a Humax PVR is that the PVR is tuned into more than one transmitter and the Humax has got confused for which one it should be looking at for the start.

The commonest symptom of being tuned to more than one transmitter apart from the recording issue is the epg being more reluctant than normal to polulate and having multiple versions of the same channel and/or channel numbers in the 800s immediately after tuning.

To get rid of that possibility that this is due to not being tuned in a way that makes the Humax happy delete all TV and radio channels and then manually tune to the transmitter with the best reception for the aerial system that is in place.

For how to do this see http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57505565&postcount=4
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple ... the Humax didn't pick up on the series record function, probably !

For something like Corrie, especially when on a non standard evening, the best thing is to set a single recording for that date.

And check the EPG on the day.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    For something like Corrie, especially when on a non standard evening, the best thing is to set a single recording for that date.
    But that is the whole point of series record. It works very well for us and I agree with Luis that the prime suspect would be a mistuned box.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It worked fine on a Foxsat-hdr. I concur with the advice re multi - transmitter reception.

Not had a problem with ITV or BBC series recordings on Freesat or Freeview for months.

I generally have a quick look at the recording schedule most days to check that series reservations have updated to the next event OK.
  • Options
    Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely agree with Luis, Martin and Graham, what you are suggesting is a work-around rather than tackling the problem at source. My correctly tuned 9200 has no problem picking up these out of sequence episodes, famous last words. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have 5 PVR's, occasionally 2 of them will not pick up series links when changed, nor programme times when changed.

So my experience is as above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 5 PVR's, occasionally 2 of them will not pick up series links when changed, nor programme times when changed.

So my experience is as above.

Are they Humax models ?. If not fail to see the relevance. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three are.

I await comments from people with actual experience of "double tuning"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the PVRs are correctly tuned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three are.

Which doesn't answer the question, what are the two that drop series reservations (make and model) and do they have channels from more than 1 transmitter ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are all over this forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N.Dean wrote: »
    Hello.

Yesterday, our Humax PVR failed to record Coronation Street.
    A relatives' Humax PVR also failed to record Coronation Street, but their Panasonic PVR ( using the same aerial ) succeeded.
    Thanks.

All the PVRs are correctly tuned.

Which goes back to my original suggestion !!

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Worked fine on my 9200T, but then I did have to retune yesterday as it was switchover stage 1 so had to reset all my series links.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion.

As the Humax PVRs have not missed a recording for a few months, I became complacent ( "set and forget" ).
    On non-standard evenings, or when broadcasts could be delayed due to a live event, I will check the recording schedules before the due time.

Our Humax always failed to record, from standby, the second Corry on Mondays, if it was preceded by Caroline Quentin's Cornwall programme. Since the Cornwall programme has finished, the PVR has not missed any recordings, until yesterday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Humax always failed to record, from standby, the second Corry on Mondays, if it was preceded by Caroline Quentin's Cornwall programme. Since the Cornwall programme has finished, the PVR has not missed any recordings, until yesterday.

You must be using software v26 on your 9150, this version appears to have a problem recording consecutive programmes from STANDBY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    You must be using software v26 on your 9150, this version appears to have a problem recording consecutive programmes from STANDBY.

I don't know what version of software it has, but I will have to get into the habit of setting the machine to "on" ( rather than "standby" ) when broadcasts could be delayed due to a live event.
    This worked around the Monday problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three are.

Since the increase in power of digital tramsmitters at dso there are hundreds of posts from similary affected posters

An autotune on any of my kit tunes channels from Sutton Coldfield and Lark Stoke. Under tropho lift conditions you can add the Wrekin and possibly others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestion.

As the Humax PVRs have not missed a recording for a few months, I became complacent ( "set and forget" ).
    On non-standard evenings, or when broadcasts could be delayed due to a live event, I will check the recording schedules before the due time.

Be interesting to see your conclusions, especially if the EPG on the day in fact shows a Series Record link, on a non standard day or time, should it happen again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the increase in power of digital tramsmitters at dso there are hundreds of posts from similary affected posters

An autotune on any of my kit tunes channels from Sutton Coldfield and Lark Stoke. Under tropho lift conditions you can add the Wrekin and possibly others.

Yes. An autotune with the aerial unplgged is a good way to clear the memory. Then a manual tune is the most relaible way to tune to the desired transmitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. An autotune with the aerial unplgged is a good way to clear the memory. Then a manual tune is the most relaible way to tune to the desired transmitter.

No it's not because if the 9150/9200/9300 and earlier models do not find any channels during a search, as will be the case with the aerial removed, then you're not given the option to save the result of the search and so you may be left with all the channels you had before. If this is what you are doing then your manual search is pointless because channels from other transmitters picked up from an Automatic Search (with aerial in) will remain. You need to follow my instructions here.

Having said that, if you are running software v23 or v26 the Automatic Search will delete all old channels before the new search starts, removing the aerial plays no part in deleting the old channels and therefore is not necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lat time I retuned, I cleared out the existing channels first ( although it was so long ago I can't remember how ).
    Anyway, I know that all 3 PVRs in this case are correctly tuned to the strongest trasmitter, so the fault is, as you suggest probably due to as software bug,

Thanks to all for your help.
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Similar here. An autotune pulls in all multiplexes from Sutton Coldfield, Amblecote and some from the Wrekin (I think).

Have to manually tune the two Humax boxes to Sutton Coldifeld although interestingly the two Panasonic TV's pick up the same 12/13 multiplexes but manage to sort themselves out and and only tune in the services from Sutton Coldfield (I assume it does some analysis based on overall signal strength and/or quality of the multiplexes and works out which transmitter is the best one to use).

It's a pity Humax software engineers don't seem to be bothered about enhancing the auto tune functionality - I'm sure it would be worth it. I know a number of people at work who have Humax boxes that fail to record and I know for certain that it is because they are incorrectly tuned (as they say they have duplicates in the 800's). No matter how I explain it to them, they don't seem to grasp the concept and I know that some have ditched Humax and moved to other manufacturers.
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lat time I retuned, I cleared out the existing channels first ( although it was so long ago I can't remember how ).
    Anyway, I know that all 3 PVRs in this case are correctly tuned to the strongest trasmitter, so the fault is, as you suggest probably due to as software bug

The Humax will look for the start indicator not at the frequency on which the programme to be recorded is to be broadcast but at the frequency it is tuned into or was last used. When tuned to multiple transmitters this can cause an issue when the current/last channel used is not from the same transmitter as the next programme to be recorded.

If tuned to one transmitter but the reception from one or more of the frequencies is sometimes poor then this can also cause the same issue.

Are all your channels from your transmitter received OK all of the time?
    Anyway, I know that all 3 PVRs in this case are correctly tuned to the strongest trasmitter, so the fault is, as you suggest probably due to as software bug
    If you cannot remember how then how do you know that you are only tuned to one transmitter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't need to rememeber. When I need to retune ( which I do as little as possible ), I tune manually.
    I note the recording schedule. I use the on-screen instrcutions and the user manual to delete the old channels. I manually tune ( using the UHF channels listed in the TV Viewers' Guide ), in ascending order of LCN. I then re-enter the recording schedule.
    I then check that LCNs 1, 3, 10, 11, 12 are all tuned to the correct transmitter and have good signal strength ( normally about 80% ) and quality ( always 100% ).

If I use automatic tuning, the receiver tunes to an unwanted transmitter which is in the same direction as the wanted transmitter and on lower frequencies.

I suspect that the fact that the machine has missed one recording in several months points to a software bug more than to mistuning.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that the fact that the machine has missed one recording in several months points to a software bug more than to mistuning.

Thanks for your suggestions.

One recording in several months sounds to me like a crid screw up by the broadcaster. It's not unknown for them to be incorrectly specified. After ITV1-HD was launched there was a spate of failed recordings down to the broadcaster changing the event id's after the reservation was set. I have also seen series crid's changed mid series.

Channel 5 are incapable of getting them right, try setting a series recording for the lunchtime editions of Home & Away and Neighbours. Because of the way the CH5 code the two crids it switches to recording the next episodes on 5* in the early evening (on pair of recordings I use a manual weekday repeat). As I said before ITV (now) and BBC are generally very reliable.